It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Illusion Of Cash

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 18 2013 @ 06:20 AM
link   
I have just read on skynews about the new 'Plastic Notes' which will be arriving in 2016. To me, this is definitive proof that Cash is an Illusion and we/you have been and will always be working for what is actually 'Nothing' or in other words 'cash which doesn't actually exist' .

You will be getting paid for your work in 'Plastic' which doesn't really have any value at all.

News Story Here:

news.sky.com...

Why couldn't I just go out to the Forest, get myself some Leaves and pay for my goods with those Leaves?

posted on Dec, 18 2013 @ 06:48 AM
link   
reply to post by TruthxIsxInxThexMist

I have just read on skynews about the new 'Plastic Notes' which will be arriving in 2016. To me, this is definitive proof that Cash is an Illusion and we/you have been and will always be working for what is actually 'Nothing' or in other words 'cash which doesn't actually exist' .

So on paper its real but plastic its an illusion, that it doesn't exist?

Maybe elaborate as you seem to not understand what the words you use mean.

Australia has had plastic notes for a while now, before it was paper.

They seem real when I hold them and the old ones in my hand.

I can understand if you are going on about Fiat currency, interest rates.

But cash is just in place of leaves of a tree, it just makes it harder to counterfeit.

You will be getting paid for your work in 'Plastic' which doesn't really have any value at all.

If you get paid in cash, it has the value thats put on it for the time being.

Worse is getting your money electronically transferred into your account, then you receive nothing, not even worthless plastic, you get to go on a computer and see if the numbers in your account have risen or you get to use an ATM.

Why couldn't I just go out to the Forest, get myself some Leaves and pay for my goods with those Leaves?

You could if someone would take the leaves as currency.

posted on Dec, 18 2013 @ 06:51 AM
link   

Paper, plastic, digital money is all the same con. Money only has a unit of value as long as we all believe it is worth something. It is all imagined from the consciousness, neurons zapping a particular desire to an attachment to something made up to be important. Right now I'm holding a piece of note pad paper with £1000,000 written on it and I REALLY believe it is worth what it is. All I need is the rest of the people to REALLY believe it is very valuable also.

That's all it takes really weather it backed up by gold, silver or millions of tiny metal purple flakes floating around on the moon.

Its a very clever trap.

posted on Dec, 18 2013 @ 06:59 AM
link   

InhaleExhale

Paper is not real either, it's a promissory note with debt attached.

When it had a gold standard, then it had value (in gold obs) but now, it's just what we make it out to be worth, like bitcoins.

posted on Dec, 18 2013 @ 07:38 AM
link   

TruthxIsxInxThexMist

News Story Here:

news.sky.com...

I do agree that the currency system is messed up almost beyond repair and that money is becoming more and more worthless. But its not that piece of paper or plastic in your wallet that you work for. it's the gold it represents. Or supposedly represents anyway.

when you give me a £10 note I should then take ownership of the gold worth that amount. God knows how I get hold of that gold if I were to ever want to.

The system is flawed and doomed to collapse. at which point you will be right, that new plastic note will be totally worthless. However right now it is still worth something.

posted on Dec, 18 2013 @ 07:46 AM
link   

iRoyalty

InhaleExhale

Paper is not real either, it's a promissory note with debt attached.

When it had a gold standard, then it had value (in gold obs) but now, it's just what we make it out to be worth, like bitcoins.

Even with the gold standard its the same if one looks at the base concept of us putting value on chosen materials. then it comes down to quantity and quality of that certain material.

Paper is quite real,

other wise this should be in the philosophy and metaphysics forum.

The issue and debate where if all debt was to be repaid there is not enough cash in circulation to cover the debt and interest being a scam and an illusion of sorts to get some rich and others in debt then yes I agree and is discussed all over in a number of different conspiracies and is a valid discussion,
However, the OPs jump at the change from paper to plastic being some sort of verification of certain materials not existing or cash as they say not currency but cash and the plastic or paper its printed on is an illusion, that it doesn't exist.

