It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Brainwashing at a young age

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 20 2013 @ 08:22 PM
link   
The funny thing is that literal Christians are in fact turning people who think away from the bible and Jesus teachings instead of going deeper into what the text can describe.

But then in my view that is good since then they can get the message from another source that is not used as a preaching of judgement/dualistic view like Buddhism.

To understand Jesus is from my point of view to understand Buddha and to understand Buddha is to understand Jesus. One source that explains the same thing with different words.
edit on 20-12-2013 by LittleByLittle because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 20 2013 @ 08:36 PM
link   
reply to post by HUMBLEONE

Please, man, pleeeeeeeaassee. I feel you lol but seriously, this video does hurt my heart. I'm a firm Christian, born and raised but I refuse to believe the Earth was created 6000 years ago. I absolutely hate those type of Christians. They make the rest of us look ignorant and stupid.

Invisible man, Jewish zombie, ehhh you call em like you see em. I respect that, believe me. But hey, It's my religion. I love science with a passion, too. I'd be damned if this Earth isn't billions on top of billions of years old...

posted on Dec, 20 2013 @ 08:38 PM
link   

Zanti Misfit
reply to post by Jodash

Dogma Vs the Scientific Method ........... And the Winner Is ? ........

Depends. Are we talking about the Scientific Method where the observer effect is added or the Materialistic Scientific Method where we ignore everything that do not fit the old model? Replacing Religious dogma for scientific blindness do not seem to be so bright does it. Why not question everything and not ignore the answers even if we dislike the answers?

Who do you want to learn from what exists in reality? People like Richard Dawkins or people like Deepak Chopra? The size of the box they are examining is not the same size.

And yes saying that we know what happened when dinosaurs lived here is conditioning people to not question. It is still a theory that is very plausible but still not proven since all information is circumstantial and theoretical. It is like Platos cave. Somebody can have a lot of fun with making shadow figures with the light that we create stories to while watching the cave wall.
edit on 20-12-2013 by LittleByLittle because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 20 2013 @ 11:36 PM
link   
I find the assertion that we can find "facts" on the internet a little baseless considering every parcel of information is written from a biased point of view (that's our human nature at work). Not only that, but believing in scientific research is not unlike faith in the Bible. You pray that what you're reading is actually factual and not an exaggeration/falsification therein. We are humans, we are innately fallible and prone to believing what we want to believe.

The problem with the Bible is it was translated by Humans who meditate on their own understanding to come to a proper interpretation. Seeing as the Bible is purported to be the divine word of God; no man has any right to interpret for said God without proof of their own divinity given to them by said God. I believe in the word as it was written originally, not because I can prove its authenticity, but because the word itself speaks to my spirit. I'm not divine, nor am I righteous, but I do have faith. I do not, however, have any faith in mans preservation of the integrity of that word from whence it was written.

The problem with science is everything is a theory until proven factual, however as time persists and the collective mind expands, we discover our previous assertions were not entirely factual. Science is in the business of disproving itself; this is in fact a very good thing, but it also means you have to take all of that information with a grain of salt.

I've seen many dissertations on carbon dating, stating accurate and inaccurate claims. I didn't do the research myself so who's to say who's right? Personally I believe the earth to be older then 6000 years, not because of scientific proof, but because in my own mind, I reason out biblical knowledge and what we know of the fossils. Do I believe it's billions of years old? Probably not... Millions?... That sounds about right to me based on my own inductive reasoning.

As far as children being brought up "correctly"; this is such a subjective debate, because on one hand, you have the parents thinking they're doing "what's right" by the child and on the other hand you have those of us who know better... By know better, I simply mean more experienced (not to be confused with "smarter"). Yes, it's true some of us grow into our awareness and decide to ask the pivotal questions, but that's not the majority. To be perfectly honest, we are not responsible for others decisions. The wickedness of mankind is rooted deep in his flesh and there will be no peace as long as that curse exists. It is futile to debate or try to control the inclinations of Humans; we can only watch and govern ourselves as we see fit. For those who ask questions, we have answers... I believe that's the best we can do. The rest is rooting ourselves in our own beliefs, praying and prostrating ourselves before whom was, is, and will be forever.

posted on Dec, 21 2013 @ 11:04 AM
link   
reply to post by LittleByLittle

" Why not question everything and not ignore the answers even if we dislike the answers? "

Correct Answer .,.

posted on Dec, 21 2013 @ 02:51 PM
link   
It is pretty ridiculous, but I love when the Atheist crowd tries to put blame on "God", this fictitious character in their own minds, for the fallacies of Men
Anyone else see the irony here?
edit on 21-12-2013 by Konduit because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 21 2013 @ 03:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Konduit

The parents and religious figures are being blamed, how is that ironic?

posted on Dec, 21 2013 @ 03:03 PM
link   
reply to post by GetHyped

Read the posts on all the threads in this particular forum, and you'll see a trend soon enough. For the record I do not support or deny their belief system I just notice the trends. IMO the Atheist movement has been using this site as a mouthpiece for some time now.
edit on 21-12-2013 by Konduit because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 21 2013 @ 03:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Konduit

And the religious fundamentalists have been sitting on their hands? Are we reading the same forum here?

posted on Dec, 21 2013 @ 05:15 PM
link   
Been going on for thousands of years. This is what happens when you entrust your children to you others.
Besides, how can one believe anything that they haven't experienced themselves. Must be a tough learning curve.

posted on Dec, 21 2013 @ 05:15 PM
link   

edit on 21-12-2013 by joer4x4 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 22 2013 @ 01:22 AM
link   
reply to post by danielsil18

I find it more disgusting that you have not realized with your all-knowingness, that you cannot trust ANYTHING, you are hearing to be absolute truth.

