It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

selling the hype @ $500.00 ! ? !

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 26 2013 @ 07:56 AM
link   
yeeeah ..

my Jaw dropped at seeing this ...the logic in purchasing one is ....none ? maybe ..

and you don't really get to keep it if the company goes belly up.. and you lost you $500.00! Yes.. that's US REAL dollars..

now mind you, I know since EQ1, people were selling accounts like mad @ 2-5k a pop.. saw it.. knew people that did it.. however.. that would get you healthy chunck of coin to play with & a lvl 60 toon decked out in highest gear.. ..but...this ?? (scroll halfway down to see it) just for 1 .. i dunno.. maybe I shouldn't be so shocked but, I think companies are losing their fan base for the greed of the hype.. I"m I wrong ??

Mechwarrior.com
edit on 26-12-2013 by Komodo because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 26 2013 @ 08:06 AM
link   
reply to post by Komodo

I don't think you're wrong at all. It seems the game companies are shamelessly milking the dollar like milk from a cow. Only it's parents getting to 'moo' their way to the digital and RW checkout.

Personally? My experience with games that have single player ability but require login started and..forever..ended with Blizzard and Diablo III. Never again. Ever.

Games that want to peddle DLC at these rates? lol.... I'll laugh at the idea some parents are gullible enough to shell this out for Jr. to smile. I'll just shake my head in pure bewilderment at adults who'll pay this for items in a game. A game...a non-existant world, full of imaginary things that have 0 impact for any real world meaning......except profit to the companies of course. THAT meaning is very real, eh? lol.....

I'm with you OP...just confused.

posted on Dec, 26 2013 @ 08:10 AM
link   
That is pure madness. That's what happens when you put in charge the guy that dreams ONLY about money...

I say BOOH! and never will they get my money for such a thing...

posted on Dec, 26 2013 @ 08:54 AM
link   
the $500 is for golden mechs from what i can see. it looks like a way for someone to invest in the early stages of development. its only in open beta right? still got a lot of finishing to do that costs $. gotta raise it somehow and offering up special packages is usually how they do it.

not saying that buying these packs isn't silly but for a true fanboy its nothing. we all have hobbies. some people climb mount everest in digital others go for it analog.

a game style we all need to be weary of is the "Skylanders" model. the game is pokemon like from what i can tell and if you want to use a certain character you need to buy to an action figure.... "GOTTA BUY EM ALL!"

posted on Dec, 26 2013 @ 09:26 AM
link   

mindseye1609
the $500 is for golden mechs from what i can see. it looks like a way for someone to invest in the early stages of development. its only in open beta right? still got a lot of finishing to do that costs $. gotta raise it somehow and offering up special packages is usually how they do it.

not saying that buying these packs isn't silly but for a true fanboy its nothing. we all have hobbies. some people climb mount everest in digital others go for it analog.

a game style we all need to be weary of is the "Skylanders" model. the game is pokemon like from what i can tell and if you want to use a certain character you need to buy to an action figure.... "GOTTA BUY EM ALL!"

That's kinda the take I got from it,

Like kickstarter , simply away to recoup development cost and give the fans a chance to contribute.

Though the prices are excessive .

posted on Dec, 26 2013 @ 07:20 PM
link   

Wrabbit2000
reply to post by Komodo

I don't think you're wrong at all. It seems the game companies are shamelessly milking the dollar like milk from a cow. Only it's parents getting to 'moo' their way to the digital and RW checkout.

Personally? My experience with games that have single player ability but require login started and..forever..ended with Blizzard and Diablo III. Never again. Ever.

Games that want to peddle DLC at these rates? lol.... I'll laugh at the idea some parents are gullible enough to shell this out for Jr. to smile. I'll just shake my head in pure bewilderment at adults who'll pay this for items in a game. A game...a non-existant world, full of imaginary things that have 0 impact for any real world meaning......except profit to the companies of course. THAT meaning is very real, eh? lol.....

I'm with you OP...just confused.

You'd think, if you're going to spend that amount of money...

