It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Greenwald: US, British media are servants of security apparatus

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 28 2013 @ 05:23 AM
link   
There's a great deal of controversy these days concerning the NSA, Snowden and his somewhat odd behavior in the Soviet Union but I thought this article on Greenwald and his recent remarks about the western media was interesting.

Revelations contained in leaked documents supplied by Snowden to Greenwald and other journalists have sparked international outrage and efforts to reform the far-reaching surveillance operations waged by the NSA and intelligence officials in allied nations. But speaking remotely from Brazil this week, Greenwald argued that the media establishment at large is guilty of failing significantly with respect to accomplishing its most crucial role: keeping governments in check.

He goes on to damn the press:

“We resolved that we were going to have to be very disruptive of the status quo — not only the surveillance and political status quo, but also the journalistic status quo,” Greenwald said. “And I think one of the ways that you can see what it is that we were targeting is in the behavior of the media over the past six months since these revelations have emerged almost entirely without them and despite them.” “[W]e knew in particular that one of our most formidable adversaries was not simply going to be the intelligence agencies on which we were reporting and who we were trying to expose, but also their most loyal, devoted servants, which calls itself the United States and British media.” “It really is the case that the United States and British governments are not only willing but able to engage in any conduct no matter how grotesque,” Greenwald said. Nevertheless, he added, journalists tasked with reporting on those issues have all too often been compliant with the blatant lies made by officials from those governments.

“[A]t one point I made what I thought was the very unremarkable and uncontroversial observation that the reason why we have a free press is because national security officials routinely lie to the population in order to shield their power and get their agenda advanced,” recalled Greenwald, who said it is both the “the goal and duty of a journalist is to be adversarial to those people in power.”

Story:
rt.com...

So this all seems so obvious to me and makes me think why...why is he saying this now. Perhaps people really are in the dark about the media? Or is there some other side to this?

posted on Dec, 28 2013 @ 05:37 AM
link   
About time somebody said it.
The US and British intelligence services have been joined at the hip since WW2 at least.
MSM does nothing but parrot whatever the government hands them to read.
The real question is who do the intelligence services work for?
Big oil?
Mega banks?
Our governments?
I lean towards the first 2 answers.

posted on Dec, 28 2013 @ 05:46 AM
link   

Whoever would overthrow the liberty of a nation must begin by subduing the freeness of speech. — Benjamin Franklin

Our liberty depends on the freedom of the press, and that cannot be limited without being lost. — Thomas Jefferson, Letter to Dr. James Currie (28 January 1786)

posted on Dec, 28 2013 @ 05:58 AM
link   
reply to post by Asktheanimals

Here is the old British Intelligence MI5 badge;

They work for those Pyramid guys. So do NSA, CIA, Mossad and many others.

The Pyramid guys??? Who are they? Everyone from the Pope to U.S President to British Royal Family to Rothschilds to German and French Prime Minister ad infinitum is part of it, the same structure.

Freemasonry is certainly a huge part of it. Why would the same imagery be on the MI5 badge, the dollar bill and in Freemasonry?

I think most people these days know that MSM are just the news and propaganda outlets for the Pyramid People, lol.

At least there are some great independent opportunities for people journalism now with the internet. I like people journalism best when the journalist is not compromised and can share information openly and honestly.

edit on 28-12-2013 by Revolution9 because: typo.

posted on Dec, 28 2013 @ 06:11 AM
link   
Everything in the Establishment is geared to protect Gov ernment and those who Government protects.
The Media, which many from the last few generations follow as though its almost the word of God, has since the 1960's been the main exponement of so-called 'public opinion'. It is the 'opinion' the government thinks is most acceptable.

If you watch Journalists who have come through the university c hannel into their jobs they are brain washed into certain ideals and its blatant in their interviewing techniques and the way they attempt to shut-up interviewees on live tv if their opinion does not toe the official line. In the UK especially we have the 'Honours List where 99% of those awards go to people who are government puppets. Its one of the easiest ways to b ribe journalists, actors and other useful individuals because of the prestige of having a 'gong or whatever.

Our media once was terrific and exposed without hesitation corruption, except within the royals, which seemed to get pulled because of their ability to protect some of their more unacceptable behaviours. However since it has been predominantly owned by certain factions with the ability to shut down papers and control any journalist by threatening their job security and references, the press especially is nothing but a propaganda machine for private wealthy interests and a certain country.

