It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The proper way to deal with Pirates, How Iron Maiden found its worst music pirates.

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 25 2013 @ 10:28 AM
link   
reply to post by Xcalibur254

I think that's a given.

Bands make the majority of their money through merchandising, touring/concerts, etc.

The Studios net their return mainly through record sales and its own recording rights.

posted on Dec, 25 2013 @ 11:09 AM
link   
Rich managers who wanted just a little too much and wanted a "good looking" legal case on their resumes.
If I were an artist as a career and people were publicizing and enjoying my work for free, I'd promise more, locally at events and use that publicity to fuel my success.

Authentics, Merchandise, ticketed appearances, requests, collaborations, advertisements... The list is really endless. It's because of the internet and digital sharing that so many music bands and personalities are recognized internationally today.

However, if you swear you're an artist and can only tune your voice electronically afterwards, change to a different medium if you suck to the point you can't perform for people and you complain every time p2p downloads are going hot.
edit on 25-12-2013 by BlubberyConspiracy because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 25 2013 @ 11:12 AM
link   
reply to post by benrl

I just submitted 13 songs for copyright and will be publishing them online to listen to for free soon. Thanks for the valuable links/info, especially the "musicmetric" stuff! It looks affordable, even the top of the line package. What a great way to see if anyone gives a fig, or if it's all just fam/friends saying "wow, that's awesome!" blowing smoke up my bum because they know me. lol. Thanks again!

posted on Dec, 25 2013 @ 11:12 AM
link   
Funny thing is Metallica got their first record contract BECAUSE of pirated tapes BITD. Just a wee bit ironic, eh?

I've been saying for years that Maiden is the biggest band in the world right now. Who else fires up their own plane, puts their gear in the back and the band and crew up front then has their bloody singer fly the damned thing around, doing 50,000 miles in a couple of months? Who else can do that, and who has the balls to do that?

I've met musicians who are dicks. Not so with the two, Dave and Adrian, I met a few years back. Totally cool gents, they came down and Bs'ed for a few minutes with us jokers hanging around the buses. For guys that are in their position they didn't have to shoot the crap with us, but they did. That stuff goes a long way in how people view the band. They even made fun of themselves by putting out a band argument as a B-side, who does that kind of thing?

In order to survive, one must learn to adapt. Not only are Maiden surviving, they are thriving. Yet the RIAA would rather prosecute than adapt and when they do decide to adapt, they run someone out of the business(Napster) and steal their idea(iTunes). They couldn't even let the upstarts, who had a good idea, play in their little game. Greedy bastards who will end up going the way of the eight-track.

edit on 12/25/2013 by TheSpanishArcher because: That infernal missing O.

posted on Dec, 25 2013 @ 11:16 AM
link   
Great twist, turn the piracy into potential sale figure and make a bigger profit.

posted on Dec, 25 2013 @ 11:19 AM
link   
Always have liked Iron Maiden, always will. This is yet another reason. Just a bunch of cool ass blokes.

posted on Dec, 25 2013 @ 11:30 AM
link   
We look at 100s of cases where the band got screwed and it was from the record companies. Two notables were Boston and TLC, Boston being the big one because they could not make music at all for like 20 years...what a waste...

Fast forward we see bands that put their music up for free with donations and they actually get more money, so piracy basically effects the guys in the suits mostly. They are bottom feeders that can't make their own music so they need to rip off the musicians and fans and after 100s years of doing so they now scream foul as they get removed from the process due to technology making them obsolete.

posted on Dec, 25 2013 @ 11:50 AM
link   
It's about time.

This is what the RIAA and MPAA should look at if they weren't shoving their heads so far up their bums.

I've actually gotten into some good music/movies through downloads...in fact, I stream the movie through putlocker or another site, then try to find it in the 5$ bin at Walmart. That's how I got Bourne Legacy, Sherlock Holmes, The Hurt Locker, and all my other DVDs I own

posted on Dec, 25 2013 @ 12:11 PM
link   
reply to post by benrl

You would think that with all the 'creative minds & personalities' that flood the music industry - this would have become the strategy/trend from the start of file-sharing.
Sometimes 'piracy' is actually 'piracy' - but, truth of truths - almost every tune/album I downloaded (back in the day
), I had already paid for...by purchasing the original album legitimately, and most often - numerous times. And - quite regularly - because my (former) vehicle/s were equipped to play CDs better than MP3s (and such), I often purchased the CDs again - meaning after listening to the 'pirated' copies.

Again, though - why would a 'creative' industry be so lethargic in adjusting to market-change?
Guess the creative minds aren't given much say in the matter... ...unless - like Iron Maiden - they can afford to.

posted on Dec, 25 2013 @ 12:17 PM
link   
So, if you want Maiden to perform where you are then make sure you steal as much of their music as possible? Is that the way it works? Righty'o

posted on Dec, 25 2013 @ 12:50 PM
link   

benrl

seeker1963
reply to post by benrl

I certainly was not expecting what I read when I clicked on your thread Benryl!

