It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Not So Troubled Common Christian

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 16 2013 @ 12:01 AM
link   
The Not So Troubled Common Christian

NOTE: These are my thoughts and only my thoughts and not intended to disrespect, coerce or insult anyone in anyway. Take them for what they are, my musings.

The Troubled Common Christian

I became a Christian and gave my soul to the Lord Jesus a couple of decades ago; prior to that I was a strong and self-centered man, believing only in my own strength and abilities. I have been through much in my life, perhaps more than anyone ever should. It was only after giving my soul to the One that really matters, that I discovered how very weak I am without Him.

Now I spend a lot of time explaining to people why I will not now, nor ever defend my religion. It is a very personal thing that most would never understand anyway.

I read the Bible, specifically the words of Christ, I believe and that is enough for me.

1. Do I care that others find contradictions I do not see? NO
2. Do I care that others believe only certain parts of the Bible? NO
3. Do I care that some think Christianity is based on an older religion? NO
4. Do I care about others souls? YES
5. Do I care what others think of the Bible? NO
That list could go on and on

I have troubles now as a Christian of course. The Lord never promised me a trouble free life, not at all. In point of fact He gives his hardest battles to his strongest warriors as He should. I consider myself to be strong in my faith so I have troubles.

It troubles me that one time I was discussing the Bible with a friend and was asked about the belief in Jesus. I responded with the biblical quote that “No one gets to the Father except through Me” the words of Jesus. He then asked if he was going to hell and I said if he did not believe yes… He is a self-professed atheist.. He no longer cares for me which is rather funny if you look at it.

I said he was going somewhere he does not even believe in and it upset him???? LMAO

Someone quick tell me I’m going to Mordor….. Nope.. Not upset.. Don’t believe in it, don’t care..

Now the above scenario has happened to me 3 times and I have always found it strange that an atheist would get upset until it finally dawned on me… I am comfortable in my beliefs; perhaps they are not in theirs…
Perhaps that is why atheists attack Christianity at ever opportunity.. We have what they can never have.. A quiet soul.. A comfortable peace.. A warm blanket of faith

Now I have read and heard that because I believe I am somewhat less intelligent than those that do not. While I am at heart a dumb cop, I will gladly compare my education with anyone on here including the owners. So maybe not less intelligent… Perhaps it is an example of a lack of intellectual prowess to disparage someone’s intellect based on their beliefs????

So maybe, just maybe, the insecurity of the non-believer is becoming more and more apparent?

As I am a true believer, I can only pray for their salvation

Just a note: I am NOT a member of any organized religion although I do attend several different churches from time to time for different reasons. Not the least of which is to use the alter to pray for my friends and family.

Semper

posted on Dec, 16 2013 @ 12:11 AM
link   
reply to post by semperfortis

unnecessary quote removed

i think you will find what upset your friend was that you judged his life not worthy of the prize of heaven, simply because he didnt believe your dogma

so you can be good and loving, but if you dont believe in the sky wizard, NO SOUP FOR YOU!

im sorry you let your friend walk away. instead of trying to find out what it was that would potentially ruin your friendship.
your friend also could have fought for this, but from his point of view, you had written him off. i suspect theres more you arent telling about that situation..

what bothers me most about christians, is the fact they wait for god to solve problems rather than just fixing it.

"i pray every day that things will change"
"pray for the people of *insert latest natural disaster here*"

obviously there are always individuals that break the rule.
i used to believe .. when i was a teen. christian ministers took advantage of my teen agst (and that of others in my age group) to swell thier ranks.

they used peer pressure and isolation from my family to expose and coerce me into thier ranks.

until i was older and began really thinking for myself, i was the most obnoxious jerk out there.
spreading "gods" will where i went, like i knew what god wanted. cos some book written by people told me.

again im sorry you lost your friend.

edit on 16/12/2013 by Sauron because: Mod Note: Big Quote – Please Review This Link.

posted on Dec, 16 2013 @ 12:13 AM
link   

Well if someone told you your beliefs are wrong... And because of those beliefs you will be a pig in your next life...

Would you appreciate that much? Likely not...

Thats the same as telling someone they will go to hell if they don't believe what you do...

I suppose its good that you're ok with that...

I wouldn't be... But thats me

posted on Dec, 16 2013 @ 12:13 AM
link   
reply to post by okamitengu

I would have lost him eventually anyway

posted on Dec, 16 2013 @ 12:15 AM
link   
WOW you people just can not grasp it can you?

Why would I care if someone told me I was going to be a pig?????

NOW that is FUNNY

I don't care what people believe or think.. Especially if I know it to not be true

I guess not everyone is as secure as me.. But that falls on them.. Not me

posted on Dec, 16 2013 @ 12:19 AM
link   

I understand completely... But some people Find that line of thinking rather insulting

And just so you know... You don't know that its not true

Your book says with God all things are possible...

