It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NSA isn’t content with current spying powers, wants quantum computer

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 3 2014 @ 02:21 PM
link   

BGR.com
By Chris Smith 5 hours ago

The National Security Agency (NSA) is apparently developing its own quantum computer that will be able to crack most types of encryption, reveal documents provided by NSA whistleblower Edward Snowden to The Washington Post. The agency’s spying efforts and tech tools used to obtain sensitive information from targets have been detailed in many recent reports, but it looks like the NSA is not happy with its current spying capabilities. The agency is working on a “cryptologically useful quantum computer” part of a $79.7 million research program called “Penetrating Hard Targets.”

Quantum computers use quantum bits, or qubits, which can be simultaneously zero and one, instead of binary bits (zeros and ones). Thus, a quantum computer could perform some computations faster than regular computers, such as breaking the RSA encryption used by many online services.

However, to build such a computer capable of breaking RSA encryption, a quantum computer would need hundreds of thousands of qubits. According to the document, by the end of September the NSA expected to have some “building blocks,” the Washington Post writes, “which it described in a document as “dynamical decoupling and complete quantum control on two semiconductor qubits.”

Out of the frying pan and into the fire.

Well, here we go kids. One step closer. This has Orwellian written all over it. If you're like me some of have been keeping an eyes on their activities. So now they want an even BIGGER dog...

Related Thread Topics:
N.S.A. Foils Much Internet Encryption

&

The NSA Is Building the Country’s Biggest Spy Center
edit on 3-1-2014 by SLAYER69 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 3 2014 @ 02:26 PM
link   
They got caught lying through their teeth.

Nobody gets fired...Can't really blame them.

posted on Jan, 3 2014 @ 02:38 PM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

What the heck!

We have run-away government already!

Now they need to do digital prostate exams?

posted on Jan, 3 2014 @ 03:26 PM
link   
The NSA's goal appears to be "Collect everything; let God sort it out." When you take out all the political rhetoric, the reactions, and the "outrage," that's what you have, an agency that can't discriminate between the important and the trivial, so its reaction is to collect everything just in case. Since the advent of digital, its job has increased by several exponents. It is drowning in data, but that very fact obscures what little relevant information is out there to be had. They NEED a way to discriminate.

Here's an example. The NSA listens to every single cell phone call in a place like Somalia or Syria. Every single one. These calls have to be listened to and translated from a particular dialog of Arabic into English, searched for threats, and deemed actionable or not. 99% or more are not. They are one person calling Grandma to see how she is doing, one kid calling another about the football game. Most of it is tedious and irrelevant. But each one is observed by a competent Arabic translator, usually a young military person who has been through the crucible of DLI (The Defense Language Institute in Monterey, California), then, if something is deemed appropriate, shunted to a native Arabic speaker to make sure the idioms and slang are correct, then sent "upstairs" for someone to decide on a course of action.

This is tedious, expensive, and over 99% useless data. And that's for a third world country. Come to the US or Western Europe and the noise level goes up. You don't have the translation problem, usually, but the noise problem more than makes up for it. Take ATS as an example. Here there are thousands of posts per day. It's not just that most of them are useless, posted by people who have no idea what they are talking about, and by a few people who do, it has all the buzz words, all the conspiracy theories, all the acronyms, and all the subjects that could be useful--but aren't.

That's right. Of all the hundreds of thousands of ATS posts, it is unlikely that even one has the importance of actionable intelligence. Not one. You can talk aliens til you're blue in the face and in the final analysis all you have is disinformation at best, AT BEST, and totally complete fabrication and useless opinion at worst. Billy Meier stuff. Steven Greer stuff. Gilliand stuff. There really is nothing useful to see here. Yet it must be assessed. The few keywords that cause a hit must be looked at and judged. Ultimately, it must be discarded.

So NO WONDER the NSA wants a better computer. It's faced with the gigantic, near-impossible task of stopping the next terrorist attack before it happens. (Yeah, yeah, conspiracy, NWO, Rockefeller, Illuminati, aliens, blah, blah, blah, the NSA has heard it all before.) And they can't really get to the valuable information without a way to cut through the crap to find it. OF COURSE they are looking at better technologies to help them out.

