It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

PETA'S Unbelievable Letter To 18 Yr. Old Girl Who Was Attacked By Bear

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 17 2013 @ 11:14 PM
link   
A Pennsylvania teenager attacked by a bear while hunting was told “to put yourself in the place” of the bear in a letter from the animal-rights group People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals. PETA sent 18-year-old Camille Bomboy the letter four days after she suffered injuries from bear bites and nearly lost her ear.

PORTER TOWNSHIP, CLINTON COUNTY - People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals or PETA, has asked a local young woman who was mauled by a bear to stop hunting.

PETA sent a letter to Camille Bomboy, the 18-year-old hunter who narrowly survived an attack by a mother bear Friday morning.

Bomboy was attacked by a bear Monday morning at her family's farm, and suffered bite injuries to her arms and shoulders and almost lost an ear. Her step-father was able to scare the bear off by shooting a rifle into the air.

PETA Writes to Bear Mauling Victim

The letter, which asked the girl to use the attack to rethink her position on hunting, was written by Alicia Woempner, special projects division manager at PETA, to Camille Bomboy, 18.

To send that type of letter so soon after the attack IMO is tacky and shameful.
How low these PETA loonies will go just astonishes me.

LETTER:

December 13, 2013

Dear Ms. Bomboy,

I am writing on behalf of PETA and our more than 3 million members and supporters, including thousands across Pennsylvania, to send our best wishes for your speedy recovery and ask you to take a few moments to reflect on this incident. This seems to be a good opportunity to put yourself in the place of the individuals you and the rest of your hunting party were trying to kill. As terrifying as it must have been to be attacked by a bear, please consider the frightening and painful experiences that hunters set out to impose upon animals. There used to be a bumper sticker that read, "I support the right to arm bears!" That was a joke, but in all seriousness, it would be a blessing if you were to abandon hunting and decide to live and let live.

As this mother bear demonstrated, animals form intense bonds with their young, just as we do, and will go to great lengths to protect them, just as your stepfather did for you. Like us, animals value their lives and don't want to be killed. And many animals endure prolonged, painful deaths when they're injured by hunters but not killed outright, which I'm sure you know firsthand from being in the woods. A study of 80 radio-collared deer found that of the 22 deer who had been shot with "traditional archery equipment," 11 were wounded but not recovered.

Now that you've experienced the horror of an attack—although this one was in self-defense—we hope you will choose to enjoy nature in only nonviolent ways. Thank you for your consideration.

Kind regards,

Alicia Woempner
Special Projects Division Manager

Here is a video where they had a PETA representative on Fox and boy did she gripe my azz!!
*VIDEO HERE*

If she had been walking by the momma bear going for a stroll, the bear still would have attacked the her regardless.
Glad some one was there with a rifle to scare her off.

A picture of the pretty and gutsy young lady, Camille

And yes, she still intends to go hunting when she gets the chance.

Hope you have a speedy recovery Camille and just blow off PETA and their dimwitted ways.

edit on 17-12-2013 by snarky412 because: spelling

+13 more 
posted on Dec, 17 2013 @ 11:19 PM
link   
PETA kills more animals than anybody else.... the unmitigated gall is staggering, as is the hypocrisy IMO.

Makes you wonder what kind of person just COULDN'T sleep until they lectured this young woman about how she pretty much deserved what she got. Must have been a boring evening.

ETA -

In 2012 only 10.8 percent of the pets taken in by PETA at their headquarters in Norfolk Virginia escaped the hypodermic; 94.1 percent of the cats and 82.1 percent of the dogs ended up in Ingrid's walk-in freezer.

A total of 1,675 cats, dogs, and "other companion animals" are listed in the column headed "Euthanized." Plus 72 unlucky wild animals.

Taking wildlife into account, Newkirk's outfit killed 89.2 percent of animals taken in.

Pot meet kettle. Now I have to go find my stamps and stationary.....

www.huffingtonpost.com...

edit on 12/17/2013 by Kangaruex4Ewe because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 17 2013 @ 11:25 PM
link   

Kangaruex4Ewe
PETA kills more animals that anybody else.... the unmitigated gall is staggering, as is the hypocrisy IMO.

