It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Getting people to believe in conspiracy theories?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 20 2004 @ 09:12 AM
link   
Hello there, I live in America, where the land is purged with masses of ignorant people. I don't know where else to put my question, so I'll post it here. My Honors NSL class just recently had a discussion on conspiracy theories. Then my teacher just blatently told the class to never believe conspiracy theories. That's right... NEVER. Without conspiracy theories roaming around, the public would have never been able to investigate the watergate and the CIA. Can someone help me how to pursuade them, or is it just better not trying to come up with my dozens of conspiracy theories which I can think of in a sec...

posted on Nov, 20 2004 @ 09:26 AM
link   
Your teacher is an ignorant boob. He's telling you to be blind, to not use your head, to blindly be lead by whatever you're told is fact.

Ask him about the government
Ask him about UFO's
Ask him about JFK assasination

There are million of conspiracies to choose from. My guess is this teacher just sees black and white with no grey. If you ask enough he(she) will slip and believe at least in some.

posted on Nov, 20 2004 @ 09:33 AM
link   
True... that's a good point. However, the viewpoint at my school believes that UFOs are a joke, and won't believe them until they see them infront of their eyes. Should I try convincing them of the NWO? I can think of a few things which could sway their viewpoints such as...

- The bay of pigs
- Do you really think that overthrowing those dictatorships was just to "Protect American interests?"
- George H. Bush
- The funding of the Vietnam war after they cut the funds.
- The many "black budget" projects of the pentagon
- Those camps which aren't currently active around the United States, but will be once the NWO comes into power.

Anything else? I don't want to look like a total idiot...

posted on Nov, 20 2004 @ 09:56 AM
link   
I'd say your teacher is pretty smart.

let's face it 99.999999% of conspiracy theories are garbage.

No UFO landed at Roswell

The burmuda triangle is nothing more than ao onrdinary patch of ocean.

The only conspiracy in the JFK assaination was the FBI trying to cover thier asses because they dropped the ball and failed to recognise that Oswald was a threat.

The U.S. did not know that the Japanese were going to bomb Pearl Harbor before 12/07/41.

and so on, and so on.

A more appropriate line of inquiry would be

"Why do people feel the need to believe in conspiracy theories?"

Oh, and how do you figure that the Bay of Pigs was a conspiracy?

posted on Nov, 20 2004 @ 10:05 AM
link   
True... but I believe that people should believe in conspiracy theories. Last year, my old history teacher told us that President Roosevelt was intentionally unprepared to go against Pearl Harbor as a pretext of the United States to enter WWII. The NWO actually isn't a conspiracy anymore since if you look at www.whitehouse.gov, you will notice that it is remarkably clear that they want everyone to know about it, as it appeared on a search when you type in "NWO". But there are tons of real conspiracies out there... the thing on the back of the dollar bill... the Echelon, Mk-Ultra, the CIA trading with the Iran-contra to fund the Vietnam war (my dad who works with the government verified this), and many more.

posted on Nov, 20 2004 @ 10:27 AM
link   
Fist of all your teacher is imposing his personal feeling and views, and that is not right, now going against his views will land you a not fair grade in the class, so just let him stay ignorant.

And for conspiracy theories I like them I read them and I enjoyed them.

Now ATS is a conspiracy theories site so I am surprised to see somebody that is here when does not believe in conspiracy theories

Not denial that everybody enjoy a good conspiracy once in a while

posted on Nov, 20 2004 @ 10:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043
And for conspiracy theories I like them I read them and I enjoyed them.

Now ATS is a conspiracy theories site so I am surprised to see somebody that is here when does not believe in conspiracy theories

Not denial that everybody enjoy a good conspiracy once in a while

We would be suprised how a lot of conspiracies are real....the thing is people don't wanna beleive them because they are scared...
The example is the africans in the jungle who are a bit primitive, if you tell them internet and big cities really exist, they would say that you are crazy!Well, we still have a lot to learn even if we are in 2004..so I say people are not crazy to beleive in heavy stuff going on!

Ameliaxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

posted on Nov, 20 2004 @ 10:42 AM
link   
The problem with "conspiracy theories" is "conspiracy theorists". Time and time again, there is far more "disinformation", lies, and deceit observed from purveyors of conspiracy theories than there are from those who are the subjects of the theories! Just take one simple conspiracy theory topic, the Pentagon attack on 9/11/2004. I have a family member (brother) who saw it happen and called me that day to talk about it. He saw the plane, faces in the windows, and impact. I have no doubt that a passenger airline struck the Pentagon. But there are dozens websites (if not hundreds) with alternative theories, many of them conflicting, and all of them written by authors who react with anger if you disagree with their "theory". A fine example of how "conspiracy theorists" utilize disinformation techniques to perpetuate mistruths. This is not to say there are not important conspiracies that need to be researched and uncovered -- there certainly are -- however, the nature of the "conspiracy theory community" as discussed above makes it very difficult for the "average person" to look at our ranting with any degree of credibility.

posted on Nov, 20 2004 @ 10:44 AM
link   
Where there's smoke, there's fire. You might not believe, but most conspiracy theories have some truth to them. Its good to be aware and know of these theories. Then you can chose which you believe.

posted on Nov, 20 2004 @ 12:15 PM
link   
The biggest nonsense is that people talk about "conspriracy theory" as if no one ever tried to hide anything. Does your lecturer know what the next Northrop or Lockheed tactical aircraft is, do they know what the battle plans are for the allied ground forces in Iraq...Of course not.

