It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

An Atheist's Epiphany

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 6 2014 @ 12:03 PM
link   
Why does that "feeling" need to be named as "God"? Why not kjhhlojh?

Problem here is.. the word "God" is already described on what it is.... the phrase "God is Love" does not make sense.

posted on Jan, 6 2014 @ 12:37 PM
link   
reply to post by luciddream

And yet there it was, on a huge billboard: 'God is Love'.
It had never made sense to me before that moment either, and I must have seen it about 100 times. It was a sort of realisation of what Cuervo and others have expressed, that that feeling was called God. It could easily be called krgjj, and then we would be in the same boat, but worshipping krgjj. Does that make sense?

That's what I figured out, and it's the only thing that has made sense since. In other words, that's what people were trying to express before God became personified. Obviously this makes absolutely no sense to people who understand the bible in a different way, and think of God as a being. It also doesn't make sense if you think about the other qualities that God is meant to have.

But at that moment, I understood the billboard, and it has shaped by thinking ever since.

posted on Jan, 6 2014 @ 12:50 PM
link   
reply to post by abeverage

You made me blush!! Unconditionally, of course

posted on Jan, 6 2014 @ 01:10 PM
link   
reply to post by luciddream

Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.

Love never fails. But where there are prophecies, they will cease; where there are tongues, they will be stilled; where there is knowledge, it will pass away. For we know in part and we prophesy in part, but when completeness comes, what is in part disappears. When I was a child, I talked like a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child. When I became a man, I put the ways of childhood behind me. For now we see only a reflection as in a mirror; then we shall see face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I am fully known.

And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love
1 Corinthians 13:4-13

In this the love of God was made manifest among us, that God sent his only Son into the world, so that we might live through him. In this is love, not that we have loved God but that he loved us and sent his Son to be the propitiation for our sins. Beloved, if God so loved us, we also ought to love one another.
1 John 4:9-11

God's love is mentioned 508 times in the old testament and 697 times in the new testament. God is still speaking to your heart. Hopefully his love for you will not go unrequited.

posted on Jan, 6 2014 @ 01:35 PM
link   

beansidhe

You made me blush!! Unconditionally, of course

Is that a good thing?

I never could understand Atheism other than an anger toward being a creation and ones creator. I have always at least been an agnostic (although with angry outbursts toward some unseen deity).

Knowing that given my limited senses that there was much more to this universe than I could possibly fathom let alone understand and comprehend. I would not deny my own ignorance (because of a lack of perceptions and knowledge) by claiming egotistically there is no divine and I am was not possibly created.

Since looking at the evidence of math and order within the seemingly chaotic universe it was more humbling to decide I didn't know, but the possibility was certainly there...

posted on Jan, 6 2014 @ 01:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Josephus

Josephus, that was absolutely beautiful, what a kind thought. I appreciate you taking the time to write. Without doubt, something spoke to my heart, I felt it very powerfully. By your choice of passage, I would guess that you have felt that too, and so you can understand that.

B x
edit on 6-1-2014 by beansidhe because: Sounded a bit glib.

edit on 6-1-2014 by beansidhe because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 6 2014 @ 02:04 PM
link   

Well, therein lies a dilemma I guess. As far as my understanding allows I am an atheist. I suppose it boils down to belief, and I just don't believe in a person-type God as explained in the bible. That's not to say I could ever prove there isn't one, because of course I couldn't.
I wouldn't want anyone not to believe that either, if they want to.

But that moment in time did make sense, and I remember it vividly, which gives it real meaning.

Edit - And, I suppose, God is older than the bible. Our ancestors were trying to convey something - and for me that means ancient Celtic pagans - and I thought at that moment that I understood what they were trying so hard to convey, and pass down through the generations, through personification.
edit on 6-1-2014 by beansidhe because: Not very good at explaining myself, first time round.

posted on Jan, 10 2014 @ 05:25 PM
link   
reply to post by beansidhe

I read your post, So you were in a hospital and met "GOD", and you did not get your head checked then and there?
Im pretty sure it would have rang all my im getting crazy bells.
I wonder if that sign would have triggered a gag reflex,
if your reaction would have been to worship the "devil"?

posted on Jan, 11 2014 @ 05:21 AM
link   
reply to post by Curious69

You didn't really read my post very carefully, I'm afraid.

Would the Devil have triggered a gag reflex? Maybe, if I believed in him!

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join