It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New "Smart Rifle", you knew it was coming!

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 16 2013 @ 09:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Gothar

G,day mate. very cool system but it will never sell in australia.
2 reasons.
1. it wont skin and gut the game.
2. no bottle opener. lol

posted on Dec, 16 2013 @ 10:50 PM
link   
The perfect thing for shooting down million dollar drones,
flying their #ing predatory asses over my country.

Then with the video I can claim my $100.00 purse from
Deer Trail, Colorado.

I wonder if they have a bag limit on drones.

Drone strikes were halted in November 2011 after NATO forces killed 24 Pakistani soldiers in the Salala incident

wikipedia / salala incident

If they are not safe enough for Pakistan,
they are definitely not safe enough for US airspace.

To hell with drones.

As to the specious reasoning that shooting one down constitutes a threat to civilian facilities...
The day that drone surveillance feeds are the property of the civilians and WE get to
use them to spy on Corporations and Government is the day I will give a care.

Till then,
they should be terminated with extreme prejudice.

By jamming,
flying kites,
or sling shots,
anything.

It is reprehensible all the surveillance in this country,
and NONE of it is used to help the citizens.
The chit is always classified, or need-to-know, so it's a tool of interests, and powerful interests only.

Well I have a powerful interest.

All unmanned cameras should be destroyed.
Whether they are at a traffic intersection,
or flying over my back yard.

Death to the Drones!

Mike Grouchy
edit on 16-12-2013 by mikegrouchy because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 17 2013 @ 12:04 AM
link   
Santa I been really really really good this year...so please please please lemme wake up on Christmas morning and find you under my tiny lil Charlie Brown tree

posted on Dec, 20 2013 @ 04:07 PM
link   
reply to post by zilebeliveunknown

when i opened this thread it was nothing but a title.

posted on Dec, 20 2013 @ 04:19 PM
link   
Here you go a little bit more about this...

Enjoy..

posted on Dec, 21 2013 @ 12:37 AM
link   
reply to post by tsurfer2000h

I see the ability to purchase and own this 'tech' as a springboard to eliminate the right to own a rifle.

Mark my words.

posted on Jan, 17 2014 @ 09:02 PM
link   

It also scares the crap out of me. Think about it. Any amateur with about 20,000 g's and a funny twitch can become a lethal sniper like the pro's with no training. This rifle literally needs you to hold it steady and match shapes. My 4 yr old is half way there. The website claims to have all kinds of checks and balances in place to prevent the insane or underage from purchasing this rifle, buuuuuuuuuut if it smells like BS, and looks like BS, then it's probably.....

And watch, in a few years (if it hasn't happened already) somebody will go on YouTube and show how to make an effective eqivalent with a laser range finder, parts from a Kinect, R/C hobby gyros, an Arduino, some bits of freely given software code, and an angled piece of flat glass used to reflect a small LED display screen placed under a focusing lens. And the kit-bash scope will be less than 1/20th the price and without restrictions on who can have it. Calibration might be simple as taking two or three consistent test shots at known distances to build a ballistic profile for whatever it's attached to. Of course they'll demo with something seemingly harmless like paint-ball or nerf darts, but for all intents and purposes...

This sentry gun gets pretty close, but not as portable and is hardpoint mounted so stabilization adjustments from being hand-held isn't a big problem.

Of course anyone that knows technology well enough knows what is possible (as with any tool), and the technology is cheap and readily available right now. It's just a matter of figuring out how to put it together. The weapon system these guys have here is only expensive because they are the first.

posted on Jan, 17 2014 @ 11:54 PM
link   
You know as much as this technology scares people... And yes it kinda gives me the willies too!

I still cannot mentally justify regulating systems like this, because I know history and I also understand how tenuous a free peoples' ability to resist tyranny really is.

One thing that is NEVER talked about anymore in junior high and High school history classes on the American revolution is that the ONE thing that kept the American revolution from ending before it started was the Kentucky Rifle.

Now if you do your research you find that not only did the colonists have an arm that was equivalent to what the world's militaries were using at the time, but in fact the colonists were armed with SUPERIOR firearms! And even with these superior arms and many other advantages we no longer possess they spent most of the war 1 disaster from collapse.

