It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

EU parliament votes to invite Snowden to testify over NSA spying

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 17 2013 @ 11:30 PM
link   
I could not find threads on this matter, despite it happening last week:

Snowden could give his testimony via video link in early January if he provides answers in time. On Thursday, it was decided that questions would be assembled for the whistleblower and forwarded to his lawyer. Approximately two questions from each political group will be put to Snowden.

“Snowden is due to give pre-recorded answers to questions posed by MEPs, with no opportunity for Members to challenge his assertions or cross-examine him. His appearance before the parliament's 'NSA inquiry' could be as early as next week,” stated MEP James Holtum.

Snowden could give his testimony via video link in early January if he provides answers in time. On Thursday, it was decided that questions would be assembled for the whistleblower and forwarded to his lawyer. Approximately two questions from each political group will be put to Snowden.

rt.com...
www.theguardian.com...
www.theguardian.com...

This decision has created tension between US and Europe, as well caused discern in some European countries, especially UK. A US senator warned that this could "torpedo" the US-EU trade talks.

Mike Rogers, a Republican from Michigan who is chairman of the House Permanent Select Committee on Intelligence, told reporters at the European Parliament that his thoughts on Snowden were “not fit to print” and that it was “beneath the dignity” of the E.U. institution to invite him to speak.

MEP answer:

“It’s incredible. They came here to warn us not to speak to him ‘or else.’ Well, we in the Parliament damn well decide ourselves who to speak to,” she said. “It’s about time we stopped behaving like a political midget. I hate protectionism, but we have 500 million consumers, and American companies are going to want access to that market.”

In’t Veld said that she believed American businesses were more understanding of European citizens’ privacy concerns than members of the U.S. Congress. “Privacy is the new ‘green.’ When you see companies advertising that they are in a so-called ‘E.U. cloud,’ you know U.S. companies are going to worry,” she added.

www.pcworld.com...

Interesting decision in my eyes from the Parliament. It makes me wonder about what else has Snowden to reveal, especially considering how it causes concerns among withing certain groups and companies, which means there is something worth not wanting to become public information.

Personally I have always disliked the EU-US trade deal, especially considering the US corporate culture. At the end for the average citizen this would not mean much, while only the profits of corporations will become larger. European standards tend to be significantly higher than US, and I am afraid this could eventually open doors towards softening these, especially considering the US agricultural as well as food standards policies. If you open the doors to these corporation, it could eventually lead to significantly higher lobbywork, which could lead to lowering standards here. Especially the bilaretal investment treaties are something that makes me worried. No company should be able to influence the laws, moreover sue a country for their policies affecting their profits... Considering all that I personally hope the deal does not go through anyways.

posted on Dec, 17 2013 @ 11:39 PM
link   

Cabin
Personally I have always disliked the EU-US trade deal, especially considering the US corporate culture. At the end for the average citizen this would not mean much, while only the profits of corporations will become larger. European standards tend to be significantly higher than US, and I am afraid this could eventually open doors towards softening these, especially considering the US agricultural as well as food standards policies. If you open the doors to these corporation, it could eventually lead to significantly higher lobbywork, which could lead to lowering standards here. Especially the bilaretal investment treaties are something that makes me worried. No company should be able to influence the laws, moreover sue a country for their policies affecting their profits... Considering all that I personally hope the deal does not go through anyways.

I agree 100%

On topic. I wonder what Mr Snowden has that worries them so much?

posted on Dec, 18 2013 @ 01:53 AM
link   
HAH! Merkel will shut it down, because my government doesn't have the dignity to protect their people from alien agencies like NSA or CIA. Yeah, thank you for nothing, spies!

posted on Dec, 18 2013 @ 01:56 AM
link   
Of course the rats are scared half to death of the information Snowden has. They desperately do not want the EU to know the level of illegal activity they were up to exposed. The NSA has done the crime so it's time to pay for it. By the way they are acting, it would seem that Snowden has something that would cause a retaliation unheard of in modern times.

The EU has every right to ask questions and the US has no right to try and block or even say a word in this regards. It was the US that got caught so take the heat.

posted on Dec, 18 2013 @ 07:47 AM
link   
I think Snowden should think very carefully on what he decides to divulge.

The NSA is the guilty party, but it's going to have a flow on effect. If the Info he has is as damaging as we are lead to believe, then others could end up in the firing line. When Australia was outed as spying on Indonesia in next to no time people were burning the Australian flag, making every citizen guilty of association.

Innocent people could die from the backlash of the Snowden leaks, I think he should share enough info to implicate those who orchestrated the whole operation, and destroy the rest of the evidence (expect for any possible UFO files). There is enough tension in the world already and what we don't know won't hurt us, As long as those responsible are held accountable.
edit on 18-12-2013 by Thecakeisalie because: (no reason given)

edit on 18-12-2013 by Thecakeisalie because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 18 2013 @ 07:59 AM
link   
reply to post by Thecakeisalie

The one thing I lost respect for Wiki-leaks over was that they released e-mails that said stuff like "The Russian Ambassador is a douche bag!" simply to create tensions...

However I find Snowdon a different case, he has evidence of illegal activity and something that should clearly be punished. He can not give evidence to the UN because the US have pretty much claimed it so the EU parliament is the next best place. I wish him luck and I hope this comes to pass.
edit on 18-12-2013 by iRoyalty because: (no reason given)

top topics

join