It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scientist finds 1959 message in bottle showing the extent of glacial melt in remote Canada

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 19 2013 @ 10:29 AM
link   
Came across this on the dreaded foxnews.com, yes I check it most days to see what the idiots may have hidden in there that is valuable, and thought I would pass it along.

Inside the bottle was a 1959 letter from American geologist Paul Walker, recording the measurements of the glacier and asking whoever found the note to re-measure the distance and send him the information.

Mr Vincent says he instantly recognized the name of Walker, a famed geologist who died in his 20s after a medical emergency at the remote location in the same year the letter was written.

He said Walker and his colleague Albert Crary showed amazing foresight to leave the letter as a “message to the future”.

“Because in the 50s it was unthinkable this would melt”, said Mr Vincent.

Pretty clever.

“The changes are extraordinary, particularly in the last 10 years, and especially in the last years.”

Here is the link to the news article.

posted on Dec, 19 2013 @ 10:51 AM
link   
That's pretty cool! Unfortunate Mr. Walker will never get to see the results.

posted on Dec, 19 2013 @ 05:31 PM
link   
reply to post by solongandgoodnight

“This is the most remote part of North America, and the coldest coastal zone. This also makes the evidence of substantial glacial retreat of great interest,” he told Grind TV. The 1.2-meter gap between the cairn and glacier in 1959 has today widened to 101.5 meters as the glacier shrunk.

Wow!! Global warming much...that's a gap of 4 feet going to 333 feet in 54 years. Just wow!! I had read that arctic areas are warming faster than others but that's just amazing.

posted on Dec, 22 2013 @ 03:38 PM
link   
what a great find! and also depressing because of the melt. i'm pretty surprised that was posted on fox since they are pretty staunch climate change deniers.

new topics

top topics

join