It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

14.9mm SOP rifle

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 19 2013 @ 12:50 AM
link   
well there is a new big boy a brewing in the sniping business and with this new rifle business will be good from infantry to well tanks and perhaps even small pill boxes/bunkers with a muzzle velocity of 3,350 and 42,104 of energy(not a typo)pretty much what ever is in front of it will cease to exist or be taken out of action.
its based of the 20mm vulcan shell casing so that should give you hints as to its scale (for comparisons sake 12.7mm is roughly .50 cal) and they claim It has 0.5 MOA accuracy at 3000 yards and remains supersonic out to 5400 yards (5 kilometers)

heres a few links

lastinterestingnews.blogspot.com...

forum.snipershide.com...

www.thefirearmblog.com...

imgur.com..." target="_blank" class="postlink">imgur.com... this should be a photo of the rifle and round but not really good at this image imbedding......

and one last link on how some one is going to attept a world reccord shot with the rifle
forum.snipershide.com...

one shot will be at two miles and another at three so if he ends up pulling it off it should be interesting to any long range shooters out there with disposable income

edit on 19-12-2013 by RalagaNarHallas because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 19 2013 @ 02:15 AM
link   
holysnipe thats insane!

The upper is HUGE 0.o

That round is just outrageous, its basically artillery in the shoulder! Move over .50cal this is the new king in town and, i hope it comes with a shoulder resetting kit for all the dislocations coming lol

posted on Dec, 19 2013 @ 02:23 AM
link   
Wow, that thing looks insane. Would love to give one a whirl when they go into production.

posted on Dec, 19 2013 @ 02:33 AM
link   
I would hate to be the guy who had to carry that thing around... The .50 Barret would do me in for a day of humping it around; this thing you would need a pack mule ! Anyone know if they have stealth pack mules now?

posted on Dec, 19 2013 @ 02:44 AM
link   
The more a gun weighs the less recoil.

I will bet that this rifle has just about the same recoil as a Barrett .50 bmg.

www.youtube.com...

posted on Dec, 19 2013 @ 03:11 AM
link   
www.youtube.com...

video of test firing it note how they have it on a swinging platform i would assume to reduce recoil and the fact that they fired it remotely (ie no person behind the trigger) but at 105 pounds its no light weight (70 pound barrel.....48 inches long)

www.guns.com...

The 14.9 SOP is made by taking a purposely-made lathe-turned 1,690-grain .58 caliber bullet with a ballistics coefficient of 1.85 measuring at about 4 inches in length and loading it into a shortened and necked-down 20mm autocannon case. The custom dies have a two-inch diameter. At the muzzle, the 14.9 SOP generates over 42,000 foot-pounds of force. This project has been in development since late 2010 and has gone through several revisions, even in the name. Originally it was called the 14.5 OPS and has minor physical changes as well to maximize the projectile’s performance. Early speculations predicted rifles chambered in the caliber using recoil dampening stocks weighing just 30 pounds, but the current prototype weighs in at a clean 105 pounds. Project 14.9 SOP’s prototype is a single-shot bolt-action rifle with a 48-inch barrel and custom muzzle break that has been designed to withstand some 20,000 pounds of gas pressure once the bullet has left the barrel. It’s expressly overbuilt to stay on the safe side of firing this cartridge.
quite frankly i have never seen specs like that in what is appears to be a crew served sniper/anti material rifle i dont have the specs handy but i think it even out performs the .950 jdj(ironicly not a dd with apparent legit sporting purposes .....wonder how they pulled that off) and in my opinion is one of the more intimidating looking rounds i have seen

posted on Dec, 19 2013 @ 03:15 AM
link   
reply to post by 727Sky

well the sop weighs 105(protype) and the standard barret fifty weighs in at just under 30 pounds(the weight of the sop's stock lol) so yeah i would have to agree lugging this thing around would not be fun,but if you got into a good sniper spot overseeing an airfeild you could take a few out on the ground so to speak.but i see it more as a base defense weapon,something that you would only want to move once or twice.

