It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Float tanks, they are amazing!

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 1 2014 @ 02:42 AM
link   
reply to post by Realtruth

Blwyddyn newydd da to you too.

Bright shiny rainbows for 2014
Jane

posted on Jan, 1 2014 @ 09:14 AM
link   

Aphorism
Many say the same about narcotics, strokes, sleep and exhaustion. All of it is bodily deprivation, or limiting the bodily faculties in one way or another.

How is this a glimpse of the source, when the source through which we experience the world is deprived of its faculties?

You need rest and sleep in order to let your brain repair itself. If you've ever tried sleeping in a hotel in a nightclub party resort, you'll realize how bad flashing lights and loud thumping music are, especially when you've just come off a long distance flight. Then you will realize how peaceful and relaxing being in a quiet top-floor hotel room with double glazing, blackout curtains, well away from other guests banging their luggage past your door.

posted on Jan, 1 2014 @ 09:49 AM
link   

TDawgRex
reply to post by jaws1975

I've been thinking about trying this. Mainly for physical therapy reasons though. But I see all sorts of contradictory statements out there regarding this. Can you help me out here? Is it good for back pain as well? Or is it just a mental thing?

They're pretty pricey here where I live.

I don't have any chronic pain or injuries, but I have experienced what effect the tank has on my tense muscles. I will be floating in the water, and because there is no pressure on the muscles through way of gravity my tension will start to unwind. It feels like a slight spasm and then the muscle just lets go. I would be very curios to see if you would have positive results from floating. The research tells me that it will help you, but the proof is in the pudding.

posted on Jan, 1 2014 @ 09:51 AM
link   
Another great video, in it is a holistic physician describing his experience with float tanks.

posted on Jan, 1 2014 @ 10:47 AM
link   
John C. Lilly, the scientist who popularized the intelligence of dolphins, also "popularized" isolation , or float, or sensory deprivation tanks. Neutral buoyancy, body temp, no sound... just a brain in a vat and strange, vivid hallucinations follow. Lilly added chemicals later (shrooms to the three letter ones to ketamine) and some say he lost his mind... others attest that he found it.

His books are wild and a fine read. Having a straight edge award winning scientist talking of light beings and an extra dimensional control group marginalized him, to say the least, and his proclivity to shoot up "vit K" everywhere wasn't the best behavior to create an aura of respectability, but it makes for a fine tale... at the least.

The old flick "Altered States" was loosely based on Lilly and there wouldn't be a Flipper or pop dolphin awareness without him. On a side note, the vivisections on dolphin brains he did bothered him to his grave. He did it before he was aware of the depth of their intelligence and later regretted the "scientific" mindset that would harm any being regardless of intelligence.

Interesting man.

Edit: and just in case my basic summary of the man seems too dismissive, I highly recommend reading his books and letting him tell his story. His research and mindset change are too comprehensive to fit into a post and whether his conclusions about life after death, our 'reality,' alien intelligences and the human condition are spot on or in error, the guy's intelligence, curiosity and commitment to truth as he saw it are evident. His books "Center of the Cyclone," "Mind of the Dolphin" and the rest, are truly fascinating reading.

edit on 1/1/2014 by Baddogma because: more

edit on 1/1/2014 by Baddogma because: edit the edit

edit on 1/1/2014 by Baddogma because: started, now might as well follow up with better facts

posted on Jan, 1 2014 @ 11:30 AM
link   
reply to post by Baddogma

Thanks for sharing! I now have some new reading to do.

On the Float Tank topic as a whole.

I almost did not read this thread and am very thankful that I have. Meditation does not come easy for me, I have already located a nearby facility so that I can book a session in one of these things. Having experienced a_a already, I have ached to find that same spot through meditation alone. I can't wait.

posted on Jan, 1 2014 @ 11:34 AM
link   
There is a place you can purchase sessions in a float tank somewhat near me. I am very interested in going, though it's not cheap. I don't want to really go until I become established in a good, regular meditation practice first. Want to go as deep as possible, not stay on the surface with mundane mental chatter.

posted on Jan, 1 2014 @ 11:36 AM
link   

S&F, thank you for sharing!

posted on Jan, 1 2014 @ 01:53 PM
link   
Forget "Altered States". Another garbage Hollywood sensationalist trick to empty your pockets with bad science and a poor script. Read John C. Lilly instead.

AmericanJoe
Check out the movie "Altered States"
Stars William Hurt.

posted on Jan, 1 2014 @ 10:53 PM
link   

I have read much about this and know much about the minds works. One of the things this tank would be good for and that which you say you see with the light would be visualization but most importantly astral projection.

These tanks would work wonders in such a field, also with the conquering of matter with the mind this would be helpful for, definitely a transcendent state that surpasses this matter.

posted on Jan, 1 2014 @ 10:57 PM
link   
a good back massage makes you bliss out too

posted on Jan, 2 2014 @ 03:00 AM
link   

Many say the same about narcotics, strokes, sleep and exhaustion. All of it is bodily deprivation, or limiting the bodily faculties in one way or another.

