It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tepco Quietly Admits Reactor 3 Could Be Melting Down Now

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 3 2014 @ 03:53 PM
link   

Cynic
Time to evacuate the public within 100 miles of the area and then turn the place to glass.

Unfortunately, the solution isn't that easy.

If you dropped a nuke all you would succeed in doing is spreading the radiation further and faster, plus add a little more radiation to the mix.

posted on Jan, 3 2014 @ 04:07 PM
link   
reply to post by BlackJackal

Steam was seen emanating from the reactor 3 building on Dec 19, 24, 25 and 27
TEPCO confirmed the steam but offered no explanation other than to say there was no change at the site.
High levels of radiation have precluded entry into the building ever since the tsunami in 2011

I don't see how you can make the logical leap from seeing steam to the meltdown of epic proportions.

I don't see how you can not make the logical leap from seeing steam as a sign that things are heating up.

What I don't see is any action being taken to investigate what is happening, or to take action to stabilize and then fix the problems in Fukushima.

Here is the official response.

www.salem-news.com...

[Unit 3] is still producing slightly less than 1 megawatt (one million watts) of decay heat [...] it is creating radioactive steam [...] hot radioactive releases [...] have occurring [sic] for the entire 33 months [...] The difference now is that the only time we visibly notice these ongoing releases is on the cold days [...]
“According to a Fairewinds Energy Education posting on Facebook, the reactor is currently producing about 1 MW of heat, equivalent to 1,000 1KW electric fires, so enough to produce plenty of steam. This would provide the least worrying explanation for the steam, in that as the radioactivity continues decline so will the heat production and the volume of steam produced. If this explanation is correct, there is no reason expect any catastrophic outcome. However the steam is carrying considerable amounts of radiation into the atmosphere and represents an ongoing radiation hazard.”

There is a link in before this last statement to a facebook page.

This doesn't seem to be a legitimate effort to sooth people's fears.

What is not stated is whether or not the amount of heat being produced is decreasing or increasing, which seems to be a very major indicator to me.

If the amount of heat being produced at reactor 3 is decreasing, I would think that would be something they would want to announce.

Was steam observed coming out of reactor 3 last year, at the same rate?

Here is the real killer IMO.

A news search indicates that they are looking to recruit homeless people to work at the site. WOW, not exactly a solid effort.

Yes, lets recruit those who can't even put a roof over their own heads, to solve what is probably the biggest disaster in the making, in Human history, maybe the history of planet Earth.

How about an offer of $100 million each to the heirs of every volunteer with the knowledge and ability to work in this environment, which will most certainly lead to a terrible death, to solve this problem and save humanity.

Or stick with what seems to be the current plan, keep wishing that this nightmare goes away.

posted on Jan, 3 2014 @ 04:07 PM
link   
reply to post by BlackJackal

Oh, I appreciate the consequences. I was thinking more along the lines of copious fuel-air weapons. Same job, no extra radiation. Yes it would spread some reactor radiation, but a good deal would also be contained.

posted on Jan, 3 2014 @ 07:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Vasa Croe

It can't be posted enough.IMHO .. I say we need one or two threads on the front page everyday to renind us how serious we have to take this catastrophic event.. its our childrens and future childrens sea and all animal life on thw verge of existence here..

I will try to post a message within every thread made around fukashima. . Because I care for every living being that deserves this beautiful planet. .

posted on Jan, 3 2014 @ 07:16 PM
link   
reply to post by justreleased

Europe, of course. Western Europe mostly, but Eastern as well. I have seen many Japanese here in Bulgaria, in the past two years.

posted on Jan, 3 2014 @ 07:19 PM
link   
reply to post by jhn7537

Because the entire thing is one huge conspiracy? IDK. Check out the theory about that Israeli security firm, that the Japanese hired a few months prior to the accident.

posted on Jan, 3 2014 @ 07:43 PM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

Yeah...they "did" something alright.
The elites raised the radiation safe levels, built lots of fallout shelters, FEMA camps and massive heirloom seed vaults...

-Peace-

edit on 3-1-2014 by Eryiedes because: Typo

edit on 3-1-2014 by Eryiedes because: Addition

posted on Jan, 3 2014 @ 10:01 PM
link   

jhn7537

justreleased
reply to post by jaffo

Seriously the population of Japan is like....127,000,000 over a third of the U.S. population. Where are all of the people going?

Africa has plenty of room and China has already built loads of "ghost" cities, maybe they can go there...

The only places they could possibly go are Siberia (geographic proximity, and it's largely unused land) or the US (close ties and we have lots of room). China is extremely bitter over WW2, so bitter infact that if it were up to them and Japan needed evacuated they would blockade the country and make all the citizens stay there and die of radiation poisoning. They would consider it justice.