The media is nothing but a tool and aids public surveillance by polls, letters from its readers and does its best to report what Governments want the public to know and delete the real facts as and when they are unpalatable. With Britain and the USA in one respect being isolatedc 'islands from mainland Europe etc' it was not until the net arrived that many of us were able to link into other sources that gave more of a representative news service - although each station has its own perspective it promotes.

I am surprised anyone who thought about our news ever thought differently differently.

posted on Dec, 28 2013 @ 06:21 AM
link   
reply to post by Revolution9

Freemasonry is certainly a huge part of it. Why would the same imagery be on the MI5 badge, the dollar bill and in Freemasonry?

Yeah, there is no doubt it is connected and has not occurred accidentally. The symbolism is blatantly obvious and so too are the underlying currents of collusion but to what end?

posted on Dec, 28 2013 @ 06:29 AM
link   
reply to post by Shiloh7

Everything in the Establishment is geared to protect Gov ernment and those who Government protects.

The Media, which many from the last few generations follow as though its almost the word of God, has since the 1960's been the main exponement of so-called 'public opinion'. It is the 'opinion' the government thinks is most acceptable.

That was the way people perceived the media to be but I find it, too, so surprising that the general public seem to still not realize what is going on and how manipulated MSM is.

posted on Dec, 28 2013 @ 06:51 AM
link   

While I am on a roll Dear ATA I will give you a perspective of how it worked.

Hitler turned against the plans of Britain and the U.S. He HATED The Rothschilds and the Jewish Financiers in the U.S. After the argument our guys were going to bring Germany in kicking and screaming by imposing sanctions and ruining the Deutsch economy. That is why Hitler did away with all those Jews. It was to morally terrify Rothschilds et al and destroy the people he was so suspicious of always getting in on the economic power in nations. Legends of the Jews and expertise in economics go back to the time of Pharaoh with the story of Joseph. Jews have been expert merchants for thousands of years. They could set things up Internationally because they had communities of Jews in every developed nation to do business with as they had wandered far and wide. Even here in Cornwall, UK there are legends of the Jews trading in tin before Christ. They even call the old engine houses for the mines here "Jews Houses". The Rothschilds are still heavily involved in metal mining to this very day.

Whether we like it or not so much of U.S and U.K history and culture is both Jewish, Christian and Freemason. In Freemasonry there is a very Judaic influence, what with Solomon's Temple et al. The Freemasons' Temple Lodge is almost like a mini Judaic Temple.

Judaism, Christianity and Freemasonry are the building blocks of our civilization in the west. I know many people here on ATS see great conspiracies in all this, but really it is just as it appears. As an example Washington DC is a total Freemason city. They built the place. That's how it is.

We will all have our different attitudes to this power structure thing! That's cool.

edit on 28-12-2013 by Revolution9 because: typo.

posted on Dec, 28 2013 @ 07:03 AM
link   

pandersway

Yeah, there is no doubt it is connected and has not occurred accidentally. The symbolism is blatantly obvious and so too are the underlying currents of collusion but to what end?

So they can have Hollywood, Israel, the European Union. They protect a kind of liberalism and a civilization with certain standards of morality and behaviour.

I imagine this group of people want a one world civilization. I imagine that Rothschild and Rockefeller want to be the big wigs in finance still.

I'm sort of a double agent, lol. I work with their system to a point because I believe in its civility and order, but I resist certain aspects if it encroaches on my morality and rights.

Luckily, these guys are pretty liberal and I get away with it. It would not be so in many countries. Lucky, too, that they care enough to ensure that people in my country have welfare when things go bad. So these Jews and Masons are not all bad are they???

posted on Dec, 28 2013 @ 07:20 AM
link   

I imagine this group of people want a one world civilization. I imagine that Rothschild and Rockefeller want to be the big wigs in finance still. I'm sort of a double agent, lol. I work with their system to a point because I believe in its civility and order, but I resist certain aspects if it encroaches on my morality and rights.

