It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Australian and US scientists reverse ageing in mice, humans could be next

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 21 2013 @ 03:41 AM
link   
reply to post by Soloprotocol

Yeah I probably shouldn't have told people exactly where to buy it and where to find the scientific proof that it works. Although the effectiveness of this enzyme, which I believe is the same one tested on the rats, has not been tested on humans - and it has not been tested, one concern is that it could possibly add to cancer risk.

Well then. Good investment opportunity -
edit on 21amSat, 21 Dec 2013 03:48:54 -0600kbamkAmerica/Chicago by darkbake because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 21 2013 @ 06:13 PM
link   

jaytay
only the very wealthy will be able to get this .

That's definitely true at the moment - NAD+ is heinously pricey. It's about 50 cents a milligram. Although I suppose that will change.

eta: if you buy a LOT of it, it's a little cheaper - 25 grams for $815. Still pretty harsh.
edit on 21-12-2013 by Bedlam because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 21 2013 @ 06:15 PM
link   

darkbake
Here guys: This is an empirical study done on researching the effect of a certain Eastern medicine, Shoushen Granule, on talomere length in rats, which found that there were regenerative effects.

That's "telomere", and it's not what the OP's article is about. The article in Cell is about giving the little critters NAD+ in their drinking water.

eta: drove into work and got the article. They're injecting them with NMN to produce NAD+ in the cell. NMN is still about the same price, though.
edit on 21-12-2013 by Bedlam because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 22 2013 @ 01:37 PM
link   
reply to post by leeda

I was telling my wife about this and she said "only the super rich will get to do this" and I thought about it and I totally disagree.

I think socialized nations like Australia, Norway, etc that don't have population problems and public healthcare will be pushing this on people. If you don't have a population problem and no old people draining your healthcare budget, it would actually be a boon on your economy. It's in the government's best interest (in socialized nations) for you to be healthy and productive as opposed to sick and dying.

I think it would only be harmful to nations that still have about 10 children per family and don't have any obligation to take care of their own sick people. Those nations would avoid this like the plague. Also, the US will totally avoid this, as well (unless we completely nationalize medicine by then).

Ever since I was a little kid getting visions and voices, I always had two death ages told to me; 33 and 400. Now since I didn't die at 33 (just had my 34th birthday), I'm thinking it means I'll live to 400 looking and feeling like a 33 year old. Yay science!

posted on Dec, 22 2013 @ 02:07 PM
link   

crazyewok
O we would have to stop pratting about and have a big push into space.

Exactly. It would force us into action. We'd have to find new solutions, invest and invent. It could be the biggest motivator for becoming a spacefaring civilization. Otherwise we might just rest on our laurels forever.

What people don't seem to realize is that indefinite lifespan will not only benefit the individual, but society as well. To me, the biggest perk is that it will put an end to the "after me the flood" mentality running rampant nowadays. People will stop being so short-sighted. They will care about the long-term consequences of their actions, because they will have to face those consequences. Their grandchildren's problems will suddenly become their problem as well.

IMO, this would be one of the biggest paradigm shifts in the history of humanity. We NEED this.

posted on Jan, 1 2014 @ 11:49 PM
link   
reply to post by ObservingYou

Actually there are a few different things which have been linked to this. The first, is that the human genome was manipulated over several generations, and certain chromosomes were altered. On the genetic level, supposedly our DNA once contained the "white stone", whereas now it has been replaced by a carbon molecule. Which, when you look at the longevity of biblical characters, from the beginning in Genesis, to around the time of Moses; their lifespans consistently get shorter as time goes on.
Another thing which I have heard, is that our ancestors were once allowed to partake in the mana, ambrosia, or philosopher stone rituals. Basically, according to legend, our ancestors were allowed to consume the "food of the gods", which would stop their aging, and give them eternal youth.

But, this is all speculation, and I suppose one will never really know.

posted on Jan, 2 2014 @ 02:21 AM
link   

Cathcart

HardCorps
the key phrase is feeling like a 20 year old...
it doesn't say returns said 60 year old to a physically fit 20 year old body it simply says feels like...

No, the article is quite clear about this. The treatment physically reversed muscle ageing. The mouses were healthier and musculary toned. However, they're talking about muscles here, not the whole body. At least not yet.

I'm not sure if it will lead to a complete reversal of the ageing process (i.e. immortality), but that's a definite possibility.

don't even get me started with this.

who wants a 20yo body with a 60yo demented mind, telling you to get off the lawn?

btw, get off my lawn.

posted on Jan, 3 2014 @ 05:33 PM
link   
Looking at this for a week or two, it gets more interesting by the paper. This is not the first bit of research on NMN supplementation, it's been going on for a couple of years. There's a LOT more to this than just muscle tissue rejuvenation. It's not 40K a day, either, but it's not cheap, and it's IV. I'm wondering how much and how often you actually need it to maintain the recovery, looking around for the info now, although I don't know if any studies along those lines are available.

