It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The 5000 year old tree.

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 3 2014 @ 07:30 AM
link   

bally001

pronto
reply to post by bally001

G,day mate. good one. wonder if they have a fridge or stock a supply of fire extinguishers to quick chill the beer.
You do realise that as you found the watering hole its your first shout. senior service and all that stuff
take care bloke
edit on 2-1-2014 by pronto because: bugga left a word out again

I'll bring me Engel and 12 volt. No ice needed. Tree provides the cool conditioning.

Bally

G,day mate. an engel, you must have been flush the day you bought that. I have a waeco, now with the two we could do a fairdinkum old style navy smokie for about a month. just keep toppin em up. see u on u2u

posted on Jan, 3 2014 @ 07:57 AM
link   
Whilst getting a smile from the hope of things i wish were true on my face and really understanding how one may hope his perception is true i must stop that well meant smile on my face and get you an eye opening reply.

To my deepest dismay i must here link you to an article of Wikipedia. Please understand that this is based on scientific evidence and base and is not food for debate but rather fact...

Longevity
Taxus baccata can reach 400 to 600 years of age. Some specimens live longer but the age of yews is often overestimated.[8] Ten yews in Britain are believed to predate the 10th century.[9] The potential age of yews is impossible to determine accurately and is subject to much dispute. There is rarely any wood as old as the entire tree, while the boughs themselves often hollow with age, making ring counts impossible. There are claims as high as 5,000–9,500 years,[10] but other evidence based on growth rates and archaeological work of surrounding structures suggests the oldest trees (such as the Fortingall Yew in Perthshire, Scotland) are more likely to be in the range of 2,000 years.[11][12] Even with this lower estimate, Taxus baccata is the longest-living plant in Europe. One characteristic contributing to its longevity is that it is able to split under the weight of advanced growth without succumbing to disease in the fracture, as do most other trees.

Now that many may have been enlightened i will be pleased to show you a few hundred trees atop Atlantis, (where i live and proudly come from) that are well over 2000 years old. I am not joking.
Still talking on facts. Its just hard to relay them all if you haven t been around the world and not lived in Atlantis for a few decades with wide open eyes and mind to figure out the topology and facts and the truth that emerges....

....As for the trees, that is a simple 3 day trip and your camera will be overloaded not to mention the other wonders.

Sincerely,
George

p.s. Take care all.

edit on 3/1/2014 by GEORGETHEGREEK because: I must edit to add and elaborate here that the longest living plants in Europe are not taken into account since the authors of the wiki article have not studied them and also have not taken full bibliography into account.

posted on Jan, 3 2014 @ 10:14 AM
link   
reply to post by GEORGETHEGREEK

Are you debunking my tree?!!

Seriously though, Rickymouse mentioned earlier how difficult it can be to accurately date a tree and so I have chosen to side with the guys at the Forestry Commission, from the OP link. They know their stuff!

From the link: "Estimated to be perhaps 5,000 years old, the Fortingall Yew (Taxus baccata) stands at the geographical heart of Scotland. It is believed to be the most ancient tree in the United Kingdom, and is probably even the oldest living thing in Europe."

posted on Jan, 3 2014 @ 10:43 AM
link   
reply to post by beansidhe

Respectable!

Want my reply still?

Sure, every nation wants to be culturaly rich.
Specially the Scots that seek independance of a nation that are alltogether not culturaly wealthy....

Every bit counts!

I spent almost 5 years in Scotland btw and another in England.

They are not exactly filthy poor but not quite overwhelmed by culture like Greece.

.... So trees can be of an edge if it has to come to that....
Even when not quite substantiated.
You see i tried to warn you about ethnic pride and what it may bring forth consciously or not.

That is to say i am not being loud about my cultural heritage, but rather working my way through to a point where you can have a view and get mh relayed message. After a i told you i speak by facts.

Love,
G.

posted on Jan, 3 2014 @ 12:15 PM
link   
reply to post by GEORGETHEGREEK

Of course I want your reply, it is most welcome.
Sussing out a bit of ethnic pride, why it's almost as if you know me, George! No one could accuse me of unconscious national pride, it's blatant, I'm afraid. Wear my heart on my sleeve.

Your observations are most accurate, but I'm gazing at this tree through my saltire tinted glasses and so I cannot be swayed.

But I love that you tried!

Best wishes

B x

posted on Jan, 3 2014 @ 08:42 PM
link   
reply to post by beansidhe

I told you i have lived there

Glasgow in fact.

Been away a few years now but its second home to me.
Been all o er the country for years and love the people and place.

You might be right after all. No one can tell for sure, so i guess there is that room for unswayed gut

Love,
G.

posted on Jan, 4 2014 @ 05:26 AM
link   
I have quite a bit of Scottish ancestry myself although I was born & raised here in the great southern land

What's that got to do with trees?
I guess there'd be a few caber tossers in the family tree as my sons are certainly built for it.

posted on Jan, 7 2014 @ 10:10 AM
link   
reply to post by Aleister

Just beautiful! They look like the lovers at that point in time. What we see now is the offspring. I love nature so much.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join