...why not put it in a bank account for jr.

posted on Dec, 26 2013 @ 07:21 PM
link   

NowanKenubi
That is pure madness. That's what happens when you put in charge the guy that dreams ONLY about money...

I say BOOH! and never will they get my money for such a thing...

same here..

IF I did, it would have to make me $$$$ in real life as well.

posted on Dec, 26 2013 @ 07:32 PM
link   

benrl

mindseye1609

That's kinda the take I got from it,

Like kickstarter , simply away to recoup development cost and give the fans a chance to contribute.

Though the prices are excessive .

Agreed on all points as well.. however, I'm a big Mechwarrior fan, had 16 miniatures and foam landscapes as well, enough to cover 2 6' tables & even went to a convention and met the guy that designed the game and watched him lose to the last man standing.

Totally understand about making a business work, been there, done that, got the T-shirt. I guess in my mind the question I have is; 'what about making it affordable to ALL the fans?' what's wrong with having a business model where it rewards on longevity as well as dedication?

Was just talking about this with a family member and we had played WoW for 6 years.. 6!
Yea I know, maybe it was the interaction of entertainment on a budget that we loved about it.

why doesn't membership have it's rewards any more ya know? Remove the $$$ out of equation, and that's a real challenge

posted on Dec, 26 2013 @ 10:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Komodo

I used to collect comic books big time. At first, I had a book for 70 cents or close to that. Then they "improved" the thing with quintuple covers and oh so needed holograms on the covers.

It was a nice gimmick at first, but then, it became the norm, and every books were being sold at 5 dollars each, then 7...

I decided it was time to quit. Instead of enjoying a dozen comics a month, I could only enjoy 2 or three... And even then, I had to buy special comics to get the whole of the story or titles I usually didn't follow.
It was not about entertaining people anymore, it was about making shareholders even richer than they were.

Suddenly, collecting comics was a sport for the rich. Much like what we see happening with gaming, with their DLCs, and special stuff, or stuff that will allow you to end the game... Saddening it is...

posted on Dec, 27 2013 @ 12:17 AM
link   
reply to post by Komodo

I'm lazy. Is this a pledge thing? Like a Kickstarter?

I've got a little over $100 into StarCitizen (breaking records for crowdfunding @ $35 Million + now). There are people that dropped $15,000. We want the game, so it's being crowd funded and that money doesn't go to commercials and big budget nonsense. It goes into the game itself.

I threw money at it because I want to see it made and be successful, and because I wanted access to Alpha and Beta and the ability to vote on game content. No regrets so far, and even if the game isn't released in 2015 it's nice to feel like you're a part of something awesome.

I love the idea of crowdfunding, and that has more to do with my 'wasting' money on a game that isn't out yet. I would much rather buy a game from a publisher that's more interested in turning out quality and listening to fans during the design phase than dolling out exorbitant amounts for advertising for a fairly lackluster game. It goes beyond gaming too. If crowdfunding takes off, it can change a lot of things. Change a lot of business models. Instead of having certain companies with a stranglehold on the market, we can have upstarts funded well enough to challenge the big boys. In turn the big boys make better games, or whatever.

I may be off, but if this is a crowdfunding endeavor it's not about the ridiculous price on 'internet merchandise'. It's about funding something you really want to see materialize. You get some bonuses for pledging that others won't when the game comes out, you take a risk and you get to have the satisfaction of knowing you made the whole experience possible.

posted on Dec, 27 2013 @ 06:06 PM
link   

Domo1
reply to post by Komodo

I'm lazy. Is this a pledge thing? Like a Kickstarter?

I've got a little over $100 into StarCitizen (breaking records for crowdfunding @ $35 Million + now). There are people that dropped $15,000. We want the game, so it's being crowd funded and that money doesn't go to commercials and big budget nonsense. It goes into the game itself.

I threw money at it because I want to see it made and be successful, and because I wanted access to Alpha and Beta and the ability to vote on game content. No regrets so far, and even if the game isn't released in 2015 it's nice to feel like you're a part of something awesome.