That dippy azz woman on the video just irritated the hell out of us.
God I just wanted to reach out there and strangle her.

Their way of thinking is really out there and will NOT listen to any other reasoning at all

PETA to me is nothing but a bunch of bored/scorned housewives that have nothing better to do, except annoy other people.

edit on 17-12-2013 by snarky412 because: (no reason given)

+23 more 
posted on Dec, 17 2013 @ 11:26 PM
link   
reply to post by snarky412

I sorry but I may have missed your point. Peta is acting in behalf of the victims (the bears) and the letter seems very considerate taking in consideration the situation. The human took the risk fully aware of the possible consequences and for simple sport. It could be compared to a rape victim going out and attempt to establish a connection to the rapist as to attempt to change his mind after he had a bad prison experience. Besides the unnecessary publicity (creating a state of exception) since the letter was personal the person behind it had major brains to advance the cause of animals next to those that victimize them when they themselves are experiencing a false sense of victimization and so more empathic towards the pain and rational for their present situation...

edit on 17-12-2013 by Panic2k11 because: (no reason given)

+4 more 
posted on Dec, 17 2013 @ 11:29 PM
link   
Yeah maybe PETA should reconsider their position on the 20,000 dogs they kill every year.
Ethical my Ass.

posted on Dec, 17 2013 @ 11:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Panic2k11

The point is:

The bear would have attacked regardless, whether hunting or not.
She was protecting the cubs.

And the letter was more concerned over the bear than the girl.
Only one sentence about 'hope you have a speedy recovery'
The rest was a LECTURE on animals and hunting.

In other words, to hell with humans, don't hurt bears.
And if you watched the video, you can see how narrow-minded and selfish the PETA representative is towards the girl being mauled.

Basically, PETA doesn't give a rats azz about the girl, only the stupid bear.

posted on Dec, 17 2013 @ 11:31 PM
link   

snarky412

That dippy azz woman on the video just irritated the hell out of us.
God I just wanted to reach out there and strangle her.

Their way of thinking is really out there and will NOT listen to any other reasoning at all

PETA to me is nothing but a bunch of bored/scorned housewives that have nothing better to do, except annoy other people.

I definitely have no love for them. You would be hard pressed to find someone who loved animals as much as I do and when I was much younger I thought PETA might be a good thing. That was long before "kittens of the sea" and an almost 90% kill rate of the animals they take in to "protect".

With the money they take in and the amount of media that fawns over them, you would think they could do a wee bit better than they are, but I agree with you. There is no reasoning with them or anyone who blindly supports them. It ceases to be about logic with that organization and any negative talk thrown it's way is met with "Why do you hate the animals so much?".

+31 more 
posted on Dec, 17 2013 @ 11:33 PM
link   
Am I understanding this right!?!

She went out hunting bears. The Bear bit her. And she's concerned because someone told her to think about it from the Bears point of view??

BWA HA HA HA

The Bear should have bit her head off.

Good bear.

posted on Dec, 17 2013 @ 11:35 PM
link   

Again you point is, we need an organization to protect little girls since bears can protect themselves. I think that the move was to the point and could be an incredibly opportunity to make a sport hunters reconsider their actions that were the direct cause of his situation.

There are too many humans and too few bears, that is the final math.

posted on Dec, 17 2013 @ 11:35 PM
link   
PETA an organization for rich idiot children.

Wots the posh thing to do?

edit on 17-12-2013 by Lysergic because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 17 2013 @ 11:37 PM
link   

VoidHawk

She went out hunting bears. The Bear bit her. And she's concerned because someone told her to think about it from the Bears point of view??

BWA HA HA HA

Good bear.

She passed by a mother bear who attacked her and would have regardless if one was hunting or not.

Instead of hiding behind a letter and giving the girl a lecture, PETA should have given her time and confronted her face to face, not like a bunch of cowards

posted on Dec, 17 2013 @ 11:38 PM
link   

face to face confrontation?

Only if they out number their target.

oh wait, I suppose it goes hand in hand with cowardice.

