It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

51 Sailors from USS Ronald Reagan Suffering Thyroid Cancer, Leukemia, Brain Tumors After Participati

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 16 2013 @ 08:06 PM
link   
reply to post by solongandgoodnight

I dont believe in god...but im praying for those people...just in case one exists...how awful man..im a disabled vet myself but from nothing like that extreme....thx for the thread...poor bastards

posted on Dec, 16 2013 @ 08:20 PM
link   

That's not possible because as Ann Coulter told us radiation is actually good for you. We should let all the reactors melt down so that we can all enjoy improved health.

Well I'd like one of these to play with, but nowadays I'd probably have the NSA surrounding my house with a team of radiation suit protected mobsters, and then get waterboarded and end up at Guantanamo. How times change.
Zimmer Radon Generator
www.orau.org...

Radioactive water makes old men feel young - - - " peps em up," said Zimmer. "It's not a cure-all but it does remarkable things. It tones up the system, reduces high blood pressure, and softens harding [sic] arteries". . . Zimmer, who is 64, said he doesn't feel a day over 44. He has the appearance and vigor of a man of middle age.

Maybe 'they' just don't want people feeling good, and having less illness?

posted on Dec, 16 2013 @ 08:47 PM
link   

Here we are with the old ,deny, deny, deny, why is it always this way ??

The lie's abound while the truth is no where to be found. The only thing the government learned from agent orange was how better to lie and cover it up.

posted on Dec, 16 2013 @ 09:26 PM
link   
reply to post by SirMike

Yes. It took 5 years for it to start showing up in Chernobyl, but if you have been following this story heightened levels of thyroid cancers have already started showing up in the japanese population and these sailors where out at sea which is where most of the plume went. Also the plant operator of Fukushima died of Oesophageal cancer in July but they said it had no connection to the enormous amounts of radiation he was exposed to. Also another worker at Fukushima died of leukemia and TEPCO also claimed there was no relation. Now Im not saying these deaths were defiantly cause by their exposure but Im not ignorant enough to say that they we definitely were not nor ignorant enough to call people who were exposed to high doses of external and internal contamination and horrible living conditions at that ambulance chasers because they are now suffering negative health effects. Also I don't think you can just claim to have Thyroid cancer or Leukemia and get a check from the gov. Im pretty sure they are going to want proof.
edit on 16-12-2013 by BGTM90 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 16 2013 @ 09:37 PM
link   

Silcone Synapse
reply to post by marg6043

There is no way to make sense of todays world Marg,unless you look at it upside down.
Then it makes sense-we live in a weird dimension where everything nasty and bad is actually good.

According to our hive-We have to chuck our previous moral notions out the window,and say wow the world is now backwards.

Then we have to grab back our morals before they float away,and rectify the craziness.

Sorry,this may sound insane.Maybe not my best post.

Maybe not your best post but one of the most straightforward this guy's read through. Thanks... for however backwards things seem, it means most of our compasses are still working.

I add my two cents here--
I can SWEAR I read somewhere along the ME tool-up that the Reagan was stalled from joining the 5th Fleet because of the Fukishima detail, putting him O.ut O.f S.ervice for months.

I will dig deep for a link to this claim, could also swear I downloaded the article anyway. I pray it's still there or my butt's toast.

As I remember it only for now--
It seems the Reagan was deemed well shielded enough, externally and in its more modern internal design to steam through the plume at the three miles offshore without incident.
Proved apparently wrong, the radiation levels (not even measured at the time) not only were high enough afterward to contaminate the outer hull and compromise the crew's safety--
the obvious latter from this OP-- but also caused malfunctions in the more sensitive onboard instrumentation. At that high a level of theta and gamma, their collective gander was smoking from only a day or so of station holding. Q: Were they just passing through? fingers crossed.

I don't fearmonger, it's not my style. And I have a good enough memory of major alternative news hits like this, that disappear by a good Web scrub making it seem too bad to be false.
And another call of BS would be justified, because nobody short of God's security clearance could get a YouTube strip of an almost spanking new carrier up on the slats-- even for six months at a time.