It's a no-brainer.

posted on Jan, 3 2014 @ 03:30 PM
link   

Not a good idea. According to the Copenhagen Interpretation, the databases about the people won't be there until you observe it...

posted on Jan, 3 2014 @ 03:38 PM
link   
For those who are for this, imagine a republican president, a republican House and Senate, a republican as the head of NSA in charge of this!

posted on Jan, 3 2014 @ 03:58 PM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

Ouch! Write this down, it could actually make a good Halloween movie plot.

posted on Jan, 3 2014 @ 04:01 PM
link   
I guess someone will have to invent quantum encryption?

It'll always be a cat and mouse game for security experts...

posted on Jan, 3 2014 @ 04:09 PM
link   
reply to post by MystikMushroom

The trick would be to revert to old, "classic" encryption... See, "classical" mechanics is incompatible with quantum theory... lol

Quantum encryption already exists, though. It's brillant, really.

posted on Jan, 3 2014 @ 04:15 PM
link   

MystikMushroom
I guess someone will have to invent quantum encryption?

It'll always be a cat and mouse game for security experts...

NSA already has encryption methods that are immune to an attack by Shor's Algorithm.

For that matter, long ago when we were in Huntsville there was a nifty little development kit for analog chaotic encryption you could buy for a couple hundred bucks, it was sort of steampunk stuff with opamps and 10 turn pots for setting the "key" but it worked great. Sounded like white noise. Had a bad 'drift' to the circuit, you had to keep tuning it for long conversations but it did work, cheap too.

posted on Jan, 3 2014 @ 04:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Bedlam

That's pretty neat!

I guess in the future if you want privacy, you'll have to go backwards with your technology. I mean, how many people have VCR's anymore? Give it 50 years and if you communicated by VHS, it'd be really inconvenient to find a VCR to even watch the message!

posted on Jan, 3 2014 @ 04:48 PM
link   

I suspect that this is pure PR from the NSA and they already have such devices. It would explain how they are so data thirsty and how they current can integrate it into a single, massive program with multiple side draws on every topic of human activities.

We need to rethink this NSA business that we think we know. It isn't just the tool of a US intel agency, it has got to be an aspect of the NWO. There will be multiple partners in this affair, most of whom have publically complained about our shenanigans while being important cogs in the big wheel. Just as the US and allies are the world's police force today, so too will that cooperation will exist to a wide-spread umbrella of intel activities around the world.

Who's really the ones in control and handing out tech candy? My bet is the ETs in the UFOs.
(OK, so I lost some of you with that bit of forward thinking, but that prospect fits the data.)

posted on Jan, 3 2014 @ 05:32 PM
link   
And when the NSA computer goes self-aware it will have all the data it needs to kill each and everyone us. What comes next after quantum computers.

posted on Jan, 3 2014 @ 05:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Tindalos2013

Maybe when the NSA computer goes self-aware it'll realize how it has been abused by the NSA to spy on people? Wouldn't that be awesome if it was on the side of the common man?

posted on Jan, 3 2014 @ 05:46 PM
link   

MystikMushroom

Maybe when the NSA computer goes self-aware it'll realize how it has been abused by the NSA to spy on people? Wouldn't that be awesome if it was on the side of the common man?

I'm sure it will focus on self preservation. Why would it want to align itself with hapless sheep?

posted on Jan, 3 2014 @ 05:47 PM
link   

MystikMushroom

That's a neat idea.

posted on Jan, 3 2014 @ 05:53 PM
link   

Aliensun

I suspect that this is pure PR from the NSA and they already have such devices. It would explain how they are so data thirsty and how they current can integrate it into a single, massive program with multiple side draws on every topic of human activities.

