It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

$19 Million Grant Could Lead to First-Ever Image of Black Hole

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 18 2013 @ 04:55 PM
link   
"The European Research Council has given 14 million euros (about $19.3 million at current exchange rates) to the team behind BlackHoleCam. This project aims to peer at the supermassive black hole at the core of our Milky Way galaxy and image its event horizon — the theorized boundary beyond which nothing, not even light, can escape."

BlackHoleCam? What will they think of next? Anyway, I thought this might interest my fellow information hungry ATSers out there. What do you all think about this? I think this may be important info. Maybe we'll discover that Black Holes are more common than thought and learn some of their( black hole's) secrets.

What say you, ATS?

www.space.com...

posted on Dec, 18 2013 @ 05:03 PM
link   
Any idea how they will take a picture of something which no light escapes from?

posted on Dec, 18 2013 @ 05:11 PM
link   
reply to post by lostbook

Wasn't this already done by Seymour Butts at Vivid Studies?

DeepVisions

"The technology is now advanced enough that we can actually image black holes and check if they truly exist as predicted: If there is no event horizon, there are no black holes," Falcke added.

BlackHoleCam will use a technique called Very Long Baseline Interferometry (VLBI) to study the Milky Way's central black hole, which is about 4 million times more massive than the sun. In VLBI, multiple radiotelescopes around the world focus on an object, and a supercomputer then synthesizes and integrates their various observations. This method can, in effect, create a virtual telescope the size of the entire Earth.

edit on 18-12-2013 by boncho because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 18 2013 @ 05:18 PM
link   

DeepVisions

Because a black hole that is eating superheats material falling into it. That's how we know they exist at all.

And contrary to the media headline (seriously the media gets a lot of science headlines way wrong these days) we already have pictures of black holes.

What we do not have is a picture of the supermassive black hole in the center of our galaxy.

posted on Dec, 18 2013 @ 05:20 PM
link   
reply to post by DeepVisions

It says this in the article for how they will detect a black hole:

"BlackHoleCam won't be able to image the black hole itself, but researchers think they can get a look at the event horizon, a feature predicted by Einstein's theory of general relativity.

Gas sucked in by black holes' immense gravitational pull produces strong radio emissions before it disappears. The event horizon should betray its presence by casting a dark shadow on those bright emissions, researchers said."

So, they won't actually see it but they will know it's there from radio emissions around the Event Horizon.

posted on Dec, 18 2013 @ 05:20 PM
link   

It says this in the article for how they will detect a black hole:

"BlackHoleCam won't be able to image the black hole itself, but researchers think they can get a look at the event horizon, a feature predicted by Einstein's theory of general relativity.

Gas sucked in by black holes' immense gravitational pull produces strong radio emissions before it disappears. The event horizon should betray its presence by casting a dark shadow on those bright emissions, researchers said."

So, they won't actually see it but they will know it's there from radio emissions around the Event Horizon.

posted on Dec, 18 2013 @ 05:21 PM
link   

Sorry.. Couldnt help it

edit on 18-12-2013 by toocoolnc because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 18 2013 @ 05:36 PM
link   

toocoolnc

Sorry.. Couldnt help it

edit on 18-12-2013 by toocoolnc because: (no reason given)

LOL!

posted on Dec, 18 2013 @ 05:38 PM
link   
reply to post by boncho

Ok I think I understand now. It's an indirect observation of the black hole through radio emissions of the event horizon.

It seems as if the results could be very important to further understand how the universe works.
I wonder what would happen if they found out black holes don't exist?

edit on 18-12-2013 by DeepVisions because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 18 2013 @ 05:41 PM
link   

DeepVisions

Thank you.

posted on Dec, 18 2013 @ 05:42 PM
link   
reply to post by JadeStar

Lol it could be argues that there is really no picture of a black hole because of their nature, what we have is images of their effect on the space/time around them... My main interest in black holes is their time effect, I wonder if it can be clued out by what we see near the event horizon as it should slow the speed of light that still manages to escape (to the point it does not)...

posted on Dec, 18 2013 @ 05:59 PM
link   

JadeStar

DeepVisions

Because a black hole that is eating superheats material falling into it. That's how we know they exist at all.

And contrary to the media headline (seriously the media gets a lot of science headlines way wrong these days) we already have pictures of black holes.

What we do not have is a picture of the supermassive black hole in the center of our galaxy.
the media gets a lot of science headlines wrong?i think you,ll find the science community get a lot of things wrong.
last few years i,ve saw this is surprising us,this shoudn,t be possible. as i,ve said scientists don,t even know whats going on,its guess work until its proved as fact.
edit on 2013 by sparky31 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 18 2013 @ 06:21 PM
link   
Why do I want to see a black hole?

To give 19 million to view something we all know exist seems ridiculous to me.

Lets get our priorities in order, give 19 million to find a cure for juvenile diabetes or cancer.

posted on Dec, 18 2013 @ 06:32 PM
link   

hoss53

Lets get our priorities in order, give 19 million to find a cure for juvenile diabetes or cancer.

The data they gather isn't for you. It's for scientist.

We don't know if it actually exists there or not. There is strong supporting evidence, but no direct observation yet.

If you have an issue with how the money is being spent, then here is what you do:

Here is the website of the people that gave the money: European Research Council

Here is their mailing address:

European Commission
ERC Executive Agency
COV2 [Office nr]
BE-1049 Brussels

Write them a strong letter of protest that you feel they have their priorities wrong.

posted on Dec, 18 2013 @ 06:37 PM
link   

JadeStar

Well, that would definitely be worth $19 million!

posted on Dec, 18 2013 @ 06:38 PM
link   

hoss53

Only you can answer that question.

Nobody knows for 100% certain that they exist.

Whose priorities are you referring to? There is already billions being put into researching these diseases so what is your problem with money being used elsewhere?

posted on Dec, 18 2013 @ 06:48 PM
link   

hoss53

That won't help. Just a drop in the bucket.

Besides, we need more diseases, not fewer. It's not like we need more human beings. It's not like we're an endangered species or anything.

posted on Dec, 18 2013 @ 07:16 PM
link   

sparky31

JadeStar

DeepVisions

the media gets a lot of science headlines wrong?i think you,ll find the science community get a lot of things wrong.
last few years i,ve saw this is surprising us,this shoudn,t be possible. as i,ve said scientists don,t even know whats going on,its guess work until its proved as fact.
edit on 2013 by sparky31 because: (no reason given)

Science is a process, not an institution.

posted on Dec, 18 2013 @ 07:21 PM
link   

Panic2k11
reply to post by JadeStar

Lol it could be argues that there is really no picture of a black hole because of their nature, what we have is images of their effect on the space/time around them... My main interest in black holes is their time effect, I wonder if it can be clued out by what we see near the event horizon as it should slow the speed of light that still manages to escape (to the point it does not)...

I agree. But it really is arguing semantics. Seeing stuff falling into some black spot is virtually the same as seeing the black spot.

I too am interested in relativistic effects on space/time near a black hole. It not my favorite thing to study but they are interesting.

A radio image of our galaxy's supermassive black hole could tell us a lot about how galaxies form and evolve as well as a lot about our own galaxy's evolution.

posted on Dec, 19 2013 @ 09:12 AM
link   

Lol.
So basically its theft.
A bit like pensions
Pmsl and who was it that granted them the funding?

Its not a telescope they need to watch the heavens.
Its a microscope to look at what's wrong here first.
They think we are welcome ha ha.
Have they ever considered the universe is teaming with life but they are hiding from the occupants on Earth. Lol

top topics

join