It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

My Experience at Salvation Army, Volunteer Work

page: 1

join
share:
+10 more 
posted on Dec, 18 2013 @ 08:01 PM
link   
It really feels good to help people that live around our communities.

I've participated in volunteer work since 2007. Off and on when I have time between jobs, days off. It really has uplifted my heart a bit, since I've been brought down on some set-backs. Helping others makes a big difference in how I feel about my path as a man, and the duties of our environment. The action(s) of one person doesn't seem like much help, but with all the other's that give their time to be self-less and volunteer. I applaud you! Your work is never unnoticed.

I was shocked to see what the store that I donated to how much they actually do for the less fortunate, crazy, and down-on-their-luck. I had a smile on my face all day. Massive amount of local donations of food, toys (My God, it was like the toy section a Wal-Mart) ,clothes. To add, several times I saw that some good things was given to the
the locals known for needing assistance, all for free. People, many in our community just need a welcome to help, assistance, some care.
Some do, some don't.

It made my week, I feel much better about myself by helping locals when they need it.

Just Saying...

I felt it would be good to share something happy instead of doom.

Happy Holidays All

posted on Dec, 18 2013 @ 09:57 PM
link   
reply to post by AK907ICECOLD

Merry Christmas
edit on 12/18/2013 by Restricted because: f'ing smartphone

posted on Dec, 18 2013 @ 11:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Restricted

Merry Christmas to you as well!

posted on Dec, 19 2013 @ 08:42 AM
link   
I participated in our department's yearly "shop with a cop" last night. It is a program where we gather donations to purchase toys for less then fortunate kids. We actually let them go into the store and pick out what they want.

It is a really good time. The smiles on their faces really warm your heart.

The parents really enjoy it too. It is nice to be able to take a little bit of the financial burden that comes along with Christmas off of their backs.

One kid last night who was 13 really stood out to me. The entire time he was kind of looking down. I asked him what was wrong and he told me that he though that he didn't deserve the money.

After explaining to him that he did, he offered to buy me something which completely melted my heart. When I told him that I wasn't allowed he became sad. That of course caused me to feel a little bummed.

That is when I suggested he buy a pack of gum with his remaining change so we could share. He got really excited and by chance actually picked out my favorite flavor of Trident!

He was very grateful and asked if I could be the cop he shops with next year if he is picked again.

What a great, humbling experience.

Volunteer work is good for the soul.
edit on 19-12-2013 by TorqueyThePig because: (no reason given)

edit on 19-12-2013 by TorqueyThePig because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 19 2013 @ 12:28 PM
link   
reply to post by TorqueyThePig

Well, I'm glad to hear your story.

A lot of adults and children have a lack of confidence and conviction because of conditioning on many levels.
I know this because I have had to endure these feelings all my life. I had a difficultly as well accepting gift or gratuities for others. Most my life I don't get people going out of their way to help me, but the ones that do, I can still remember from years ago and will never forget them. We can make a difference.

"Be the change you want to see in the world." Dalai lama

Happy Holidays Friend!

top topics

join