It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Barack Gives Michelle Birthday Gift that Costs Taxpayers at least $63,000

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 6 2014 @ 10:46 AM
link   
Barack gives Michelle some extra time in Hawaii without him as a birthday gift ... and it costs us taxpayers at least $63,000. Couldn't these elite DC politicians be a little more careful with our tax money? If he wants to give her a gift of getting away from him ... GREAT! Just reimburse the taxpayer for the additional money of ours that you spend being so care-free.

** Amount is based upon the link given. If anyone can dispute that amount ... please do. Make me happy and show that they aren't spending it. I'll give ya' a star.

I get that they are entitled to vacation time. But they are reckless with our tax money. Not to mention the extra carbon footprint burden that these supposed 'green' people are so intense about.

President Leaves Michelle Obama in Hawaii as Birthday Present

President Barack Obama and daughters Malia and Sasha left their vacation in Hawaii on Saturday, but left First Lady Michelle Obama behind on the islands, according to news agency reports. The president reportedly let his wife stay on in Hawaii with friends as a "birthday present." Michelle Obama will turn 50 years old on Jan. 17.

It is a birthday present whose costs, in separate travel and security expenses, are likely to be borne, in part, by taxpayers. On a previous occasion, when Mrs. Obama left for a Hawaii vacation in advance of her husband, the additional cost to the Treasury was estimated to be at least $63,000, and potentially upwards of $100,000.

Oh ... and they took separate flights out TO Hawaii as well.
White House Dossier
Couldn't they make an effort to be more careful with our money?
I get that vacations are a part of the deal, but this extra flight time is unnecessary.

Washington Times - Obama's birthday gift to Michelle - Remain in Hawaii Without Him

Mr. Obama and daughters Sasha and Malia will return to the White House on Sunday, but first lady Michelle Obama will remain in Hawaii for another few days, according to the White House. As they typically do, the first family spent the holiday season in Hawaii on an extended luxury vacation.

Daily Mail - Obama's 50th Birthday Present to Wife Michelle - Time Alone in Hawaii Without Him

I'm sure the far left will call me picky ... but I don't care. I'm seeing unnecessary elitism waste of our tax money that they should be careful about spending for their own amusements.
edit on 1/6/2014 by FlyersFan because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 6 2014 @ 10:51 AM
link   
I hate to note something here, because I was annoyed to no end in my PLS course to learn it myself.

However, when not actually on White House grounds? The First Lady travels with and carries the rank with privileges of a full ranked U.S. Ambassador. So...... I'm quick to note things on these two freeloaders of the public wealth (in my opinion)...but this one? Well, she's going to cost money anywhere she is.

How much more was this than if she'd touched based at Andrews and flew right off to a overnight speaking engagement for a First Lady project or whatever?

posted on Jan, 6 2014 @ 10:58 AM
link   
Jeez Louise. Any vacation I ever get I pay every nickel for out of my own earnings. Then I pay double in a sense because while I'm vacationing I'm not working and earning. Why can't this simple idea be applied to politicians. Isn't there enough waste in the budget as it is?

posted on Jan, 6 2014 @ 11:05 AM
link   
reply to post by Urantia1111

It is only waste as far as you are concerned. It is normal as far as they are concerned. $63,000 is chump change to the USA govt......

posted on Jan, 6 2014 @ 11:24 AM
link   
Bankers took bilions and you worry about 63 k?

posted on Jan, 6 2014 @ 11:25 AM
link   
Michelle Obama... Proof money can't buy you class

posted on Jan, 6 2014 @ 11:29 AM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

All politicians these days are only in it for the money, and there's plenty of other people's money in the taxpayer pot to loot. It's easy for them to be generous with other people's money whilst hoarding their own personal wealth. It's totally obscene IMO.

Our politicians are as bad. They've cleaned the pot out but instead of making tax-dodgers pay their fair share or forego their own inflation-busting pay rises and expenses claims, they take more from the already lean incomes of citizens and choke off funding to public services to a trickle. No sacrifices from them though, still filling their pockets, no better than pigs with their snouts snaffling and grunting in the taxpayer trough, whilst our elderly freeze or starve and disabled left with no money for weeks, and poor people being evicted. This vile government is the most hated that I can remember in 56 years of my life, hated more than Thatcher IMO.

Politicians are bereft of a conscience, just sociopaths motivated only by greed. They totally disgust me.

posted on Jan, 6 2014 @ 11:35 AM
link   
I'm not sure i understand, because of the fact she is married to the President, she is allowed no independant travel or holidays because it costs too much?
I'd tell you to go and stuff yourselves.

posted on Jan, 6 2014 @ 11:35 AM
link   

Mamatus
$63,000 is chump change to the USA govt......

Every penny counts ... every drop of water in a bucket will eventually fill the bucket.
$63,000 here ... $63,000 there ... it adds up.
And it shows a disrespect for the taxpayer.
It would have been just as easy for them all to ride together for the vacation.
But instead ... jack the cost up by riding separately ... both going out to Hawaii
and coming back.

posted on Jan, 6 2014 @ 11:37 AM
link   

Wrabbit2000
How much more was this than if she'd touched based at Andrews and flew right off to a overnight speaking engagement for a First Lady project or whatever?

This is supposedly a gift for her to hang with friends. I gave a link showing the separate flight costs. If she is going to speak at an event while in Hawaii (and I have no idea if she is ), she could have done it while they were on vacation there and still flew out and back together.

posted on Jan, 6 2014 @ 11:40 AM
link   

I get that they are entitled to vacation time.

