It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Do I have enough memory to download this...???

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 3 2014 @ 09:16 PM
link   
reply to post by ValerieDivusen

Alternatively Start-X opens the controls in windows 8.

From that you get access to most of the things you'd need from control panel. Add-Remove programs is there also.

Pretty sure from metro or desktop. I made the mistake of going to ubuntu 13.10 and can't test that now.

posted on Jan, 3 2014 @ 09:32 PM
link   
reply to post by winofiend

Going Linux is no mistake

I have for a long while and still use Windows, Linux, and OS X (Unix), so I think I am fairly objective.

Outside of gaming and proprietary software for work I would never touch Windows. The other operating systems are superior in ever way. My opinion of course.

posted on Jan, 3 2014 @ 09:40 PM
link   
reply to post by esteay812

A 250GB SSD seems to be more powerful than a 750GB HDD and that makes no sense to me.

Well what's more powerful mean to you?

The 750GB HD has more space than the 250GB SSD. Drop the letters just look at the numbers.

Now concerning speed the 250GB SSD is faster. Nothing to do with the numbers (again that has to do with space). Solid State drives (SSD) are a faster technology.

So best of both worlds would be a 750GB SSD

edit on 3-1-2014 by Lucid Lunacy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 3 2014 @ 09:44 PM
link   

Hooray for you and a new computer....life is good, very good indeed

posted on Jan, 3 2014 @ 09:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Lucid Lunacy

I think the SSD reads and writes quicker due to no moving parts...some people use the SSD for the Operating System due the reliability and speed. You tend to have less issues with a solid state drive and they are quiet...a lot more money so most use a solid state drive for the operating system and the other drive for all the other junk...

posted on Jan, 3 2014 @ 10:06 PM
link   
reply to post by ValerieDivusen

Thanks for the details!

I am familiar with this process, but I've found it to be somewhat different than Win7 in the way that there are now 'Apps' to deal with. I can choose to uninstall and app, but that doesn't seem to remove it completely from my pc. I found this our by uninstalling the pre-loaded Netflix, then searching for it in the store. I wasn't sure if it was a free app or if it cost something for it. I didn't want to uninstall something that costs $$, in the event that I need it later.

After uninstalling it, I went to the store and found Netflix, then clicked 'Install'. It said the app is already on my system and I must activate it.

Soo... at this point I am trying to understand how to completely remove the apps or if I have enough space to ignore it until later...

reply to post by Lucid Lunacy

Strange how some people may define 'powerful' when referencing technology.

In the sense I am speaking, more powerful would mean a faster experience.

Another thing I have found confusing is the price of SSD v HDD. SSD's are more expensive for less GB's, I assumed there was something about them that made them much better. I was guessing that maybe it writes the memory differently and can be more efficient with less GB's. Thanks for the info, now I know the preference stems from durability and speed - not storage capacity.

reply to post by chrismarco

Not sure if you're being nice or cynical.

I'm being nice... here, have a star for your comment in my thread.

edit on 3-1-2014 by esteay812 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 3 2014 @ 10:10 PM
link   

Pretty much yeah. I use a smaller SSD for the OS and my installed apps. An external 2TB HD for all other files.

posted on Jan, 4 2014 @ 02:31 AM
link   

Lucid Lunacy
reply to post by winofiend

Going Linux is no mistake

I have for a long while and still use Windows, Linux, and OS X (Unix), so I think I am fairly objective.

Outside of gaming and proprietary software for work I would never touch Windows. The other operating systems are superior in ever way. My opinion of course.

Oo

I've just managed to get back into a usable desktop after once again attempting to install AMD drivers to give me proprietary driver support in ubuntu 13.10. Third time, only this time I spent near an hour tapping on my tablet to find a solution, rather than pull out the old pc and blast an ISO onto a USB stick so I can at least boot up the thing.

Sure, I could have worked out how to use the internet from a terminal...

