It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Latest Obamacare Commercial Features 1/2 Naked Gay Men Licking Candy Canes

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 21 2013 @ 02:10 PM
link   

tothetenthpower
Methinks healthcare is VERY important to the LGBT community, for the same reasons it is to everybody else.

~Tenth

I am sorry, do you still think that OBamacare/AHA is about healthcare/helping the people?... Really?...
edit on 21-12-2013 by ElectricUniverse because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 21 2013 @ 02:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Illuminawty

Well like anything else they sell it with sex.

Beer, cigarettes, tshirts, concert tickets.

It's modern advertising IMO. Sure it's distasteful and doesn't really do anything for them image wise, but that's not the community's fault as much as it is the people who lead them.

I'm a gay man who does not identify himself by his sexuality. IF more people did that in gay LGBT community, we'd be far better off.

Until then though, these sorts of things are going to be prevalent, because there is a huge culture that just now in the last decade felt it was OK to come out ( pun intended) and celebrate themselves.

Is it over the top? Yes.

Will it die down? Yes.

How long will that take?

Probably until Conservatives stop bitching about it.

~Tenth

posted on Dec, 21 2013 @ 03:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Asktheanimals

Asktheanimals
Would I want my grandchildren to watch this? (ages 2, 7 and 10)
Absolutely not.

It's not on TV. Do they visit the website?

posted on Dec, 21 2013 @ 03:35 PM
link   
Even though I may find this an odd tactic used to hype the ACA, this is really no different than the "sex sells" sort of advertising we see all over the tv/internet and such.

If this bothers people because of the sex angle, than they better dislike the hetero tactics as well.

If this bothers you because it features a "gay theme".......ahhh get over it.

posted on Dec, 21 2013 @ 03:41 PM
link   
reply to post by seeker1963

Great.

Now we (at least those of us who pay taxes) will all get to pay for the latest anti-HIV drugs for this group.

posted on Dec, 21 2013 @ 05:10 PM
link   

tothetenthpower
reply to post by xuenchen

Perhaps because the LGBT community hasn't had any kind of support from the Government since...forever?!

Look...there are plenty of people who don't like me. I am actually a very happy person who makes friends with most everyone. But there are still people who don't like me. I'm sure I've been fired or not hired for who I am and I know I've been in a few fights because people didn't like who I am. But it is who I am.

However...you don't see or hear me asking for support by the government. Why? Because I'm not "special". I'm a person who can take care of themselves and deal with the fact that not everyone will like or agree with me. That is part of life. Why can't you...or other people do so without needing support of the government?

The truth is...you want special treatment. Not equal treatment. You want to stick it in people's faces and dare them to frown. THAT is what you want...not equal or fair treatment.

posted on Dec, 21 2013 @ 05:15 PM
link   
reply to post by WeAreAWAKE

The truth is...you want special treatment. Not equal treatment. You want to stick it in people's faces and dare them to frown. THAT is what you want...not equal or fair treatment.

Accusational much?

What special treatment? What have the LGBT community asked for that would be considered 'special' treatment?

Why can't you...or other people do so without needing support of the government?

Because until VERY recently, LGBT were constantly marginalized, ridiculed and most important, discriminated against under the law. That's not the case more and more, state by state.

I would suggest that you keep your blanket statements regarding what "I" want to yourself though. It's a bit unbecoming to to suggest that you *know* what it is I want. Considering if you read any of my previous posts or threads on the issue of LGBT, you'd find I am often far more critical than supportive of them.

~Tenth

posted on Dec, 21 2013 @ 05:47 PM
link   
reply to post by seeker1963

If they ran this commercial for a retail store, or Fruit-of-the-Loom, or... Geeze pretty much anything else, I wouldn't have an issue. I don't like to see blatant sex being used to sell a government program, regardless of which sexual orientation is being represented. In that context,it is a cheap manipulation.

For me there is a big difference in what is at stake when selling underwear versus selling an unpopular, expensive, and counter-productive social program. Using sex to boost enrollment in a government program is condescending, pandering, and gauche; not to mention, the juxtaposition between context and content is just... well, it's just weird. I hope it is a parody, but I'm afraid that it isn't.

posted on Dec, 21 2013 @ 06:10 PM
link   
I think it's a parody. One of them looks like Obama.

If it's real well ok , it's cool they would make this video featuring cute gay men.
I don't think it's disgusting or offensive.

I don't really get what Obama care is about. Excuse my ignorance.
Not being american I can't understand your medical system. It's messed up is all I know. Seems people can never afford to go to a doctor or pay for expensive care like surgeries or cancer treatments etc. if this was a plan where you pay into it and receive this care at no extra cost then it would be good. I live in Canada and my medical is with the BC government and it's good. We pay a free each month and if you neeeded unexpected treatment it's all covered and well worth it in the long run. My most recent medical need was breaking my hip. So of course I received surgery then free Physio, then free home care upon release. The only cost was a $50 ambulance ride to get to ER. The ambulance rides to the next hospital and x rays were all covered

Is that how it would work ?

posted on Dec, 21 2013 @ 06:22 PM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower

It's pretty simple and hard for gay people to understand:
Seeing mostly naked gay men close together elicits a visceral reaction because they find it very unattractive and causes physical unease.
For many it's really not a choice.
It's a sympathetic physical reaction.