However:
Consider the fact we're pulling terminally sick seafood out of local Northern Pacific coast water, and that's about 4000 miles away... now we get four miles away from the source of the plume and it's no wonder the Reagan was OOS for that long a year and a half ago. "Where'd 'e go?"
Conj: getting the hull scrubbed and internally refitted?
edit on 16-12-2013 by derfreebie because: extrenally means a very tough skin, wish I had one...

posted on Dec, 16 2013 @ 11:22 PM
link   
ENEnews reported on this (minus the contaminated drinking water) back over a year ago now, I think. They posted a video taken by someone on board showing the sailors joking about their mission and basically fooling around, and IIRC, not wanting to wear protective equipment. The guy taking the video was upset at their attitude towards the radiation threat.

Meanwhile, back at home, the New York City Health Department tumor board is several years behind in reporting cancer occurrences, post 9-11... We'll see the same thing there, although the radioactive (and other toxins) exposure from that were nowhere near as high as on the Reagan.

If some of you are having trouble believing that the military would willingly expose personnel to this, think back of the videos taken during the nuclear testing; they had people out in the open, marching towards the mushroom cloud a few minutes after the blast effect went through, just to see what the health effects were later on.

posted on Dec, 17 2013 @ 12:56 AM
link   
Well, since these people get a legitimate opportunity to be recognized, I wonder if they'll be quietly ignored, or will their sacrifices be addressed in a super public display?

I mean, it's not like the US has been the greatest at taking care of its vets, you know?

If the US is willing to address the medical issues of those aboard the USS Reagan, then there will have to be a statement regarding the magnitude of danger that the world will face once containment is no longer possible. (But just between us, I don't think any amount of containment of radio-active water will save a thing)

At least this is being covered and not covered up!

posted on Dec, 17 2013 @ 01:07 AM
link   
The Camp Lejeune marine corp base was also found to have supplied toxic drinking water to residents (until 85). I lived there as a kid so was surprised to find this out just this last week. Lots of deaths from leukemia and evidently some bad consequences for people years later. Congress evidently passed a bill to help people who have suffered from this so I bet they will with these guys too. But....if these guys need to get the help how much red tape will they have to go through? It will likely be so stressful and drawn out they will die before receiving assistance.

You would think "at minimum" those who serve our Country have a safe environment. How incredibly sad this story is.

posted on Dec, 17 2013 @ 03:10 AM
link   

For any number of reasons I wouldn't be surprised if what is being reported and what the sailors' lawsuit claims is true, but wouldn't the desalinization involve boiling off and then condensing the H20, which would then be nearly pure? Or is the desalinization done by some osmosis system, which isn't as thorough? Any navy folks here who would know the specifics?

I can still imagine that there would be radiation in the air from the burning fuel rods that would also cause the effects cited, and if the personnel were indeed getting in the ocean to help survivors that would also explain the radiation effects.

Not surprised at all that this is getting next to nil news coverage -- just look at the lack of news coverage of depleted-uranium related illnesses in troops coming back from Iraq, and in the Iraqis themselves.

Excellent post, OP. [two thumbs up]

posted on Dec, 17 2013 @ 03:18 AM
link   

wrkn4livn
First off, it sounds a bit sensational.
No other ships reporting this? Carriers don't travel alone. There are 20+ ships traveling with a carrier and they are the only ship reporting illnesses? Has to be fake. Now if other ships in the group start reporting issues, then there might be something to it.
edit on 16-12-2013 by wrkn4livn because: (no reason given)

If the contamination came from helicopters returning, which had flown through the radiation cloud, then I wouldn't be surprised that most of the illnesses are linked with the carrier, which had all the helicopters. Also personnel on a carrier will be spending a lot more time on deck than sailors on most other vessels. Also, the carrier has the most personnel, so statistically speaking it would show the most cases of radiation-related illness, and thus create a "critical mass" of people in particular community who would realize that something was up, i.e. a bunch of them are getting sick.

posted on Dec, 17 2013 @ 03:34 AM
link   
At first I almost passed over this thread, until I saw something about the USS Reagan's desalinated water being contaminated. So I tuned in.

I have spent several hours looking through various bits and pieces of information relating to this topic. I had to convince myself one way or the other whether I believe there is a link between Fukushima and the serious ailments of former members of the USS Reagan's crew.

