It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tilt-Shift Effect Applied to Photographs of the Cosmos to Create a ‘Tiny Universe’

page: 1

join
share:
+2 more 
posted on Dec, 19 2013 @ 06:00 PM
link   
Hi All

Tilt shift lenses are used in photography when taking pictures of buildings etc to control converging verticals but can be used to create what is called the miniature effect often seen on tv now.

It can also be done using software.

Here you see it applied to Hubble Images.

Minature Universe Example

More here

Miniature Universe

What do you think.
edit on 19-12-2013 by wmd_2008 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 19 2013 @ 06:24 PM
link   
Personally, I find the overuse of tilt shift (and especially HDR) tiring. However, when done right they will blow you away. And the pictures in the links you provided did just that!

Thanks for sharing, going to see if I can find some bigger resolutions of these for my desktop.

posted on Dec, 19 2013 @ 06:28 PM
link   
reply to post by wmd_2008

I think it looks a lot like a close up of a sub atomic particle.....and one we are just beginning to understand.

I feel like I'm in that movie men in black when I think of this idea, the locker bit.

As above so below, so below as above........one great circle of creation/being. Such a magnificent thing.

Cheers to you, happy season.

posted on Dec, 19 2013 @ 08:15 PM
link   
Pretty pretty pretty . . . pretty sweet.

posted on Dec, 19 2013 @ 08:24 PM
link   

Here is a embed of one of the examples just in case other readers can not use the link for some reason:

Personally I think it creates some rather interesting and unusual images it a "Artsy" kind of way, making a 3D suggestion to the eyes, or imaginary depth in a 2D image.

However, I'm also used to looking at a entire frame in focus, so the parts that blur are bit of a distraction to me.

Still, I admit they are very beautiful looking images.

posted on Dec, 20 2013 @ 05:00 AM
link   

The tilt-shift effect is amazing, although it's a pretty much 'straight-forward' concept using circular motion blur while maintaining sharpness in the center. It's great to see that applied to telescope photography in such a different context ... makes for some great artwork!

My personal opinion, though, is that the effect is even more impressive in 'earthly' images because we can better 'relate' to the size of known objects, ultimately leading to that well-known modelling-effect.
edit on 20-12-2013 by jeep3r because: text

posted on Dec, 20 2013 @ 09:01 AM
link   
Now why didn't I think of that?

I have done a lot of tilt-shift both digital and analog.

Here is a favorite

edit on 20-12-2013 by abeverage because: of not thinking of that...

posted on Dec, 20 2013 @ 11:36 AM
link   

Awww,look at that 'lil cutie horsehead nebula...ain't she a little peach?
Tiny really at a size of approx 3.5 lightyears by 2.6 lightyears.

Excellent alternative way to view our beautiful universe-adds a 3d type quality to the images.
Thanks for the links mate!

posted on Dec, 20 2013 @ 03:46 PM
link   
It works well for the Horse's Head nebula, but not so much for pictures of galaxies and other nebulae. The blurred stuff at the bottom of the image needs to be closer to us than the blurred stuf at the top. I think a better way to create the illusion of depth is to establish the 3D placement of the background stars and galaxies, and blur them accordingly.

posted on Dec, 22 2013 @ 05:44 PM
link   
reply to post by eriktheawful

lol genius idea.

I just made these :

edit on 22-12-2013 by PhoenixOD because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 22 2013 @ 07:22 PM
link   
reply to post by PhoenixOD

Very nice pictures, and it still reminds me of dust or particles lit with a backlight, crazy.

Thanks for fiddling with it really cool.

posted on Dec, 22 2013 @ 07:46 PM
link   

Auricom
Personally, I find the overuse of tilt shift (and especially HDR) tiring. However, when done right they will blow you away. And the pictures in the links you provided did just that!

Thanks for sharing, going to see if I can find some bigger resolutions of these for my desktop.

Exactly! It's so easy to recreate tilt shift without the lens in photoshop that everyone uses it to get an 'artsy' look to their mediocre photos. Same deal with HDR.

Don't get me wrong though done properly this can look really good.

posted on Jul, 18 2015 @ 06:05 PM
link   
and some still think we are alone in the universe,
wow!!

posted on Jul, 18 2015 @ 06:24 PM
link   
a reply to: wmd_2008

Great photos...
thx for sharing

new topics

top topics

join