Surprising and brilliant move by Maiden!

S&F, and Merry Christmas to you!

Its always nice to see a band embrace their fans not prosecute them like criminals *cough* Metallica *cough*

And to think, all these radio stations still play "mandatory metallica." Why? They haven't put out anything worth listening to since '92 Black album. Maybe if they'd stop whining about people not paying to listen to their crappy music, they might make some good music again.

I vote that radio stations start playing "Mandatory Maiden" instead.

posted on Dec, 25 2013 @ 01:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Klassified

That's totally true. We would just record onto cassette and drive around like that. We still bought the music and bands were still rich and concerts still sold out. Innovation is the key.

posted on Dec, 25 2013 @ 01:23 PM
link   

CretumOrbis
I've gladly paid more than $50 for a ticket to see Tool perform live, twice. That's more than the cost of all their albums combined. And I'd gladly pay that again, to hear songs I could listen to for free at any time.

The song can be copied. The experience of seeing it performed live can not.

I think it's the same with every group, from the Grateful Dead to ABBA, they always put different variations in their music or have a whole orchestra of backup singers.

posted on Dec, 25 2013 @ 05:25 PM
link   
I grew up listening to Maiden, and still listen to them today. Such a great band, probably the best heavy metal band ever other than Sabbath & old Metallica. Their music has so much history and emotion in it. I own their entire box set.

Paid for it though, and it was worth it. Here is one of my favorite songs. ~$heopleNation

edit on 25-12-2013 by SheopleNation because: Video Insert

posted on Dec, 25 2013 @ 06:22 PM
link   
So what you're saying is that if artists would get their butts out there and work every day, like everyone else in the world...they get profit? WOW, what a revelation...it sounds like pirating was actually a good thing. It keeps artists from spending one week in a singing booth, and spending the rest of the year ripping real people off, by the millions, while spending the rest of the time walking on red carpets boasting about how pretty they are. Meanwhile real, hard working people, who will really only want to hear one song on their album, get their hard earned cash PIRATED from them by musicians and the elites that finance them. Sounds like piracy is pushing artists in the right direction...real work = real pay. I have no pity on these musician's because they made it rich simply because the Elites backed them up financially, and financed them to corrupt a specific type of person, under their particular genre of music. They then literally rip everyone off with crap music like Lady Gag Gag and Britney Spears. Who both started out innocent (drawing in the uncorrupted youth) and then ended up with songs and videos glamourizing the Illuminati and being a slave to sex. To the young girls that idolized them....where do you think they ended up on the moral scale? In the same place as history has proven happens. Same thing with Miley Cyrus, Rhianna, and even the male artists. Pirates are a good thing for the economy if you ask me.....it has forced the rich and wealthy to have to get off their spoiled @sses and get a real job.
edit on 25-12-2013 by Illuminawty because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 25 2013 @ 06:25 PM
link   
Turn spying into ca$h

brilliant.

posted on Dec, 25 2013 @ 06:37 PM
link   

Treespeaker
reply to post by benrl

I think this is the best way to respond to piracy, give them what they really want, in contrast my brother met Metallica twice and told me what disrespectfull tool's they were to him and other fans...and thier anti piracy stance....I bet all of them boot legged thier favorite cassettes back in the day(we all did, mixed tapes was a culture too) so hogwash and bullcrapola.

That is exactly what I said when Metallica went on their bender. I wanted them to come out and say that during their garage days, they NEVER copied casset tapes to hear the music.

I used to be a huge Metallica fan, saw them in concert three times. But after the napster thing, never again.

Their last concert I saw was during their new phase. They actually ranted to the crowd about the crowd only wanting to hear the old tunes, when they had new music now. Maybe that is because your new stuff sucked. I lost respect for them after that concert.

posted on Dec, 25 2013 @ 06:39 PM
link   
Just wanted to say that, I'm sure Iron Maiden is going after pirates legally as well, just like other bands...the big difference is twofold. That isn't the only way they're going after them and they aren't alienating their fans...like Metallica did, for one example. There are ways to do things the right way, and Iron Maiden continue to prove that they realize this.

posted on Dec, 25 2013 @ 06:43 PM
link   
The Trooper! I was in the Army when this came out. I wore it out!

posted on Dec, 25 2013 @ 06:46 PM
link   
reply to post by benrl

Either the music industry scum bags will change or the will go extinct. They are greedy evil scum bags every last one of them. Artists need to manage and sell themselves. Why do you even need a manager or record label anymore. They are like cassette tapes in the early 90s. They are on the way out.
edit on 25-12-2013 by SubTruth because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join