It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The High Cost of Razors

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 18 2013 @ 04:26 PM
link   
We saw those supposed 1 percenters Occupy Wall Street and other locals over supposed Big Banking atrocities but not one would think of occupying Palmolive, Gillette, or a numerous other multi-national corporations that gouge the heck out of MEN around the world with their overpriced razor blade replacement cartridges.

You all know what I am talking about. You got to shave so they figure it is like being hooked on cigarettes, you need it so pump up the price. All the while ALL these blades are manufactured in China at the cheapest cost possible then redistributed around the world at 6 times it's value.

These companies are pretty inventive too. Every time they come out with a new shaver they send it out free in your mail box but when you go to the store to buy replacement cartridges you are socked in the eye with the 5 piece box costing a stunning $35 price tag.

I liken it to shaver knockout game.

I don't think this is what free enterprise was to look like. this is just out and out greed on the part of these multinational companies.

When will this type of cost and demand gouging stop?

Unfortunately never. Maybe we should all run around and look like a bunch of "Duck Dynasty" Dudes.

edit on 18-12-2013 by ChesterJohn because: Suggested to change title

posted on Dec, 18 2013 @ 04:33 PM
link   
reply to post by ChesterJohn

This is a legitimate rant! Pisses me off to see the latest greatest shaving blades costing $100.00 a year.

posted on Dec, 18 2013 @ 04:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Mamatus

Bhuhahahahahaahaha!

that was great I needed that after a rant like this

posted on Dec, 18 2013 @ 04:42 PM
link   

It IS a free market right...freedom to buy and buyer beware??
Get a straight razor and clippers.

My clippers have paid for themselves over and over again.
I understand your rant....thats my contribution to it,also the reason I have this opinion.

If I made a rant it would be...'why can't we do this ourselves',the price of haircuts isn't worth it over the price of a set of clippers.
The razor thing....a straight razor will pay for itself over time as well.

posted on Dec, 18 2013 @ 04:46 PM
link   
I am telling you I sat there at Walmart in the isle with 6 other men and our mouths were wide open at the cost of these things. A couple of wives were there too and were just a s disgusted as we were.

We found a couple of those old type double edged razor handles but there were no blades available. Literally we were all wanting to go back to single blade shavers just to save money. We are talking about 5 razors equaling the price of 10 gallons of Gasoline.

Each blade lasts me about a week. So if I get a month out of them I am left spending $350 a year in blades alone.

Does anyone other than me see something wrong with this?

edit on 18-12-2013 by ChesterJohn because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 18 2013 @ 04:47 PM
link   
Buy a high end electric razor, it might cost a bit more on initial investment but they last years. At the point now where most of them are fully waterproof and don't need to be sharpened either…

posted on Dec, 18 2013 @ 05:27 PM
link   

I'm with you mate - it's disgusting what they charge but got to say it - thank heavens you don't have to use Tampons - women have been ripped off for years!

posted on Dec, 18 2013 @ 05:34 PM
link   

quedup

I'm with you mate - it's disgusting what they charge but got to say it - thank heavens you don't have to use Tampons - women have been ripped off for years!

My wife uses a feminine napkin and gets far more pieces for her dollar than I ever could get razors. seriously for $35 she would be stocked for a year.

I had high priced electric razors but they don't work on all beard types and mine is quite hard, then they suggest you replace blades every 6 months at a cost of $29.

Straight edge would be nice except one thing I have never been trained on how to use one and more than likely slice my throat trying to learn.

posted on Dec, 18 2013 @ 05:36 PM
link   
i have been using the same razor blades for 8 years i put them inside a pyramid that is aligned north /south and with the blade 3.33 up google it pyramid sharpner it does work

posted on Dec, 18 2013 @ 05:40 PM
link   

geobro
i have been using the same razor blades for 8 years i put them inside a pyramid that is aligned north /south and with the blade 3.33 up google it pyramid sharpner it does work

Sure. Why didn't I think of this before?

posted on Dec, 18 2013 @ 05:52 PM
link   
Go back to shaving like your grandfathers. Straight Razors. A bit pricey up front but definitely worth it in the long run.
edit on 18-12-2013 by NihilistSanta because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 18 2013 @ 05:57 PM
link   
I (like most men) removed the straight razor from my home shortly after Lorena Bobbit, bobbed it....

posted on Dec, 18 2013 @ 06:01 PM
link   

NihilistSanta
Go back to shaving like your grandfathers. Straight Razors. A bit pricey up front but definitely worth it in the long run.
edit on 18-12-2013 by NihilistSanta because: (no reason given)

The cost of the safety razor (double edge) is 100 times the amount we could buy one at Walmart but they had no replacement razors.

But really it is not about going back as much as it is the fact that these companies are doing nothing but price gouging and everyone takes it laying down. But make a few million on oil ventures and all of a sudden you are enemy number one.

posted on Dec, 18 2013 @ 06:06 PM
link   

I completely agree. It's crazy how they price the blades for those stupid things. I lost my mind over it about a year ago and I ordered this from Amazon...

www.amazon.com...=pd_sim_hpc_1

Also you wanna use Williams mug soap and a boar bristle brush to lather. Again, this part takes practice and research as well, but it's so much better for your skin than the goop they make now.

It took about a month to get it down, but I can now shave closer and faster than I ever could with the newer razors. Get a box of 100 blades for a few bucks and you'll shave for months with a new razor every single time.

It can be frustrating going from safety razors to straight razors, but if you stick with it, watch some youtube videos, and concentrate on your technique it's worth the effort.

Plus nothing makes you feel manly like holding a razor sharp blade to your throat every morning.

posted on Dec, 18 2013 @ 06:07 PM
link   
I love the rant, and agree.

I would also like to mention that due to some replies on this thread, I've started looking into learning the Straight Shave.

posted on Dec, 18 2013 @ 06:22 PM
link   
this thread made me grow a beard.

I would like to add that I was using razors WAY past their effectiveness, due to the cost.
So shaving was taking much too long. And frankly my follicles were just a little upset about it.

posted on Dec, 18 2013 @ 06:23 PM
link   

I don't actually mean to go back but really the only reason the new blades were seen as a step forward was due to marketing and the fact that at one time they made it so that barber shops could not give shave with a straight razor due to sanitation concerns.

posted on Dec, 18 2013 @ 06:25 PM
link   
I use a Gillette Mach III, which is a three-blade razor that is the smoothest I have ever used. A 3 pack of extra razors costs about $8.00. I real Gillette blade (as opposed to a knock off) will last a solid month or even more, so my total cost of blades per year is approaching the $35 mark.

Well worth it, in my opinion. MUCH better than an electric, for those who advocate that route. I can shave in 30 seconds flat where electrics take forever.

So if you insist on using the latest greatest fad with the most expensive blades, it's your own fault. Get a clue.

posted on Dec, 18 2013 @ 06:30 PM
link   

schuyler
I use a Gillette Mach III, which is a three-blade razor that is the smoothest I have ever used. A 3 pack of extra razors costs about $8.00. I real Gillette blade (as opposed to a knock off) will last a solid month or even more, so my total cost of blades per year is approaching the $35 mark.

Well worth it, in my opinion. MUCH better than an electric, for those who advocate that route. I can shave in 30 seconds flat where electrics take forever.

So if you insist on using the latest greatest fad with the most expensive blades, it's your own fault. Get a clue.

My mach 3 blades are $14.99 w/out tax for four blades. These are the cheaper ones but there is really no reason for them costing this much.

posted on Dec, 18 2013 @ 06:33 PM
link   
Mad TV Twenty Blade Razor

www.youtube.com...

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join