It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

For the sake of argument, let’s admit that God exists.

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 6 2014 @ 12:12 AM
link   
reply to post by Itisnowagain

Is that a rhetorical question?

posted on Jan, 6 2014 @ 12:19 AM
link   

Aphorism
reply to post by Itisnowagain

posted on Jan, 6 2014 @ 12:26 AM
link   
reply to post by Aphorism

I don't mean to nitpick here, because as I said, this debate is gridlocked, but I'm not sure this thread deals in facts. I find your premise to be flawed.

I don't think we can, at present, accurately even define the CONCEPT of God.

Is God the absolute? Like the ultimate being? Well that identifies him or it as a thing and a thing cannot exist without being in relation to something else.

So that definition doesn't work.
As I said, I don't mean to nitpick. Its just that god is beyond even our capability to understand or express at this point. But I do believe we will gain the understanding, with perfect clarity, that he is real. And I think science will get us there.

posted on Jan, 6 2014 @ 12:29 AM
link   

A flaw in your logic:Anyone can deny anything or deny nothing. Logic is not a prerequisite for denying.

For the sake of an argument you tell me to admit that God only exists to you in the bible and only as a word. So the meaning in the bible of the word God exists to you?
In this, your desire for an argument, you move the word God out of context and yet you can see God still exists outside the bible (yet you said only exists as the word in the bible) and now we see your God is out of the bible and into your mind and ATS.

If you think the question you want an answer to is "what is God" then you should not have declared God to be only existent as only a meaningless word in the bible .
When you talk of God you are just meaning “ the word God in the scriptures” and is this word to you devoid of meaning and context? In the scriptures the word God is not just a word in the book, God has/is life in the scriptures.
If someone told you there was a snake in your bed, you would not think that the WORD SNAKE was in your bed.
All talk about snakes is not talk about just the word snake.

posted on Jan, 6 2014 @ 12:36 AM
link   
reply to post by JayinAR

Is God the absolute? Like the ultimate being? Well that identifies him or it as a thing and a thing cannot exist without being in relation to something else.

Where outside of words do you see any glimpse or mention of God? This is my argument. Surely, when we are discussing "God", we are merely talking about that word and how it is used. Do you disagree?

posted on Jan, 6 2014 @ 12:38 AM
link   

Yes, but how it is used is meaningless, as I have just shown.

posted on Jan, 6 2014 @ 12:39 AM
link   
reply to post by BDBinc

I shouldn't have to re-quote my OP but apparently I do

Plainly stated, since God is only ever found within books, art, rhetoric and from various forms of human expression—indeed, we cannot know about God any other way—we must assume that this is as what, as where, and as how, God exists.

posted on Jan, 6 2014 @ 12:41 AM
link   
reply to post by JayinAR

Yes, but how it is used is meaningless, as I have just shown.

But it means many things to many people. I would agree that you see it as meaningless.

posted on Jan, 6 2014 @ 12:42 AM
link   

It can be reasoned to be meaningless.

posted on Jan, 6 2014 @ 12:44 AM
link   
reply to post by JayinAR

I agree. I don't personally see it as meaningful, but the word nonetheless is still there and used.

posted on Jan, 6 2014 @ 12:47 AM
link   

As an arbitrary and meaningless string of characters. I agree.
Doesn't do any good. May as well rename god as gobbledegook. Holds as much weight rationally.

posted on Jan, 6 2014 @ 01:25 AM
link   

Lol

Your subjective justification does not justify the objectivity of God.

E.g. You are told to pay a fine of 5 dollars to the court, but as an argument, you express that there is an infinite amount of numbers between 0 and 1, so, subjectively, it would be impossible for you to give 5 before you died.

Subjectively, you would be justified. Objectively, you would be thrown in jail.

edit: But A++ for the argument. I enjoyed it.
edit on 1/6/2014 by Bleeeeep because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 6 2014 @ 01:32 AM
link   

If I may,

God is that which is BEFORE the Word.

Shhhhh....

posted on Jan, 6 2014 @ 01:35 AM
link   
reply to post by Custodian

posted on Jan, 6 2014 @ 01:52 AM
link   

Aphorism
reply to post by BDBinc

I shouldn't have to re-quote my OP but apparently I do

Plainly stated, since God is only ever found within books, art, rhetoric and from various forms of human expression—indeed, we cannot know about God any other way—we must assume that this is as what, as where, and as how, God exists.

No you don't and yet you always seem to quote yourself.

Have you seen the world yet.

posted on Jan, 6 2014 @ 02:11 AM
link   
For the sake of argument how about we change the name GOD to GODS. The Gods that created the Human Race. A slave race.

I find it hard being an ex Christian to believe in a singular Supreme Being that created us, this Universe and all things in it. Especially looking at the constant Wars, Fighting, Genocidal Murder orchestrated by the very people that say they represent God.

If there is a God then he, she or it is doing a very poor job at keeping us in line!

Gods created us. That is the most likely truth. Biblical BS, Jesus and God are stories made up by the slave drivers that are busy slaughtering in the name of Resources and Power. The God story is the Control Tool used to manipulate us and keep us in servitude!

Gods created us as slaves. Alien Gods. It's a more plausible explanation as to how we came to being.

A God creating one man and one woman in an impossible time frame is symbolic only. The Bible excuse for the Adam and Eve story is a load of rubbish. It would be impossible to create a couple of people then see today the differences between the races.

All Hail To The Gods.......lol

posted on Jan, 6 2014 @ 02:19 AM
link   
reply to post by stevcolx

Think so?

Watch the recent posts list.

Watch the world reap what it has sown.

posted on Jan, 6 2014 @ 03:00 AM
link   
I like the idea of your thread. So flag for you. However, when individuals (not entire religions) try to force their way of seeing things down your throat, you should have a right to disagree and defend your beliefs, correct? Especially when they try and do it as arrogantly as some of them do. God could be a very existent thing/being, but he hasn't shown me any proof for me to believe that. So why should I? What do I gain? Eternal bliss? Nirvana is the same thing without the worship of something. Religion shouldn't be about worshiping anyone, it should be about being a better person, spiritually and physically.

posted on Jan, 6 2014 @ 03:10 AM
link   
reply to post by ItzShadyT

I said all that in my short story.

posted on Jan, 6 2014 @ 04:38 AM
link   
God exists as more than just a Word or Idea. There is a characteristic of most gods and especially the Judeo-Christian God where they accept or demand worship from their followers. It would then not be unreasonable to say that God exists as a sort of "devotion sink." In much the same way as people go to religious ritual to seek the blessings of the divine, people can love the concept of God so much that they get pleasure from small things ("blessings") and courage over adverse situations (perceived "trials and tribulations.")

Most schools of Christian thought agree with the idea of a multifaceted God, including giving one of these faces the name of "the Word" (John 1:1).

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join