Look at it this way - if you could get a shot once a quarter that would fix type II diabetes, fix insulin resistance, eliminate some types of cancer, give you back the wind and muscle strength you had as a 20 year old, eliminate ischemic strokes and reduce MIs, would you take it? I know I would. It might not fix my bunged up joints and achy old bone breaks, but that's ok.

PS - there's another IV med you can't readily get that cleans out your arteries like Drano, it's uncomfortable and takes about a month of daily drips but it reduces plaque 50-80%. It's pricey, too. If I get enough ahead, I'm going to get a flush job, but you're talking $10K per course.

posted on Jan, 3 2014 @ 05:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Bedlam

Consider this combined with what you've mentioned, plus:
Wolverine Healing Gene found.

We've still a way to go, but, as we discover more, we're close to realizing practical real sustainable immortality.

I give less than 20-30 years before we see some applications in the common market.

A new social philosophy of natural agers might emerge as a result; something like the amish, people who choose to age and die natural deaths.
That'll be interesting, as well as legal cases arising where relative attempt to force age reversal without consent on their aging/dying loved ones.

On a disturbing note; how do we deal with people in a future who could age regress to the point of looking even as young as a 12, 14, or any child age, where they then take advantage of that to exploit actual children?
50 year old creeper pedophile gets age regressed back to a child body so he/she could pretend to also be a child, and have easier access to children?

Makes one a little sick.

Further spookier applications come to mind where we could have super spy agents age regressed to child bodies where they could then infiltrate and collect data near anywhere without suspicion.

Right now, such is the stuff of Science Fiction, but, worth consideration in light of what could occur given future advancement and maturity of the technology.

edit on 1/3/2014 by AliceBleachWhite because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 3 2014 @ 08:11 PM
link   
reply to post by AliceBleachWhite

I'm pretty interested in this stuff. I need to go relook, at one time it seemed like you were going to be able to trick your mitochondria into reproducing without the cell dividing, then the older mitochondria committing suicide. Thus replacing the old, leaky mitochondria with new ones that don't emit ROS. I know they make new mitochondria by themselves, and I know they adjust their numbers when the cell is young, so there are signaling systems to trigger both mitochondrial death and reproduction in situ.

And actually, a nice toxin that would tell the target's mitochondria to die because there's too many in the cell would be sweet. But that's me.
I took a microbiology course about 5 years ago for the hell of it, pretty much every topic that came up, I had a question about how you could use it for BW. Eventually the prof asked me in class "Do you work for the government? You've got the damnedest way of looking at things." to which I had to reply "Uhh...not directly. Technically. "

But at any rate, I think it would be sweet to get a series of huge megadoses of synthetic HDL on steroids to rip out all the arterial deposits, which you CAN get, albeit pricey and hard to find, and you know, I can get that nicotinamide mononucleotide alpha that the study in the OP was using. So there's a dead rat and a string to swing it with, as Twain said, it's a matter of deciding to do it and getting the money together.

posted on Jan, 3 2014 @ 08:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Bedlam

As exciting as these developments are, I've still plenty time (barring accident or sudden genetic time bomb) before any age related infirmities start slowing me down enough such it becomes a bother.

I've a fair margin before 40, and a decade beyond that for 50, so, as far as clocks ticking go, I'm personally not all that pressed for self experimentation as I'd rather wait to see this technology mature and develop some.

I'd love to see a Magic Bullet complete system treatment, similar that little jellyfish that can Benjamin Button it's way back to a polyp and start over again, ping-ponging back and forth between aging and reverse aging, except I'd prefer where we can essentially pick a target age, regress to it, and maintain a sustainable apparent age of whatever one desires.

Even then, that's a 'temporary' solution to me, personally.

My preferred solution would detail a complete, omni-environment hardened, sustainable, full body synthetic replacement body.
Essentially, a body allowing me to walk on the moon naked if I desired, or anywhere else without any major environmental concern.
I'd love to live forever, as, well, the Universe is a big place, and I'd like to see as much of it as I can, technologies allowing, make contact with other peoples, live among them as one of them, move on and continue.

posted on Jan, 3 2014 @ 11:13 PM
link   
reply to post by AliceBleachWhite

I'm a lot closer. I'll be rolling over to the big 50 this year. I might give NMN a try "off label".

posted on Jan, 4 2014 @ 10:40 PM
link   

tsingtao
don't even get me started with this.

who wants a 20yo body with a 60yo demented mind, telling you to get off the lawn?

btw, get off my lawn.

There's no such thing as a 60yo mind. What about being young at heart? If indefinite lifespan becomes possible, the very first thing I'll do is to rediscover my inner child, and begin dancing through existence like in a cheesy musical film. I won't spend a minute being grumpy and cynical. If life isn't short, then there's no need to make it brutish.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join