It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Duck Dynasty's Phil Robertson: The Latest Victim of the PC Police

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 18 2013 @ 08:10 PM
link   
reply to post by intrepid

I am sure that they have fans and supporters from all walks of life. That is irrelevant.

I am specifically referring to the religious who may or may not have been fans prior to this. This has drawn the attention of people who normally wouldn't have paid the show much attention (referencing only the religious that fall into this category), along with fans to rally around the show. It was an attempt and most likely a successful one to increase ratings.

Sure, it may have increased the support of people who don't fall into that specific category as well, but my comment was not about them.
edit on 18-12-2013 by calstorm because: (no reason given)

edit on 18-12-2013 by calstorm because: (no reason given)

+3 more 
posted on Dec, 18 2013 @ 08:16 PM
link   
A&E tried pushing him to quit doing that prayer at the end of every show and they ALL said they'd quit doing the show before they'd quit praying. I'm sure they make enough money without having to do the show at all.

posted on Dec, 18 2013 @ 08:16 PM
link   
You are not free to express that opinion or say that you believe/support in the traditional family these days. I believe that both Chick-fil-A and the Barilla pasta company found that out.

Heck, New Jersey just pulled their gay marriage law because it didn't go far enough in forcing businesses and institutions to comply with gay rights. They want provisions in the bill that will force religious institutions to recognize gay unions, and since the bill doesn't have it, the sponsor pulled it until those provisions can be written in.

That gives you an idea as to how much freedom certain people think you should have to express this kind of opinion.
edit on 18-12-2013 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

+17 more 
posted on Dec, 18 2013 @ 08:18 PM
link   
He gave his opinion without targeting anyone specifically. It is his honest belief. Why does he need to be punished for speaking his opinion in the US? When did we start penalizing personal beliefs?

I think homosexuality is gross (I am not religious), but it doesn't affect how I treat other people. I also find lots of other behaviors offensive, such as drug use, prostitution etc. Just because a behavior is offensive doesn't mean we treat our fellow human beings with disrespect.

edit on 2013/12/18 by Metallicus because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 18 2013 @ 08:18 PM
link   
I believe in freedom of speech, it is protected here in the U.S. , the problem is when stars or anyone perceived as such says what others might be thinking it becomes the poster child for bad behavior if that belief is controversial and then they get shouted down by those who disagree.

Agree or disagree, people saying what they want when they want is great but I bet there are certain things some people are quite comfortable saying, but they will only do it with a camera in their face, on the internet or in private surrounded by peers.

I for one though always say people that are outspoken about certain things and always talk about it or feel the need to constantly preach their convictions to the world are possibly secretively engaging (hypocrites) in that very behavior behind closed doors (and this has been proven time and time again) , not saying this guy is, but he doth protest a little too much than needed to get his point across then he starts injecting and selling us religious dogma along with it.

edit on 18-12-2013 by phinubian because: (no reason given)

+6 more 
posted on Dec, 18 2013 @ 08:30 PM
link   
reply to post by phinubian

He was being interviewed. He was asked a question. Another thing most Christians believe is that you should not lie.

It's also a pretty flimsy argument to make to say that if someone speaks out against something they must secretly be indulging in it. By that logic, nearly the entire world is comprised of closet cannibal necrophiliac pedophiles and you just might be a true conservative ...

+4 more 
posted on Dec, 18 2013 @ 08:32 PM
link   
It seems that free speech is free only so long as it's not offensive.

Odd...I seem to have missed that footnote for the 1st Amendment. So did the Supreme Court in cases like Skokie and others... The ACLU has accumulated quite a list of cases fighting for offensive speech of some of the worst kinds and the right to express it...and they have a good point if only on the basis that restriction to any is harm done to all.

Funny how all that principle and high road thinking to freedom of expression vanishes like smoke in the breeze ...when the speech is offensive to the wrong folk in the wrong way.

posted on Dec, 18 2013 @ 08:38 PM
link   
reply to post by ketsuko

Sure, but again, this logic has tangible proof throughout history sir and you hear of these types of things frequently, only when someone is caught do they come to light, anyhow I do not introduce anything that is not already known.
Thanks for your attempt to in any way to try to decrease the potency of that part of my reply, go do some research and you find plenty on moral hypocrisy and inconsistency, it is a great part of human nature, but again I said I am not saying that the gentleman is guilty of that.

edit on 18-12-2013 by phinubian because: (no reason given)

+7 more 
posted on Dec, 18 2013 @ 08:41 PM
link   
reply to post by burdman30ott6

You know, I wrote a whole post, took me a hour and I was gonna rip you a new one.

Then I went and re-read the original story and it turns out you are completely right.

He never made the comparison, he simply answered the question, what do you consider Sin.

And he included homosexuality then referenced the bestiality.

Another example of the media run afoul.

