It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Troll Hunter (Movie)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 30 2013 @ 05:54 AM
link   
Anyone seen the movie The Troll Hunter? It is a Norwegian movie, I just watched it on TV here. Lots of fun. A few things that any conspiracy or cryptozoology aficionado would recognize. Like the "real" reason for high tension power lines and a scientific explanation why they either explode or turn to stone when exposed to sunlight.

Trailer:

You can watch it for a few bucks here
www.youtube.com...

Or for free if you understand Spanish

edit on 30/12/13 by Cinrad because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 30 2013 @ 05:59 AM
link   
reply to post by Cinrad

I saw it last year, a pretty good film. It's good to watch it with fast-forward in hand, to get past the boring parts and the "scare ya" sections in the woods and in the dark.

posted on Dec, 30 2013 @ 06:24 AM
link   
reply to post by Cinrad

Troll Hunter is a great movie, I highly recommend it! Not for research purposes of course, but as a piece of entertainment. It takes a modern look at an olde worlde mythology, and has some hilarious moments, while being capable of making you look at certain aspects of society differently.

It also has the benefit of being directed really well, shot partly in the docudrama style, but not in such a way as to make one sick of the novelty by the end of the movie, which is how most such movies wind up in my experience.

Its a great giggle, and made me think, so as a film it receives the TrueBrit stamp of awesomeness!

posted on Dec, 30 2013 @ 06:55 AM
link   

posted on Dec, 30 2013 @ 09:00 AM
link   
I liked this film. You can also find it on Netflix and it has also been showing on Showtime or Stars or on of those movie channels, I can not keep track of them all. People should check it out, it is done very well and you almost want to but into it.

posted on Dec, 30 2013 @ 09:04 AM
link   
It was a bit of let down... I was really looking forward to it and then watched it and was quite disappointed.
It's mostly an in-joke for Norwegians and is a black comedy, I think I was expecting semi-serious horror/thriller/creature-feature kind of thing.

It was fine, a decent effort and had some good scenes.

But never more than a 6/10 for rating.

Also shouldn't this be on BTS movie board?

edit on 30/12/13 by blupblup because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 30 2013 @ 10:03 AM
link   
I thoroughly enjoyed it. Loved the atmosphere, the action and of course, the trolls. Being German American I love the nod to Old World ideals and tales.

posted on Dec, 30 2013 @ 01:45 PM
link   
I thought the movie was absolutely hilarious on many levels and quite thoroughly enjoyed it.

If someone wants to be sociocentric, and refuse to put themselves into a place of cultural, historical, and social understanding, I can see how some might think this film 'boring'.

The film does take some of its cues from one of the more annoying trends in cinematography, and that's the 'found footage' paradigm with shaky camera, cameraman death, dropped camera with cracked lens, etc. In that respect, the movie, in my opinion was a bit tired, but, they didn't do too bad a job of it and it wasn't as annoying as some films that have tried this format.

I can also see how some Christians might take offense to this movie as there's some rather direct pokes in making fun of Christians.

All in all, however, this is a great film, and I highly recommend it.

posted on Dec, 30 2013 @ 01:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Cinrad

Tried to find the fence configured like power lines. It was an interesting movie.

posted on Dec, 30 2013 @ 02:21 PM
link   

AliceBleachWhite

I thought the movie was absolutely hilarious on many levels and quite thoroughly enjoyed it.

If someone wants to be sociocentric, and refuse to put themselves into a place of cultural, historical, and social understanding, I can see how some might think this film 'boring'.

The film does take some of its cues from one of the more annoying trends in cinematography, and that's the 'found footage' paradigm with shaky camera, cameraman death, dropped camera with cracked lens, etc. In that respect, the movie, in my opinion was a bit tired, but, they didn't do too bad a job of it and it wasn't as annoying as some films that have tried this format.

I can also see how some Christians might take offense to this movie as there's some rather direct pokes in making fun of Christians.

All in all, however, this is a great film, and I highly recommend it.

We're probably friends in some alternate reality. I'm sure of it ;-)

posted on Dec, 30 2013 @ 02:44 PM
link   
reply to post by RadarOReilly

I'm rather enjoying some of the recent work coming out of the "North".

Though it's been Americanized now, I still enjoy the original first film version of Let The Right One In.
I think I may, in fact, download and rewatch that one now.

The entire original Girl With the Dragon Tattoo 3-film/book series with Noomi Rapace as the Lisbeth character is also natively available and well worth a look. I found the original version portrayal of the character to be more raw, passionate, brooding, edgey and altogether more 'Lisbeth' than the US financed revision with Rooney Mara.

I don't know, if some folks are just allergic to cultures and customs they're unfamiliar with, or if people are just turned off at having to 'read' a movie if they don't understand the language.

I think now, that I'm thinking about it, I'm going to have to go dig around on the internet for anything new and noteworthy that may have come out of the 'North' recently that I've missed.

posted on Dec, 30 2013 @ 03:29 PM
link   
reply to post by AliceBleachWhite

Yes, we're twins. Sure of it now. Love all those films.

Watch the Werner Herzog doc called Happy People. Truly great. But then, it's Herzog.

posted on Dec, 30 2013 @ 04:54 PM
link   
reply to post by AliceBleachWhite

At the risk of this becoming a movie thread I have to agree, it is worth looking around for movies from other cultures that haven't been Hollywoodized. Film can be such a great artistic medium. I have often thought that if I had my time over again I would go to college to do film making. Anyway, I put this thread in cryptozoology because of the way they weaved some normal everyday things, like the high tension power lines, the musk ox that were put there to feed the trolls, the TSS and Finn, they guy in charge of the cover up. These are the sort of things we read about here, not that I am saying that this is realistic or not realistic, just that it is good to look at yourself sometimes.

posted on Dec, 31 2013 @ 11:15 AM
link   
I thoroughly enjoyed this film!!!
This movie manages to slip by my "I Hate CGI" Filter.
Nicely done...

posted on Jan, 2 2014 @ 07:20 PM
link   
I had to stop watching when that ridiculous three-headed giant troll came out the woods! The film is a comedy parody of all the similar types of low-fi creature vids... and I have to say a very poor 'tribute' effort, because it's neither scary nor funny.

posted on Jan, 2 2014 @ 07:22 PM
link   
I liked the fake dead bear. I got a laugh out of that. I fell asleep halfway through the movie, so any review I give isn't really valid...I don't even think I got to see a troll.

posted on Jan, 15 2014 @ 02:53 AM
link   
reply to post by Cinrad

Yes! Watched it on Netflix, and was highly entertained! I can't recall the last time I saw a movie that was so much fun, while having some tense moments, too.

join