It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: UN staff ready historic no-confidence vote in Annan

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 19 2004 @ 06:16 AM
link   
For the first time United Nations United Nations History, employees are set to issue a unprecedented vote of no confidence in Secretary-General Kofi Annan. The vote comes on the heels of Annan, according to union sources, pardoning Dileep Nair who had been charged with sexual harassment and violations of U.N. rules. This is the latest series of allegations to have hit Annan who is currently under fire for the ill fated oil for food scandal and other failures at the world body.

story.news.yahoo.com
UNITED NATIONS (AFP) - UN employees are expected to issue an unprecedented vote of no confidence in Secretary-General Kofi Annan, union sources say, after he pardoned the body's top oversight official over a series of allegations.

The UN staff union, in what officials said was the first vote of its kind in the more than 50-year history of the United Nations, was set to approve a resolution withdrawing support for the embattled Annan and senior UN management.

Annan has been in the line of fire over a high-profile series of scandals including controversy about a UN aid programme that investigators say allowed deposed Iraqi dictator Saddam Hussein to embezzle billions of dollars.

Staffers said the trigger for the no-confidence measure was an announcement this week that Annan had pardoned the UN's top oversight official, who was facing allegations of favouritism and sexual harassment.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

It is high time that Annan resign. The oil for food debacle is just the tip of the iceberg. It seems as if corruption is the norm for the U.N. and Annan as the head is either part of it, or simply so clueless that he has no idea what is going on under his watch. How low do we want to stoop before we give him the boot? Ask the people of Rwanda or the Sudan how effective the U.N. has been at marinating the peace. Or better yet, ask Saddam how he likes the 21 billion he was able to siphon off the oil for food program.

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
NEWS: Probe: Saddam Made $21B From U.N. Oil For Food Program
POLITICS: U.N. Oil For Food Scandal Grows. Possibly the Largest in Human History.

posted on Nov, 19 2004 @ 06:19 AM
link   
It seems corruption is the norm EVERYWHERE!! The UN is just keeping up with the recent trends.. ENRON, PARMALAT the whole capitalist system is corrupt as profit is everything.. and doing everything to get a profit means doing anything for money, and thats corruption.

posted on Nov, 19 2004 @ 06:32 AM
link   
I've beeen saying this for a while now, for the most part the UN will end up likle the League of Nations and fail. In just a year we've seen several scandals and now Annan will likely get the boot.

And its sad when a nation like Sudan is suffering, and the UN does nothing but just says that its a "Human Rrights Crisis".

posted on Nov, 19 2004 @ 06:43 AM
link   
I wonder who is likely to replace ol Kofi? Bill Clinton? Jean Chretien? Chirac? Nelson Mandela? Colin Powell? lol
Should be interesting, anyway...

posted on Nov, 19 2004 @ 06:58 AM
link   
The U.N. serves no purpose any more. Communication between nations can be achieved much more easily now that it could 50 years ago. Also, it is painfully obvious that this body has no will to act and has no ability to implement any kind of meaningful oversight. Let�s break out the humanitarian portions of the UN (the part that actually does some good) and dispose of the rest.

I propose that a new League of Republics be founded. Only countries that have a representative form of government will be allowed to join. Communists and petty dictators will not be welcomed. The idea of a security council must be abolished and a more representative way of voting must be allowed to occur.

The biggest crime of the U.N. is to legitimize dictatorships. This must stop. A dictatorship is NOT the equal to a representative form of government.

Will it be painful? Yes. Might a war occur because this is done? Yes. Is it the right thing to do? Yes.

posted on Nov, 19 2004 @ 07:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by IronDogg
I wonder who is likely to replace ol Kofi? Bill Clinton? Jean Chretien? Chirac? Nelson Mandela? Colin Powell? lol

Hopefully not Chirac. He is at the center of the Oil For Food scandal, and replacing Annan with him is just maintaining the status quo of corruption in the UN.

posted on Nov, 19 2004 @ 07:21 AM
link   
I've been hearing rumors for a long time that Bill Clinton plans to be the next head of the UN... hopefully he could get all these accusations in the UN about sexual activities under control.

posted on Nov, 19 2004 @ 07:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by IronDogg

The UN thought they had Annan's successor already lined up but Nobel peace prize recipient Yasser Arafat passed away and their 2nd choice, Saddam Hussein has some legal trouble....