I just asked for clear elaboration whether OP was taking about Fiat Currency and interest rates or actually saying the cash they hold doesn't exist which is not really a discussion of money but reality and what does and doesn't exist which would be better suited in the other forum I suggested.

Value is human creation when it comes to money and material riches.

posted on Dec, 18 2013 @ 07:55 AM
link   
reply to post by Silicis n Volvo

it's the gold it represents. Or supposedly represents anyway. when you give me a £10 note I should then take ownership of the gold worth that amount. God knows how I get hold of that gold if I were to ever want to.

That is the illusion in my opinion,

the value we place on materials. maybe due to abundance/scarcity or popularity and demand.

That value will never hold true for all though.

If you were hungry and you $10 worth of gold, would that hold as much value as say having a loaf of bread to feed yourself with if you could not trade the the gold to feed yourself.

Its valuable when you can trade it and one finds value in it.

Water will be more valuable than Oil soon if we keep polluting at the rate humanity does

posted on Dec, 18 2013 @ 08:18 AM
link   

InhaleExhale
Value is human creation when it comes to money and material riches.

Now we are getting into philosophical areas! However a material like gold will retain value (ignoring supply and demand). So if the dollar suddenly becomes worthless then you still have a gold standard. For example, if you had 1 gram of gold worth $10 and suddenly the dollar dropped so now you could only buy a gram of gold at $100, that one gram of gold you bought at $10 is now worth $100... Whereas if you kept that $10, you still only have $10.

posted on Dec, 18 2013 @ 08:33 AM
link   
reply to post by InhaleExhale

Its a trick played on our Mind to make us believe it is real.

Just like in the Film 'The Matrix'.

Its here right in front of our eyes but most don't see it.

An example could be that you just purchased a house using Gold... now at the moment you could sell back for that same amount in Gold but in the year 2016, you can only receive plastic for your house... which material has more value?
edit on CSTWed, 18 Dec 2013 08:37:50 -0600u3108x050x0 by TruthxIsxInxThexMist because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 18 2013 @ 09:03 AM
link   

If I came to buy your car with a big sheet of plastic which had been covering my brand new bed... would you accept this sheet of plastic as payment? If not, why not? It covers a much larger area than say a £10 or $10 note so therefore should be worth 100x what that £10 or $10 is worth.

posted on Dec, 18 2013 @ 09:09 AM
link   

Well the fact that the amount of money in our accounts worldwide just doesn't exist in cash, should give you the hint that money is an illusion..

posted on Dec, 18 2013 @ 09:21 AM
link   
reply to post by Hellas

One way to collapse the system: Everyone go to the banks and empty your account, watch the bankers squeal and the people get pissssssed!

posted on Dec, 18 2013 @ 09:23 AM
link   
reply to post by iRoyalty

However a material like gold will retain value (ignoring supply and demand).

depending on the situation at hand,

If a crisis was to arise and food and water became extremely scarce then what value will gold have?

Now we are getting into philosophical areas!

That is why asked for elaboration on OPs part about illusion and non existence.

So if the dollar suddenly becomes worthless then you still have a gold standard. For example, if you had 1 gram of gold worth $10 and suddenly the dollar dropped so now you could only buy a gram of gold at $100, that one gram of gold you bought at $10 is now worth $100... Whereas if you kept that $10, you still only have $10.

Yes if it became worthless from the way its set up to become worthless by pumping more and more in to the economy until it bursts and becomes useless then other things that hold value will still be available, however the gold standard is similar to the fiat currency except that with the gold standard there is gold backing but its backing is due to the value we place on gold and the quantity of gold available. its harder to make fake money with a gold baking but still easily done.

If wheat and corn became more valuable than gold which it could if some type of disaster hit and what we feed ourselves with could be worth more than diamonds and platinum and gold combined.

posted on Dec, 18 2013 @ 09:33 AM
link   

I dont understand the problem,whats so bad about these so called "polymer" notes rather than paper? its exactly the same thing but more durable.

posted on Dec, 18 2013 @ 09:34 AM
link   

Its a trick played on our Mind to make us believe it is real.