But that, along with the constant "System error, do you want to report" that I keep getting which requires me to flush the error logs manually via sudo rm /var/crash/* and things like not being able to get the default keyring to stop hassling me each and every time I load my browser.. which for some reason was related to my having set Autologon via install, but had then been turned off in my profile, despite not having to actually log in, so I re-set it to Auto log in, and then I could change the default keyring password to nothing. which then set my root password. Which made me then reset my password, but it wouldn't accept the default one I had, and I'm now suck with a complicated password for su, when I don't even care..

Along with having to try to get vmware to work with 3d acceleration (as it does simply under windows) so I can run the occasional windows application I need to, after trying for ages to get the oracle virtualbox to do the same thing.. not wanting it all on my ssd and preferring to use the vm's I'd already created on a separate partition, but can you tell virtualbox to use a different location like you can on windows? Ahha.. well.. sure.. edit xml here, change this there, sudo that over there.. read 500 web pages for mint, kubuntu, ubuntu 10, nothing relating to unity, apt-get install GIVE ME A BREAK.

And my mouse drivers, forget it.. say hello to a 3 button, 5 button mouse! I can, I suppose, load them in wine. Or the vmware box I did get going. blat the settings out to the mouse and hope for the best.

For some reason when the AMD drivers fail to load and I'm stuck wondering why the X from decades ago is taunting me, to then see "your display drivers, input drivers are not configured. You will need to configure them manually" I am left wondering if it's a joke on me or if just installing something can really break that much. Can't do that on windows. I mean, well you can, but you have to really really try.

I tried to install eclipse and the android sdk. Sadly, I'm using a 64bit ubuntu. Previously, they tell me, there were 32 bit drivers required for the install of the android sdk, to allow them to run under a 64bit linux os. but that was just temporary. All of the guides and tutorials tell me to install them. But they dont exist.

I now read that I am to know what driver I am required to use, and install it manually. No simply driver package.

I shouldn't complain, I used to use linux when it was meant to be complicated and I'd laugh at people who wanted it as easy as anything... but really.. Ubuntu today may be powerful. but out of the box, it's where windows 95 was. And where windows is today, working out of the box with drivers for everything, no breaking the desktop to install your video card drivers, etc... it's a bit of a shame.

I'm all for learning. I like it when things work. It's a good feeling to build an OS and have it shine.

But when you're sitting here, banging your head because you now have to read 2 dozen forums from people with similar, not not the same, problems, and you're thinking "Why.. WHY.." then I am at a loss.

ahh what do I know, I just blather nonsense and linux is perfect the problem lies between the keyboard and the chair..

I wish My cries were as simple as "I hate tiles. Win8 sucks."

(post by 999zxcv removed for a serious terms and conditions violation)

posted on Jan, 4 2014 @ 11:14 AM
link   
I have a computer with 1TB hard drive which I use for personal work and softwares.

For movies and other downloads, as well as BACKUP, I have an external 1 TB hard drive.

We never know if our computer is going to one day break down or not, so it is always good to keep stuff you don't want to be deleted backed up somewhere safe.

One thing to remember is the more you download (and don't delete) will eventually slow your computer down...so as an earlier poster said, delete older files/movies you no longer need/watch.

Enjoy your laptop!

edit on 4-1-2014 by Skywatcher2011 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 4 2014 @ 11:48 AM
link   
Can You Run It? is a free service that allows you to check your system's hardware, vs the minimum requirements for most games and applications on the market.

~Tenth

posted on Jan, 4 2014 @ 03:40 PM
link   

I'm genuinely happy that you picked up a new computer...

posted on Jan, 4 2014 @ 05:05 PM
link   

Thanks for your comment. Sometimes it's hard to realize sarcasm on the web, so I usually keep a neutral opinion in instances where I'm not sure what the intentions are.

___

I have another question:

Can anyone detail the differences between an x32 vs. x64 bit machines?

Will x32 software run properly on x64?

top topics

<< 1   >>

join