I should just start sending letters to random people on storys on the news, something like this;

"Dear Blahblahblah,

You have offended me in such ways as follows;

-----
-----
-----

Please learn to not suck so much next time,

-Lys internet armchair-master"

edit on 17-12-2013 by Lysergic because: i blahed my blah blah

posted on Dec, 17 2013 @ 11:41 PM
link   

Panic2k11

Again you point is, we need an organization to protect little girls since bears can protect themselves. I think that the move was to the point and could be an incredibly opportunity to make a sport hunters reconsider their actions that were the direct cause of his situation.

There are too many humans and too few bears, that is the final math.

Ah, let me guess....

You are anti-gun

The reason for HUNTING SEASON is to thin out animals, so they don't over populate.
Whether it's deer/bear season, there is a specific time of the year to hunt.
It's not like a free for all, shoot what we want when we want.
There are laws in place to monitor hunting

And I value human lives over wild animals any day of the week

posted on Dec, 17 2013 @ 11:46 PM
link   

snarky412

Ah, let me guess....

You are anti-gun

The reason for HUNTING season is to thin out animals, so they don't over populate.
Whether it's deer/bear season, there is a specific time of the year to hunt.
It's not like a free for all, shoot what we want when we want.
There are laws in place to monitor hunting

And I value human lives over animals......

You are correct. In many areas (including my county) they will sometimes pay people a bounty to hunt when the population is getting out of control.

This video explains what would happen if there was no hunting -

minnesota.cbslocal.com...

edit on 12/17/2013 by Kangaruex4Ewe because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 17 2013 @ 11:46 PM
link   

Ah, let me guess.... You are anti-gun

No I'm strongly supportive of gun ownership but mostly as protection against other humans and especially as way to keep violence monopoly out of government's hands...
edit on 17-12-2013 by Panic2k11 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 17 2013 @ 11:49 PM
link   
I wonder if the PETA people see it from the bears perspective when said bear breaks into their range rover thats parked in the hoity toity mountain exclusive resort parking lot overnight because it smells left over chips and snack bags left on the passenger side floor or Maybe the cooler of failed fishing dreams (ie empty but smelling like old ineffective but sorta stinky bait) in the back seat.

Bet they dont see it from the bears point of view in the morning when they realize they can't go skiing on trust fund baby mountain for the day because they have to deal with their now scratched up range rover/ humvee/ some other equal example of tacit inadequacy.

Bet they damn the bear then. Hypocrite PETA People.

posted on Dec, 17 2013 @ 11:51 PM
link   
If they are so worried about bears, why don't they sacrifice themselves to the bears so they know that they stay well fed?

Oh whats that, its only fun when you are crapping on someone? Oh THAT I GET.

posted on Dec, 18 2013 @ 12:01 AM
link   
Real smooth, PETA, real smooth. You guys are turning into the animal-slanted version of WBC, yanno that, right? You've really missed the mark here on "appropriate condolences".

About the only worth PETA has anymore is akin to being the flaming bag of dog sh**. It can be amusing once in a while in the right context, but ultimately, it's just a rank flaming pile being flung around.

posted on Dec, 18 2013 @ 12:18 AM
link   
Self-righteous a*holes.

They should take the place of the girl, except for naked and (assuming their a dude) dip their junk in some honey. bears like honey don't they?

I'd say pot meet kettle, but it doesn't really bring this justice.

PETA, just shut the hell up already.

posted on Dec, 18 2013 @ 12:33 AM
link   

VoidHawk

BWA HA HA HA

Good bear.

I doubt she was hunting bears. If so her step father would have killed it. She was just hunting (probably dear or elk) and ran into the bear.

You are supposed to make noise when your walking through the woods. I don't know how this works when hunting but that's what I've been told (human voice is the best). When hunting you have to be quiet and sneaky so it's a risk you take - surprising a bear or being stalked by a mountain lion maybe.

These people really made themselves look bad with this letter. 'Don't go hunt your own food - please buy the meat they abuse before killing and packaging it.' And this is a leader in their organization? I'm impressed an 18 year old girl knows how to hunt. Hopefully she fills her tags this season.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join