It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Migration out of Michigan Halts, Moving Data Shows

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 25 2013 @ 12:45 PM
link   
Hey, what do ya know? Another story with some good feel to it. I know Michigan is having hard times. Harder than most, to look at Detroit among others. I've wondered how people in other areas of the state are doing though? I got into the Upper Peninsula a couple times in the truck and that was like a totally different state compared to the areas along the Ohio and Indiana borders.

However the state works out for different areas though, it seems at least ONE measure has stopped moving in a bad direction.

A new study by the nation's largest household moving company indicates that migration out of Michigan has finally slowed to a virtual halt.

Suburban St. Louis-based United Van Lines released its 37th annual migration study to The Associated Press. The company tracks the states its customers move to and from over the course of a year, including Washington, D.C., but excluding Alaska and Hawaii.

Michigan was about evenly balanced between inbound and outbound moves. The state had 16 straight years of outbound migration and was tops in outbound moves from 2006 through 2009.

I wonder about some local perspective? What do Michiganders think of the numbers? Is it legit to take meaning from or just a fluke of statistics, and how these things sometimes go in a single year's example?

..in other areas..

The study showed that states in the West and Southeast are attracting more residents. Many states with high percentages of outbound moves are in the Northeast.
Source

A mixed bag for the national picture of movement, I suppose. Good news for Michigan tho?

A little ray of sunshine through the clouds perhaps?

posted on Dec, 25 2013 @ 12:54 PM
link   
No jobs = No money = Can't afford to move?

Just a thought.

Peace

posted on Dec, 25 2013 @ 12:55 PM
link   
Sounds to me like they've finally gotten down to the poorest folk who can't afford to move anywhere.

posted on Dec, 25 2013 @ 12:58 PM
link   
reply to post by jude11

Hmm.. Yes and No I'd imagine. That has to play some role, but the story said the number moving in simply met the number moving out for ratio..so they found a general wash for the net balance, it sounds.

Still beats the overall migration outward up to now, eh?

*It's Xmas..I'm hunting for interesting stories with a smile, even if just a little one.

posted on Dec, 25 2013 @ 01:06 PM
link   
reply to post by jude11

That was my first thought.
It's got to be a factor.
In Michigan, I think you are either fairly poor, or fairly well-off.

I don't see it as bad around here as it has been.
Hopefully, Michigan will only get better.

Years ago....maybe 15...we traveled to the UP.
It was so bad up there then that liquor stores were going out of business.

posted on Dec, 25 2013 @ 01:35 PM
link   
WTH?

No flags for a thought provoking topic?

I'll start it off.

S&F

Peace

posted on Dec, 25 2013 @ 01:58 PM
link   
We are a different species up here in the Upper Peninsula. Many of us like to have a garden and hunt and fish. Many people here are accustomed to living on less yet but many have started to shift to dependence on consumerism over the years. It is depressing. Not many people would go out and fish or pick berries for a while, but the trend is starting to go back to this. I like that, it makes us less dependent on the corruption that runs society. The problem is that those who want us dependent on them are on the increase and holding firm, trying to shut down the fruit stands and small stores. I think this is stupid for us to let them do that. We need to be self sufficient, we can buy local and support our own. The thing is that people have been brainwashed that commercial food is better and it is safer. That is false, the treating of the food to slow it's oxidation and stop it from being eaten by bacteria and fungus is causing problems. Veggies have natural chemicals to keep these from happening for a short time. The problem is extending the time it takes to get on our table is using up all that natural resistance and the food needs to have chemistry added to make it last longer. This chemistry, organic or inorganic, is often a problem. A little isn't bad, but there is way too much being added.

So up here there are miners who get paid well, the money they make is spent. But these people don't support our local small stores much anymore, they have been convinced big chain or online shopping will get them more and more makes them appear richer. Buy local Yoopers, buy what you need. If we buy local than there will be more jobs here and everyone will be happier. Screw the rest of the country, they are not our kind. We are our kind.

