It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

India- US Diplomatic Crisis after Indian female diplomat arrested and strip searched

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 17 2013 @ 04:03 AM
link   
Why the hell would U.S start a problem with a country who is friendly ?

Indian Diplomat arrested and stripped

This is in grave violation of the Vienna Convention. United States authorities knew she was a diplomat and yet they deliberately humiliated her. The US is well aware of the legal status of the case with the domestic help which was being pursued in a court of law in India. In fact, India had sought US' help in the case. Yet, the deliberate insult,

India asks all US diplomats to hand over their ID's

India has taken an exceptionally strong stand over the public arrest, strip search and ill-treatment meted out to Deputy Consul General Devyani Khobragade in the United States of America by New York police. Signalling that benefits of all US consulates in India will be reviewed, sources say all US diplomats in India have been asked to hand over their identity cards that given them diplomatic benefits.

so far the following has been done by India

1. India has asked US embassy to lift all barricades infront of US embassy here.
2. India banned all the import clearence for US embassy including food, wine etc.
3. India asked for salary details for all indian staffs working in US embassy.
4. All US diplomates have to follow procedures same as any common man to take a flight to USA.
5. All IDs issued to american diplomats have been withdrawn means they can be arrested immediately if they do any crime.

Arrest same sex companions of US diplomats in India, says opposition leader

My suggestion to the Government of India is, the media has reported that we have issued visas to a number of US diplomats' companions. 'Companions' means that they are of the same sex. Now, after the Supreme Court ruling, it is completely illegal in our country. Just as paying less wages was illegal in the US. So, why doesn't the government of India go ahead and arrest all of them

Well....this was unexpected ..... Wrong time to take on India diplomatically , elections are coming up Indian politicians will put an unusually strong stand now for a few months... Handcuffing her in front her kids and placing her with drug addicts and murders :

edit on 17-12-2013 by maddy21 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 17 2013 @ 04:24 AM
link   
reply to post by maddy21

From the news article -

The 39-year-old diplomat, a 1999-batch Indian Foreign Service (IFS) officer, was on her way to drop her two children to school when she was stopped by police and handcuffed in full public view.

Shocked, Dr Khobragade protested immediately saying she was a diplomat and enjoyed immunity.

But there was worse in store. She was handcuffed, taken to a police station where she was stripped and searched.

Crude treatment it seems, yes, but I haven't found the reason why she was stopped by police. The article doesn't say what she was doing that caused her to get stopped and handcuffed.

There's just too much information missing at the moment. Was she just speeding, ran a stop sign, etc....? And when she claimed immunity, did she start yelling, resisting, etc....?

If she didn't do anything wrong, then of course there is a problem. The article just leaves out some critical information at the moment.

edit on 17-12-2013 by buni11687 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 17 2013 @ 04:32 AM
link   
reply to post by buni11687

She has been accused of lying on the visa application for an Indian national who worked at her home from November 2012 to June 2013 for less than four dollars an hour.

India has argued that the US has violated Article 41 of the Vienna Convention which states that a diplomat will only be arrested for a grave crime, and even if arrested, all courtesies will be extended to the diplomat.

posted on Dec, 17 2013 @ 04:33 AM
link   
I too would like to know ..
a) what she did
and
b) did they know she was a diplomat?

Saying it may not be adequate or anyone could simply say it.

posted on Dec, 17 2013 @ 04:34 AM
link   
reply to post by maddy21

The first time, a diplomat's young daughter was arrested and locked up on false charges. India protested but the feeble objection appeared to have further emboldened the US.

But this time, India refuses to take it lying down.

Lok Sabha Speaker Meira Kumar, who is a former IFS officer, on Monday refused to meet a bipartisan US Congressional delegation.

"The speaker was extremely angry not because Dr Khobragade is a Dalit, but because the US did this to a woman diplomat, a mother of two. She is impressed by the manner in which Dr Khobragade handled herself with dignity. But as a former diplomat and a woman, Meira Kumar wanted to send a message," a source in Parliament said.

Well based on the story it looks like N.Y. P.D. screwed up not just once but this is the second time.. I think I have posted this before but I know a few guys who used to go to the states every year to play golf and take a holiday. They have all chosen different holiday destinations due to TSA, Immigration, and the lack welcome to America they get from authorities.

Good for India if they put the pressure right back in the U.S. face..