I agree with you to a point but I am not as trusting as you are. Perhaps I'm a little paranoid, but I am of the belief that these banking families have conspired for generations in the direction you are mentioning but I don't think they possess civility by any means. The banking establishment has enslaved and manipulated societies to such a point that certain economies are now beginning to shudder and destabilize, as per plan, such as Greece and Cyprus which we have recently seen.

posted on Dec, 28 2013 @ 07:23 AM
link   

Revolution9

Here is the old British Intelligence MI5 badge;

The Pyramid guys??? Who are they? Everyone from the Pope to U.S President to British Royal Family to Rothschilds to German and French Prime Minister ad infinitum is part of it, the same structure.

I think its all a shell game and you/we are playing into it. They are using classic misinformation to divide the masses. Your/our little pyramid places them on a pedestal and the misinformation/distraction that freemasonry is the cog. How many people regular or otherwise are Freemasons?

Think about it; there are simply haves and have nots. The 1% and us, nothing further. There goal is to keep it that way, always has always will. Using occultism and super secret special societies as a smokescreen to hide the simple truth.

Those with a bloodline protected through the ages, whether through incest or not, all the while consolidating power and resources pitting man against man and placating them with useless mind numbing drivel that further percolates their stated goal of total control and domination.

It seems that the war for our soul had already begun and most the population is sitting their waiting for some trumpet call like mindless sheep instead of getting up and taking what is our god given right. As an American, never in a million years did I think as a child that one day I would have to fight for my freedom.

At 34 years old I own enough responsibility for the way things have been but truly this war has been waged since the first written word. Are we doomed to be forever slaves or is there hope that one day humanity can break free from the shackles and enjoy an era on Earth that is truly Golden? I think that answer is dependent on us.....

Another words, we don't need to identify every power group and secret society, or individual person for that matter. No, that would come in time as a natural progression of growth.....rotten apples out. All we need to do is call bull #. Simply stop playing the game. Of course you need enough people to realize this and become disenchanted.
edit on 28-12-2013 by Rosinitiate because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 28 2013 @ 07:31 AM
link   
reply to post by pandersway

Greenwald is the man! I love this guy! He's the only journalist that has the cajones to condemn the press for it's failure to investigate and protect the American public. If you haven't watched his many YouTube videos condemning journalists during interviews, you're missing out. This guy is the most educated and brightest journalist out there (considering he also is a lawyer). He continues to hold the fire under journalists everywhere and has called out the lies by the NSA and the White House.

If you've never watched Glen in an interview, find some time and do so. You'll walk away knowing you just witnessed a true Patriot and a new found hero. If anyone can make journalists and those who tow the NSA line feel stupid, it's Glen Greenwald.

posted on Dec, 28 2013 @ 07:34 AM
link   
reply to post by WeRpeons

Will do, good input.

posted on Dec, 28 2013 @ 07:40 AM
link   
reply to post by pandersway

Greenwald argued that the media establishment at large is guilty of failing significantly with respect to accomplishing its most crucial role: keeping governments in check...

I've been saying this for 20 years to my family. It really is at the core of everything that is wrong in the United States right now. We give the press so much freedom because their jobs are so important for a Representative Republic to really work.

Uncle Walter led the way, giving his opinions as facts during the Vietnam war, and by today's standards of "journalistic integrity," Cronkite looks like a total ethical boy scout compared to the modern shills.

Ethics in journalism is about being outside of the story and keeping your own views seperate from the facts. Just the facts. That's it. We don't need to know about what kind of tingles you get up and down your leg when you see/feel/hear/touch/or taste Obama, Okay Chris Matthews? Sheesh, what a disgrace.

Peter Jennings after the Republican victory on election night, 2 years after Clinton was elected, anchoring the ABC News election coverage.

"Well, the American people threw a temper tantrum tonight...throwing the Democrats out of office yaddayaddayadaa..." I tuned you out right then Peter, as it was not your job to tell me that voting one way or another was throwing a temper tantrum. Your job, Peter, was to tell me the election returns and ONLY tell me about the election returns, in whatever way you could, without injecting YOUR opinion into it! I don't care what YOU thought, Peter! That wasn't your job.

I remember Katie Couric crying after Kerry lost, live, on NBC election night covereage, as the anchor. Crying. C'mon, I knew it was over at that point, as far as ever again being able to trust anything from the now obviously leftist media ever again. It was so scary at first because it was so blatant! So in your face! So "WE DON'T CARE IF YOU SEE THAT WE'RE NOT even pretending to be OBJECTIVE ANYMORE! DEAL WITH IT!!!"

