It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Right-Wing Group Seeks Help Rewriting the Bible Because It's Not Conservative Enough

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 21 2013 @ 08:43 AM
link   
reply to post by Aleister

Which leaves only SEMANTICS - the age old "use of euphemisms". Any writer knows how to do that. "Don't use that word, it leaves things open to interpretation; use the word that EXACTLY expresses what YOU want to say."

Where did you find that info, Aleister? I couldn't find it from the original Conservapedia link.

posted on Dec, 21 2013 @ 08:46 AM
link   
reply to post by wildtimes

Hi, and good thread. Just check out the large template on the right of their page on the bible project, which then shows what they have written and have yet to write, and those links will take you to the books and verses:

www.conservapedia.com...

posted on Dec, 21 2013 @ 08:54 AM
link   
Over the time I have been on ATS I have come to realise that there are actually two Jesus’ approved of by Christians

There’s the sunshine lollipops and rainbows version found in the bible

And then there’s supply side Jesus

*warning* failure to workout which one you should be mentally blow kisses to on Sunday may cause an itching/burning sensation in the afterlife

posted on Dec, 21 2013 @ 08:58 AM
link   
Having read the article in question the following can be stated:

It is not ridicule that I would offer those who seek to do such, but rather pity as they missed the message that was given and ultimately it proves what I heard from a Buddhist lama. The Lama, did not go into the teachings of Buddha, but what religion is failing and how it is due to the degeneration of all who would follow any religious practice, how people fail to understand that with all that was taught and spoken of, of the message it has been boiled down to where people are taught to put their problems on a supreme being and take no responsibility. Yet fail to change their way of thinking, to take responsibility for their actions.

It is a sad state of affairs when people, like that, so narrow minded, so ignorant of the message that is most holy texts, would decide it is better to change what is written, to suit their world view, instead of changing their point of view. We should not make fun of them, but have pity on such and their children who will be taught the wrong lessons, that religion is no longer there to act as a comfort or even a blessing, but now as a weapon to justify bigotry and ignorance.

posted on Dec, 21 2013 @ 08:59 AM
link   

Thanks, found it!
Yeah, here's what they're pushing:

As of 2009, there is no fully conservative translation of the Bible which satisfies the following ten guidelines:[4]
Framework against Liberal Bias: providing a strong framework that enables a thought-for-thought translation without corruption by liberal bias. For example, the Living Bible translation has liberal evolutionary bias;[5] the widely used NIV translation has a pro-abortion bias.[6]

Not Emasculated: avoiding unisex, "gender inclusive" language, and other feminist distortions; preserve many references to the unborn child (the NIV deletes these)
Yup! Gotta keep those women where they belong! They are Wanton Harpies and Scum!

Not Dumbed Down: not dumbing down the reading level, or diluting the intellectual force and logic of Christianity[7]; the NIV is written at only the 7th grade level[8]
And 7th grade level is pretty standard for "lay texts". Another 'principle' used by writers. Not everyone is a philosopher, linguist, or erudite, articulate reader.

Utilize Terms which better capture original intent: using powerful new conservative terms to capture better the original intent;[9] Defective translations use the word "comrade" three times as often as "volunteer"; similarly, updating words that have a change in meaning, such as "word", "peace", and "miracle".

Combat Harmful Addiction: combating addiction[10] by using modern terms for it, such as "gamble" rather than "cast lots";[11] using modern political terms, such as "register" rather than "enroll" for the census

Accept the Logic of Hell: applying logic with its full force and effect, as in not denying or downplaying the very real existence of Hell or the Devil.
GHhhaaaa!!!! HELL is a MYTH!

Express Free Market Parables; explaining the numerous economic parables with their full free-market meaning
Yeah, don't give jobs OR food to the poor. Spit on the Scum!

Exclude Later-Inserted Inauthentic Passages: excluding the interpolated passages that liberals commonly put their own spin on, such as the adulteress story

Credit Open-Mindedness of Disciples: crediting open-mindedness, often found in youngsters like the eyewitnesses Mark and John, the authors of two of the Gospels

Pffft. Yeah, right. Make it very clear that "youngsters" can't know any better than to have open minds - so we need to make it clear that Mark and John were just, erm, gullible kids. We don't want OUR kids being gullible, so put in there that after Mark and John, NO OPEN-MINDEDNESS IS ALLOWED.

Prefer Conciseness over Liberal Wordiness: preferring conciseness to the liberal style of high word-to-substance ratio; avoid compound negatives and unnecessary ambiguities; prefer concise, consistent use of the word "Lord" rather than "Jehovah" or "Yahweh" or "Lord God."
Remember now, the readers are at best capable of 7th-grade comprehension, and definitely don't understand double negatives or "nuance". Only liberals have adequate vocabularies. (in the above, the "liberal style of high word-to-substance ratio" should read: Intelligent discourse and education. We don't need those types.) Better yet, just rewrite it, then post it online, and destroy/hack/take down/burn every other version BUT OURS. All of 'em.

edit on 12/21/13 by wildtimes because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 21 2013 @ 09:10 AM
link   
The willingness to cut whole passages out is what appals me most.

How would their translation cope with the fact that "casting lots" is offered as an approved procedure for decision-making?
(While "gambling" is not actually forbidden at any point in the Bible).

posted on Dec, 21 2013 @ 09:12 AM
link   
reply to post by sdcigarpig

We should not make fun of them, but have pity on such and their children who will be taught the wrong lessons, that religion is no longer there to act as a comfort or even a blessing, but now as a weapon to justify bigotry and ignorance.