Treat the tourists well and they will return to spend more money and make more jobs, but do not let them destroy this natural paradise we have here. I love the maples and pines. They make walking in the woods beautiful. Don't destroy the blueberry patches by not going there, they need the nitrogen we can provide for them and by picking the berries and dripping our sweat on them it develops the patch. They need animals as much as we enjoy their fruit.

We are having homemade blueberry pie and homemade tart cherry pie today made from the cherries on my brothers tree and the blueberries growing in the woods. I never got to pick wild apples from abandoned trees this year to make real applesauce,but I won't mess up next year. If you prune an old tree and give it some nutrients, it will start making good apples again. You do not need to replace the tree. When you get a new tree, you fertilize it, why not spend that time helping the old tree to produce fruit for you.

I never even considered leaving the UP. I wish I could convince people here not to try to keep up with the Jones and to buy local when possible. It seems that all the old hardwares that stocked everything are disappearing today. What a shame, it's boring to go to a new hardware nowadays.

posted on Dec, 25 2013 @ 02:08 PM
link   

jude11

Just a thought.

Peace

OR ... Can't afford National Van Lines (or their "partners"). I know from moving across country that NVL was eeexxxpensive. If I had to do it again, I would probably rent a big ass u-haul and do it myself. I'd probably end up with less broken stuff as well, nor would they lose my cargo .. again. Single source company stats, regardless of how large the corporation, is not a good source to use for the broader society.

I still do find it interesting a state like Oregon is a "top moving location" .. the economy here sucks.

posted on Dec, 25 2013 @ 02:42 PM
link   
Southwest MI here and we never really had a downtime. Business is booming and not enough people willing to get out of bed in the morning. Need a roofer , drywall guy , electrican or any trade lots of luck getting a call back
edit on 25-12-2013 by mikell because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 25 2013 @ 03:49 PM
link   
Well, id say mixed bag.
The upper peninsula is almost another country (almost canadian
) . Life up there is different but its not a bad life.

I'm a troll , i live under the bridge ( lower michigan ) and things here have been getting gradually better.
I know people who still move out of state but I've been meeting people who are moving in state.
Its slow and steady unless you live in detroit. The city still needs some new life, however alot of people are started to get interested in what to do with it. Alot of investors have been buying up property in the city so you never know.

I would be surprised if thing werent very diffrent in ten years.

posted on Dec, 25 2013 @ 08:39 PM
link   
I moved from the Detroit Metro area a couple months ago. Do you still see for lease signs all up and down the business district roads? Get out before you live in Flint. Best advice I can give you. You can always move back if the economy blesses the area with a regrowth in the future. I don't see this happening myself.

I loved Detroit in the past and it hurts me to the core seeing it die. I can't hold on to a pipe dream.

posted on Dec, 29 2013 @ 10:45 PM
link   
I live in MI, and YES...it does suck balls!!! There is little to no jobs, and what jobs there are they want:

20+ years of experience
Every certification known to man
Masters or PHD. degree
willing to drive to multiple locations with YOUR car on YOUR dollar
Ohh, and willing to start at $8 PER HOUR!!!

This is of course an exaggeration, but the sad part, is that it really isn't by that much. I have a Bachelor's degree, graduated top of my class, have years of exp. and a model employee... and i can't find anything that want's to start at more than 30,000 per year to start, with # or no benefits to top it off.

posted on Dec, 30 2013 @ 02:00 AM
link   

jude11

Just a thought.

Peace

I live in south east Michigan...

People from Toledo (Ohio) are moving up here frequently.

People from here are moving to Ohio.

Very strange... and this has been going on for a few years now. We got all new neighbors.

posted on Dec, 30 2013 @ 02:28 AM
link   
I was born and raised in Detroit, but now my wife and I live in Inkster (Number 10 most dangerous city in the country! Woo!) and it's a mess. They closed the schools down after the end of the 2012-2013 year. So now the kids are all getting shipped off to the surrounding districts. Of course, not all of them. A good portion are just not in school, which leaves them hanging around causing lots of trouble. Oh, and there really isn't anyone to enforce the laws around here, since the city laid off half its police force about a year ago. The violent crime has skyrocketed. That's just the tip of the iceberg.