There is always Qaddafi or Castro (if he can rebound from his shattered glass hip)

Seriously though, this is a major crisis time for the UN, they would have to find someone who can come in and clean up this cesspool, (reminds me of the Keitel character in Pulp Fiction who cleans up the mess made by Travolta's character.) This person wouldn't be there for long, by the time he/she was finished cleaning house, the enemy list would be too long for he/she to feel safe in that position.

One thing I am sure of is the replacement will not be an American.

Hopefullly the UN can return to the good humanitarian/health type work and stop looking to line their own pockets, chances are that this organization is in "meltdown status".

How about an Austrian immigrant.....Former Bodybuilding Champion.........Terminator.......?

posted on Nov, 19 2004 @ 07:36 AM
link   
EXCELLENT!!!!!!! A no confidence vote against Annan is
a GREAT first step. Then comes prosecution!!!

Someone mentioned Bill Clinton as a replacement. I
watched the dedication of his Library yesterday.
Bill Clinton didn't look good. I don't think he's recovered
enough from his surgery to be able to be in charge of
the U.N. The poor guy looked OLD, tired, ... almost
uninterested in what was going on. (Hillary and Chelsea
looked like they wanted to scratch out G.W.'s eyes.)

The world would like Bill Clinton in that position, but I
really don't think he has it left in him to be able to take
charge of the U.N.

posted on Nov, 19 2004 @ 07:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by MrNice
The U.N. serves no purpose any more.

I agree with you 100%. The only purpose the U.N.
serves is to house corruption on a major scale, and
to hide behind the U.N. logo while doing it. It's
time to dump the U.N. The $$$ America saves on
dumping the U.N. (and kicking it out of OUR country)
would be better used elsewhere in America -
(healthcare, education, infrastructure ....)

posted on Nov, 19 2004 @ 08:05 AM
link   
Its about time they get rid of that guy. Actually, why stop with Kofi? Why not just get rid of the whole set-up

posted on Nov, 19 2004 @ 08:17 AM
link   
I think the UN does have a few bright spots like UNESCO. However, the U.S. government want the U.N. to continue. If they wanted to get rid of it, all they would have to do is not contribute the 20% of the oeprating budget and if Japan joined in with its 22% thats about it.

posted on Nov, 19 2004 @ 09:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by lockheed
I've been hearing rumors for a long time that Bill Clinton plans to be the next head of the UN... hopefully he could get all these accusations in the UN about sexual activities under control.

There's got to be a joke in there somewhere - just the thought of sex scandals and CLinton puts a grin on my face...

posted on Nov, 19 2004 @ 11:07 AM
link   
This just in John Kerry has decided to run for Head of the UN. Campaign details to follow..

Yeah right what a farse that would be.

posted on Nov, 20 2004 @ 10:25 AM
link   
I have started researching some of the oil voucher recipients. The first is ADDAX & ORYX Group - Swiss-French connections.

The fact that the UNDP (United Nations Development Program) has apparently been acting as consultant to the oil majors in the development of oil fields in Africa - in particular Nigeria - and ADDAX has about 90% of the petroleum production in Nigeria now...kind of makes you go hmmmm.

www.thedivinesibyl.com...

posted on Nov, 20 2004 @ 10:32 AM
link   
I guess they have no choice but to get Annan out if they want to fix the reputation of the UN, I wonder who is going to fill his place.

posted on Nov, 20 2004 @ 10:39 AM
link   
If Cheny can do it Clinton can do it, after all he has the best medical attention our money can buy him

www.worldnetdaily.com...

posted on Nov, 20 2004 @ 10:43 AM
link   
I thought that the oil drilling in the Niger Valley was done by the Chevron-Texaco.

new topics

top topics

join