To me things like tracking point and the INEVITABLE home brews and open source systems that take it even further even faster combined with Modern Sporting Rifles (You know those things the media tries to convince you are evil because they don't maintain an ergonomic profile and operating system that was obsolete a CENTURY AGO) is really the only hope the general public worldwide has of staving off tyranny WHEN the current group of people in power cross the line.

posted on Jan, 18 2014 @ 02:33 AM
link   

posted on Jan, 18 2014 @ 02:36 AM
link   
reply to post by Gothar

Scary but cool.

Nothing more to add.

posted on Jan, 23 2014 @ 09:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Gothar

Tracking Point was at SHOT Show the other week and they were letting people take a few shots with these. (I saw some videos, I didn't actually go to SHOT).

Here's a video of a guy picking up one for the first time and he's hitting targets at 1,200 meters I believe (I think, Im not 100% sure about that though). The guy next to him is holding the IPad looking video thing that's hooked up to the scope on the rifle. From the looks of it, these seem a little too easy to use. There's really no skill involved in shooting these.

edit on 23-1-2014 by buni11687 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 24 2014 @ 01:24 AM
link   
Consider the future evolution of this. Right now, this is an "add on" to a conventional rifle designed for human operation.

But that's like an early internal combustion engine in a horse-drawn carriage.

At some point it will be engineered into a unitary device, the iPhone-ization of riflery.

Certainly base defense and even infantry combat might be entirely different---the soldiers are carrying the iPads with comm picking up the infrared imagery from the microdrone superimposed on satellite photo. Combat will be easier than a video game, more like "click to highlight target". The target sets will be continuously tracked. When you press the red button the autonomous device will execute the action. If it's mounted on a robotic base, it might decide how to maneuver to complete its instructions. Or perhaps the grunts will just fart their units in the enemy's general direction, with the squad leader on his ipad tapping the targets. When the units are approximately pointing properly they fire. Grunts don't get a trigger, they are logistics.

It will be like the similar change from dumb iron aerial bombardment (takes skill and most miss) to JDAM and the like. In the 1st Gulf War there was a Vietnamese man in Baghdad who was also a veteran of the Vietnam war. He said that in Vietnam the US attempted to destroy a bridge hundreds of times and failed, but in Baghdad, the US destroyed them all on the first attack.

In this sort of modern warfare, if you are detected, and the enemy has delivery system and ammo, you're dead. Before it was just from high-cost aerial attack assets. What will change when the targeting revolution hits the ground?

posted on Jan, 24 2014 @ 01:45 AM
link   
reply to post by mbkennel

Consider the future evolution of this.

I also thought about what this tech will look like in say 10+ years. I really cant imagine at the moment how much improved this will be in another decade. From what Ive heard, the US military already bought more than a couple of these and they're doing their own thing with it now. Im sure they've already got ideas on how to improve/build off of this design.

Certainly base defense and even infantry combat might be entirely different---the soldiers are carrying the iPads with comm picking up the infrared imagery from the microdrone superimposed on satellite photo. Combat will be easier than a video game, more like "click to highlight target". The target sets will be continuously tracked.

They (the Tracking Point company) already are testing their AR platform of this system. They haven't really released any details on it yet, but im guessing it will be something a bit different, considering close-quarters combat. At the moment, I don't really see how the current system could be made into a probable close-quarters rifle, since you have a few seconds worth of manipulation before the gun will fire. (Find target in optic, hit tag button, hold down trigger while re-accessing the tagged target). Unless if there is a free-fire trigger in place (with a good close range optic built in that also uses the tracking system), and with the option of turning off/on the tracking point system, I don't really see how this will be a good replacement of current optics in close-quarters. Then again, they haven't released details on the AR platform version, so I'll probably be amazed when they actually release it.

posted on Jan, 24 2014 @ 02:39 AM
link   
I'll say it I guess.. I won't be impressed until this tech gets to the level of a real life aimbot...and can open my beer

edit on 24-1-2014 by SynchronousSnake because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 24 2014 @ 02:52 AM
link   
reply to post by Gothar

Not a bad idea. But IMO, it's not 'smart' technology, unless you can redirect the bullets in mid-flight. Probably another 20 years or so.

posted on Jan, 24 2014 @ 03:12 AM
link   

SynchronousSnake
I'll say it I guess.. I won't be impressed until this tech gets to the level of a real life aimbot...and can open my beer

edit on 24-1-2014 by SynchronousSnake because: (no reason given)

Well, Glock has already implemented the gun-beer opening tech (in 2 different ways).

unfortunately, the Makarov pistol was years ahead of Glock.

About the aimbot.....give it another decade or 2.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join