It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Officer arrested for slamming suspect's face/head into cinder block wall.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 16 2013 @ 06:18 PM
link   
Youtube link

Corrections Officer Charles Broaderick Arrested For Battery.

Broaderick said he slammed Duckworth’s head into the concrete wall because Duckworth spit at officers. However, after carefully reviewing the video, it appears Duckworth had fuzz/hair or something in his mouth he was tying to clear and did not actually spit at officers.

At one point in the video Broaderick is heard saying, “I guess I have to write a report now.” Broaderick claims Duckworth was “acting up”, but in the video Duckworth can be heard telling one of the officers that he is a gentleman. It wasn’t until after Duckworth has his head bashed against the wall he is heard using derogatory language toward the officers.

They are referring to him as a correction's officer but the uniform looks more official, possibly a sheriff's deputy?

Do COs usually administer breathalyzers?

Lets say that the suspect did spit at the person standing in front of him, would the assault by the officer have then been justified? I'd have to say no.

Not sure if it went to the SCOTUS but somewhere in the process (not sure if still valid) it was ruled that spitting is a simple assault but the spit would actually have to connect with its "victim".

When the female asks where he's bleeding from, the assailant responds, "his head here when he hit the wall"...

edit on 16-12-2013 by gladtobehere because: wording

posted on Dec, 16 2013 @ 06:32 PM
link   
Wow! Really??

I'm never sure what these threads may hold...but I'm absolutely horrified by that. I don't care if they considered spitting to be felony assault if he'd been carrying an infectious disease. You still don't risk braining a guy against a cinder block wall.

That goes beyond what I think of as profound anger management issues. I'd be very interested in looking over that man's whole history in that position. He seemed just a little TOO comfortable with the damage he inflicted there, and didn't seem to think much either way. Blood on the wall?? That confirms what I thought when my stomach jumped on hearing the impact. Like a melon dropping.

I wouldn't mind seeing Deputy Feelgood being an inmate in his own facility. He works intake? Well... I'm sure there won't be any introductions needed then. They'll all know each other on the other side of the locked doors. (Force for cause is one thing, even extreme force ...for cause. That was just outright violent abuse of a prisoner, IMO)

posted on Dec, 16 2013 @ 06:34 PM
link   
reply to post by gladtobehere

Was this guy just booked? If so they are detention officers not corrections officers. Seems like splitting hairs, I know, but typically when you get drunk guys coming in they are often times given a secondary breathalyzer. But in my experience that test was administered by 1. The arresting police or deputy officer, or 2. A Detention Officer who was also a licensed peace officer.

My uniform looked like theirs, only tan back in the day so I imagine they are probably what the news is saying they are, albeit local jail guards as opposed to actual prison guards.

At any rate Im glad the Officer got charged. A lot jail guards and prison guards are wired tighter than police, I have seen my fair share of abuse and simple neglect.

edit on 16-12-2013 by snowen20 because: because I just woke up, and I can't type.

posted on Dec, 16 2013 @ 06:39 PM
link   

They look like jailers to me.

posted on Dec, 16 2013 @ 06:40 PM
link   

The fact that this officer is even being charged is rare. It must be because they were unable to delete the video quickly as it wasn't a reporter or eyewitness recording.

I have listened to many horror stories in the area where I live of treatment by officers. There's rarely recourse. I guess this time there was just no denying the abuse so they had to file charges.

posted on Dec, 16 2013 @ 06:45 PM
link   
The state will then pass a law to require expensive padding be put in at head level in booking areas...

Instead of hiring respectable, intelligent officers.
edit on 16-12-2013 by abeverage because: of taxpayer money at work

posted on Dec, 16 2013 @ 06:55 PM
link   

abeverage
The state will then pass a law to require expensive padding be put in at head level in booking areas...

Try and find people to do that job. It's dirty and thankless.

posted on Dec, 16 2013 @ 06:59 PM
link   

I watched the video several times and personally, I don't think the guy spit!

It looked to me like either the guy did a "pfffth" or was trying to get a hair out of his mouth.

Usually when someone intentionally spits at someone, they take aim at the target.

The guys head was down when he "supposedly spit" at the officer who appeared to have already walked away.

Am I wrong?

Nurse ~ Where is he bleeding from?

Officer ~ His head here, when he hit the wall.

edit on 16-12-2013 by MrLimpet because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 16 2013 @ 07:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Restricted

Well in the area I live it pays around 65k a year and hires people with a high school education. For the amount of pay officers get they should have no problem finding suitable workers that don't batter and murder people.

Lots of jobs are hard and thankless that pay minimum wage. For the amount police force pays there are loads of people out there who have satisfactory levels of integrity that would do the same job for that amount of pay.

edit on 16-12-2013 by OrphanApology because: e

posted on Dec, 16 2013 @ 07:09 PM
link   
The guys a dep at the county jail in Ocala Florida. Most of the deputies that work that area, are just out if high school, without a clue. Their immature, asswipes. that are alot of times, bigger criminals, than the ones they help to process. Almost anyone can work there. Prisons/jails is big business in the area, hiring alot of idiots,that should be jailed.

posted on Dec, 16 2013 @ 07:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Restricted

Try not slamming people's heads into a concrete wall and maybe you'll get a thanks.

It's not hard to say thank you to someone, even an officer. I know I thank them when it's warranted, but I'm always polite. I'd hate to have an overly aggressively officer misread my actions and then slam my head into a wall. But in this case, even being polite he still got his head smashed.

Are any law enforcement jobs anywhere in the US lacking recruits? Not in my neck of the woods.
edit on 16-12-2013 by Swills because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 16 2013 @ 07:24 PM
link   

Restricted

abeverage

Try and find people to do that job. It's dirty and thankless.

There's lots of dirty and thankless jobs.
That's no excuse for assaulting anyone, let along someone intoxicated and handcuffed.
Clearly this man can't handle the stress of his position and needs to find other employment.

posted on Dec, 16 2013 @ 07:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Asktheanimals

He agrees.

posted on Dec, 16 2013 @ 07:46 PM
link   
reply to post by OrphanApology

There is no adequate compensation for being spat on and showered in piss and crap. Obviously this guy has an attitude problem and I don't condone his behavior.

All I'm saying is I know what the job is like and it's more disgusting and psychologically damaging than you can imagine.

posted on Dec, 16 2013 @ 09:28 PM
link   
This type of stuff makes me sick but I'm glad at least the CO is getting arrested. Truth is it happens all the time, even to kids in private juvenile institutions. The judicial and correctional system is so #ed up and corrupt it's sickening and makes me want to jet out of this country, I've seen it first hand and strongly believe cops and COs are selected psychopaths and sociopaths. Hope that guy gets what's coming he doesn't have any remorse the only way to deal with these people is to give them their own medicine.

Quick story of my own experience.. When I was in Juvi as a teen the COs would beat the # out of kids all the time. They called them "level 5 restraints" and I saw kids get teeth knocked out and jaws broken from having their faces slammed into ends of furniture, all for talking back or making a sudden movement. When we tried to write a "grievance form" the staff would laugh at us and encourage us, because it wasn't actually going anywhere and would be reviewed by only them. No state oversight whatsoever.. This was Elmore "Academy" in Iowa that place is disgusting and needs to get shut down.

new topics

top topics

join