International agreements are exactly that, agreements of conduct under a variety of circumstances dealing with diplomats. N.Y. P.D. is not known for their intelligence to begin with but it would appear they messed up ..wrong time, wrong person...

edit on 17-12-2013 by 727Sky because: ed

posted on Dec, 17 2013 @ 04:39 AM
link   
reply to post by maddy21

Not enough data yet. Was this done by an Barney Fife cop or two, or did the U.S. government know the arrest and strip search were going on. All in all, the U.S. will be bending over backward to placate India now, and this will be forgotten in a few weeks with India millions of dollars richer in windfall placate-money.

posted on Dec, 17 2013 @ 04:43 AM
link   
reply to post by Aleister

U.S govt. was well aware , the diplomat during the arrest did state she was a diplomat .. This is more or less a deliberate attempt at humiliation .. no matter what the crime she committed a diplomat cannot be treated in such a way . If a US diplomat can murder two innocent people in Pakistan and get away with it....this is nothing
I doubt US will try to blame India ... there are some massive defense deals on the cards.. US will not risk it

posted on Dec, 17 2013 @ 04:52 AM
link   

OccamsRazor04
a) what she did
and

Red license plate and very hard to miss, clearly labeled, "diplomatic passport".

Anytime someone states they are a diplomat it's usually wise to verify their claim before strip searching them (if they don't have the normal ID on them, which I doubt they didn't).

Crimes by diplomats are usually investigated by certain people in certain agencies.

posted on Dec, 17 2013 @ 04:54 AM
link   

727Sky
International agreements are exactly that, agreements of conduct under a variety of circumstances dealing with diplomats. N.Y. P.D. is not known for their intelligence to begin with but it would appear they messed up ..wrong time, wrong person...

I'm not going to defend the N.Y.P.D. but are you aware of just how often foreign diplomats abuse their status especially in NY? I've read someplace that their unpaid parking tickets alone run into a fairly staggering amount of money the City could actually use,

Diplomatic immunity is abused all the time especially in NY, Simply because of the UN headquarters location.

As far as the story goes, I'm sure the N.Y.P.D. is at fault but lets not assume foreign diplomats are all innocents.

posted on Dec, 17 2013 @ 05:02 AM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

You are right there

Dozens of Russian diplomats and their spouses scammed Medicaid out of $1.5 million in nearly decade long scheme: feds - NY Daily News

Russian diplomats, their spouses living in New York City and their associates bilked American taxpayers out of $1.5 million in a Medicaid fraud scheme that lasted for nearly a decade, the feds said Thursday.

None of the defendants are in custody, thanks to diplomatic immunity, although 11 still reside in the U.S. and six still represent Russia here.

posted on Dec, 17 2013 @ 05:03 AM
link   

boncho

OccamsRazor04
a) what she did
and

Red license plate and very hard to miss, clearly labeled, "diplomatic passport".

Anytime someone states they are a diplomat it's usually wise to verify their claim before strip searching them (if they don't have the normal ID on them, which I doubt they didn't).

Crimes by diplomats are usually investigated by certain people in certain agencies.

Yes I do find it very unlikely they did not know .. especially if the crime someone posted was the crime she was arrested for.

Not smart.

edit on 17-12-2013 by OccamsRazor04 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 17 2013 @ 05:12 AM
link   
Not the first time diplomatic immunity had been ignored in the US...

posted on Dec, 17 2013 @ 05:36 AM
link   

SLAYER69

727Sky

I'm not going to defend the N.Y.P.D. but are you aware of just how often foreign diplomats abuse their status especially in NY? I've read someplace that their unpaid parking tickets alone run into a fairly staggering amount of money the City could actually use,

Diplomatic immunity is abused all the time especially in NY, Simply because of the UN headquarters location.

As far as the story goes, I'm sure the N.Y.P.D. is at fault but lets not assume foreign diplomats are all innocents.

You will get no argument from me about diplomatic abuse to include drug running, slavery (Saudi diplomat), and all sorts of unacceptable western behavior. However there are policies and procedures for these acts and the procedures were not followed in this case according to the article.

I don't remember the Russian female spy a few years ago complaining about a strip search (maybe she liked it) for all I know? Like I said in my original posting I hope India takes this a far as they can and it is determined by whose authority the P.D. did the deed. I for one am sick of reading about cops who are supposed to uphold the laws of the land being the very ones who break them.