Others still can't change their response without changing their fundamental beliefs about religion.
Should they have to?

posted on Dec, 21 2013 @ 06:29 PM
link   

Seeing mostly naked gay men close together elicits a visceral reaction because they find it very unattractive and causes physical unease.

But that's true of many things. Where's the outrage over the "feed the children" commercials? Where's the outrage over beer commercials showing mostly half naked women?

It's a sympathetic physical reaction.

Right, but that doesn't make it OK does it? I was raised in a time where racism was prevalent, accepted and suggested. I still hold some of those thoughts unfortunately, as much as I disagree with them. So I have to make conscious effort to not allow those ideas and thoughts from my childhood to leak into my adult life.

If I'm expected to shelve my upbringing for the sake of society, aren't they expected to do the same?

Others still can't change their response without changing their fundamental beliefs about religion.
Should they have to?

It's not about having to change their beliefs, or even be accepting or happy with the commercial and it's contents. The faux outrage only enforces the idea that homophobia is real and pervasive and that partisan bickering often crosses into social issues where it doesn't apply.

~Tenth

posted on Dec, 21 2013 @ 06:34 PM
link   
Maybe the question that should be asked is this; " Historically, has the government used sex to sell any idea or product?" I don't care what the product or idea is, is this a new trend, and if so, why?

Me personally, I think the government should stay away from using sex to promote anything. It would in fact, be more professional, in my opinion.

posted on Dec, 21 2013 @ 06:59 PM
link   

Tenth, I think things were progressing fine BEFORE the government and media decided to weigh in.
Now politics and media are trying to draw lines in the sand. Remember the Canadian minister that said "you are with us or your with the pedophiles?" I was shocked how many stood up and said they were with the pedophiles but that is just the way people react when they are pushed against their will.

For you to say "too bad" those that are still struggling accepting this lifestyle is no different than those that don't accept the lifestyle saying "too bad" to those that claim there is not enough media and politics tilted towards them.

That is why I say it was fine before the politics and media. Those two don't have a clue how to progress with ANYTHING responsibly. It is all about YES-NO, HAVE-HAVE NOT, BLACK-WHITE.

Homo-Hetro relations were at an all time high before the media and politicians decided to push it on poeple for votes and ratings, or essentially PROFIT. They are not you friends and they don't care about your plight. They care about money, and if they thought they could make some from you crying in a corner due to lack of acceptance, they would do what ever they could to push you there.

posted on Dec, 21 2013 @ 07:08 PM
link   
reply to post by MALBOSIA

All of that is true I agree.

The media are the single greatest cause of division among people. But that's intentional.

posted on Dec, 21 2013 @ 07:13 PM
link   
I'm wondering why everything I see by the mainstream involves overt sex in relation to homosexuals.

I have had homosexual friends and acquaintances in the past and have never seen any of them exhibit this type of behavior. Nor any of my lesbian friends.

It's almost as if the media and political establishment felt they had to show a half naked guy licking something to get a homosexual to consider his health insurance needs.
It's either really insulting to the intelligence of homosexuals or it's designed to exhibit a drastic separation in homosexual behavior from the mainstream.

In my experience, most lesbians and homosexuals are everyday people with everyday attitudes and behavior.
If the "mainstream" wanted people to identify with homosexuals in any way I don't think they would play up the "in-your-face sex" so much.

Seems to me that this is just more formulaic and active division of society to keep us all against one another.

posted on Dec, 21 2013 @ 07:23 PM
link   

The problem isn't that they're gay
Its the lack of clothes and their behavior is silly, clichéd. and sexually suggestive.
Let's not compare this to racism, this has biological roots.
If you can be born gay
You can be born just as much not gay.

Just hate the commercial, not gay people.
Commercials like this smear them imo.

posted on Dec, 21 2013 @ 07:34 PM
link   

Commercials like this smear them imo.

I don't disagree, but I still think the outrage a lot of people are experiencing is more about ACA than it being a gay themed commercial.

~Tenth

posted on Dec, 21 2013 @ 07:43 PM
link   

NewAgeMan
Is this the way the LGBT community is to be viewed, and yes it does appear to promote promiscuity and risky sexual activity, with the implication being that everyone does everyone else.

I have nothing against gay people, but it's hard to believe that this is presented by the federal government of the United States.

unlike the 1000000000000000000000000000000 other commercial that have half naked women. Everything from Hamburgers to Website hosting has tits and ass. Damn straight perverts and their uncontrollable sex drive that lead to the phrase "sex sells".

posted on Dec, 21 2013 @ 08:00 PM
link   
4 decades ago, "Lewd and lascivious conduct" was a criminal act. Now it's on half the advertisements, 2/3 of the TV shows and movies---and includes both heterosexual and homosexual behavior.

Desensitization/condtioning. Destruction of Christian familes. Intentional on the parts of TPTB--- but where is it leading?

posted on Dec, 21 2013 @ 09:19 PM
link   
t will be interesting to see what the results will bring.

Because they are going to piss off lots of people with this one.
edit on 21-12-2013 by Realtruth because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join