We're moving to DFW soon. Heading down next week to look at some houses. Can't wait to get out of this godforsaken place. But we'll be using a U-Haul and enlisting family and friends. Too cheap and paranoid for movers.

posted on Dec, 30 2013 @ 06:10 AM
link   
I'm in Warren 2 blocks North of Detroit. I use to work in the factories that were here. It use to be you could make a decent wage regardless of your education level. Starting around 2003 I witnessed entire industrial complexes disappear over night. I went from employer to employer layoff after layoff until there was practically nothing left.

I'm looking to leave the area. I'm a sportsman and fishing is my life. With the threat of the jumping carp decimating the great lakes I'm probably going to leave because of it. I'm familiar with the upper peninsula and I'm thinking about moving somewhere along Lake Superior. It's either that or Florida but I can't stand cockroaches and there all over the place down there.

posted on Dec, 31 2013 @ 01:12 AM
link   
reply to post by cmdrkeenkid

Wow, that really sucks that Inkster is so bad. I have heard of it before, but I have never been there. I don't mean to pry, but where exactly is DFW?? That is a new one that I have not heard.

posted on Jan, 5 2014 @ 09:40 PM
link   
reply to post by InCeNdIaDrAcOnIs

It's not just Inkster and Detroit. It's slowly becoming all of Wayne County and Southeastern Michigan. So much of what happens around here depends on the social and economic environment of Detroit. And much like the weather around here right now, it's nasty out there.

DFW is Dallas-Fort Worth, Texas.

posted on Jan, 19 2014 @ 10:43 PM
link   
successful use of search engine..

I am looking at this and gleefully hoping the migration INTO Michigan doesn't happen before my move.

After failed attempts of moving the family to the south, the southwest, and places with those regions, I am preparing to move to Michigan. Originally from Illinois and the U.P. has been calling me for 20 years.

After doing much internet research, I am confounded as to why all the ghost towns and abandoned cities in the U.P.? The Detroit area is self explanatory, due to the De-industrialization plan the globalists have done there.

But, why the U.P.? what is it like there now, compared to the 90's? what an extremely enchanting place, full of nature..

Do any yoopers think the U.P. is viable for a family?

posted on Jan, 19 2014 @ 11:25 PM
link   
reply to post by HanzHenry

Just like with the rest of the State, a loss of available jobs resulted in the loss of population.

Historically, the UP was full of rich mining and lumber towns. As those industries have wound down operations due to several economic, social, and governmental reasons people have left to find gainful employment elsewhere. Most of this decline happened in the first half of the 20th century.

In the last thirty plus years the economy has been driven primarily by tourism. With the economic crises of the last decade, the tourism industry has taken a large hit. This, coupled with the short summer tourist season (late May through early September) has only hindered this. There is still a large draw for hunters and skiers during the winter months though.

Another contributing factor is the age of the UP. Most young people are leaving for college and simply do not come back. In the 2010 census the average age was 48.6, up from 38.9 in 2000. Source

The population decline has slowed down a bit recently. The UP only lost about 2% of its residents between 2000 and 2010. Source

Also, the winters there are unbearable if you're not used to such climate extremes. And be sure you buy winter tires.

Hope that helps give you an idea or jumping off point in your searches for the reasons behind the decline in population.

posted on Jan, 19 2014 @ 11:51 PM
link   
reply to post by cmdrkeenkid

thanks.. I feel for you regarding the problems in Inkster. Central Illinois has flat-lined also. won't subject my family to that mess. Plus, nothing but flat and corn/soy fields.. the definition of boring.

I don't think you will enjoy Texas after a few months. Once again, I am not racist. BUT, the place is too close to Mexico and the problems and riff raff has definitely bled over. Personally, after seeing Southern California deteriorate over the last 20 years, I can't imagine anywhere this close to the border doing any other than continuing its Tijuana-fication.

would you consider homesteading the U.P.?

top topics

<<   2 >>

join