It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

PETA'S Unbelievable Letter To 18 Yr. Old Girl Who Was Attacked By Bear

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 18 2013 @ 07:00 AM
link   
reply to post by stargatetravels

There are many countries that have banned battery hens and superfarms etc.
Most countries also dint pump their cattle full of drugs to the point that other countries have banned their import.
The US farming (I use that loosely) model is so wrong and industrialised that it's actually offensive.
Which is why people should buy small, fresh, local...farmers markets etc.
Don't support the super farms and town-sized killing plants, and things will change.

Some nations have the luxury to turn away from mass food production, but that can never honestly be presented as an overall positive thing, in my opinion. Not unless population has changed to explain the sudden lack of need for production at previous levels while shifting to lower producing methods. If population hasn't significantly changed? Then those feel good moves did absolutely nothing but shift the problem elsewhere.

"Europe's role as provider of food to the world is diminishing," and as 2015 approaches, the EU is expected to move from being a net exporter to a net importer of wheat, oilseeds and other commodities, said Franz Fischler, chairman of the Forum on the Future for Agriculture, last week.

This means that "the EU capacity to help fight world starvation will be reduced at a time in which food production will decline predominantly in those countries which already record increasing food import needs," Fischler added.
Source

The same amount of food is still needed. Who produces it and how far away from sensitive eyes that all takes place is all that fundamentally changes here. I'd love to see mass food production reformed in meaningful ways...but unless starvation on a mass scale is the intended goal? Elimination of it isn't going to be viable.

Until reforms are made, and what makes hunting SO wildly popular in states like Missouri and others in this region, is that hunted meat is CLEAN meat. Even organically super duper friendly raised livestock still sees a vet when sick ..and some, like me, just like meat that has never had any human contact or handling at all. It's worth the miserable and quite frankly, ugly process that physically hunting and killing the animal is.
edit on 18-12-2013 by Wrabbit2000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 18 2013 @ 07:09 AM
link   

snarky412

Panic2k11
reply to post by snarky412

Again you point is, we need an organization to protect little girls since bears can protect themselves. I think that the move was to the point and could be an incredibly opportunity to make a sport hunters reconsider their actions that were the direct cause of his situation.

There are too many humans and too few bears, that is the final math.

Ah, let me guess....

You are anti-gun

The reason for HUNTING SEASON is to thin out animals, so they don't over populate.
Whether it's deer/bear season, there is a specific time of the year to hunt.
It's not like a free for all, shoot what we want when we want.
There are laws in place to monitor hunting

And I value human lives over wild animals any day of the week

edit on 17-12-2013 by snarky412 because: (no reason given)

I value all lives and your excuse is donkey do. If animals are "over populating" then maybe that's what nature wants. We are not gods, we don't get to decide which animals die or live.

posted on Dec, 18 2013 @ 07:47 AM
link   
reply to post by JameSimon

For the record, I value all lives too, and over population absolutely is a very real problem and issue that needs managed. Hunting is one way that happens, but nature finds other ....less desirable ways if hunting doesn't take enough number from the overall herds.

Not all deer species that confront cars also face extinction. Many regions of the U.S. suffer from overpopulation of two species of large mammals: deer and humans. No wonder our two paths cross so often, as each year 350,000 deer fatally collide with vehicles. An additional 50,000 collide and survive.

From 1993 to 1994, Ohio's deer population rose five percent, as did its deer collisions. Among its total deer population of over 500,000, there were 25,636 reported cases of deer colliding with cars. That's 1 in 20óand that's only what's reported.

It's a serious public health hazard in other ways and it kills more than deer.

Human casualties also occur. In 1994, Michigan reported 56,666 deer collisions, of which five resulted in human fatalities. According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, every year 120 people are killed and 8,000 are injured in deer collisions. For all animal collisions, it's 150 people dead and 10,000 injured.
Source

The source there has all kinds of stats which are interesting, but those jump out and come pretty close to what I've read elsewhere. It isn't whether man kills them, but how that happens and whether it does the good of feeding people in a controlled way vs. killing people and tearing up property.