I am convinced that there is a link.
From what I can ascertain, the US Navy's involvement with the immediate aftermath of Fukushima was one giant super-aircraft-carrier sized cluster frack! There are several articles from the time period that pretty much give the US Government's canned description of events. But some of the other articles fill in the blanks as to what was really happening.

MSM Coverage at start of Operation Tomodachi
Military Times (March 2011)
CBS News (March 2011)
ABC News (March 2011)

Wikipedia's account of Operation Tomodachi Note that the Wikipedia entry indicates that USS Reagan was already scheduled for its massive year-long overhaul in Bremerton, Washington in January 2012. Apparently it was announced in January 2011. I'd be interested in seeing that announcement... Otherwise that's a good way to hide the fact that they had to overhaul the carrier to get rid of all the radioactive contamination.

MSM Coverage of the ailing crew members and their legal action
San Francisco Bay Area Independent Media Center Interesting information and a nice picture of the crew decontaminating an aircraft.
UT Sandiego
Huffington Post

New Jersey News Room - Nice series of articles:
Part 1
Part 2
Part 3
Part 4
This series of articles provides a lot more detail about what unfolded during Operation Tomodachi. Part 2 of the series provides some interesting nuggets from transcripts of meetings and conference calls taking place back in Washington.

Captains announcements reveal much
Turner Radio Network Videos
I think the most important parts of this article are the videos at the bottom. This appears to be the voice of the Captain of the USS Reagan:

1. In the first video he's talking about the water system being repaired and back online. But the indication is that the potable water system was drained because contaminated water had already gotten into the distribution network. He then goes on to tell the crew not to use excessive water, and not to allow the water to run just to clean out any foul water from the pipe. Apparently because the system was drained and refilled, the crew had nothing to worry about, all of the water was fresh. The only problem with that assertion is that it is possible to drain a potable water system and not get all of the water out!

2. In the second video the Captain is telling the crew to prepare to secure the ventilation system as they headed back into the hot zone. It appears to me that this drill hasn't been actively practiced since the end of the Cold War. When they fist arrived and hit the first radioactive plume, they weren't prepared and some radioactive material infiltrated the ventilation system. This time he wanted to be prepared. So, my takeaway from this is that one of the most technologically advanced, and very expensive, pieces of equipment in the US military could be taken out by a dirty bomb!

In reading through all of these articles, I found confirmation for everything that the ATS Citizen ElohimJD wrote in this post as well as his follow-up posts. It's all running together in my head right now, but IIRC, that confirmation was from both official information and the anecdotal testimony of the victims of this incident.

Arrogance
I also gave particular attention to the opinions of the experts. Their arrogant pronouncements that Fukushima radiation exposure couldn't be the cause of these crew member's diseases, delivered with such certainty that they made me physically ill. The one theme that runs throughout most of what I've read is that this was a totally new type of operation for the Navy. Apparently some of their theories concerning radiation plumes were so far removed from reality, that in hindsight they are actually laughable. At this point, I give those theories about radiation sickness very little weight.

Registry
The DoD put together a registry of all of the US Military personnel and their families in Japan in order to track any radiation-related illnesses that may occur later in life. After assembling this massive amount of information, the DoD determined that their radiation contamination models showed that no one on the list could possibly have received enough exposure to cause any problems later in life. Then they quietly discarded the registry.

Pump Truck license and proof of insurance please
There was one humorous anecdote detailed in one of the New Jersey News Room's articles:

"After the explosion in Fukushima Daiichi Unit #4 the Japanese were not able to get enough water into the building to keep the spent fuel pool cool,” Lochbaum said. “So the US airlifted a concrete pumper truck all the way from Australia to an American naval base in the northern part of the island. And the Japanese would not let it leave the base because it wasn't licensed to travel on Japanese roads."
Well, first things first, I guess...

Malware
The OP's link to thenewsdoctors.com subjected my computer to a JS:Iframe-CFQ [Trj] attack. That's a pretty nasty piece of malware. In another thread, one of the ATS citizens was warning that they had encountered some drive-by class malware. And as another poster indicated earlier in this thread, they had encountered several more malware attacks while pursuing more information about the author of that story. Interesting coincidence....

