It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

COINTELPRO: Destruction of Dissent

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 19 2004 @ 08:23 AM
link   
Cointelpro was a program used to stomp out dissent. To frame people. To de-ligitimize movements. It was pure evil. And it was supposed to be put to a stop. I guess Asscroft didn't get that memo. For a collection of articles on this very relevant subject go here:

COINTELPRO
The Sabotage Of Legitimate Dissent
Last update Sat Jun 5 16:00:09 PDT 1998

The Brian Glick article on COINTELPRO

The Jean Seberg Smear

The Brian Glick history of COINTELPRO

US Domestic Covert Operations

The Framing Of Qubilah Shabazz

The Black Panther Coloring Book

Actual FBI COINTELPRO documents

Newsline: In Defense Of Paranoia

The Bari/Cherney Bombing

"A Rough, Tough, Dirty Business"

Federal Bureau of Intimidation

"IF AN AGENT KNOCKS"

US Domestic Covert Operations

Mumia's COINTELPRO File

The FBI and Hollywood

Paul Wolf's COINTELPRO Page

www.whatreallyhappened.com...

posted on Nov, 19 2004 @ 10:10 AM
link   
Here's another good article on Cointelpro. It's similar to what ECK is talking about.

June 21, 2002 (FTW) -- COINTELPRO, or Counter-Intelligence Program, was a massive intelligence-based government operation turned loose on the citizens of the U.S. during the 1960s and '70s. In the late-'70s COINTELPRO operations, largely (but not exclusively) coordinated from within the FBI, were thoroughly exposed thanks to the work of the late Senator Frank Church and many others. Tens of thousands of pages of FBI records, as well as those from the CIA's sister operation, MH-CHAOS, were entered into the congressional record detailing the extent the power elites had gone to in order to control public opinion and fragment opposition. At one point the FBI alone had some 35,000 paid informants acting as spies, provocateurs and disinformation agents throughout the American left. Now, they're on both sides of that outdated intellectual construct.

www.fromthewilderness.com...

[edit on 19-11-2004 by mrmulder]

posted on Nov, 19 2004 @ 10:35 AM
link   
35, 000 way back then, huh?
that really lends credence to the suspicions i have of certain members of the board who are like pit bulls with their 'power of persusion' tactics. the ole ad hominem, switch and bait, guilt by association, etc. that we see far too often here from members like gradyphilpott, edsinger, muadib, and howard roark.

examples of tactics.....
take your meds
you got that from the internet, or rense.com
the liberal media
crybabies, whiners, lefties
get over it(the latest addition to the roster of stock comments)

the bias from these cointel pro types is ALWAYS the hard right bias, because that's who's paying the bills.

on the other side(because they always play both sides)
wake up
fascism
civil war(good excuse to shoot some lefties)

the basic tactic is almost always the same. get inside a group disguised as a sympathiser, then polarize the group from within, and split it up.
they've been working on 'the big one' since mcarthy, ....the polarization of america. you can see how easily successful they've been.

[edit on 19-11-2004 by billybob]

posted on Nov, 19 2004 @ 12:09 PM
link   
Yes. It was supposed to have been stomped out after the work of the Church Commission in the 70's. When the truth of what was going on came out into the open, people were outraged. Although it truly never ceased, it came back with a vengeance after 9-11 and leading up to the Iraq war. The funny thing is, these folks who infiltrate have been so stooopid, they couldn't fool the peace movement into taking their poisoned bait.

[edit on 19-09-2003 by EastCoastKid]

posted on Nov, 19 2004 @ 12:40 PM
link   
The efforts to stomp out dissent have worked fairly well in terms of the general population. I just don't see a large chunk of citizens getting involved in protest movements, even if that is the only way to really make changes. It's been made so distasteful to be associated with protesters that most people would rather sit back and condone the crap going on today than exercise their rights. I think too many people hear "protest" and visualize WTO. I was a little kid during the Black Panther days, and some of my family were somewhat militant black folk. My parents were hippies, my mom a feminist. It was a completely different feel. "Power to the people and f@@@ the man" kind of mindset. Looking back on the 60's I always wondered why all those groups stopped short and never seemed to follow through with the people's "mandate" for positive change. Now that I've learned more about how our government works, I see they were just threatened, prosecuted, harassed & legislated to the point where there weren't any movers & shakers left to keep things going.