(post by Scubaboy removed for a manners violation)

posted on Dec, 18 2013 @ 09:11 AM
link   
reply to post by Panic2k11

The letter is completely condescending. Peta should have not sent it at all. If im walking in the woods and an animal attacks me....im going to do everything I can to defend myself including kill it if need be. That is just nature. I wouldnt be mad at the bear. But neither should someone be mad at me. I think hunting for sport is ridiculous but I also think golf is ridiculous. Some people just enjoy hunting. As long as its legal who cares. PETA's letter is rude as hell.

posted on Dec, 18 2013 @ 09:30 AM
link   
reply to post by cosmicexplorer

The letter is completely condescending. Peta should have not sent it at all. If im walking in the woods and an animal attacks me....im going to do everything I can to defend myself including kill it if need be. That is just nature. I wouldnt be mad at the bear. But neither should someone be mad at me. I think hunting for sport is ridiculous but I also think golf is ridiculous. Some people just enjoy hunting. As long as its legal who cares. PETA's letter is rude as hell.

I don't agree, it is to the point note that the logic behind it may be obvious to me and you but people that engage in this blood for sport activities have already by default a different view on the subject, that is what PETA is attempting to address.

A creature attacks you by instinct (fear or food), you encroach on its diminished habitat by choice and with a superior mind and hopefully an understanding on the risks you run and how to avoid them (or you just should stay away from wild areas).

Being mad at any creature that attacks or even kills is just stupidity from lion to shark, but even so most attacks are responded with deadly retribution by humans, often even killing the wrong animal (or more animals), this is emotional response not rational thinking.

I agree that hunting for sport in our planet present situation is unjustified, even for culling excedent populations we should a) move them b) intrude natural predators c) expand their habitat by smarter use of land and resources.

Some people just enjoy hunting. As long as its legal who cares.

There are many things that a legal and illegal, if no one cared there wouldn't be a law about it right ? The problem with hunting for sports is that you have more difficulty hunting for necessity, it also commercializes killing and promotes abuses and inhumane practices. The reality is that there are many alternatives to it and a scarcity in resources to be spending them in this way...

posted on Dec, 18 2013 @ 09:46 AM
link   
Seeing as my other post was removed, i will write it again without the bad language as this has really incensed me. Are you guys seriously telling me that this letter was not exactly the right thing to do. PETA is a group set up for the welfare of animals, all they are trying to do is re-educate this girl to stop what she is doing. It is barbaric.

How anyone could go out for the day, and want to shoot a bear is completely beyond me. What does she do when she has killed it, go home and brag about what a great hunt it was and how incredible the feeling was to shoot a bear that has no chance to fight back. Meanwhile the bears cubs are left alone in the woods, without anyone to look after them, they would soon die also

If you want to go hunting, do it without guns, even the balance. This girl is everything that is wrong with the world, we have no right to go out and end animals lifes for sport, its an absolute disgrace. People these days are completely losing site of what Ok and whats not. Bears are incredible creatures, and before long they wont be around anymore, we have invaded their habitat through mass population of our species and shoot them for sport to "keep numbers down" blah blah blah.

i,m sorry but if you get pleasure from shooting animals there is something seriously wrong with you, take up football, basketball, anything, but stop purging our planet of some of the most beautiful creatures as before long, nothing will be left. Hopefully then you guys can hunt each other...

Rant over

posted on Dec, 18 2013 @ 09:56 AM
link   

That young lady should kill a bear, make a nice rug out of it's skin and send it to PETA for their offices with a nice Thank You note for all of their concern for her well being.

PETA is doing a fine job of showing what NOT to do to gain public support for the protection of animals!

posted on Dec, 18 2013 @ 10:00 AM
link   

VoidHawk
Am I understanding this right!?!

She went out hunting bears. The Bear bit her. And she's concerned because someone told her to think about it from the Bears point of view??

BWA HA HA HA

The Bear should have bit her head off.

