It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

51 Sailors from USS Ronald Reagan Suffering Thyroid Cancer, Leukemia, Brain Tumors After Participati

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+44 more 
posted on Dec, 16 2013 @ 07:16 AM
link   

Crew members in their mid-20′s from the aircraft carrier USS Ronald Reagan are coming down with all sorts of radiation-related illnesses after being deployed less than 3 years ago to assist with earthquake rescue operations off the coast of Japan in 2011. It looks as though the onboard desalinization systems that take salt out of seawater to make it drinkable, were taking-in radioactive water from the ocean for the crew to drink, cook with and bath-in, before anyone realized there was a massive radiation spill into the ocean.

Charles Bonner, attorney representing sailors from the USS Ronald Reagan said “the crew members were not only going to the rescue by jumping into the water and rescuing people out of the water, but they were drinking desalinated sea water, bathing in it, until finally the captain of the USS Ronald Reagan alarmed people that they were encountering high levels of radiation.”

There's really not much to say other than this is horrible. Hopefully the government will take care of the hospital bills. You would however, think that the captain should've let the crew know that were drinking contaminated water.

Bonner says that as a result of this exposure, the 51 sailors have come down with a host of medical problems, “They have testicular cancer, they have thyroid cancers, they have leukemias, they have rectal and gynecological bleeding, a host of problems that they did not have before … people are going blind, pilots who had perfect eyesight but now have tumors on the brain. And it’s only been 3 years since they went in.” Bonner pointed out that these service men and women are young people, ages 21, 22, 23 years old and no one in their family had ever suffered any of these kinds of illnesses before.

Shortly after the disaster, Senior Chief Mike Sebourn was sent from his home base, Naval Air Facility Atsugi, to Misawa Air Base, 200 miles from the faltering power plant. As a designated radiation decontamination officer, he dealt with aircraft and personnel that had flown into the area.

Sebourn, with only two days of training, was tasked with testing seven points on an aircraft’s skin for radiation. He and others crawled all over the crafts for months, he said, with only gloves for protection. At one point, he said, they took the radiator out of one aircraft and tested it. The radiation was four times greater than what should have required them to wear a suit and respirator, he said.

The level of radiation “was incredibly dangerous,” Sebourn said. “Navy aviation had never dealt with radiation before. Nobody knew what to do. Nobody knew what was safe. It was a nightmare.”

According to "The Huffington Post" another Plaintiff in the lawsuit is former Navy Quartermaster Maurice Enis.

Enis says it was more than a month after arriving off the coast of Japan -- and circling at distances of one to 10 miles from the crippled reactors -- when sailors aboard the carrier got word that a nuclear plant had been affected. "Even then, it was rumors," he said. And it wasn't until the USS Ronald Reagan had left Japan and sailors were scrubbing down the ship that they were offered radiation protection. Enis said the enlisted sailors were never offered any iodine. He said he later learned the "higher ups" -- officers and pilots -- had received the tablets to protect their thyroids from radiation damage.

This is a big deal if true, but who knows.

"They had us sign off that we were medically fine, had no sickness, and that we couldn't sue the U.S. government," Enis told The Huffington Post, recalling widespread anger among the sailors who saw it as "B.S." but who also felt they had little choice.

A horrible situation if this is true. I will say up front that I don't know if this is a reliable source. Here is the new link.

edit on 16-12-2013 by solongandgoodnight because: fixed link and added

edit on 16-12-2013 by solongandgoodnight because: fixed headline

edit on 16-12-2013 by solongandgoodnight because: link again

posted on Dec, 16 2013 @ 07:20 AM
link   
reply to post by solongandgoodnight

They drank the ocean water off the coast of Japan??? In any case, this may go the way of the Agent Orange silence, and the sailors denied benefits for "absurd claims".

This is sad news, and if so many have gotten sick then many many more people on the ship will, in effect "go down with the ship" in the years to come. So much for seeing the world.

EDIT: As the post below this one implies, maybe this is false. I hope so.
edit on 16-12-2013 by Aleister because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 16 2013 @ 07:34 AM
link   
"Server not found"

Doesn't sound like acute radiation sickness.

I will doubt this story until there is some real documentation.

posted on Dec, 16 2013 @ 07:42 AM
link   

Tusks
"Server not found"

Honestly I hope you're right. I put up a different link. I will try to do some more digging to see if this is a true story or not.

posted on Dec, 16 2013 @ 07:50 AM
link   

I located an article about a lawsuit, maybe the same one?

A group of U.S. Navy personnel involved in the humanitarian effort after Japan's March 2011 earthquake and tsunami have filed a lawsuit against the Tokyo Electric Power Co. for more than $200 million in compensation, punitive damages and future medical costs for exposure to radiation that leaked from the damaged Fukushima Nuclear Power Plant at the time.

The plaintiffs include eight troops serving on the USS Ronald Reagan aircraft carrier — one of whom was pregnant at the time of the alleged exposure — and her daughter.
US sailors sue Japan's TEPCO for post-quake radiation exposure - NBC News

Absolutely terrible. Hope this news story gets more exposure.

ETA - Looks like this is from December last year! Ack.