It is patently absurd to suggest that Governments and Corporations fully disclose the details of everything. Of course companies conspire with each other, it's called a merger or a joint venture and before these plans are announced to the press, it's conspiracy thoery.

It is a fact that the Stealth Aircraft used today were disavowed by the Government for years, their development paid for by the Black budget. It is a fact that the CIA gave University student and other members of the public '___', It is a fact that there was was a remote veiwing team of clairvoyants working for the US military, and presumably there still is.

These things are no longer Conspiracy theory, they are historical fact...

Lets face it, the history we will teach our grandchildren will be quite different to that which we have been taught. In the future there will be revalations that we are not privvy to today, this has always been the case and will not change for the benefit of the sceptics.

The most ludicrous conspiracy theory of all is that no one ever conspired to hide anything...

[edit on 21-11-2004 by Flange Gasket]

posted on Nov, 20 2004 @ 12:21 PM
link   
right. conspiracies hide facts from people.
They develop a story in order to "protect" the people.
Dont tell me some of you think this doesnt exist!

We live and breathe lies every day. Mad Cow, war on terror, who and why people are stepping down from the White House, the CIA, Osama, etc.

If you think you hear the absolute truth on these matters you need a serious wake up call.

posted on Nov, 20 2004 @ 03:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by SkepticOverlord
Time and time again, there is far more "disinformation", lies, and deceit observed from purveyors of conspiracy theories than there are from those who are the subjects of the theories!

Exactly.

A common disinformation technique runs as follows:

1. You seed a conspiracy theory, providing little pieces of information that point to a conspiracy and wait for people to connect the dots. However you hold back important evidence such as documents or photographs that disprove the theory.

2. Conspiracy theorists jump on the initial information and publish articles exposing the"conspiracy" everywhere.

3. When interest is at its peak, you release or "find"(sic) the withheld evidence and publish a spectacular debunking of the original theory. Other websites/publications pick up and spread the evidence.

4. You sit back and smile as the majority of people go back to sleep, convinced that ALL conspiracies are paranoid B.S., and you laugh as the die-hard conspiracy researchers argue amongst themselves and go round in circles.

A good example of this is the Pentagon attack. Another is the "alien autopsy" video.

posted on Nov, 20 2004 @ 04:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by NWObringer
Hello there, I live in America, where the land is purged with masses of ignorant people.

First of all if your going to argue with your teacher you need to get the word "purged" right. Purged usually means emptied, expelled or erased. It appears you were using like it meant something like full. Unless I misunderstood you.

You might want to ask your teacher is she believes that people tell lies. Then you might want to ask why do people tell lies. Since she will have to admit that people lie then you only have to convince her that people lie at all levels, including people who work for our government. You might also check out your local court system I'm sure there's many people being charged with conspiracy to commit "various crimes" every day.

posted on Nov, 21 2004 @ 03:27 PM
link   
Let's start by defining conspiracy theory
conspiracy must have these three parts-secret;plot;more than one person

Now to theory. Think back to elementary science class of the scientific process. Theory is right next to-"law" which is proof that your position is fact. Theory is something that is accepted as true, but cannot be proven. EX Big Bang Theory, and the evolution theory, these are highly tested and credible theories that many people hold as the truth.

I also had an instance in school about conspiracy theories, but it was not my teacher talking about it. It was in my public speaking class, and I talked about the federal reserve and the international bankers behind it. From the looks on their faces, I could tell they had no idea what I was talking about. Ohhh well, My point is just because people might think you're crazy to talk about them don't make that stop you.

posted on Nov, 21 2004 @ 05:15 PM
link   
I think that the scepticism to research for the truth is the allegory that the film "The Matrix" explores.

The Matrix is not a physical thing, it is a mindset, a paradigm which prevents humanity from evolving, an uninformed nonsensical view of history which presents an incredible mythology that denies us our past and our place in it. You come up against this attitude on this website all the time.

A big part of this mind control is to label all serious contemporary historical research as conspiracy theory, and all serious researchers cranks. It is a mindset that allows the most ignorant ill informed dimwit to refuse to accept the most considered well reasearched factual evidence, without considering the obvious stupidity they are displaying.

It is up to the open minded, to take it to them where they live, to allways question and search for the truth regardless of how unlikely it seems or how unfashionable it may be.

top topics

join