Good bear.

My thoughts exactly, it totally serves her right..like i said, you want to hunt bears then go toe to toe with one, but people that hunt, wont, because they are cowards..thats why they hunt to restore some kind of dominance over an animal that never has a chance, why dont you just go to the local park and start blasting peacocks in their averys..same thing, grow up, grow a pair and leave wildlife alone, they are beautiful and deserve to be here just as much as we do..
edit on 18-12-2013 by Scubaboy because: spelling mistake

posted on Dec, 18 2013 @ 10:00 AM
link   

Scubaboy
How anyone could go out for the day, and want to shoot a bear is completely beyond me.

She wasn't, she was hunting deer when they encountered the bear and it attacked her. They were near their farm looking for any deer in the area, and she apparently got too close to the cubs, inadvertently, and the bear attacked her.

posted on Dec, 18 2013 @ 10:01 AM
link   
reply to post by littled16

I wouldnt have though this was true, those that are annoyed by the letter are those that hunt.
those that think the letter is ok are those that dont.
Broadly speaking of course.
It's unlikely that anybody bought up to hunt will end up supporting peta. Brainwashing works both ways.

posted on Dec, 18 2013 @ 10:01 AM
link   

VoidHawk
Am I understanding this right!?!

No. They were hunting deer, not bear. She got too close to the bear's cubs, while looking for deer, and it attacked her.

posted on Dec, 18 2013 @ 10:02 AM
link   
same thing, why shoot an animal, poor guys.

Bear 1 Human 0

posted on Dec, 18 2013 @ 10:03 AM
link   

WilsonWilson
It's unlikely that anybody bought up to hunt will end up supporting peta. Brainwashing works both ways.

I've never hunted, and will never support PETA in any way. PETA claims to be an animal rights group, and they slaughter thousands of animals a year with their "shelter" program. Many of them go into the van, and are euthanized without even leaving the parking lot where they were picked up. They have something like a 1-2% adoption rate from their shelters for some animals, and as high as 5% for others.

posted on Dec, 18 2013 @ 10:04 AM
link   
reply to post by Scubaboy

Because deer puts food on the table. Some people prefer to find their own food, and eat their own food, instead of eating processed food that has tons of hormones and other things they don't want in it.

posted on Dec, 18 2013 @ 10:08 AM
link   
reply to post by Zaphod58

Thats fine and i can appreciate that, but going back to the letter, i dont think it is condescending at all, also, for the record, i dont support PETA either, although they do some good, their figures in general are both shocking and disturbing. However, if you are going to represent an animal welfare group, there really isnt another alternative than to write that letter. Maybe sending anything at all was a bad idea, but i dont think the content of the letter is wrong. I think it is very right, maybe people that hunt should be re-educated, as a species we seem to think we can elimate animals and ecosystems at will, for our own benefit...this is wrong and needs to stop and i think the more people are informed about it the better.

posted on Dec, 18 2013 @ 10:14 AM
link   
The letter is quite considerate and wishes the girl a speedy recovery,whilst also raising the issue of how hunting (for fun) is both barbaric and potentially dangerous,if this article was supposed to get me enraged it didn't work.

posted on Dec, 18 2013 @ 10:53 AM
link   

That's a pretty amusing letter...Animals are far more intelligent than we give them credit for (probably more intelligent than the poor woman) and they are instinctive by nature.

Do you think they do not know what a hunter is or looks like? Animal or not, if I saw a group of people with rilfes the first thing I would think is too offensive to print, the second thing I would think is "hunters"...all in the same sentence, the first word starting with F.

But it was insensitive and typical PC response of this day and age.

posted on Dec, 18 2013 @ 11:17 AM
link   
This lady should send PETA some nicely framed pictures of herself lounging on her new bear skin rug. All while flipping them the bird in her pose. Merry Christmas PETA.

posted on Dec, 18 2013 @ 02:17 PM
link   
Naturally, a person getting injured is concerning. But, blaming a bear for behaving like a bear is a tough sell.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join