JayinAR
Well whatever the case may be it needs fixing, pronto.
89 tons of burning nuclear waste would be a disaster of epic proportions. Far worse than anything seen in human history.

I'm not sure anything would survive for very long if that were to happen. If this is even a remote possibility, it is a responsibility of the entire world's to remedy. It needs to be on every media outlet every night until someone provides a solution.
The governments of this world are eventually gonna kill us all and we are gonna sit on our thumbs and do nothing about it.

Disgraceful

No disagreement but just saying it needs fixed and actually fixing it are two wildly different things. We currently have no way to fix it, we don't even know how to mitigate it. Infact, the radiation levels and the heat are so high that we can't even get robots into the area to look and see what the situation is like. This whole thing is the worst case scenario.

posted on Jan, 3 2014 @ 10:08 PM
link   
I guess we are all going to get free radiation therapy for cancer. The doctors aren't going to like loosing all their customers.

posted on Jan, 3 2014 @ 11:04 PM
link   
I 'll be glowing in no time. Who said I wouldn't be getting super powers! [snip]
edit on 3-1-2014 by elevatedone because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 3 2014 @ 11:12 PM
link   
Nothing scares me more than this topic and the fact that they could be lying to us and we really wouldn't know how bad it is. It does appear that Tepco is doing nothing and doesn't know how to handle this situation still. Boggles my mind. Send Russia in please. What scares me even more is that there is a push to put more nuclear reactors online. The fact is that no one is prepared for these disasters and until we have plans for disaster at nuclear sites we shouldn't have nuclear power.

I hope you're not going to tell me that an island with a history of earthquakes and tsunamis wouldn't have a plan in place for a reactor next to the ocean for all of those contingencies and.. oh wait...they didn't.

posted on Jan, 4 2014 @ 12:27 AM
link   
reply to post by amazing

I think they had a sea wall that about the height of the last known major tsunami. That was it, the backup generators could have worked if the diesel engines had snorkels on them. It was absolutely a poorly planned place to put a nuclear plant and there are several more in Japan that are every bit as vulnerable.

I live somewhat close the St. Lucie plant in Florida. It did survive a direct hit from a cat 2, followed by a cat 3(barely) hurricane a few years back without a problem. A Katrina sized storm with the associated surge could be a disaster. While tsunamis are very rare in Florida, the geological record shows we do get the occasional major tsunami once every thousand years or so. Hopefully they have learned from Fukushima and are taking appropriate measures to make sure it does not happen.

It makes me uneasy to think that every year there is about a 0.1% chance, or over the next 50 years about a 5% chance of that happening in my backyard as a result of a tsunami. If you figure a Katrina like storm hits about once every 100 years, that makes it about a 1% every year or a 50% chance in the next 50 years that a storm with 20' surge will hit. That risk factor is outrageously high.

Florida has nuclear plants, St. Lucie and Miami(Turkey Point). Crystal River was recently shut down but still has spent fuel that needs to cool. All of them could be flooded in a Katrina like hurricane.
edit on 4-1-2014 by jrod because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 4 2014 @ 12:34 AM
link   
reply to post by rickymouse

That's actually really funny and I might even laugh if this wasn't such a critical situation. No sarcasm, it really was funny!

Make no mistake; this situation WILL be an Extinction Level Event! This is not going away, any little thing could set this off, hell something as little as nothing could set this whole thing in motion! We are certainly kidding ourselves if we think othherwise.

This type of thing is what makes me wish for a "One World Government", and no not the NWO or UN type that has been set in motion. The kind of dreamy eyed, delusional thinking, New Agey-We Are The World type. However that is me kidding myself. Reality is simply this, we have failed as stewards of this planet and it should be obvious that it is an epic fail as the kiddos say.

What are we going to do about it? What can be done about it? Aside from some Biblical miracle, Ireally don't think there is anything that can be done. Even if, by some Divine form of intervention, this could be stopped... how long until it happens again? As another poster said (sorry, don't remember who) we played with nuclear matches and now we're getting burned.

There has been evidence of past nuclear events and their devestation, we have played this game before and lost. What will it take for us to get the message that some things are better left alone?

Yes I realize this is a clip from Ancient Aliens, but it's the information I'm promoting not the show.

We've even had numerous threads on the topic here within our esteemed community

History’s lost lesson: Ancient nuclear war among Indus Valley civilizations reexamined

Atomic warfare in India 8000 years ago?

