It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New Deadly Explosion Hits Russian City

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 30 2013 @ 01:53 AM
link   

At least 10 people have been killed and more than 20 others hurt in a suspected suicide bombing on a trolleybus in the Russian city of Volgograd.

The blast comes a day after 17 people died in another suicide attack at the central station in the city.

Security has been tightened at railway stations and airports across Russia.

Moscow is concerned militant groups could be ramping up violence in the run-up to the 2014 winter Olympic Games in the city of Sochi

New Deadly Explosion Hits Russian City

A second bombing in the same city less than 24hrs after the train station was hit, this time killing at least 10 including a 1 year old child.

Is this the prelude to a sustained campaign in the run up to the Winter Olympics? Should we expect further outrages?

posted on Dec, 30 2013 @ 02:49 AM
link   
I'd imagine these attacks are coming from a terrorist nation looking for support of a strike on Iran.
Hmmm, now who would that be?
Certainly not the first time they did this.

posted on Dec, 30 2013 @ 03:08 AM
link   

g146541
I'd imagine these attacks are coming from a terrorist nation looking for support of a strike on Iran.
Hmmm, now who would that be?
Certainly not the first time they did this.

My first thought as well, especially considering that they probably pissed Israel off with the whole Syria thing. However, as far as I know, Russia has been dealing with Islamic insurgents for quite a while, so this isn't all too surprising.
I have faith though that things will sort themselves out as far as Russia in concerned. Putin is not stupid.

posted on Dec, 30 2013 @ 03:24 AM
link   
reply to post by g146541

That makes no sense at all. Not withstanding that Chechen Islamists have a track record, that they have recently called for an increase in attacks ahead of the Olympics and this is just a few hundred miles from Chechnya and Dagestan, doing such a thing as a nation state would be an act of War if caught - certainly not worth the risk.

Sometimes, things aren't some elaborate, overly-complex conspiracy, you know.

EDIT: What makes your idea even dafter is that these Islamists are Sunni - Iran is Shia. If you're looking for a nation state sponsor, look at Saudi, not Israel.
edit on 30/12/13 by stumason because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 30 2013 @ 03:46 AM
link   
I really don't know enough about the situation to provide any analysis, but I was pointed to an article in the Telegraph about comments allegedly made by the Saudi Prince Bandar about their involvement with Chechen rebels.

As-Safir said Prince Bandar pledged to safeguard Russia’s naval base in Syria if the Assad regime is toppled, but he also hinted at Chechen terrorist attacks on Russia’s Winter Olympics in Sochi if there is no accord. “I can give you a guarantee to protect the Winter Olympics next year. The Chechen groups that threaten the security of the games are controlled by us,” he allegedly said.

www.telegraph.co.uk...
Certainly wouldn't be the first time the Saudis have been involved with terrorist attacks.

edit on 30-12-2013 by woodwardjnr because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 30 2013 @ 04:19 AM
link   
reply to post by woodwardjnr

Exunctly - Saudi has it's fingers in a great many pies and it is playing it's own version of the The Great Game against Shia Iran. Saudi has in the past been found to fun extremist Mosques and Schools in the UK, for example as well as funding ISIS and Al Nusra in Syria.

On the smaller scale, this is local terrorism by Chechen/Dagestani separatists - on the larger scale, this is geo-politics and religion.

posted on Dec, 30 2013 @ 04:54 AM
link   
reply to post by stumason

We have global surveillance and monitoring systems up and running 24/7 , spying on every electronic transaction in the entire world and every move we take. Why is it that these terrorist attacks was not picked up by these systems? If the terrorists have stopped leaving electronic traces knowing they get caught if they do, then what’s the use of these systems?

posted on Dec, 30 2013 @ 05:00 AM
link   
reply to post by helius

You seem to be under the impression the surveillance is total and coverage is absolute.

It is not.

Couple on to that using age-old tactics and tech, if you know what you're doing and pick the right moment, you can get through.

posted on Dec, 30 2013 @ 06:02 AM
link   

stumason
Is this the prelude to a sustained campaign in the run up to the Winter Olympics? Should we expect further outrages?

It wouldn't surprise me at all. If they can do this much damage now, I'm sure they'd just love to hit the 'big time' ... lots of attention with an Olympic hit.

posted on Jan, 1 2014 @ 04:39 AM
link   
Southern Russia has been bombarded with terrorism for a long time. This is nothing new.

top topics

join