Which means that could be possible OR... You feel you can set limits on God

posted on Dec, 16 2013 @ 12:20 AM
link   
Do you realize that what turned the atheist off to you was your Hell doctrine? Non-believers know and see very clearly what Hell implies: a cruel, psychopathic God, who has no problem with punishing eternally for temporal sins. This has turned multitudes away from Christianity. You owe it to yourself, and I speak as a former atheist, to read a Bible version which translates accurately, the words so often renders as "hell" in most versions. A Young's Literal Version is a good one to get. I have done a lot or research on the subject, and it is very clear to me that the idea of Hell came in from Pagan sources, both mythical and philosophical. Its main props are myth, bad translations, church tradition, and works of fiction such as Dante and Milton.

posted on Dec, 16 2013 @ 12:23 AM
link   

Akragon

I understand completely... But some people Find that line of thinking rather insulting

And just so you know... You don't know that its not true

Your book says with God all things are possible...

Which means that could be possible OR... You feel you can set limits on God

Yes! With God, all things are possible...even the salvation of all mankind. Otherwise, how is God ever to become All in all?

posted on Dec, 16 2013 @ 12:25 AM
link   
reply to post by Lazarus Short

After reading much of the original Greek and Aramaic my understanding is Hell is simply "Without God"

As God entails only good and holy, Hell is the opposite

posted on Dec, 16 2013 @ 12:26 AM
link   
reply to post by Akragon

That is such an old argument and to quote a teenager "So yesterday"

No real need to answer that which will not move us forward

posted on Dec, 16 2013 @ 12:31 AM
link   

semperfortis

After reading much of the original Greek and Aramaic my understanding is Hell is simply "Without God"

As God entails only good and holy, Hell is the opposite

No, Hell is a 404 (not found). It cannot exist in His new heaven & earth, where all is holy and good. Keep in mind that the Lake of Fire is NOT Hell.

posted on Dec, 16 2013 @ 12:32 AM
link   

I agree the lake of fire is a metaphor

An eternity without God is not

posted on Dec, 16 2013 @ 12:34 AM
link   

semperfortis

I agree the lake of fire is a metaphor

An eternity without God is not

BUT - an eternity without God for any person or persons means that God cannot become All in all. BUT your Bible and mine say that He will. All means all, total inclusion.

posted on Dec, 16 2013 @ 12:37 AM
link   

It doesn't matter on the definition of hell in this instance. The real issue is that the friend felt rejected because they found something they disagree strongly about.

That or they are insecure as OP stated. OP erhaps he feels you pity him. I find this odd because it is often non-believers I have encountered that are condescending or try to feign pity for believers.

I see the OPs point and empathize. To me its no different than having Muslim friends and coworkers. They probably assume I am going to hell. It does not bother me or our interactions as far as I am concerned. Imagine going to the gas station I am sure that the clerks who are muslim have religious beliefs in conflict with mine but I doubt he is sitting there going "Infidel, Infidel you will burn!" in his mind while I am paying or some such and neither am I.

In debate I represent a view and often these are absolutes in regards to religion but ultimately in each of our lives it is between us and our maker.

My personal opinion is a lot of the new gen atheist are like anti-smoking advocates. They get up in arms about people expressing any signs of religion around them. Its like if someone lights up in a public place and all of a sudden it becomes the business of a bunch of people as they cough and wave in a visual display of their displeasure and disgust at one human being while feigning to care about the health of everyone around. Its just a pat on the back feel good fad for many at this point.

posted on Dec, 16 2013 @ 12:38 AM
link   

semperfortis
reply to post by Akragon

That is such an old argument and to quote a teenager "So yesterday"

No real need to answer that which will not move us forward

I expected a better answer then that from a moderator...

Sigh

Oh well... The hell arguement is pretty much old as the hills as well...

Two dead end streets i suppose... Tragic you lost a friend because you choose to condem him though

posted on Dec, 16 2013 @ 12:40 AM
link   

Interesting post Semper. I'm glad you're as secure in your faith as you seem to indicate. Sorry about your friend.

Once I used to believe as you but my reality changed that. Would I go back? No because not all things are possible IMO. Nothing can restore lost faith to bad promises or lies once they reach a certain level.

BTW I'm not going to Mordor either.

posted on Dec, 16 2013 @ 12:42 AM
link   
reply to post by Akragon

I expected a better answer then that from a moderator...

WOW

Just WOW

I read and reread the post and I don't think I mentioned "Moderator" anywhere..

I have black pants on... Does that make it better? Or is that also irrelevant?

LMAO LMAO

posted on Dec, 16 2013 @ 12:44 AM
link   

I'm sorry but I have really only read the Bible a few times in a few languages.. I have no idea where you say God said He will become ALL????

Again

Dumb cop here

posted on Dec, 16 2013 @ 12:45 AM
link   

So much for expectations eh

posted on Dec, 16 2013 @ 12:46 AM
link   
reply to post by Akragon

Not sure what you are expecting

But in almost ALL the rules on here, it is explained that everyone is a member first

I am posting as a Member

Badly perhaps, but a Member no less

I have hope the Moderator comment was not a "Strawman" argument

You know.. Attack the position not the post.. I wonder why?
edit on 12/16/2013 by semperfortis because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join