Well you get the idea.

posted on Jan, 4 2014 @ 12:47 AM
link   
TEPCO=Tell Everyone Pure Crap Ola...

posted on Jan, 4 2014 @ 02:11 AM
link   
reply to post by jaffo

Ok what if...We(Japan) put all the fuel rods in a rocket and shoot it at the sun?
edit on 4-1-2014 by Frexmil2 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 4 2014 @ 02:49 AM
link   

amazing
Nothing scares me more than this topic and the fact that they could be lying to us and we really wouldn't know how bad it is. It does appear that Tepco is doing nothing and doesn't know how to handle this situation still. Boggles my mind. Send Russia in please. What scares me even more is that there is a push to put more nuclear reactors online. The fact is that no one is prepared for these disasters and until we have plans for disaster at nuclear sites we shouldn't have nuclear power.

I hope you're not going to tell me that an island with a history of earthquakes and tsunamis wouldn't have a plan in place for a reactor next to the ocean for all of those contingencies and.. oh wait...they didn't.

Actually, I walk away from this scenario with the totally opposite viewpoint. Let me preface by saying Fukushima is a disaster, and we need safeguards in place to prevent this from ever happening again.

Fukushima was a worst case scenario and the damage is actually relatively low. With nuclear disasters there's a lot of devastation in a localized area but it's not really all that harmful. The deaths or adverse health effects per kwh are considerably lower with nuclear than with any other option we currently have.

Maybe this will explain
www.forbes.com...

I would love it if we would transition to mark 4 nuclear reactors which are nearly 100x more efficient (dropping that to .9 deaths per trillion kwh) or better yet to thorium nuclear reactors but there's a lot of politics involved with either one unfortunately.

Nuclear is the best energy source we currently have, and Fukushima proved it. We had virtually everything that could go wrong, go wrong and the death count was quite low.

posted on Jan, 4 2014 @ 03:31 AM
link   
reply to post by Aazadan

Maybe in Bizarro world my friend, but you are ignoring a possible current / future nuclear reactor meltdown. They also have hundreds and hundreds of storage tanks, which a few have been found to be leaking.

Then there is whatever the amount of contaminated water that is being released into the Pacific Ocean on a daily basis. We also have to take into consideration the long term effects of this catastrophe on the eco system and humanity overall.

Oh no though, nothing to worry about here, everything is fine. Yuh know, it reminds me of the mindset that has got us where we are here in the United States of America today.

Basically a bunch of excuse makers who's ideology of anything goes, and we will let them worry about it tomorrow mentality, that has proven to be destructive and outright suicidal.

To be more clear, these people are lunatics and they are destroying the planet, and all for greed. I mean hey, I am all for making money, but do they have to rape this Earth in the process?

I don't understand the logic of trying to mislead the herds. This is a dangerous situation, and this is not a joke. I live on the West coast, so I am very concerned about this.

I really hope it all ends positive. The Nations of the World need to unite and figure out a logical solution. ~$heopleNation

edit on 4-1-2014 by SheopleNation because: TypO

posted on Jan, 4 2014 @ 04:36 AM
link   

SheopleNation
reply to post by Aazadan

Maybe in Bizarro world my friend, but you are ignoring a possible current / future nuclear reactor meltdown. They also have hundreds and hundreds of storage tanks, which a few have been found to be leaking.

Then there is whatever the amount of contaminated water that is being released into the Pacific Ocean on a daily basis. We also have to take into consideration the long term effects of this catastrophe on the eco system and humanity overall.

Umm... it is taking long term effects into account. As for how much water is released into the ocean, it's not a whole lot. The Pacific Ocean (and in a more global view the Pacific and all the rest of the water connected to it) is huge. I could throw numbers around here but they don't really convey the size of the oceans. Releasing radioactive water into them isn't good but it's hardly an ELE like some people claim.

In terms of environmental damage, health related effects, and deaths per kwh generated nuclear is by far our best option. And it happens to be so when comparing generation 2 nuclear reactors (like Fukushima) to modern day coal plants. If we were actually comparing the generation 4 reactors (what any new plant today would be) which are 100x more efficient since they use all of the fuel rather than 1% of the fuel and are several orders of magnitude less likely to fail. We pump far more radioactive material into the environment, and affect far more people doing so with coal plants than we do with nuclear.

posted on Jan, 4 2014 @ 08:31 AM
link   
reply to post by Aazadan

Facts please, it was not because of what happened in WW2. This was 3 years prior to the outbreak of WW2 and was the atrocities commited during the Second Sino-Japanese War in 1937, especially at what happened during the march to and capture of Nanking.

Even though it is so long ago the Japanese still refuse to acknowledge what happened (perhaps because it was led by and these atrocities were directly ordered by one of their emporial family ) do not apologise, and the "Prime Minister" very recently visited a shrine to the guys who commited these heneous crimes.

China have every right to dislike the Japanese, and yes ....... even today.

Do some research and tell me if you would forgive the Japanese if it were you in their place.

Take care

CbG

posted on Jan, 4 2014 @ 09:16 AM
link   
reply to post by jaffo

Watt's up with BONO and Tokyo Electric Co????

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join