but if carlos hathcock was still around i bet he would love it

www.thefirearmblog.com... pictures of the round next to other rounds

posted on Dec, 19 2013 @ 03:38 AM
link   

RalagaNarHallas
reply to post by 727Sky

well the sop weighs 105(protype) and the standard barret fifty weighs in at just under 30 pounds(the weight of the sop's stock lol) so yeah i would have to agree lugging this thing around would not be fun,but if you got into a good sniper spot overseeing an airfeild you could take a few out on the ground so to speak.but i see it more as a base defense weapon,something that you would only want to move once or twice.

but if carlos hathcock was still around i bet he would love it

www.thefirearmblog.com... pictures of the round next to other rounds

I am assuming the one in the middle is just the bullet, correct?
If so, Jesus....

I wonder what that would do to a plane or an armored vehicle. Can already imagine what it would do to a person.

posted on Dec, 19 2013 @ 04:25 AM
link   
reply to post by GR1ill3d

yes you are correct that is just the projectile(the large one) with out case

the diamater is in the same ball park as the 50-70 government cartridge(14.4) just just looking at images of the two its the grains (weight of the bullet) that seems to be the biggest difference between this and anything i can recall off the top of my head.

for the old video game nerds from the late 90's it reminds me of what i pictured the ghosts from star craft shooting.

en.wikipedia.org... anti tank round that seems somewhat comparable but that is for anti material/tank and anti aircraft guns and even it looks a bit tiny compared to the 14.9mm

www.thefirearmblog.com... link to the blog solely to answer your question on what they do to people.....there is an xray that claims to be of a man shot with a 14.5mm projectile and lived....

cartridgecollectors.org... picture and info of the high explosive round they took out of this guys head......
abcnews.go.com...

posted on Dec, 19 2013 @ 05:03 AM
link   
reply to post by RalagaNarHallas

like all previous " super sniper " rifles - this is a weapon with no really military purpose

posted on Dec, 19 2013 @ 05:56 AM
link   

I'm sorry, it's still not as impressive as this.

www.anzioironworks.com...

While the 14.9 SOP is built on a 20mm Vulcan casing the Anzio shoots a full 20mm Vulcan, not a "necked down" cartridge. Rifles like these do have a purpose and that's "Anti-Material".

posted on Dec, 19 2013 @ 09:42 AM
link   
reply to post by ignorant_ape

I think that is a matter for those members who have battlefield experience. However, I would say that the first thing I thought of when I saw this thread, and the weapon which it features, is how hilarious it would be to see an old naval battle, where all the cannon had been replaced with these things instead. I do not know why I went there, but I did!

posted on Dec, 19 2013 @ 10:50 AM
link   

.5 moa at 3000 yards? I wanna say bs but if that is true that is insanely impressive.

posted on Dec, 19 2013 @ 11:32 AM
link   
reply to post by crewsm

My eyes fell out!

As an Englishman in Germany,it's quite amusing to see that you guys across the pond can just buy a sniper rifle.

*wonders what he'll buy himself for Christmas*

I know!A 20mm suppressed sniper rifle!

Makes me wonder how a house-breaker-in would react after he levered open the door and saw this pointed at his nose?

posted on Dec, 19 2013 @ 12:59 PM
link   
Why not just dust off the L39 Lahti anti tank rifle....semi auto, 20mm 109 lbs (on mini skis....)
Approximately the same thing from 80 yrs ago for petes sake....don't these idiots even read history???#

posted on Dec, 19 2013 @ 02:46 PM
link   
reply to post by cosmicexplorer

its the claim they make for it so far as of yet they have yet to PROVE it but it is their goal,and there is a individual who is going to attempt a shot at two miles and another shot at 3 miles to prove accuracy but if it really stays supersonic at the ranges they claim this is a real reach out and touch some one kind of rifle

