It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ATS Advertising

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 18 2013 @ 09:02 AM
link   
For the last couple of months I have been getting various sketchy alerts coming from advertising here on ATS. More so on my Android phone but also on my laptop. I just received one directing me to some 'flash player' download and I know it isn't a true Adobe Flash player link. I know enough not to download it but these messages are taking away from my time here on ATS. I have been visiting here less and less because I am tired of fighting with these alerts and redirects to useless and likely virus ridden websites.

I know ATS is making money by advertising and I don't have a problem with that but I think it is time ATS takes a closer look at what they are advertising and/or take steps to stop these advertising scripts from redirecting away from ATS. I enjoy the various reading material on this site as it can be very informative, and sometimes humorous, but I won't be visiting very often if these issue remain!

Sorry - not much of a rant but need to express this!

(post by shaneslaughta removed for a serious terms and conditions violation)

posted on Dec, 18 2013 @ 09:15 AM
link   
reply to post by fenceSitter

I get a lot of that too lately.

Not only are the ads suspicious, they are very intrusive.

ATS, don't you have enough high quality traffic where you don't have to torture us with this stuff?

What ever happened to ethically generating impressions and genuine clicks?
edit on 12/18/2013 by Corruption Exposed because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 18 2013 @ 09:16 AM
link   
reply to post by shaneslaughta

I recall something about ad blockers being against T&Cs.

I think saying ATS doesnt do the ads is a cop out, if as a part of this community we are required to put up with ads then I think the site has some responsibility to make sure those ads arent adversely affecting us users.

If they are malware or viruses saying we didnt put them there is not an excuse, Ive seen a few threads like this, maybe its time ATS looked at other options for its ad revenue

posted on Dec, 18 2013 @ 09:20 AM
link   
Fair enough.

Just dont be surprised when your ad host chases away people from the site.

I know if it was not for certain software being available i wouldn't use the internet.

So many unsuspecting people get sucked into things like driver updates and fake antivirus alerts and software updates that are completely bogus.

All because the web pages tell them its necessary.

Buy the owner and mods and every one involved in the site creation know this already.

edit on 12/18/2013 by shaneslaughta because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 18 2013 @ 09:38 AM
link   

IkNOwSTuff

I recall something about ad blockers being against T&Cs.

I think saying ATS doesnt do the ads is a cop out, if as a part of this community we are required to put up with ads then I think the site has some responsibility to make sure those ads arent adversely affecting us users.

If they are malware or viruses saying we didnt put them there is not an excuse, Ive seen a few threads like this, maybe its time ATS looked at other options for its ad revenue

I'm surprised that no one can be help accountable for hosting ads that are known to be bogus.

Is destruction of data the same as real property?

I'm not trying to throw any wrenches in the cogs, i just feel that its irresponsible bass-ackwards way of generating revenue.

posted on Dec, 18 2013 @ 09:45 AM
link   
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

I'm a bit confused.

i just feel that its irresponsible bass-ackwards way of generating revenue.

*this is my response as a member, not a member of staff*

Could you please suggest an alternate form of revenue that would keep ATS Free of Charge for it's membership? I'd love to hear one.

Furthermore, ATS doesn't serve it's own ads, we work through a series of different providers who screen and then serve up ads based on your own cookies etc.. Targeted advertising.

The VAST MAJORITY of all ads are served to VISITORS. The more you as a member contribute to ATS, the less ads you'll see, until they are mostly gone except for the main pages like Forums Or Home.

ATS isn't here to hold people's computer hand. Websites aren't built with idiots in mind. I'm sorry, but the technologically illiterate will end up clicking yes and something they aren't suppose to and that's not our fault.

It's VERY easy to inject a redirect into an ad space. This is why trying to fix such a problem is so damn difficult, because it's something independent of US as well as the ad networks we work with.

Were not saying don't use adblocker, hell I do, but I whitelist ATS, because this is a community I've grown to be a part of and that's worth a few minutes of having to see a few ads every week.

People act as if being advertised to is the worse thing in the world, yet you watch movies, television and music and there is far more harmful advertising in that than there ever was a straight up served ad on the internet.

~Tenth

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on Dec, 18 2013 @ 10:01 AM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower

I'm aware of the ad host as being a separate entity,It was in my removed post. I used to run a few websites and have also used Google as my ad host.

With all the ads being hosted here, and the amount of bad ones getting through. I have real concerns.

Its clear that its ATS who is making money off this. Its not cool to allow such things to continue.

Some of the people here may be technically illiterate, so they are an easy target for the ads.

But how is it ok that the system stays in place when its faulty.

Would you continue to drive your car knowing the fuel system is leaking on the engine? Maybe that's a bad example.

The internet in general prays on the less knowledgeable.....does ATS have to aid in it?

You may have a new face to the site, but people wont stay when they are being harassed.

As to your confusion, I wanted to know if knowingly allowing a flawed system to infect a PC, and therefor the date being compromised or destroyed...is that destruction of property? I mean you already admitted to knowing that redirects can be inserted.......so you knowledge that the system is broken....and yet it remains, regardless of how the end user gets treated.

If this is a community, certainly we should care for own?

posted on Dec, 18 2013 @ 10:50 AM
link   
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

Its clear that its ATS who is making money off this. Its not cool to allow such things to continue.

You're surprised that ATS makes money off their ad revenue?!

Or are you accusing ATS of making money off of a malicious interject, such as the fake java update?

The internet in general prays on the less knowledgeable.....does ATS have to aid in it?

Again, please tell me what other source of revenue we could use, that would keep ATS Free.

More accusations of ATS preying on people?

