It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

First North American lunar meteorite?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 26 2013 @ 11:37 PM
link   
reply to post by blindprometheus

How to tell if you have a meteorite HERE

posted on Dec, 27 2013 @ 02:43 AM
link   

blindprometheus
It does look like my rock.
Maybe it does to you, but I don't see the resemblance. The magnetite photo shows a dark rock with fine grain, Yours looks much lighter, has much coarser grain.

I'm not saying your rock isn't magnetite, I'm just saying I don't see the similarity.

posted on Dec, 27 2013 @ 02:33 PM
link   
reply to post by blindprometheus

My first thought was conglomerate as well. Aside from all the current rivers and the presence of the Great Lakes, northeastern Ohio was covered by the sea roughly 400 MYA. The conglomerate is younger though, formed roughly 300 MYA. It is especially prevalent in the Cuyahoga Valley area, which is also in the northeastern Ohio region.

posted on Dec, 27 2013 @ 03:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Arbitrageur

It is a different color and texture but in comparison to other attempts, I think magnetite hit the nail on the head. The scratch test, which I over looked in my reading, was what I needed to be pointed to. I of coarse had to ask, can meteorites contain magnetite? The answer is not really. It can only have traces.

Magnetite and hematite are oxides of iron. Magnetite occurs as a trace to minor mineral in several kinds of meteorites. Rubin (1997a) states that it is the "principal oxide phase in the CK chondrites," a rare type of meteorite (0.3%). Geiger and Bischoff (1995) found that the modal abundance of magnetite ranged from 1% to 8% in the 19 CK chondrites that they studied. Thus, a large CK chondrite with 8% magnetite might deflect a compass needle.

I thank you all for your help. I have almost no formal education in geology and this has been a 20 year mystery. Guess I can focus on another way to make it rich

top topics

<< 1   >>

join