Its value?

Yes I agree. But most if not all believe it is real, and through that belief it becomes real as with the cash that is an illusion you can purchase other illusions like a roof over your head a loaf of bread to fill your stomach.

An example could be that you just purchased a house using Gold... now at the moment you could sell back for that same amount in Gold but in the year 2016, you can only receive plastic for your house... which material has more value?

Show me where in the UK you can go to a real estate agent and give them gold as payment for property?

The gold that you would use would be given a monetary value which in turn would pay for the house.

Both materials have the same value the way you ask the question.

1 gram of gold now at present has more value than 1 gram of plastic.

However the way you pose your question is you will receive the value of the house back, today it will the value in gold, which might be a kilo or two, or in 2016 it will be the value in plastic which could be a considerate amount more than a kilo or two depending on how much we value plastic in the future.

posted on Dec, 18 2013 @ 09:38 AM
link   

TruthxIsxInxThexMist

If I came to buy your car with a big sheet of plastic which had been covering my brand new bed... would you accept this sheet of plastic as payment? If not, why not? It covers a much larger area than say a £10 or $10 note so therefore should be worth 100x what that £10 or $10 is worth.

What??

If you are happy with the concept of using paper money then what is the issue with these same notes being made from a different material?

posted on Dec, 18 2013 @ 09:51 AM
link   

Fair point, I've always seen this digital money as much worse though.

One of my biggest concerns with the current rate on inflation is that my pay cheque still has the same 4 digits on it every month. However the chocolate bar I buy on my way to work goes up by 10p every year. I know this is a small example but if the cost of things go up, while my pay cheque stays the same, we're being paid less (technically) without anyone batting an eyelid.

However if I was paid in so many grams of gold, which I then traded for it's worth in cash, I would not be victim to that kind of inflation since my pay will be valued to whatever the current financial climate of the currency is.

I get what you're saying though, gold can be as un-predictably valued as currency can be, I just think (fake) currency more so.

posted on Dec, 18 2013 @ 09:52 AM
link   

If I came to buy your car with a big sheet of plastic which had been covering my brand new bed... would you accept this sheet of plastic as payment? If not, why not?

Depends on the value I place on that big piece of plastic you have and if that value would match the value I am looking for when selling my car.

I have a nice car so the plastic better have some fine artwork on it or something.

It covers a much larger area than say a £10 or $10 note so therefore should be worth 100x what that £10 or $10 is worth.

But I cant fit that in my pocket now can I?

Size and value are two completely different things.

You need to re-watch the Matrix,

The message isn't that reality is an illusion and a trick being played on us like how you are saying cash is an illusion.

Its about the power to create through belief in my opinion.

which is like what we do with currency now, matters not what its printed on or what it is just the unified value we place on it based on figures concerning economies of each separate country.

I agree its a scam but am saying that it matters not if gold or anything is behind it because such materials can we worthless overnight.

posted on Dec, 18 2013 @ 10:03 AM
link   
reply to post by iRoyalty

I've always seen this digital money as much worse though.

Much worse,

there's nothing to burn, unless you trash your whole computer but that digital money will be on any computer connected to the server where the money is transferred and where the accounts are linked.

With paper money if you want to protest just burn it, it belongs to the governing body of the country, however, be aware burning government financial notes can get you jail time.

I get what you're saying though, gold can be as un-predictably valued as currency can be, I just think (fake) currency more so.

Pretty much what I am saying,

posted on Dec, 18 2013 @ 10:46 AM
link   

Hellas

Well the fact that the amount of money in our accounts worldwide just doesn't exist in cash, should give you the hint that money is an illusion..

That your net worth could be a bunch of x's and o's in a freekin computer out there somewhere in cyber space. With time and inflation eating away at it. Welcome to the machine one and all.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join