With the current conservative mindset in power, and seemingly embraced by many americans, it will take something mind-bogglingly horrible (as if Iraq, vote fraud & the patriot act aren't enough) to get people off the couch and into the streets.

--Saerlaith

posted on Nov, 19 2004 @ 12:55 PM
link   
The reason those groups melted away was because things changed. The war came to an end (a victory for protest movement); women and blacks were making in-roads towards making a better living; and then there was the no nukes movement. It was big in the mid-late 70's.

The new conservative movement really got wind in its sails with Reagan coming into office. The country and military was so demoralized after Carter's term, they largely embraced Reagan's toughness. The Iranian hostage crisis and oil embargo really got the USA pissed off. Hence, the rightward shift.

posted on Nov, 19 2004 @ 01:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by EastCoastKid The new conservative movement really got wind in its sails with Reagan coming into office. The country and military was so demoralized after Carter's term, they largely embraced Reagan's toughness.
Does anyone else notice the horrifying irony in the fact that the "no nukes" generation is largely the same people fueling the new "moral conservative" renaissance of 50% majority in the US? Odd how the mood-swings of history over-compensate for the past.

posted on Nov, 19 2004 @ 09:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by SkepticOverlord

Originally posted by EastCoastKid
The new conservative movement really got wind in its sails with Reagan coming into office. The country and military was so demoralized after Carter's term, they largely embraced Reagan's toughness.

Does anyone else notice the horrifying irony in the fact that the "no nukes" generation is largely the same people fueling the new "moral conservative" renaissance of 50% majority in the US?

Odd how the mood-swings of history over-compensate for the past.

i didn't know that they were fueling it. i think it's good to keep the enviroment as the key shaping feature in the collective. the constant threat of nuclear annhilation, enviromental rape, global warming and other major fear factors have 'retrieved' the biblical apocalypse for many. there are no atheists in foxholes.
so, many who are peacenik types, have given their hope over to the world beyond, and are actually PRAYING for the end of the world.
just speculation.

horrifying irony is the funniest kind.

posted on Nov, 20 2004 @ 02:57 AM
link   

Looking back on the 60's I always wondered why all those groups stopped short and never seemed to follow through with the people's "mandate" for positive change. Now that I've learned more about how our government works, I see they were just threatened, prosecuted, harassed & legislated to the point where there weren't any movers & shakers left to keep things going.

All those 'love child" babies all of a sudden needed clean diapers and a roof over their heads. So you had to get a job, and the man wan't hiring long hairs wearing tie-dyed shirts and torn jeans, So you had to change, out of necessity. And there's wasn't too much energy left to protest after a long day's work.

posted on Nov, 22 2004 @ 09:09 AM
link   
Is what concerns me; there's no desire on this Administration's part to even remotely hide the fact they're doing these things.

posted on Nov, 22 2004 @ 09:49 AM
link   
Reflecting back into my childhood I wondered what happened exactly.
(I was 5 when Carter stepped down and Reagan took office)
Hearing how the Peace movement helped put an end to this, triples the respect I have for what my parents did when they were my current age(29). I realise with the rate things are going at the current moment I will be a bit too long in the tooth to be much of a help when the momentum of the pendulum needs to go the other way. (not that it doesn't already) However as long as their is blood flowing in this shell of a body, I will continue to encourage all who oppose this kind of constitutional nullifacation to keep at it!

Hrm..

I am curious... Do you think the poison-bait (modern or just around the corner) will be for a militant left or a civil left conscensious?

I suspect it's neither, I suspect it's apathy that will be the Neo-CointelPro's next weapon of choice. If not, then certainly apathy is the end result. :-/

new topics

top topics

join