Someone else said they were accused of paying domestic help $4 an hour... OK if the Domestic help lives in the house and has free food how much do you think they should make? I could run an add for domestic help around here with free room and board with a monthly paycheck of $200 and have a long line of applicants both young and old. Even in the states you might be surprised what you can get for $500 a month with the economy in certain areas as it is, especially if you have a decent house for them to live in. Yep N.Y. is losing millions a year on parking tickets.. Maybe they should have places to park that do not cost ???,??? a year to lease....instead of worrying about the size of your fountain drink....

posted on Dec, 17 2013 @ 05:51 AM
link   

727Sky

Someone else said they were accused of paying domestic help $4 an hour... OK if the Domestic help lives in the house and has free food how much do you think they should make? I could run an add for domestic help around here with free room and board with a monthly paycheck of $200 and have a long line of applicants both young and old. Even in the states you might be surprised what you can get for $500 a month with the economy in certain areas as it is, especially if you have a decent house for them to live in.

This makes it right to pay somebody below the Minimum wage? Could you live on that? Would you even want to? Also, it's not like Diplomats are strapped for cash.

Yep N.Y. is losing millions a year on parking tickets.. Maybe they should have places to park that do not cost ???,??? a year to lease....instead of worrying about the size of your fountain drink....

I don't drink fountain drinks but that's neither here nor there. It's NY, I've only visited there about a half dozen times in my life but even I know that parking is going to be a pain in the backside. You'd think those that live there would know this.

posted on Dec, 17 2013 @ 05:57 AM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

That maid signed an agreement that she will be getting those wages which she was provided. She basically agreed to it in India, it was under that condition she was allowed to go to the U.S . She is being payed Rs.30,000, which is a ridiculously high amount considering Indian standards and also considering she does not have to many expenses in U.S .

-News coming in that all the Barricades and special protection provided for US embassies has been withdrawn which was specially placed since 9/11
-All air port passes and special privileges for US diplomats withdrawn

posted on Dec, 17 2013 @ 05:58 AM
link   
reply to post by maddy21

Fairs fair...publicly arrest, handcuff and then take to the station and strip search EVERY American diplomat currently in and about to enter or leave India.

Sauce for the Goose is sauce for the Gander too.

I would have sent that order to all of India's police and airport staff as the very first order of business, then sent protests to the US afterwards.

See how the US diplomats enjoy the rough and degrading treatment.

posted on Dec, 17 2013 @ 06:04 AM
link   
Predicted outcome of moves by India

--All US diplomats must submit details of salaries paid to their servants, maids, gardeners and other domestic servants to the Indian authorities.

Since the US embassy is considered US soil, it expects that all indian workers have been paid as per US labour laws. [basically, this would probably incriminate every US official in india]

--All import clearances given to US diplomats for importing fine food, wine and other costly items, as exemptions under customs duty rules, stand revoked.

Cost of US budget for maintaining US officials in india increased 3 folds

--All US diplomats working in consulates across India have been asked to submit their IDs to Indian authorities.

Can't leave the country

posted on Dec, 17 2013 @ 06:10 AM
link   
reply to post by MysterX

With the difference being this was NY, not the US that did this. So that would be pretty stupid, and has nothing to do with the goose or the gander, or sauce.

posted on Dec, 17 2013 @ 06:14 AM
link   

OccamsRazor04
reply to post by MysterX

With the difference being this was NY, not the US that did this. So that would be pretty stupid, and has nothing to do with the goose or the gander, or sauce.

New York IS in the US...i'm not sure i follow what you meant there..

Sauce and goose and gander is an idiom..meaning what's right for one, is just as right for another.

Or

If it's right to do it to her, it's just as right to do it to them.

But...you knew that..right?

posted on Dec, 17 2013 @ 07:34 AM
link   
I'm going to say that I agree with India's policy of taking away our diplomats immunity in India. This is not the first violation that the US has done to India's diplomats. Tit for Tat

The US is starting to think they do not have to follow the rules they expect others to follow. Of course that seems to happen when power goes to someone's head. I think that all countries should take note of this action. They will be next, the US is testing it's power.

If we keep doing this, a lot of countries will start to back Russia and China and their empires will take over. I guess the US does not pay attention to history at all, this is how all empires fall.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join