I dealt with the networks, newspapers, by simply looking for as many alternative sources as I could, and I just don't watch them or take them seriously. I might look at a sports section or do the crossword in a newspaper, but that's it, and watching the evening news on one of the 5-7 leftist networks? No thanks. They are the real problem as they are coddling the politicians rather than exposing them. If the media did their jobs, the politicians would have to do their job, or resign, or be impeached or thrown in jail.

Part of it is also the laziness on the part of the people. Too many rely on their neighbors to stay informed for them and make the right decision every election. It takes too much time to really pay attention to issues and the impact each issue has on the social/moral fabric of our culture. People work, they come home, they want to relax and be with their wive/husband/bf/gf/family...etc, or go out and have fun. And politics and issues is SO BORING to most people (I like it because I like history), who wants to waste time on it? They have enough time to turn on the TV and watch the local and national news every night while they eat, maybe, and that's what they base all their information on, opinions offered by highly biased and non-objective news sources who cover for politicians rather than expose them.

And all you people who accuse FOX of being "right wing" are just dead wrong. They are just not as far left as Rachael Madcow or Piers Morgan or whoever else, so naturally, the "tolerant" extreme left brands them as "right wingers" for not being as leftist as MSNBC/CNN/PBS/CBS/NBC/ABC/NYT...etc, but they still let the politicians from both sides get away with murder, and don't really do anything deep to expose anything really worthwhile. They are the opiate of the right, who thinks FOX is a real alternative to all the other leftist news sources. It is illusory. They are only "right wing" when compared to the rest, but still left of center. They are most certainly not right wing. They are trying to act the most responsibly of all the networks by trying to even things out a little bit, but they really are just a placebo for the right and no real answer for a media that has shirked it's responsibility to expose corruption in government.

posted on Dec, 28 2013 @ 07:43 AM
link   
reply to post by Rosinitiate

I am just trying to put things in a historical perspective.

You talk of fighting for your freedom. However, I must ask you what freedom means to you?

My notion of freedom is that a Jewish Financier can operate freely financially as I can.

Is your notion of freedom that we need to take out the Rothschild and Rockerfeller Institutions then somehow everything will be much better? I tell you now our fate would be the same as Hitler's and Nazi Germany's if we started doing stuff like that. Or may be we should destroy Israel and give it to the Arabs and keep watch over those pesky Jews?

Do you get my point?

Those merchant Jews have backed our civilization and are an integral building block in it.

Any kind of order might be perceived by some as slavery and bondage. I keep coming back to this Winston Churchill quote where he said that democracy was the worst form of government apart from all the others. I agree with him. The Messiah has not returned or arrived (if you are Jewish) yet so we gonna have to make do with this for a while, lol.

I am honestly asking you what shall we do then about these pesky Rothschilds and all the other leaders of business, law and government?

My own approach is that they are who they are in the place they are in. I prefer these guys running the show rather than the other systems we have demonstrated on earth.

Yes I do trust this a bit more than you may be do. I think the Anti Christ will be the Rothschild's enemy you see. That is why I urge people to be very cautious with all this anti Zionist Rothschild hating propaganda.

posted on Dec, 28 2013 @ 07:59 AM
link   

I understand what your saying and certainly not trying to knock your truth. There are plenty of connections to go around, that's how they remain in power of course.

No, my idea isn't to single out some Rothchilds, besides, the fact you know there names means they are not the droids your looking for.

What I am saying is actually quite the opposite. Who cares about Rothchilds and there past aggressions? So what we hunt them down and do to them that they did to us? no.

We just need to stop playing. When everything is in context things can be perceived. You say you want to be able to finance the same as those with power equally. I say the financial institution is the control mechanism the binds us to them. Have we not evolved enough yet? How long does it take for us to realize this mechanism isn't needed anymore. I know, I know novel thought...the people governing people.

If big corporations and greedy financiers didn't exist than products and technologies designed to NOT BREAK would be available. Appliances that last a lifetime. Energy from the natural pulse of the earth. We are so used to having to toil to earn for us and ours but that's the game they'll have us play.

If all the best ideas weren't patented and shelved for decades if not century's, if ancient knowledge was hidden or obfuscated through dogma we wouldn't need to work more than a few hours a day. Our lives could be spent with our loved ones connecting with source and our planet. We can still have the nice things but all in moderation and everyone equally.

