It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

EMT suspended

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 29 2013 @ 03:14 AM
link   
If I was in charge, I might have suspended him...
...for wasting 15 minutes instead of doing the right thing from the start.

posted on Dec, 29 2013 @ 04:53 AM
link   
I'm sure his conscience is much better off than it would be had he "followed the rules". What did they expect him to do? Live in guilt his whole life?

Eta-

Trollz! Star for you good lad!
edit on 12/29/2013 by 3n19m470 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 29 2013 @ 09:05 AM
link   
reply to post by Khaleesi

Thank you so much for that. I don't do it for praise...and sure not the money. I do it because I love it and people, and because someone has to.

I appreciate your thoughts...Happy New Year

posted on Dec, 29 2013 @ 12:25 PM
link   
I thought there were special rules for breaking certain laws in certain ways.

For example breaking the speed limit on an empty freeway/motorway getting a seriously injured person to the hospital.

This is clearly one, he knew what to do, how to do it and it was late already and desperately needed - good man. Id do that every time, id rather have a live person(s) thankful for my actions and be punished than not do anything and get a pat on the head from my boss and no punishment (and they die as a result).

Moral obligation and peace of mind vs. the (clearly inflexible) rules.

edit on 29-12-2013 by Biigs because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 29 2013 @ 01:27 PM
link   

12m8keall2c
reply to post by 12m8keall2c

to add:

having read the full story.... he was 'offered a 60-day suspension' But CHOSE to resign instead..... of his own volition.

Still think he's standing by his actions, and can't really see any reason to dispute, question or be critical of the same.

he did what He thought best .... given the circumstances.

need more like 'im.

Unfortunately, it was a bit more than a 60 day suspension.

the board said it would suspend him for 60 days, revoke his title on the communications committee and his title as advisor from the Youth Squad that he restarted as a 15-year-old squad member.

I could see being stripped of advising a Youth Squad that he had started and been involved with for 5 years being enough for most people to resign.

Glad he made the right decision on driving the kid, wish the board would get their head out of, well...

posted on Dec, 29 2013 @ 04:33 PM
link   

Good for him! Slowly the rule nazis are driving out all the good people. At some point there will be critical mass.

My qualified
opinion as a white South African of the USA was that the most glaring problem with the culture is that there is a massive confusion between the concepts of moral and lawful. The fallacy that if it's legal it's moral is rampant!

If there is one thing that living through the last decades of apartheid and the birth and todlerhood of the rainbow taught, is that the link between the two is tenuous at best. The law is just a contract that Presumes you to be party to it, which is not really legal according to the basis of law. Taking that as your moral guideline is a bad start.

We need more people with guts like him. Respect.

posted on Dec, 29 2013 @ 05:08 PM
link   

Follow the rules, or else.

Sadly, this is what our country and society are becoming.

Regardless of your conscience, or the morality, ethics, discretion, good will, or humanity behind your conscious decision to "break the rules," you must follow the rules, you must get "permission," or you will pay the price. Period.

You must get permission to save a life. You must get permission to help people, to feed the hungry.

They must grant you permission.

*tear drop*

edit on 29-12-2013 by Liquesence because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 29 2013 @ 05:12 PM
link   
It does my heart good to see that not all mainstream medical personnel have been brainwashed to follow "our protocol" when a life is at stake. A big ole thumbs up for a triumph of common sense over protocol!

posted on Dec, 29 2013 @ 05:17 PM
link   

I would let everyone in town know how they voted before the next election.

posted on Dec, 29 2013 @ 05:23 PM
link   
Why is all the stupid people in charge?

I thought being "edumacated" was supposed to make you smarter? I guess it dries up your common sense(personal scientific study on-going). This is the same logic behind suspending a 5 year old kid for making a gun with his finger and hollering "pew pew pew". The guy done right in my mind. He's a do'er, not a by-stander, willing to let a 4 year old kid die.

posted on Dec, 29 2013 @ 05:58 PM
link   

Khaleesi
What should this young man have done?

To answer this specifically, he should have done nothing different.

NO ONE in his future is going to read that on his record and hold it against him. Just hope he doesnt lose any pay.

posted on Dec, 29 2013 @ 09:44 PM
link   
Before I read the article I agreed and would have done the same thing as he had. Heck when I was a probie on my old dept I went on a call with one of our crew's to see how they operate, and I ended up having to drive the ambulance over 50 miles to the hospital... Also after reading the article and some of the comments this county this took place in, community needs to do some serious looking into they policies in place, and how these effect their responses to the community. The funding should be cut if they are harming the citizens they are there to help, by not allowing a response do to a policy. As medics we do live by "do no harm".

Grim

posted on Dec, 30 2013 @ 11:35 AM
link   

When I went through EMT training we were basically told the same thing, do anything outside of your scope of practice or standard operating procedures, even if it saves a life, and you can be fired and have your certifications taken away.

posted on Dec, 30 2013 @ 11:43 AM
link   

AnonymousMoose

When I went through EMT training we were basically told the same thing, do anything outside of your scope of practice or standard operating procedures, even if it saves a life, and you can be fired and have your certifications taken away.

Exactly. And you know why? 'cause the lawyers say so. Save the world, eat a lawyer. Or at least feed one to your dog.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join