posted on Dec, 19 2013 @ 02:49 PM
link   
reply to post by crewsm

from your link, the barrel of the SOP is more then double the legenth of the anzio's and while the anzio is semi auto it seems to fall short of the claimed range and velocities of the SOP 14.9mm but that does look like a pretty fun boomstick to take to the range if your shoulder could take it

still not sure if the anzio shoots a heavier round (in weight mind you) then the SOP thank you for your link i had not even heard of such a thing existing

en.wikipedia.org... wiki on the anzio with specs below

At approximately 38,000 foot-pounds (51,521 J) of kinetic energy, the 20mm round, as fired out of the Anzio rifle, has over three times the power of the .50 BMG cartridge fired out of a comparable rifle, which is around 12,200 foot pounds (16,540 J) of kinetic energy. The .600 Nitro Express, the second most powerful African big game rifle cartridge, and one of the most common, has around 8,200 foot pounds (11,118 J) of kinetic energy. This makes a 20mm Anzio rifle about 4.8 times as powerful as a rifle chambered in .600 Nitro Express. The Anzio 20/50 has approximately 22,000 foot-pounds (29,828 J) of kinetic energy with an 800-grain bullet. It does this by effectively taking the .50 BMG projectile, which already is relatively large and travels extremely fast, and effectively increases the already supersonic bullet to over 1.8 times its normal flight velocity, creating more kinetic energy without the need for a larger and heavier projectile. Though its Kinetic energy is significantly lower than the 20mm round, it is almost as effective due to its smaller surface area, meaning that it has less material to punch through, making it easier to penetrate, but the lighter bullet makes transferring energy over longer distances and into targets less efficient.

from reading this i was incorrect with my stats on the anzios barrel length but i am pretty sure the SOP shoots a heavier more destructive round at higher velocities

posted on Dec, 19 2013 @ 02:53 PM
link   
reply to post by ignorant_ape

eh like i said earlier i see this more as a base defense weapon or something that is placed on establised fortifications.so i will agree you wont see to many people humping this thing around on the battle field but i can see the navy using it for anti piracy work (imagine that hitting a dhow or other small crafts engine..... and mobility would be far less of an issue for the navy then say the army.

and if you WERE lucky enough(or foolish enough) to lug one near an enemy air base you could in theory take out hinds,light and medium aircraft of vital componets of expensive jet aircraft

something about using a 10$ round to take out a multi million dollar jet engine appeals to me some how but as i have never been active/reserve military i think our servce members on ats would be able to shed more light on what it would be used for realistically

posted on Dec, 27 2013 @ 12:38 PM
link   
Tanks? seriously doubt it.

RalagaNarHallas
well there is a new big boy a brewing in the sniping business and with this new rifle business will be good from infantry to well tanks and perhaps even small pill boxes/bunkers with a muzzle velocity of 3,350 and 42,104 of energy(not a typo)pretty much what ever is in front of it will cease to exist or be taken out of action.
its based of the 20mm vulcan shell casing so that should give you hints as to its scale (for comparisons sake 12.7mm is roughly .50 cal) and they claim It has 0.5 MOA accuracy at 3000 yards and remains supersonic out to 5400 yards (5 kilometers)

heres a few links

lastinterestingnews.blogspot.com...

forum.snipershide.com...

www.thefirearmblog.com...

imgur.com..." target="_blank" class="postlink">imgur.com... this should be a photo of the rifle and round but not really good at this image imbedding......

and one last link on how some one is going to attept a world reccord shot with the rifle
forum.snipershide.com...

one shot will be at two miles and another at three so if he ends up pulling it off it should be interesting to any long range shooters out there with disposable income

posted on Mar, 28 2014 @ 12:14 PM
link   

cosmicexplorer

.5 moa at 3000 yards? I wanna say bs but if that is true that is insanely impressive.

.5 MOA does not mean it has half inch accuracy at 3000yrds at that range the accuracy would be about 15inches.
edit on 28-3-2014 by BigDave-AR because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2 >>

join