People wouldn't be as messed up as they are if they didn't have to grow up in poverty and destitute. If they saw love and not hate. Crime originates generally because people have no other way or were raised by those who did.

posted on Dec, 28 2013 @ 08:34 AM
link   

Rosinitiate

I understand what your saying and certainly not trying to knock your truth. There are plenty of connections to go around, that's how they remain in power of course.

No, my idea isn't to single out some Rothchilds, besides, the fact you know there names means they are not the droids your looking for.

What I am saying is actually quite the opposite. Who cares about Rothchilds and there past aggressions? So what we hunt them down and do to them that they did to us? no.

We just need to stop playing. When everything is in context things can be perceived. You say you want to be able to finance the same as those with power equally. I say the financial institution is the control mechanism the binds us to them. Have we not evolved enough yet? How long does it take for us to realize this mechanism isn't needed anymore. I know, I know novel thought...the people governing people.

If big corporations and greedy financiers didn't exist than products and technologies designed to NOT BREAK would be available. Appliances that last a lifetime. Energy from the natural pulse of the earth. We are so used to having to toil to earn for us and ours but that's the game they'll have us play.

If all the best ideas weren't patented and shelved for decades if not century's, if ancient knowledge was hidden or obfuscated through dogma we wouldn't need to work more than a few hours a day. Our lives could be spent with our loved ones connecting with source and our planet. We can still have the nice things but all in moderation and everyone equally.

People wouldn't be as messed up as they are if they didn't have to grow up in poverty and destitute. If they saw love and not hate. Crime originates generally because people have no other way or were raised by those who did.

Bless ya! I think your vision is a lovely one and it is mine, too. I bet if you spoke to say young David Rothschild he is thinking that way, too.

It is just where we are at in our development. We can see the world coming together now. We have got this far without exterminating ourselves. I am one of those fools that believe there is an ordered story to this ol' human race.

I am just trying to counteract hate wherever it is. I just don't think it is anyone's interest in the West to go making a scapegoat of the very things and people that have designed and built our civilization.

I just came to the conclusion (eventually) that Christ was right. He said respect the Leaders and only when they get you doing stuff that is against God do you rebel.

As it stands these guys in power let me worship my God and even give me rights and protection to do that. Christ said "He who welcomes the least of mine also welcomes me". Freemason Lodges let Christian men and women in so they can't be all bad can they???

I even know that some of the Rothschild families are Christian also. Just be careful who we scapegoat for the "blame" of the human condition. Sometimes we need look no further than the mirror.

About what you said with the equal access to finance. Well I must admit that I was given the chance, but I was too young and indifferent to the proposition at the time.

I think if anyone WANTED it enough they could achieve a certain amount of success in business. How bad do you want it? How far you prepared to go and what sacrifices are you willing to make?

Even now I could go and do a law degree or accountancy degree if I really wanted it that bad. I dare say something could come of that.

Think about it. We are only as bonded as we want to be and what we allow to control us. It's true. We still live in lands where it is both tolerated and even encouraged with the entrepreneurial spirit still very much alive!

That is the opportunity our Leaders allow us. Still here!

posted on Dec, 28 2013 @ 10:20 AM
link   
The media are among the biggest lobbyists of government and when Murdoch is all pally pally with Cameron then questions must be asked considering the Sun went from Labour to a Cameron backer very quickly.

Watch the documentary in my sig "Orwell rolls in his grave" all about this very subject.

posted on Dec, 28 2013 @ 12:07 PM
link   
"Snowden and his somewhat odd behavior in the Soviet Union "

OP, I'm sure you mean Russia. I'm not quite sure what you mean by odd behaviour. Should he of been interviewed by Piers Morgan on CNN?

The British media apart from the Guardian and the Independent will not debate this subject because it is "Top Secret" and "National Security". So you see GCHQ/MI%/SIS call the shots in the UK. Secrecy is power and they could not possibly have their power undermined.

To compound things even more you have the likes of tabloid newspapers in the UK spying and hacking on anyone and anything. The worst is Rupert Murdoch's Sun newspaper. There is a trial going on in the UK involving two of their previous editors. They couldn't criticise spying as they do it themselves!!

posted on Dec, 28 2013 @ 02:30 PM
link   
reply to post by ispyed

Snowden has been spotted in high profile situations in 'Russia' , have you not read? For someone seeking asylum this seems strange to me.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join