It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'Data brokers' worse than NSA spying

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 20 2013 @ 08:43 PM
link   
If your concerned about your privacy and above that it's security, look no further than the data brokers who have a sleuth of information about almost everyone. These companies acquire your information and sell it to whomever purchases it regardless of privacy concerns. These rogue entities sell your private personal likes and dislikes and reap tons of profits, even at the cost of very personal information.

On Wednesday, December 18, Pam Dixon, executive director of the World Privacy Forum testified before a Senate committee. She revealed disturbing lists that she has found for sale from data brokers you’ve likely never heard of. In her (pdf) testimony she describes how a company by the name of MEDbase200 was selling information ranging from rape victims to AIDS patients and a myriad of others.

Source

“There is no one comprehensive privacy law governing information collection and sale of consumer data by private sector companies and … existing privacy laws have ‘limited scope’ regarding the collection, use and sale of consumer data for marketing purposes,” the Committee report said.

The massive surveillance state we live in is enormous and ever growing. Hopefully they can reel these titans in an curtail their ability to collect and above all protect data, something it seems is of very little importance.

(Alternative source)

edit on 20-12-2013 by Daedal because: edit

posted on Dec, 20 2013 @ 08:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Daedal

Which are probably sold to some organization that is pushing another political agenda looking for donors or supporters which is going to lobby for some completely unrelated industry which is pushing some crap product but the need re/deregulation in congress for it to work. And so the cycle continues.

Marketing data is important, and is beneficial to the consumer. But sadly there is a line crossed somewhere where better business turns into complete and utter manipulation of people.

posted on Dec, 20 2013 @ 08:52 PM
link   
I agree, and also have the theory that our grand government is one of the culprits...with this new obummer HC, all of your data will be in a database, any power hungry asshat will have the firm ability to sell or trade millions of Americans information, worth untold levels as it has info NO one else has. If you think this info will stay safe in their system you are a fool. Cradle to current information to anyone with a bankroll. And there is the likelyhood of it being used against you..smoke, smoke weed, rec drugs, alcohol, there will be no limits....

posted on Dec, 20 2013 @ 09:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Daedal

I agree AND I did see her on one of the C-SPAN channels AND I was convinced that SHE FULLY BELIEVED the words coming from her mouth ... ( and/or I was impressed ).

To the Original-Poster: Star-n-Flag.

For What It Is Worth ... ( lately, I've been watching a lot of C-SPAN !!! and tryout StartPage.com )
edit on 20-12-2013 by FarleyWayne because: added ... StartPage.com

new topics

top topics

join