"ENTITLED" Not even close.

These people spend millions on vacations that happen almost every Month. ESPECIALLY her.

Run the Damn Country and make sure that those "Less Entitled" get a decent meal and a roof. That's their job before being entitled to anything.

Peace

posted on Jan, 6 2014 @ 11:40 AM
link   

WilsonWilson
I'm not sure i understand, because of the fact she is married to the President, she is allowed no independant travel or holidays because it costs too much? I'd tell you to go and stuff yourselves.

She can travel independently on holidays or vacation ... sure ... IF SHE PAYS FOR IT. There is no reason for the US Taxpayer to have to pick up the tab for her spending extra time in Hawaii, when she could have saved us all money and come home on the same flight as her husband.

She has no respect for the taxpayer.

posted on Jan, 6 2014 @ 11:45 AM
link   

Oh, fair enough and it's a judgement thing. If nothing else, it's appearances. The Obama's are absolutely uncaring and unconcerned about appearances to anyone, on anything. That is disturbing in a real way given their position as the public face of the United States.

I'm also thinking there is more to the story, frankly. We heard about trouble in the happy homestead of the 2nd floor residence during the South Africa/Mandela Memorial event and there has been more talk since that Barack and Michelle may not be the happiest couple to ever coexist. So..I honestly wonder who this was meant as a present to. Her or Himself? lol....

I just pray that if marital issues and lack of bliss are involved, they do find the class to sit on that until he's out of office. A presidential divorce with kids would be a first in modern history at least, and the last thing our nation needs. Months of non-stop distraction, eh?

posted on Jan, 6 2014 @ 11:48 AM
link   

She can travel independently on holidays or vacation ... sure ... IF SHE PAYS FOR IT.

Flyers... She is a 100% REAL, full rank United States Ambassador when not on White House property. That comes with a travel budget, office and staff budget and projects budget.

She doesn't have to pay for her own travels if she can link them into her duties as 'Ambassador at Large' or is simply extending (like this) something she's already on as a matter of her proximity to the President and what he has the right to do.

It was low class, I'll agree...but nothing actually improper here.

posted on Jan, 6 2014 @ 11:48 AM
link   

WilsonWilson
I'm not sure i understand, because of the fact she is married to the President, she is allowed no independant travel or holidays because it costs too much?
I'd tell you to go and stuff yourselves.

Why can't her hubby pay for her birthday prezzie out of his own salary like the rest of us have to? He married her and she 's his bloody missus nobody else's.

posted on Jan, 6 2014 @ 11:50 AM
link   
reply to post by Urantia1111

You don't get paid vacation time? Your in the wrong business. My youngest who washes dishes at a restaurant after school gets paid vacation.

posted on Jan, 6 2014 @ 11:54 AM
link   
This does not surprise me one bit. 63k is a drop of water in the 'bucket' for a high profile person like the President.

That men may know that thou, whose name alone is JEHOVAH, art the most high over all the earth. (KJV)

posted on Jan, 6 2014 @ 11:54 AM
link   

Wrabbit2000
Flyers... She is a 100% REAL, full rank United States Ambassador when not on White House property.

I get it. I understand she is entitled to it by the law.

When I say that she should pay for it, I mean MORALLY she is wrong.
She's taking advantage of the taxpayer. IMHO.

posted on Jan, 6 2014 @ 11:55 AM
link   
I think the bigger story is what seems to point to friction and an increasingly rocky relationship between Mr and Mrs Obama.

It must have begun awhile back but remember the Mandela funeral photos? Oh yeah, these two must be miserable to be around when they are together...

posted on Jan, 6 2014 @ 12:00 PM
link   
Here's something interesting: I just did an ATS search on First Lady Laura Bush. I didn't open every message independently, but from the summaries, I don't see one post regarding her vacations, vacation time, travel expenses, etc.

Hmmm. I wonder what's different about Mrs. Obama? Very odd.

ADDED IN EDIT: Here's a link to the search - ATS Search Laura Bush
edit on 12Mon, 06 Jan 2014 12:01:21 -060014p122014166 by Gryphon66 because: Added link

ADDED IN ANOTHER EDIT:

Maybe this might explain some of the duties of the First Lady?

FlyersFan

Originally posted by syntaxer
Laura Bush stay at home mom? give me a break, this woman has never washed a load of laundry for herself or her family since the 70's.
Makes you wonder what this woman has been doing with her life other than loafting around

Betchya you are wrong about the laundry thing. Terry Kerry wouldn't
know a whites vs durables load of laundry, but I betchya Laura does.
Too bad we will never be able to settle this.

Laura loafing? Considering her position as First Lady of the Nation
for the past four years, and First Lady of Texas before that ... the
statement 'Laura loafing' is entirely off the mark. The positions of
First Lady of ANY state and First Lady of the country are VERY hectic
and involved. There are MANY meetings to attend, organization of
meetings and events, attending events, speeches to be organized
and made, and in the case of First Lady of America there are international
meetings and events that have to be coordinated and attended.
The First Lady of the nation also has to coordinate the White House
Christmas. It's not an easy thing to do. Preparations are started a
year in advance. Artists are interviewed from each state, decisions are
made on artwork and events and things are planned.

Laura isn't watching Oprah and eatting bonbons ya know.

edit on 12Mon, 06 Jan 2014 12:07:57 -060014p122014166 by Gryphon66 because: Research

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join