It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Coolest Mayor in the World

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 27 2013 @ 08:55 AM
link   
I don't get the angst about this guy not being a professional politician. Anyone for that matter. Turf them all out and bring in the comedians. All you need is a person with a decent brain and societal awareness. They are typically extremely smart and have balls. I can think of many that would make excellent leaders. Cosby, Carlin, Black, any of the Monty Python crew(highly educated). What they put forth in public is just massaging the populous.

posted on Dec, 27 2013 @ 10:22 AM
link   
reply to post by intrepid

Yeah, I feel ya. However, I would rather have a massage than a knife in the back.

posted on Dec, 27 2013 @ 11:51 AM
link   
This man goes to prove just how much of a unique place Iceland really is. They should just go ahead and declare themselves Communist and be an example for the world to follow. They already have an amazing form of democracy. If someone as honest and pure of heart like Jon can get elected in Iceland then there may be hope for the world after all.

posted on Dec, 27 2013 @ 12:19 PM
link   
And you think that's a plan?

C21H30O2I
reply to post by adjensen

Well for one he thinks he has a fix, for the decreasing population of the Faroe Islands. This is what Mayor Jón Gnarr said: "The Faroe Islands are amazing, with beautiful nature, remarkable history and culture. The solution is to reduce the significance of "christian values" and work towards equality of the sexes and a better social status for LGBT [Lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender] people. There, Icelanders have a lot to give."

I, for one, agree. Out the window with the current archaic christian fundamentalist values, destroying all of the society's it inhabits.

He may not have a very lengthy record, of changing the state of an union.(being his first go at it and all) He is though the change we need, desire and deserve. He has IMO, givin' people hope and the guts, to back someone/thing different than the status quo. and has paved the way, for future politicians that have other agendas than bold faced lies and robbing it's citizens.

Mayor Jón Gnarr has been a very active supporter of LBGT people as well as supporting all human rights. He for examples participates in the Icelandic Gay Pride parade and festival every year.

Not to mention, he is a breath of fresh air. A much needed medicine here in the states... But I see some would like to continue breathing the foal, stagnate air our current politicians spew.

I'm sure your happy to know... He wont seek out another go at office.

posted on Dec, 27 2013 @ 04:14 PM
link   
reply to post by pacific_waters

yes I do... He is by far better than most liers we have in DC currently. This dude is setting the frame work for future super political stars .

posted on Dec, 27 2013 @ 06:40 PM
link   
Think his daughters into American guys? Think she likes cuddley badgers oh my!

posted on Dec, 27 2013 @ 10:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Brotherman

She might brotherman! But I'm sure there's a lengthy line. She's Fantastic.

posted on Dec, 27 2013 @ 10:58 PM
link   
reply to post by C21H30O2I

Never know till ya try it I guess, (checking travelocity...) if you guys see the badger with two black eyes in the coming weeks yall know she told me twice

posted on Dec, 28 2013 @ 08:36 AM
link   

He's just like all the other mayors in making decisions, he just made a heads up he was gonna be a prick, looking "good" for the public while doing it.

Funny guy, crappy mayor.

Edit: He did warn the voters that he wasn't gonna do any good. And given that fact, the voters did it onto themselves. Maybe we needed it? A little comedy to show what politics really is, a play of drama turned to comedy in the recent years (at least here in Iceland, the past 15 years have been...well...corrupted)

On that note, he really made some bad decisions, but some good. So overall, not quite bad, but well: Not unlike any other mayor we've had apart from the comedy side.

Btw, o/ from Hafnarfjörður.
edit on 28/12/13 by Sump3 because: Felt my original post was quite unfair and unclear.

posted on Dec, 28 2013 @ 02:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Sump3

komdu blessaur, Sump. I appreciate your point of view. From someone onsite! Here in America, I'd love to see some stiffs like him. They don't do much here. but surely they can have a little more character.

posted on Dec, 28 2013 @ 02:37 PM
link   

Had to post this, hahahaha sorry if it is distracting but I felt it was an important "aspect" of proving Gnarr is the coolest mayor!