And it is beyond funny not to realize that these religions are just a tool in a rather large kit that in this case, has an individual such as yourself all horrified at the terrible "HORRORS" of being told fairy tales and being all afraid of some terrible vengeful God.

Thus you feel better than them, and stop your questioning for at least a good while , and rather limit your indignation to this,

How can you actually believe, that the science you trust that changes its mind on a daily basis and makes all sorts of wild claims, is not in fact EXACTLY THE SAME brand of nonsense and misdirection you are screaming at. LOL!!!

And please do not give me the oh science can prove these things part....but get into the deeper side of science, you know, the parts that are NOT understood, the parts that religions are used to hide, ALSO.

posted on Dec, 23 2013 @ 07:48 AM
link   
reply to post by ParasuvO

Nah, you are mixing science and religion - only religion claims that has all answers and answer to all question is simple 'God'.

On the other hand, in science as we learn more and discover more, of course we will not hold on something that is proven wrong - if science and technology has improved of course we will upgrade our knowledge.

That is called progress and only funny thing is how religious folks are using that as something to make fun from, which is of course understandable, as when you hold your self in thin air, you try to grab every little straw possible...

As of OP, it is sad that parents are letting kids learn something very much proven wrong. But I guess, parents of those kids don't know better, just wonder when some of those kids decide to be scientist what kind of surprise they will run into....

Just as Dr. Tyson has said - higher education - less people believe in religion, and that just tells me something about parents of those kids.

And yes, they all seem to take Flintstones as documentary...

posted on Dec, 24 2013 @ 01:13 PM
link   
Indoctrination is one of the worst practices still going on today. They force kids to believe in religion X, at a young impressionable age and it stays with them their entire life, causing them to do the same with their children. Indoctrination should be considered child abuse as it is psychologically damaging. It's the only reason most religions are even still alive today. How can they blatantly teach kids lies? I honestly don't understand it, even if you believe its true, that's no excuse to deny certain fields of scientific study or pretend that your belief system is absolute fact. It makes me sick to my stomach that these pathetic dark ages practices still go on today. I'm just glad the amount of fundies is slowly dropping. It's kind of hard to deny science with all the resources out there. God is the adult version of santa clause. Somebody told you its true and you blindly believe it, hook line and sinker. Let the kids decide for themselves before shoving your primitive beliefs down their throats.

And I can see where indoctrination started. In the dark ages folks were tortured and executed for even hinting at questioning the bible. Parents were strict with their children because they didn't want that to one day happen to them. They didn't realize the psychological issues it creates, and it created generations of people who can't break the cycle and take it as literal 100% truth. Most people are not still like that, but they linger among a dying minority of theists.
edit on 24-12-2013 by Barcs because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 24 2013 @ 02:33 PM
link   
reply to post by ParasuvO

I don't believe in the Abrianic terrible vengeful God, so why would I be afraid of such nonsense.

It is true even in science that most of what we think we know is imprecise, even wrong to some degree, and that our present store of knowledge as a species is deficient of the sum total of knowledge required to understand the Universe.
We are ignorant.. we can only ever be ignorant, and all of the learning and science that has ever occurred or ever will, can only ever help us to be less ignorant about the nature of the Universe.

But, unlike religion science is about using objective, reproducible evidence to change beliefs based on which hypotheses are validated and which are falsified.

I will say it again..to change beliefs based on which hypotheses are validated and which are falsified!

Religion is about faith, which is specifically defined in the very dictionary as "belief not supported by evidence."

This is the case with all ideas that are not supported by evidence. They are quite simply no more likely to be true than any of the infinite random guesses the human mind can create. It is possible but unlikely in the extreme that an invisible unicorn flew out of my ass while you read this post. It is possible but unlikely in the extreme that there really are fairy's, and they simply hide whenever you or anyone else is in the woods.

This is why we need the scientific method, it serves the purpose of removing human biases. Humans are not objective, they're really easily fooled by simple things and they are capable of believing almost anything. In order to resolve what is fantasy from what is reality, science insists on evidence.
edit on fTuesday1333122f334202 by flyingfish because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 24 2013 @ 02:48 PM
link   

I'd rather be brainwashed then live in denial. However that isn't hardly the case for me.

posted on Dec, 26 2013 @ 06:35 AM
link   
reply to post by randyvs

Can you please explain what do you mean by denial?

posted on Dec, 26 2013 @ 10:42 AM
link   

I was brainwashed with this stuff by my parents when I was a kid. Whenever a nature documentary came on talking about evolution my Father either changed the channel or sat there and explained why those scientists were wrong. I was taught that there was a conspiracy dedicated to denying God in the scientific community and that the Biblical account was literally true.

This brainwashing can be very very strong as well, even after I had left Christianity behind it took me some time to work up the courage to actually give evolution a chance to prove itself. I wanted to believe the two ideas were equally inadequate at explaining life on Earth but the more you look into the evidence for evolution the more obvious its reality becomes.

But if I may play the devil's advocate I think the creationists are just doing what they believe is right in most cases. Sure some folks, like Ray Comfort, probably don't believe their own BS and are conning people out of money. But for most creationists they are just misled and/or self-deceived so they think they are telling their kid the truth.

posted on Dec, 26 2013 @ 10:56 AM
link   
When watching a good old cowboy and indian film who are the good guys and who are the bad guys??

If you put a child in front of a tv you are allowing your child to be brain washed - or programmed.

Beliefs and ideas are implanted by the system.

What is your childs brain being fed?

posted on Dec, 26 2013 @ 11:50 AM
link   
reply to post by SuperFrog

Denial as in defense mechanism.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join