It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Target Targeted: 40 Million Credit Cards Hacked

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 19 2013 @ 06:43 PM
link   

The nation's second-largest discounter acknowledged Thursday that data connected to about 40 million credit and debit card accounts was stolen as part of a breach that began over the Thanksgiving weekend.

The theft marks the second-largest credit card breach in U.S. history, exceeded only by a scam that began in 2005 involving retailer TJX Cos. and affected at least 45.7 million card users.

Target Targeted: 40 Million Credit Cards Hacked

Has anyone managed to hack cash yet, besides the Federal Reserve, I mean?

And at what point is the fact that the big banks are going to have to swallow this loss down hard, going to change either the way business is done, or the entire credit card industry itself? It's starting to look a lot like a revolution by hackers.

posted on Dec, 19 2013 @ 07:41 PM
link   
reply to post by signalfire

My sister in law shopped at Target and it happened to her. She used her debit card and she went to withdraw money from the ATM and she couldn't withdraw any because a hold had been put on her account. Turns out that someone had purchased two airline tickets to France and one ticket to Saudi Arabia.

At this point her bank has restored her account. Thank goodness.

posted on Dec, 19 2013 @ 08:07 PM
link   

Has anyone managed to hack cash yet, besides the Federal Reserve, I mean?

Cash was hacked over 2000 years ago, debasing currency happened back in the BC years. About 350 years ago fractional reserve banking was invented which is also a cash hack.

posted on Dec, 20 2013 @ 07:17 AM
link   
reply to post by signalfire

TBH I'm not surprised by this News. With all the Info we have online these days, it shouldn't be too hard for a Hacker to break into Accounts and steal our details! I'm surprised it hasn't happened to me yet.

posted on Dec, 20 2013 @ 08:45 AM
link   
Someone in upstate NY recently had their bank account hit after the Target scam by someone in Brooklyn, NY. Luckily, their bank caught the fraud before the transaction was approved.

I personally cancelled my card today and had them issue a new card with a new number. I wasn't going to until I read this story but I did shop there during the time period.

It is a huge pain for me to get a new card because I have monthly transactions and now I have to update all the vendors....but better safe than sorry. Target definitely should have had a more secure system in place.

Shopper Hit in Target Scam

new topics

top topics

join