As to your confusion, I wanted to know if knowingly allowing a flawed system to infect a PC, and therefor the date being compromised or destroyed...is that destruction of property? I mean you already admitted to knowing that redirects can be inserted.......so you knowledge that the system is broken....and yet it remains, regardless of how the end user gets treated.

The interjections happen EVERYWHERE on EVERY SITE, there is no 'fixing' it. You'd need a dedicated team of people constantly modifying code and such to keep up with the new problems that exist on the internet.

You're making a mountain of a mole hill. You expect ATS owners and admin to do what NO other website does?

~Tenth

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

(post by desertguy removed for a serious terms and conditions violation)

posted on Dec, 18 2013 @ 11:24 AM
link   

You're surprised that ATS makes money off their ad revenue?!

Or are you accusing ATS of making money off of a malicious interject, such as the fake java update?

Am i surprised that ATS has to resort to ads to make revenue to pay for hardware, hosting, internet, and power? Not at all.

No im not accusing anyone of injecting code to redirect your ad host redirects.

Again, please tell me what other source of revenue we could use, that would keep ATS Free.

More accusations of ATS preying on people?

No i never accused ATS of preying on people.

I am however accusing the site of knowingly using an ad host that allows such redirects to take place.

Why cant the redirect system be an HTTPS system? That would alleviate the problems with injections.

As for what system you should have in place? Google runs a nice system where you can choose what ads are displayed on your site while still allowing targeted advertising.

How about making pay apps for phones? maybe a few dollars a year per user account?

The interjections happen EVERYWHERE on EVERY SITE, there is no 'fixing' it. You'd need a dedicated team of people constantly modifying code and such to keep up with the new problems that exist on the internet.

Again a secure system would take care of the problem. Only allow https ad redirects.
Then the site would get their money. They would also have to hold the ad host accountable.

HTTPS-enabled sites require that all content on the page, including the ads, be SSL-compliant. As a result, our systems will remove all non-SSL compliant ads from competing in the auction on these pages. This means that if you convert your HTTP site to HTTPS, ads on your HTTPS pages might earn less than those on your HTTP pages.

Adsense Blog

While there are some compromises to be made, its within the realm of possibility.

You're making a mountain of a mole hill. You expect ATS owners and admin to do what NO other website does?

~Tenth

It may be a mole hill to you, but to a lot of users that dont have knowledge in how these systems operate, its a huge problem.

This website is to discuss and learn, AKA deny ignorance. How does one do that when ones PC becomes infected by junk and is rendered inoperable, by the very website that they wish to learn from?

OR is it that your trying to tell me ATS only wants technically inclined people on its boards?

If the users dont matter....pull the plug already.

posted on Dec, 18 2013 @ 11:35 AM
link   

shaneslaughta
and the amount of bad ones getting through. I have real concerns.

Which "bad ones"? We only use ad sources that constantly scan the advertising assets for malware, and don't accept campaigns from just anyone with a credit card.

Additionally, I have an unprotected PC Laptop (WinXP) constantly automatically running through ATS pages at a pace of one every ten minutes. That's all it does (no email, no other sites). It's never been "infected" with anything.

also…

edit on 18-12-2013 by SkepticOverlord because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 18 2013 @ 11:56 AM
link   
Deny ignorance...

posted on Dec, 18 2013 @ 12:11 PM
link   
reply to post by fenceSitter

There's ads on ATS ?

I never noticed, get involved and get less ads, I'm pretty much ad free and loving ATS

No need to rant, just be a more involved member of the community.

It's fun

Just my 2 cents

Cody

posted on Dec, 18 2013 @ 12:57 PM
link   
reply to post by SkepticOverlord

Hey SO.. I dont get ONE ad on my toshiba tablet or the Kindle. It it supposed to be like that or do I have ad blockers Im not aware of? Just wondering.
Also, I too have never had any virus warnings or whatever else I see warned about on here from visiting ATS. There have been some darned annoying ads.. but the FREE is worth trying to ignore "TeenWolf" ads.

posted on Dec, 18 2013 @ 01:00 PM
link   
First, i receive flash and java updates from this site. Ones that are not Official releases from Adobe nor Oracle. Those are my biggest concerns.

I have others, such as the free energy devices being pushed by your advertising campaigns.

I can analyze and track these ads and give you a source so you can do something about it.

Skepticoverlord: If you would like, i will continue this discussion with you in private.
As i dont feel the forum is the best place do discuss this anymore.

posted on Dec, 18 2013 @ 01:11 PM
link   
I'm not trying to be a pain to anyone.

I just feel as a community, someone needs to speak up and voice things of concern.

I want to be that voice for those that may lack the understanding of such things.

A peoples advocate if you will.

Maybe I'm wrong but i feel like some people on this site need a voice.

Maybe you dont need a voice because you have one.

posted on Dec, 18 2013 @ 01:52 PM
link   

Advantage
Hey SO.. I dont get ONE ad on my toshiba tablet or the Kindle.

With your WATS score, you don't get ads.

posted on Dec, 18 2013 @ 02:06 PM
link   
The ads don't bother me. Not really. I like ATS so much, I'll even click on some of them. In my mind I'm doing my part in contributing to ad revenue by clicking them.

You know, my ten year old like some of the kids gaming sites that are horrendous for the type of ads being complained about in this rant. Now if I can teach and instruct my ten year old space cadet daughter not to click those ads and simply close out of them so she can continue playing her fashion makeup dress up games . Well then, even the most computer illiterate on ATS have NO excuses.

CdT

posted on Dec, 18 2013 @ 02:09 PM
link   

SkepticOverlord

Advantage
Hey SO.. I dont get ONE ad on my toshiba tablet or the Kindle.

With your WATS score, you don't get ads.

Ahhhh!! Herp-derp!

top topics

<<   2 >>

join