Dex

posted on Dec, 17 2013 @ 04:15 AM
link   
My heart goes out to these sailors. I think it is absolutely disgusting, if true, that officers were given medications to help prevent thyroid problems, etc., and the men were left exposed to dangers they were unaware of.

That the Navy, of all the services, who go to war in floating cities with the capability of handling all manner of technological problems on site, should be unprepared for this kind of danger off the coast of Japan is a scandal.

They were probably using membranes of some kind to filter water by osmosis and should have been distilling, and testing residues, in order to obtain fresh water. I'm no expert in this stuff and am not sure if the water would have been pure that way but I'll bet it would have been better.

Fukushima is an international problem that the world's governments should be tackling without further procrastination.

posted on Dec, 17 2013 @ 05:42 AM
link   
Fukushima is irreversible .. there are radio active toxins that kill within twenty minutes and its getting much worse in 2014 . Radio active plumes will hit the east coast and tuna,well forget tuna fish . Don't eat fish from that region.Go start consuming iodine if you want to stay healthy.

If japan would have let Russia helping them with the experience they had when the chernobil reactor melted this whole thing wouldn't be less worse then it is now..

I tell ya their ain't going to be a happy 2014 for many of us it lts going to be the worst year to come...

It's so sad those guys have been betrayed. .. I hope they find some luck that will overcome all this madness

Peace
edit on 0b53America/ChicagoTue, 17 Dec 2013 05:45:53 -0600vAmerica/ChicagoTue, 17 Dec 2013 05:45:53 -06001 by 0bserver1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 17 2013 @ 06:38 AM
link   

Tusks
"Server not found"

Doesn't sound like acute radiation sickness.

I will doubt this story until there is some real documentation.

Radiation sickness would have left the sailors feeling lethargic, sunburn and bleeding from the gums, and their hair falling out.

I would say is it the result of poisoning. When that tsunami struck it knocked over all sorts of chemical containers, mixing up oils, chemicals, acids, alkalines, petrol tanks, then mixing them up together before returning them to the ocean. That would have been hazardous even without radiation.

posted on Dec, 17 2013 @ 06:50 AM
link   
reply to post by DexterRiley

Glad you didn't skip over it, you've got lots of good stuff in your post here.

posted on Dec, 17 2013 @ 07:06 AM
link   
Wow, I served in Japan on three ships up until 2000. The USS Independance (aircraft carrier, non-nuclear) the USS Dubuque and the USS Juneau.

Im not surprised they were right there to help when disaster struck but that seems a horrible lack of preperation. We would always go out of our way to help others. In fact we saved everyone on a ship on fire in the middle east puting our ship in danger doing so.

Danger was s part of the job, one time in particular it seemed sure I was about to die but I accepted it and stayed on station knowing that doing so put my life in jeapordy.

Accepting danger we know about is one thing but this is horible. Especially if officers were provided iodine, someone had to know of ghe danger and no one was prepared except officers somewhat. If true they definitely weren't any kindvof real leader, a true leader would get something for all their men or refuse anything and share their fate.

Hopefully they get the best possible treatment and hopefully it wont turn out to be more widespread. Although I doubt, everyone's body is different and some may not start to see affects for years.

posted on Dec, 17 2013 @ 08:09 AM
link   

This story seems a bit strange to me. After spending 20+ years in the Coast Guard I am aware of the training Navy and Coast Guard personal go through, concerning NBC (Nuclear-Biological-Chemical). The aircraft carrier certainly has NBC warning capabilities. If any amount was detected onboard the carrier, alarms would have sounded and appropriate actions would have taken place.
Since there was a radiation leak, air borne particles would have been detected and alarms would have sounded.

posted on Dec, 17 2013 @ 08:31 AM
link   

Disappearing links is a dead giveaway to a cover-up. Here's one from Al Jazeera. Also, long term effects and chronic disease from radiation exposure are NOT "acute radiation poisoning" - they're chronic. It's real but different. Duh. [Re: the poster who said it couldn't be.]

USS Ronald Reagan sailors report cancers after Fukushima rescue mission
by The Stream Team @ajamstream

Fifty-one crew members of the USS Ronald Reagan say they are suffering from a variety of cancers as a direct result of their involvement in Operation Tomodachi, a U.S. rescue mission in Fukushima after the nuclear disaster in March 2011. The affected sailors are suing Tokyo Electric Power Company (TEPCO), alleging that the utility mishandled the crisis and did not adequately warn the crew of the risk of participating in the earthquake relief efforts.