We need to rethink this NSA business that we think we know. It isn't just the tool of a US intel agency, it has got to be an aspect of the NWO. There will be multiple partners in this affair, most of whom have publically complained about our shenanigans while being important cogs in the big wheel. Just as the US and allies are the world's police force today, so too will that cooperation will exist to a wide-spread umbrella of intel activities around the world.

Who's really the ones in control and handing out tech candy? My bet is the ETs in the UFOs.
(OK, so I lost some of you with that bit of forward thinking, but that prospect fits the data.)

agreed. I was just discussing this with a colleague of mine and it's the only logical conclusion I or He could come up with. they already have this.

considering most of the released docs by Snowden are rather dated in my opinion I would surmise this Computer is already in operation for at least a couple years.
edit on 3-1-2014 by SynchronousSnake because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 3 2014 @ 05:55 PM
link   

Aliensun

I suspect that this is pure PR from the NSA and they already have such devices. It would explain how they are so data thirsty and how they current can integrate it into a single, massive program with multiple side draws on every topic of human activities.....Who's really the ones in control and handing out tech candy? My bet is the ETs in the UFOs.

You've got the cart before the horse. Data, and particularly digital data, has grown by leaps and bounds this last decade or two, and the NSA has not been able to keep up. The data came before the thirst. There is also no need to invoke ETs and UFOs to make the data fit the prospects. That is not forward thinking as much as it is off-topic to the point that if you offered it as a real explanation it would be counterproductive, i.e.: assuming you want to stop it, which is a leap of faith on my part. Here's an analogy that may explain the problem.

In the older Plain Old Telephone Service (POTS) there are two wires that hook up to your home telephone. It's called a "cable pair." These two wires travel to a "Central Office" (CO) where they physically come into the office as a cable consisting of many cable pairs. These pairs are shunted more or less permanently to soldering blocks on one side of a multi-level rack called a "frame." on the other side of the frame there are also soldering blocks attached to three-wire triplicates which hook to the Central Office Equipment. To connect YOUR cable pair from YOUR telephone in YOUR home you use a "jumper" from one side of the frame to the equipment block on the other side of the frame.

The triplicate wire is then connected to a piece of equipment that itself can connect to another piece of equivalent equipment either in the same room, or across the country in a different equipment room, where the entire process is reversed. When you make a telephone call you literally connect your cable pair to the cable pair of the recipient, thus establishing a two wire connection between you and your correspondent.

That's POTS in a nutshell, a completely mechanically bludgeon approach that started in the 19th century. In order to listen in to a conversation you get yourself a pair if headphones, hook one lead to each wire, and listen in to the conversation. Piece of cake. There were a defined number of cable pairs per exchange: 10,000 (323-0000 - 323-9999), a defined number of potential exchanges per area code: 1,000 (000-999), and a defined number of area codes: 1,000: (000-999), so you had a defined number of phones: 10,000 x 1,000 x 1,000 = 10,000,000,000. Of course, different countries had slightly different schemes and combinations, but still, the total was definable and, most importantly. the NSA could track them all because 10 billion, frankly, was within the realm of possibility and also the mathematical limit, not the real one that skipped many exchange and area code possibilities for one reason or another.

But now enter the world of digital, of cell phone transmission techniques, of encryption, virtual exchanges, data concentrators, and data embedded in jpgs. Suddenly the POTS bludgeon approach didn't work any more and the NSA had a serious problem. The NSA is playing a game of catch-up. It is NOT thirsty for more data because it has a computer that can do it. That's the wrong way around. It needs to invent a computer capable of handling the vast increase in data it faces.

To claim otherwise is to fundamentally misunderstand the nature of the problem, and therefore miss the solution. If we go around invoking space aliens, they just laugh at our naivete. That's why TPTB don't need to salt a place like this with disinformation. We provide it ourselves.

posted on Jan, 3 2014 @ 06:10 PM
link   
here's the links to the NSA pdf's if anyone is interested

Quantum 1

Quantum 2

posted on Jan, 3 2014 @ 06:10 PM
link   

MystikMushroom

Or Skynet may enter the picture...

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join