You know, I didn't start the OP with the intention of "making fun of them", but the first few responses got that going - and I'd rather make fun of them than PITY them -
because if I can't laugh about it I'll be ANGRY, like I already am at the sick indoctrination they put on their kids NOW.

posted on Dec, 21 2013 @ 09:13 AM
link   
reply to post by DISRAELI

(While "gambling" is not actually forbidden at any point in the Bible).

Yeah, well, they're gonna make sure it DOES forbid it. Loud and clear. Probably with purple letters or something. Bold, larger font.

posted on Dec, 21 2013 @ 09:14 AM
link   
reply to post by wildtimes

The talk page of the article is informative as well, as Andy S. has to fend off some of his own members (the naysayers have since been banned) for wanting to take out Jesus' words on the cross "Forgive them father, for they know not what they do." Andy S. argues that liberals use those words, they weren't part of the original bible, and then I believe he holds his breath until he turns blue and stomps his feet.

posted on Dec, 21 2013 @ 09:21 AM
link   

The talk page of the article is informative as well, as Andy S. has to fend off some of his own members (the naysayers have since been banned)

Hmmm!

Yeah, I need to go read the comments to the article in the OP. Alernet's comments are pretty good, in general. IMO.

posted on Dec, 21 2013 @ 09:24 AM
link   
Probably just a bunch of ignorant posers, like the atheists who want to make joke Christian sights. If you actually respected God you wouldn't touch the Bible. Although I don't believe everything that is in it, I wouldn't touch it. It's not worth the bad karma.

posted on Dec, 21 2013 @ 09:28 AM
link   

“If this is going to be a Christian nation that doesn't help the poor,

either we have to pretend that Jesus was just as selfish as we are,

or we've got to acknowledge that He commanded us to love the poor and serve the needy without condition

and then admit that we just don't want to do it.”
-Stephen Tyrone Colbert

From the comments section.
I just love Colbert. He's a true jewel.

posted on Dec, 21 2013 @ 09:35 AM
link   
Altering the word of God is a sin. So I guess whoever signs on is a false Christian and a heretic. That's one way to draw them out.

edit on 21-12-2013 by AfterInfinity because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 21 2013 @ 09:46 AM
link   
wildtimes "Accept the Logic of Hell: applying logic with its full force and effect, as in not denying or downplaying the very real existence of Hell or the Devil. GHhhaaaa!!!! HELL is a MYTH!"

Laz: No, Hell is not a myth - it is an outright lie! A 404! There is no logic to it except for the desire of some to relegate most of humanity to a cosmic trash bin, just as they would like to do in this life. It's not much different from the homeless dying of cold in wealthy 'Merica. But...no rich Repugnican left behind. OK, end rant...

The whole thread puts me in mind of this:

If you see a blind man, kick him!
Why should you be kinder than God?
edit on 21-12-2013 by Lazarus Short because: lah-de-dah

edit on 21-12-2013 by Lazarus Short because: dum-de-dum

edit on 21-12-2013 by Lazarus Short because: jub-jub-jub

posted on Dec, 21 2013 @ 09:47 AM
link   

wildtimes

Right-Wing Group Seeks Help Rewriting the Bible Because It's Not Conservative Enough

The King James Bible and more recent translations are veritable primers of progressive agitprop, according to the founder of Conservapedia.

Whaaaaat?????!!!!

Um, before the hysterical leftist sobbing ensues... (a bit late, hm?)

This is just a project to translate the Bible from the original texts, correcting identified and obvious leftist warping.

Read more from the source, not a breathless leftist tantrum:

Conservative Bible Project

posted on Dec, 21 2013 @ 09:48 AM
link   

AfterInfinity
Altering the word of God is a sin. So I guess whoever signs on is a false Christian and a heretic. That's one way to draw them out.

edit on 21-12-2013 by AfterInfinity because: (no reason given)

Which is why it needs to be accurately translated from the original sources.

posted on Dec, 21 2013 @ 09:50 AM
link   

wildtimes

“If this is going to be a Christian nation that doesn't help the poor,

either we have to pretend that Jesus was just as selfish as we are,

or we've got to acknowledge that He commanded us to love the poor and serve the needy without condition

and then admit that we just don't want to do it.”
-Stephen Tyrone Colbert

From the comments section.
I just love Colbert. He's a true jewel.

Yeah, he's a clown who knows how to perpetuate leftist nonsense.

We have the richest poor in the history of humanity.

We have the most charitable populace in the world.

Who is not helping the poor?

It's time for an accurate translation from the original sources:

posted on Dec, 21 2013 @ 09:50 AM
link   
reply to post by TheWrightWing

OMG, Wright. Do you not realize that this entire thread is based on the ABSURDITY of that? Are you Schlafly?

It wouldn't surprise me one bit if you are one of the twist-it editors on this project. It's disgraceful - but certainly explains your capitalistic, selfish point of view.

SRSLY? You just made a post saying this is a "good thing"?!!!!!

:thumb down:

posted on Dec, 21 2013 @ 09:51 AM
link   
reply to post by Lazarus Short

Agreed, Laz. I originally wrote "LIE", but changed it to "MYTH." I'm with ya, bro.

posted on Dec, 21 2013 @ 09:53 AM
link   
reply to post by TheWrightWing

Um, before the hysterical leftist sobbing ensues... (a bit late, hm?)

Yeah, you're late to the party, and premature in your response to it.

It's more like "hysterical leftist LAUGHTER", and your invitation didn't come for a reason. But now you're here, so prepare to be shamefaced.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join