How is this a glimpse of the source, when the source through which we experience the world is deprived of its faculties?
l

I think that you need to reevaluate your statement. Narcotics do not deprive you of your bodily faculties - they alter chemical processes within the body so that your senses percieve the world in a different way. Your brain then directs your response and emotions due to the sensory input it has had to process. Strokes can leave you unable to use your faculties but in most cases leaves your brain as sharp as a tack with the added anxiety of having a body that you cannot use the inability to use your voice. Exaustion is usually from overworking your body, not getting enough sleep or just never giving yourself time to just "be". All these things are the result of overloading your system - physically or mentally.
The source is bigger and more important than can be comprehended - the source being the great unknown which is accessable within our conciousness. As conciousness is a non tangible concept our faculties are not needed to use our conciousness.

Yes. Less to see. Less to hear. Less to smell. Less to feel. Less to perceive.

Exactly to point - this enables your brain to fully engage with your mind.
Try this experiment.
Close your eyes and visualise what your house looks like. Visualise how you would get from the street to your front door and then the route you would take to walk to your bedroom.
I bet that was no problem for you to visualise doing, even though the faculty you would use to see the things you visualised - your eyes were not in use. Nor did you actually need to be at your house to know how you would move around the location to get to your goal. I bet you even visualised opening the front door to get inside. You did not need to use your faculties to do any of these things - you used your minds eye.
Float tanks enable you to disconnect from the physical world to fully use your brain for contemplation and problem solving as it is not engaged in the buisness of interpreting the senses and directing your actions and coordinating your body movements so that you can do what is needed to be done without hurting yourself. Meditation and way of activating the Third eye that is within us all - a gateway to a higher conciousness, or "the source" as the author of this thread calls it.
There is so much we do not know that science either chooses not to or simply cannot explain - I think we have so much potential that is being wasted by not being able to access our third eye. There so much of our brain we don't use - this may be a way of accessing that unused potential to be capable of unimaginable things and amazing wisdom.
edit on 2 1.1414 by taketheredpill because: Cause I can change my mind a bit too much sometimes!

edit on 2 1.1414 by taketheredpill because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 2 2014 @ 07:54 AM
link   
reply to post by spartacus699

......And I should know!

Rainbows
Jane

posted on Jan, 2 2014 @ 11:57 AM
link   

taketheredpill

There is so much we do not know that science either chooses not to or simply cannot explain - I think we have so much potential that is being wasted by not being able to access our third eye. There so much of our brain we don't use - this may be a way of accessing that unused potential to be capable of unimaginable things and amazing wisdom.

The brain is only a tool, but what actually runs the brain is what we discover in higher state of consciousness, this is what many of us talk about when we say "The sleeping masses", or "Sheeple". Only a rare few have the capabilities to transcend the physical and understand what it is all about.

I do not claim to be anymore aware than anyone in the world, but what I can claim is the fact that I am aware, of being unaware and that sucks. lol.

We have so many other senses than our 5 physical ones; and yet as a race we choose to ignore anything else that cannot be quantified by our physical sense. It's an oxymoron to the highest degree.

I personally think most of us are scared of the unknown, so venturing out of our current comfort reality is a No No, and we as a society re-enforce it through religion, politics, and our current daily lives.

I also believe that if we were in tune with our higher-selves and had full access to our higher-selves, then we wouldn't have all the negative issues constantly plaguing our world.

So If anyone finds my Birth User Manual, please PM me.

Peace,

RT
edit on 2-1-2014 by Realtruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 2 2014 @ 12:09 PM
link   
reply to post by angelchemuel

Best idea is to have a nice massage and THEN get in the tank, already loosened right up, especially so that your neck is relaxed.

The neck is the single most problem with the float tank, because the head wants to put pressure on the neck.

Also Ayahuasca lol, would love to try it in the tank.

posted on Jan, 2 2014 @ 03:53 PM
link   
reply to post by ParasuvO

You would definitely want to follow the diet maybe eat nothing before hand, and perhaps enter the tank after puking your face off.

posted on Jan, 2 2014 @ 10:26 PM
link   
I had a session in a float tank a few months ago, and it was amazing! I literally felt like I had just gotten the best massage on the planet and the best meditation session put together. I felt like I was walking on clouds for like 2 days. So awesome. So relaxing.

Took me 20 mins or so to get used to the sensation at first. The hardest part for me was the humidity. It was SO humid, I felt like I couldn't breathe at first. Once I had sufficiently convinced myself that I wasn't going to suffocate, I had an awesome awesome experience. I'd love to do it again, and to do it regularly, I'm just not in the position right now financially.

Try it!

(Humidity might not affect others as much as me - I'm from Western Arizona, so I'm sensitive to humidity anyway!)
edit on 1/2/2014 by samara11278 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join