It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Teacher Says Santa Is White, Tells Black Student to Take Off Santa Hat

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 17 2013 @ 01:53 PM
link   
I know folks must be saying this can't be real. Santa is a fictional character and can be played out as anything, anyone, any race. I've even seen a green Grinch Santa. I mean, come on...

Christopher Rougier, a ninth-grade student in Rio Rancho, N.M., was dressed as Santa for a holiday party when his teacher told him to remove the hat because of the color of his skin, the student's father said.

Michael Rougier said the teacher told his son during the event on Thursday that he couldn't be Santa because the teen is black and Santa is white.

The kid is autistic, and as such, can't really defend himself against bigoted or close-minded abuse.

First Megyn Kelly, now this nonsense

posted on Dec, 17 2013 @ 02:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Jaellma

The father is right, the teacher is a ratbag. Perhaps he thought the remarks would get no further than the classroom, and this to a child with special needs???

posted on Dec, 17 2013 @ 02:15 PM
link   

Jaellma
I know folks must be saying this can't be real. Santa is a fictional character and can be played out as anything, anyone, any race. I've even seen a green Grinch Santa. I mean, come on...

Christopher Rougier, a ninth-grade student in Rio Rancho, N.M., was dressed as Santa for a holiday party when his teacher told him to remove the hat because of the color of his skin, the student's father said.

Michael Rougier said the teacher told his son during the event on Thursday that he couldn't be Santa because the teen is black and Santa is white.

The kid is autistic, and as such, can't really defend himself against bigoted or close-minded abuse.

First Megyn Kelly, now this nonsense

JESUS H CHRIST!!
Cant we get through the season of goodwill without race baiting topics?

So what, some ignorant person said some crap. Is it even discussion worthy?
Hell no. Ignorant people talk crap all day everyday, is it on the news? No.
Is it worthy of wasting time discussing? No.

Now Ive wasted enough of my time on this.
Go get drunk and be happy, yes the world is full of idiots, thats life.

posted on Dec, 17 2013 @ 02:20 PM
link   
reply to post by OneManArmy

Speak for yourself, buddy. I have an autistic son and I know how hard it is for him to deal with people and life, in general.

This story smacks of injustice and if you can't deal with it, then don't comment. Go get drunk yourself and be merry!

posted on Dec, 17 2013 @ 02:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Jaellma

Wow, this is insane! Everyone knows Santa is Chinese. (don't believe me? read the label on the toys he brings)

People should just pat folks like this on the head and say "bless your heart" and walk away shaking your head.

posted on Dec, 17 2013 @ 02:34 PM
link   

Jaellma

Speak for yourself, buddy. I have an autistic son and I know how hard it is for him to deal with people and life, in general.

This story smacks of injustice and if you can't deal with it, then don't comment. Go get drunk yourself and be merry!

My daughter is on the autistic spectrum.
I will get drunk and be merry. Thats what christmas and new year is all about. IMO.
Have fun race baiting. I have a hard enough time dealing with people and life, and Im not even autistic.
I try to get away from the "nastiness" of the world at Christmas. Its better for my health.

posted on Dec, 17 2013 @ 02:46 PM
link   

Jaellma

Your kidding right?

Kids should Not wear hats in class. Thats rule 1. Teacher had every right to tell the kid to take the hat off. Teacher told the truth.. Santa is Not Black, therefore a black man wearing a santa hat looks silly.

Nothing racist about this at all.

Abuse? There is no abuse here. Define abuse. No abuse took place here at all. The teacher's comment may have been odd, but it was Not racist and not abuse !!

~~~~~~~
9th grade?

This kid can't be very autistic. In 9th grade I had to learn Spanish and algebra. This kid must have known wearing the hat in class was wrong and he would have been asked to remove it anyway.

How does a kid even pass grades 1 through 8 with autism? How can they if they can't do the work? I submit this kid wasn't as mentally challenged as some here think.

Or what.. they pass autistic kids up the grades even though they cant do the work.. if thats whats happening thats as bad if not worse then passing kids for the sake of them playing Football.
edit on 17-12-2013 by JohnPhoenix because: sp

posted on Dec, 17 2013 @ 03:20 PM
link   
Already posted here: www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Dec, 17 2013 @ 03:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Jaellma

My heart goes out to the family. I dealt with similar problems in th 80's when my daughter was told throughout elementary that Santa, Jesus, and Adam and Eve were black. The kids were only allowed to wear Kwanza dress during Christmas. I had a hard time keeping her from becoming racist because so much race grandisement was shoved on her. I pray they can use this as a lesson to learn forgiveness which is what the season is about.

posted on Dec, 17 2013 @ 04:17 PM
link   

Jaellma

And I have three, I guess OMA doesn't get it that this was an institutional affair with other impressionable kids standing by, and more so the class teacher 'should have' special skills to deal with special needs children. The teacher acted like a very bad word, and is a bully cheerleader.
For Jesus's sake, dedicated people spend their whole lives trying to educate the rest of us on people with special needs, and you get one feckup in a priviledged position, putting bias on a new generation of kids, in at least one way. His apology is meaningless, unless he goes back to that class and tells them he was utterly wrong.
edit on 17-12-2013 by smurfy because: Text.

posted on Dec, 17 2013 @ 04:18 PM
link   
reply to post by JohnPhoenix

Kids should Not wear hats in class. Thats rule 1.

Why is this even a rule? lol SMH

Teacher told the truth.. Santa is Not Black, therefore a black man wearing a santa hat looks silly.

Santa isn't white either. Santa is a fictional character.

Here's a bit I grabbed from an external site:

Santa Claus is a Dutch corruption of Saint Nikolaos, a fourth-century saint from the Mediterranean coast of Anatolia in what is now Turkey. He was also known as Nikolaos Thaumaturge, the master magician.
Eastern Orthodox icons of St. Nicholas (the Latin form of the name) often depict him as dark-skinned, to show his Mediterranean origins.

www.juancole.com...
Doesn't sound like he was 'white' either.

But why would it be silly just because someone of a different skin color chooses to wear "white" Santa's hat? It's just holiday fun man….

My nephew went as a Ninja Turtle during Halloween events even though he doesn't have green skin. You think people should have told him to take it off and informed him of his lack of green skin? Nah. That would be silly. What you're proposing is silly. Since when do we not suspend disbelief for holiday costumes??

Nothing racist about this at all.

Sure buddy

edit on 17-12-2013 by Lucid Lunacy because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 17 2013 @ 04:25 PM
link   

smurfy

Jaellma

And I have three, I guess OMA doesn't get it that this was an institutional affair with other impressionable kids standing by, and more so the class teacher 'should have' special skills to deal with special needs children. The teacher acted like a very bad word, and is a bully cheerleader.
For Jesus's sake, dedicated people spend their whole lives trying to educate the rest of us on people with special needs, and you get one feckup in a priviledged position, putting bias on a new generation of kids. His apology is meaningless, unless he goes back to that class and tells them he was utterly wrong.
edit on 17-12-2013 by smurfy because: (no reason given)

He apologised. How is that meaningless? Do you want blood?
People make mistakes, does that mean they should be hung drawn and quartered?
Or would you rather he lose his job for christmas?

Teachers have been putting biases on kids since I was at school in the 80's and probably a lot longer than that, but Im just speaking from experience.

For CHRISTS sake, show some forgiveness and compassion.

posted on Dec, 17 2013 @ 04:36 PM
link   
This is a duplicate thread and hereby closed. The original thread is linked a few posts further up.

top topics

join