Crew members, many of whom are in their 20s, have been diagnosed with conditions including thyroid cancer, testicular cancer and leukemia. The Department of Defense says the Navy took "proactive measures" in order to "mitigate the levels of Fukushima-related contamination on U.S. Navy ships and aircraft” and that crew members were not exposed to dangerous radiation levels.

Charles Bonner, attorney for the sailors, says the radiation the USS Ronald Reagan crew was exposed to extended beyond the tasks of Operation Tomodachi. Deployed ships desalinate their own water, so crew members were unknowingly drinking, cooking with, and bathing in contaminated water due to the ship's close proximity to the disaster site, according to Bonner. The USS Reagan was ultimately informed of the contamination after a month of living approximately 10 miles offshore from the affected region.

The number of plaintiffs in the case could grow significantly as 150 additional crew members are currently being medically screened to join. ...

Radiation Exposure and Cancer

Ionizing radiation
Ionizing radiation has enough energy to knock electrons off of atoms or molecules. This is called ionization. Ionized molecules are unstable and quickly undergo chemical changes.

If ionizing radiation passes through a cell in the body, it can lead to mutations (changes) in the cell's DNA, the part of the cell that contains its genes (blueprints). This could contribute to cancer, or to the death of the cell. The amount of damage in the cell is related to the dose of radiation it receives. The damage takes place in only a fraction of a second, but other changes such as the beginning of cancer may take years to develop.

Types of ionizing radiation include x-rays, gamma rays, some high-energy UV rays, and particles given off by radioactive materials such as alpha particles and protons. These forms of radiation have different energy levels and can penetrate cells to different extents, but all are capable of causing ionization.

Types of cancer linked to ionizing radiation

Ionizing radiation increases the risk of certain types of cancer more than others.

The thyroid gland and bone marrow are particularly sensitive to radiation. Leukemia, a type of cancer that arises in the bone marrow, is the most common radiation-induced cancer. Leukemias may appear as early as a few years after radiation exposure.

Other types of cancer can also result from radiation exposure, although they may take longer to develop (usually at least 10 to 15 years). Some of the other cancers most strongly linked to radiation exposure in studies include:

Lung cancer
Skin cancer
Thyroid cancer
Multiple myeloma
Breast cancer
Stomach cancer
These are not necessarily the only cancer types that may be linked to radiation, however.

The types of cancer linked to radiation are also affected by the part of the body that is exposed. For example, people who get pelvic radiation therapy would not be expected to have higher rates of cancers in the head and neck because these areas weren't exposed to radiation.

Other factors may also play a role in how likely a person exposed to radiation is to develop cancer. Age is one such factor - children's growing bodies are more sensitive to radiation than adults. A person may also have gene changes that make their cells more vulnerable to radiation damage, which might in turn raise their risk more than in someone without these gene changes.

edit on 17/12/13 by soficrow because: expl

posted on Dec, 17 2013 @ 08:40 AM
link   

Asktheanimals
reply to post by MamaLeonne

Now if they knew there was a radiation leak about the Reagan that would have made a convenient way to shift the blame. Why was the Reagan chosen for this mission? Where was it stationed prior? Wouldn't a smaller vessel capable of air rescue using choppers have been a better choice?

That's an interesting angle but would need some hard evidence to prove it.
File that under things that make you go hmmm.

So here is a direct quote from a good friend of mine after referencing this story:

"Stranger yet I have a friend suffering with thyroid issues after being on that ship before the fuku event."

posted on Dec, 17 2013 @ 08:49 AM
link   
reply to post by derfreebie

The Reagan returned to the US after decontamination in Okinawa. It stopped briefly in Hawaii, then headed to SD then on to Washington State for long term repairs (my wife was on board for the Tiger portion of the trip i.e. HI to SD). The crew and ship were re-assigned to Washington state while the ship was going through the needed maintenance.

If I remember correctly it took 6 months or so in WA to finish the repairs allowing for the Reagan to go back into service.

God Bless,
edit on 17-12-2013 by ElohimJD because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join