Another source to the story, cnn.com
edit on 12/16/2013 by OneisOne because: add additional link & info

posted on Dec, 16 2013 @ 08:03 AM
link   

a lot of the links I put up quit working shortly after.

posted on Dec, 16 2013 @ 08:08 AM
link   
reply to post by OneisOne

thanks for the cnn link. do you remember ever hearing of this before now?

posted on Dec, 16 2013 @ 08:14 AM
link   

solongandgoodnight

do you remember ever hearing of this before now?

Nope. Not at all!

I was very surprised to see this was news from last year. And the only current news I have found is the attorney's audio interview. Seems it is one of those, reported & buried stories.

Found a page that has some of the audio transcribed, with time markers. enenews.com

I will be on the look out for more info & post it... if it can be found!

posted on Dec, 16 2013 @ 08:14 AM
link   

thanks!

+14 more 
posted on Dec, 16 2013 @ 08:19 AM
link   
Oh God, what a nightmare. There were close to 3,000 sailors and aviators on the Ronald Reagan. 200 is the tip of the iceberg, we can only assume that hundreds more will be showing signs of illness over the next few years.

Forcing seamen to sign waivers?
I hope that isn't true, if so it shows foreknowledge.
Intentionally remaining in waters too radiated to be safe is a crime against the crew.
I realize the skipper takes his orders from DC so maybe the real culpability lies there.

These men and women are giving too much for their country.
Dying in battle is one thing - dying from radiation sickness? Inexcusable,

posted on Dec, 16 2013 @ 08:27 AM
link   

Heres another source for you all -
70 to 75 sailors to file a lawsuit
Source

posted on Dec, 16 2013 @ 08:50 AM
link   

Tusks
"Server not found"

I think the answer might be a radiation leak but maybe not from the Island of Japan. The Navy has been known to cover-up on radiation leaks in the past.

USS Ronald Reagan (CVN-76) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Ronald_Reagan_(CVN-76)‎
USS Ronald Reagan (CVN-76) is a Nimitz-class nuclear-powered supercarrier in the service of the United States Navy. The ninth ship of her class, she is named ...

edit on 16-12-2013 by MamaLeonne because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 16 2013 @ 09:25 AM
link   
I remember thinking when they went there that it was a very dangerous move and they didn't have anything to remove the radiation from the water. If the military men are sick, what about the people of Japan? They should be seeing the effects of this disaster by now in the diseases of those people living there.

posted on Dec, 16 2013 @ 09:29 AM
link   

Its amazing how many diseases you can contract when there is a lifetime disability check involved.

posted on Dec, 16 2013 @ 09:33 AM
link   
Back in the 1980s I was in the US Army and stationed at Camp Zama Japan.
I am VERY glad that I"m not there now. I'd be chomping at the bit to get out ....

posted on Dec, 16 2013 @ 09:39 AM
link   
reply to post by MamaLeonne

Now if they knew there was a radiation leak about the Reagan that would have made a convenient way to shift the blame. Why was the Reagan chosen for this mission? Where was it stationed prior? Wouldn't a smaller vessel capable of air rescue using choppers have been a better choice?

That's an interesting angle but would need some hard evidence to prove it.
File that under things that make you go hmmm.

+3 more 
posted on Dec, 16 2013 @ 09:45 AM
link   

My brother served on the USS Reagan during the crisis. He told me they announced the contamination, and they all had to drink bottle water/soda, and go without showers for days, the ship ran out of bottled water/soda is a day or two and dehydration was rampant.

He had to decontaminate the helicopters incoming that had flown through the plume performing aerial water drops until they got the pumps online.

I feared this could happen, and now after seeing so many of his brothers and sisters in arms affected to this degree, I fear for his health and life.

Hopefully he will be ok, but the chances of that being the case has just dropped dramatically.

Though, I suppose it is still the same, but my denial of his overall health affect is what has actually changed. I can no longer pretend his service for the victims of Fukushima left him unscathed. I can only hope his exposure was less then those involved in the law suit.

This is a sad day.

God Bless,

+6 more 
posted on Dec, 16 2013 @ 10:29 AM
link   

GGGGGRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR GIVING the officers iodine and withholding it from the enlisted is

PURDEEEEEE EVIL.

Those jerks have no clue how they will pay for such. God Almighty is NOT amused and WILL insure that such folks reap what they have sown, with serious interest.

What an outrage.

Lord, God, please be with all the afflicted in a mighty way . . . draw them to yourself in wholeness and healing. In Christ's priceless Name. Amen.

posted on Dec, 16 2013 @ 10:35 AM
link   
reply to post by ElohimJD

Prayer for your brother. Sigh. What an outrage.

The best facilitative sources I know for God's touch in such matters . . .

are:

www.iamchanged.com...

and

Curry Blake

He's a character of a Texan who basically takes God at His word after the fashion and a similar anointing to John G Lake. He's trained folks all around the world. He's seen many hundreds of dramatic miracles of healing of all kinds of deadly things.

He's also fiesty and funny.

Youtube videos . . .

www.youtube.com...

May all those afflicted from the Reagan get all the medical, spiritual and supernatural help they need.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join