I love the idea of crowdfunding, and that has more to do with my 'wasting' money on a game that isn't out yet. I would much rather buy a game from a publisher that's more interested in turning out quality and listening to fans during the design phase than dolling out exorbitant amounts for advertising for a fairly lackluster game. It goes beyond gaming too. If crowdfunding takes off, it can change a lot of things. Change a lot of business models. Instead of having certain companies with a stranglehold on the market, we can have upstarts funded well enough to challenge the big boys. In turn the big boys make better games, or whatever.

I may be off, but if this is a crowdfunding endeavor it's not about the ridiculous price on 'internet merchandise'. It's about funding something you really want to see materialize. You get some bonuses for pledging that others won't when the game comes out, you take a risk and you get to have the satisfaction of knowing you made the whole experience possible.

Crowdfunding ..

it could be but, I'd think a funder would want more than a ingame item. Even Kickstarter does a better job and some of the rewards for it are pretty nice; this however, I'm not so sure. $100 is reasonable and I guess it depends on how deep your pockets are.

Here's my what if': So lets say I spend $500.00 for the clan mech, 3 months down the road, the producers say.. "Sorry all, we can't afford to keep the servers up, but thanks for your support~GL& HF>"

Did I just get ripped off? Lesser companies have done less and got caught ! & we can haggle over was it intended? LOL..hmmmm....2 words come to mind with that word...Wall Street

I guess I'm looking at something more...tangible in the real world for my investment of $500.00. Can not gaming companies come up with a business model than this ?

posted on Jan, 1 2014 @ 08:52 AM
link   
I have already pumped over 400 pound into MWO, I bought the founders pack, the overlord pack and bought all the pay for mechs.....my advice is don't spend a bean on MWO the company has just lied towards the community promising us no third person then they add it, promised us community warfare and it is about a year over due.
It is a great game and much fun can be had but I just do nottrust PGI at all and refuse to buy anything else.

Clan tech? already? before CW? it is BS.
Why pay when you can play for free? I sure wish I didn't pump all my dosh into it.

posted on Jan, 4 2014 @ 08:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Komodo

Stupid #, not only that. But its just lame...

Mech warrior may have been awesome in like 1999, but even then it was kind of lame. The designs for these mechs are way ineffective you may as well just stick tanks in the game as other then some cool factor in a real life situation a walking pod with missiles will not be any different then a tank, in fact it will probably just be easier to destroy it. There basically walking tanks, which is kind of pointless if a tank would be able to outmaneuver you anyways. The armored core series and pretty much other mech series as a game would mop the floor with the whole mechwarrior games, in general only a few hardcore gamers even buy these games and they only do it to relieve the nostalgia they had back when they were 15yrs old and played the first game.

But hey people can spend there hard earned cash on whatever they like, I seen people pay much more for sillier and stupider things.

posted on Jan, 5 2014 @ 04:44 AM
link   

boymonkey74
I have already pumped over 400 pound into MWO, I bought the founders pack, the overlord pack and bought all the pay for mechs.....my advice is don't spend a bean on MWO the company has just lied towards the community promising us no third person then they add it, promised us community warfare and it is about a year over due.
It is a great game and much fun can be had but I just do not trust PGI at all and refuse to buy anything else.

Clan tech? already? before CW? it is BS.
Why pay when you can play for free? I sure wish I didn't pump all my dosh into it.

Sorry to hear you got bit....

Appreciate the advice and it's WELL taken. In a world where the econ is trash world wide, corp greed lives on to serve the 1%...

As I said before, I'm a big fan, the storyline is so believable, it borderlines on the prophetic of future tech, as we have seen computer tech jump by leaps and bounds within each decade.

At this point, will be ever be able to see a completely free to play model at all, baring GW & GW2 ?

posted on Jan, 5 2014 @ 04:48 AM
link   
reply to post by Komodo

Oh it is completely free to play, you can buy any mech with c bills apart from the hero mechs which arn't pay to win just a little different from their hero mech counterparts (different skins, mech hardpoints) It is just as you say Iam a big fan of the universe so I decided to back the game.
Not playing it at the moment until CW comes out.

top topics

join