PS I like your new avatar very rad brother

posted on Dec, 28 2013 @ 03:00 PM
link   

Sæll og blessaður

Yes I agree on the part that the old "I'm your daddy" mask that every politician seem to put on when they come in to position is very tiring. Deepening their voice, trying to appear perfect so that every word they utter sound like the ultimate truth.

Jón Gnarr is alright on that part I guess, but one fun fact that most people don't ever hear outside this country is that no mayor except him has had as much advisors around him to "steer" him in the right direction, or protect his position if you will.

You all should check out the politican party "Píratar" here in Iceland. They are much more down to earth and stand up for everything (at least, to this stage, who knows in the future if they'll be influenced) that they feel is wrong. Like phone tapping(NSA) and no Internet spying etc.

They advocate freedom and support Wikileaks(controversial topic) and many other liberal(don't like to label right, left, extreme or not) agendas.

Care and love towards you brother

posted on Dec, 28 2013 @ 07:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Sump3

dásamlegt að heyra!

I'm sure he has a load of advisers, good and bad. This dude is cool to me because, in lite of, lets just use the Banks and that klan. To them, he's like a kid running loose in an amusement park. Not the ever stiff puppet, Sorta care-free. Not serious.

Although not to productive, a nice change in personality... couple that with a great leader (someday) and we'll have something.... maybe. What do I know? I am thankful, for your insight on the Mayor.

Sjáumst í kring

posted on Dec, 28 2013 @ 09:00 PM
link   

Yes, a leader must be the people, as the people. Not as an outsider figure that is "trancendental" in nature.

It was nice exchanging opinions with you and I hope all the best for you and hopefully you'll get that which you wish for.

Thank you for reading my responses with such clarity and responding with such kindness.

Hafðu það gott
og já, sjáumst

edit on 28/12/13 by Sump3 because: Added to my goodbye

posted on Dec, 28 2013 @ 09:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Sump3

On that note, he really made some bad decisions, but some good.

Can you give examples of bad and good decisions that he's made?

posted on Dec, 28 2013 @ 10:04 PM
link   
reply to post by adjensen

The thing is, mayors in Iceland don't make very big decisions on their own. It's the town council that's made up of his party (Besti flokkurinn) and another party that his party decided to co-op with. And even they don't make very big decisions. Alþingi (our parliament/senate) make our biggest decisions.

Good:

Added 500million krónurs ontop of 150million krónurs in his first year to advance schools and public places.

He stopped dividend payments in a company that was literally on a huge slope that Reykjavík had major stocks in. If I remember correctly.

He really introduced Iceland well to the world. (Boost in economy, c'mon, we're only 320k over here)

Bad:

We have more than enough houses here that are available for rent or buy. He decided to keep on selling lands to contractors to build more. Even though when the econ. collapse of '08 came many contractors went bankrupt and instead of buying those contracts, he sold new land.

And the decision to remove Reykjavík airport (not to be confused with our main airport Keflavík) which covers most of our patient/hospital transport.

And there are more, I'm tired, might add some in the morning

Hope this satisfies and that I am remembering correctly. I do remember though that I have been glad and pissed during his "reign".

posted on Dec, 29 2013 @ 05:30 AM
link   
What a guy! Today, Monty Python could rule the world!

posted on Dec, 29 2013 @ 10:28 AM
link   
reply to post by Sump3

Sump, þakka þér svo mikið fyrir að taka þátt ég hef lært mikið og fengið flott vinur! I appreciate your opinion and facts. Was a great exchange. Iceland and the people there, including yourself, Rock!

Ég óska ​​ykkur alls hins besta, það er verið frábært að tala við þig, ég vona að gera það aftur einhvern tíma. halda höfðinu upp íslenska vin minn.

posted on Dec, 29 2013 @ 01:10 PM
link   
And here is his campaign video, lol

posted on Dec, 30 2013 @ 08:09 AM
link   
Welcome to modern politics, where impressions mean everything and policies don't count.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join