~Tenth

posted on Dec, 18 2013 @ 08:45 PM
link   
Notice how he says "homosexual offenders" instead of just homosexuals. He is not saying that being homosexual is a sin, but the act of sodomy between two men is sin because it goes against God's natural order and turns something sacred, the creation of a human soul, into something simply for pleasure. The LGBT community today accuses Christians of being anti-gay and saying that simply being sexually attracted to a member of the same gender is a sin, when in fact the only thing that Christians are saying is a sin is the actual act of sharing a physical relationship with a member of the same gender. It's a tough cross to bear for gays for sure, but it used to be easier before the sexual revolution of the past century.
edit on 18-12-2013 by pauladaballa777 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 18 2013 @ 08:49 PM
link   

While fox carried the main story the article came from GQ and it is not as bad as A&E made it out to be.

He didn't say anything that degraded any person he made a general statement. It wasn't tasteful but that is Phil, but it wasn't offensive to anyone it was a simple opinion more than anything.

GQ Article

Here is an edited quote just in case of any possible T&C violation

“It seems like, to me, a vag**a—as a man—would be more desirable than a man’s a*us. That’s just me. I’m just thinking: There’s more there! She’s got more to offer. I mean, come on, dudes! You know what I’m saying? But hey, sin: It’s not logical, my man. It’s just not logical.” Read More www.gq.com...

That is the whole quote and A&E puts him on indefinite leave of absence because they are the champions of the GLBT crowd, a 7% of society crowd mind you that probably don't even watch Duck Dynasty anyway.

In my opinion A&E made a big mistake. And if I was the Robertson's I would be looking at suing the heck out of them for violating his right to freedom of speech. After all Why should A&E have a right to punish him for his opinion, it is his right and he caused no one any harm and did not say anything derogatory about Gay's. GQ caused the harm in publishing what he said and maybe they shouldn't have. I would be looking at them too.

When it comes to your opinions I guess you are no longer allowed to express them unless specifically asked and even then watch out for the opinion nazi's ready to pounce

posted on Dec, 18 2013 @ 08:59 PM
link   

Wrabbit2000
It seems that free speech is free only so long as it's not offensive.

Welcome to the new Amerika........ sad isn't it.

Just watched a episode of Tosh.0 where he mocked Black History Month and Blacks in General....but he did it in a "fun" way. It was rather uncomfortable to watch, but he gets a pass because he is a comedian. No outrage over that.

Double standards abound.

posted on Dec, 18 2013 @ 09:01 PM
link   

Restricted

LDragonFire

Phil should try a slice of humble pie. As it is written, There is none righteous, no, not one

Don't get all Biblical on us.

I doubt dragonbreath could quote any bible more than he needs to bash a Christian with.

posted on Dec, 18 2013 @ 09:03 PM
link   
Never watched it never cared. Cared even less when I found out they were Holy Rollers. There are so many other things to give a crap about....

posted on Dec, 18 2013 @ 09:06 PM
link   
I think it's amusing that A&E goes out and finds some backward ass hillbillies (albeit rich hillbillies) and then get upset when they act like backward ass hillbillies. What did you expect guys? Do you really think the guy eating squirrel brains is going to be the pinnacle of political correctness? I'm all for gay rights and whatnot but I'm also anti BS. I think it's regrettable that so many people share dude's sentiments, but I also respect free speech and allowing people to express their opinions (so long as they aren't advocating violence) without punishing them.

I don't think the people that would be pissed about the comments made were watching the show anyway. A&E should have made a statement condoning the language and left it alone. Or just left it alone. I highly doubt someone is going to boycott WalMart or whoever advertises during that slot because they are loosely affiliated with a bigot.

posted on Dec, 18 2013 @ 09:07 PM
link   
I have been reading comments on other forums, you can only push people so far, they will only tolerate so much, before it backfires.

posted on Dec, 18 2013 @ 09:07 PM
link   
It's not about free speech, opinions, or homosexuality. As always it's about money. One of the sponsors got pissed off at his comment and threatened to pull their spots. Producers only care about one thing....

These scripted "reality" shows are cheap to produce, because they can be edited on the fly with a tricaster, use questionable "talent", use readily available locations and use minimal crew. Min. outlay, Max return and the producers have their pick of these dumbass shows. Pitch fests are full of this crap. I work on these abominations all the time as crew.

fadeinonline.com...
edit on 18-12-2013 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 18 2013 @ 09:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Domo1

They are not idiots, he is college educated, his sons as well.

posted on Dec, 18 2013 @ 09:09 PM
link   
A&E said, "We are extremely disappointed to have read Phil Robertson’s comments in GQ, which are based on his own personal beliefs and are not reflected in the series Duck Dynasty,"
So if his own personal beliefs are not reflected on the show and he has been on there since the beginning....why did they suspend him?

posted on Dec, 18 2013 @ 09:13 PM
link   
reply to post by pavil

Imagine something like Archie Bunker these days.... That would bring down people to the Studio Executive level in a P.C. deck clearing of firings and resignations before the outrage settled, I'll bet ya.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join