It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

This will warm your heart - Quixote Village!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 26 2013 @ 11:38 AM
link   
Olympia, Washington has built a permanent 'tiny-homes' village for a number of homeless residents:

Seattle Times

posted on Dec, 26 2013 @ 12:31 PM
link   
How soon will it be before the scumbags in the govt force this to shut down.....

posted on Dec, 26 2013 @ 12:38 PM
link   
How wonderful! Such cute little cottages too. They are not much different than workers cottages that you used to see all over the place.

Studies have shown that homeless people, especially those that battle addiction, end up doing much better when they have a place to call their own, some even resulting quiting their demon altogether.

It gives them a sense of pride and stability, so a stable residence almost is a form of therapy in a way.

I wonder how it is funded?

I agree with the one comment, there should be many more of these.

posted on Dec, 26 2013 @ 12:49 PM
link   
reply to post by signalfire

Wow, thanks for that story. I would say this has restored my faith in humanity but I would have to lost it first.
I used to be cynical and let a few bad apples ruin my view on the world but when you really get out there you see that this is human nature.

Its the bad ones that are the exceptions. My experiences in the last ten years have helped me realize that there is always hope. Good on those folks and panza for stepping up and helping their fellow man.

-CJ

posted on Dec, 26 2013 @ 12:52 PM
link   

HomerinNC
How soon will it be before the scumbags in the govt force this to shut down.....

It seems to have been done with the complete cooperation of the local government. This is what happens when progressive governments work with progressive local social advocacy groups; apparently the local Unitarian-Universalist people had a bit to do with it.

There is no earthly reason why people should be standing on the side of the road with a cardboard sign begging for money, or sleeping outdoors. This kind of facility allows them some safety and dignity, an address and phone number from which to look for work, etc. Compare the 'cost' of this to the 50K it costs society to house someone in a privateering jail for a year...

posted on Dec, 26 2013 @ 01:58 PM
link   
I could live in a little 6x8 shed if there was a community center and bathroom near by. There could be public toilets at the center. I might need four semi-trailers for my junk though...maybe five would be better.

posted on Dec, 26 2013 @ 02:00 PM
link   
reply to post by nixie_nox

I am not opposed to this, but would they have much more pride and ownership if this were a project where they were involved in the construction of their own places? Then how much more would the place be theirs?

posted on Dec, 26 2013 @ 02:13 PM
link   
They tried to do that here with a campground until they figured out people were burning their trailers down to get moved up the permanent housing list faster. Then the gave the campground to a company to manage and the company sold the property.

posted on Dec, 26 2013 @ 02:28 PM
link   
Wow, well done to all those responsible.

I am amazed to have read this, it proves there are still some sensible people in authority, even in USA!

To have given these people, for that is what they are, their dignity and hope back is brilliant and gives me some hope that the US still retains some of its virtues.

A great opportunity for TPTB to learn...

top topics

join