It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Boycott NFL Crony Capitalism on Steroids

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 15 2013 @ 08:56 PM
link   
This video was uploaded yesterday. This is dedicated to all you people who hate the poor because they get food stamps...

I remember when Bill Bidwell owner of the Cardinals tried to blackmail/extort hundreds on millions from Missouri tax payers, he failed and moved to Arizona.
edit on 15-12-2013 by LDragonFire because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 15 2013 @ 09:40 PM
link   
reply to post by LDragonFire

I loves me some football but I agree. The NFL and professional sports in general are guilty.

posted on Dec, 15 2013 @ 11:28 PM
link   
I have to admit that I love football as well, however.........many fans don't realize that the NFL enjoys a "non-profit" designation from Uncle Sam.

posted on Dec, 15 2013 @ 11:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Open2Truth

Are you S**ting Me? I didn't know that! How can that be?

posted on Dec, 15 2013 @ 11:41 PM
link   
reply to post by PRS395

No BS here - its true

That's right -- the $10 billion-a-year NFL is a tax-exempt organization, as is the NHL and the PGA Tour. Before you start comparing the NFL to the American Red Cross, it's important to know how and why the NFL is a tax-exempt organization. According to league spokesman Brian McCarthy, the NFL is organized as a trade or industry association that is exempt from taxation under Section 501(c)(6) of the Internal Revenue Code...

espn.go.com...

Amazing, right?

posted on Dec, 16 2013 @ 06:02 AM
link   

LDragonFire
I remember when Bill Bidwell owner of the Cardinals tried to blackmail/extort hundreds on millions from Missouri tax payers, he failed and moved to Arizona.

Moved to Arizona so the Cardinals could play in ASU's stadium for nearly 20 years? I mean, he eventually did get his way but it's not like Arizona taxpayers had a stadium-in-waiting to hand him when his plans in St. Louis didn't work out.

It took us a little while to get to this level of stupid. Check out the mess the Phoenix Coyotes have been in for the last decade because the government can't get it's grubby little hands out of what should be an entirely private economic endeavor. The Coyotes are a case study in the foolishness of public-private co-ops.

And you shouldn't have ice hockey in the desert anyway. The whole thing was retarded from the get-go.

posted on Dec, 16 2013 @ 09:32 AM
link   
reply to post by NthOther

Back in the day St Louis was booming and for some reason they thought it would be a good idea to separate from St Louis Co.

Decades later this created a 4 way negotiation between Bidwell, St Louis and St Louis Co, and Mo state. Bidwell wanted a tax paid new dome Missouri already had a tax state wide for building stadiums and other public use facilities, but there wasn't enough in that fund for a brand new dome. The remaining money needed would come from St Louis and STL Co, threw taxes and bonds. Then the issue of where to put the dome; St.Louis city or County.

Bidwill either got tired of the process or just wanted to relocate to Arizona so he took his football and headed South.

A decade ish later St Louis built the Dome with tax payer money and the Rams moved right on in.

Its unbelievable that these elites demand the government supply tax payer money for stadiums. And where are the smaller government crowd funny they have nothing to say?
edit on 16-12-2013 by LDragonFire because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 16 2013 @ 09:53 AM
link   
reply to post by LDragonFire

Simple solution, as the video clearly states. Boycott the NFL.

But, how can you boycott an organization that is getting tax breaks, tax incentives and tax revenue for building new stadiums or arenas? Even if you don't support the League, you still indirectly pay for them to keep at it. So what is the real solution?

To me, an avid opponent of anything that detracts from the greater knowledge of citizens, the public needs to show less support towards this scheme and more scrutiny towards the people making it possible. CONgress, the owners and the local gov'ts allowing it to take place. Then maybe we would see a drastic change.

For now, more people know about what stats number 31 from the Colts has than what laws are being abused or passed in their government. I believe one has utmost importance and one does not. Yet more and more people live their lives obsessed with the fantasy that is emulated through their TV screen. Pathetic and unimportant but perfect for those in power.

posted on Dec, 23 2013 @ 10:58 PM
link   

LDragonFire
reply to post by NthOther

Back in the day St Louis was booming and for some reason they thought it would be a good idea to separate from St Louis Co.

Decades later this created a 4 way negotiation between Bidwell, St Louis and St Louis Co, and Mo state. Bidwell wanted a tax paid new dome Missouri already had a tax state wide for building stadiums and other public use facilities, but there wasn't enough in that fund for a brand new dome. The remaining money needed would come from St Louis and STL Co, threw taxes and bonds. Then the issue of where to put the dome; St.Louis city or County.

Bidwill either got tired of the process or just wanted to relocate to Arizona so he took his football and headed South.

A decade ish later St Louis built the Dome with tax payer money and the Rams moved right on in.

Its unbelievable that these elites demand the government supply tax payer money for stadiums. And where are the smaller government crowd funny they have nothing to say?
edit on 16-12-2013 by LDragonFire because: (no reason given)

St. Louis and St. Louis County separated in 1876.

RFT: The Great Divorce: Everything You Ever Wanted to Know About the City/County Split
edit on 12/23/2013 by Fury1984 because: (no reason given)

For the record, I'm for smaller government and I think it is atrocious that tax money is used to build these stadiums and the infrastructure to support them. Just like I oppose TIFs for THF Realty/Wal-Mart and Sansone Group/Wal-Mart projects and all other TIF projects. If a business cannot stand on its own without government assistance, it should not stand at all.

posted on Dec, 23 2013 @ 11:17 PM
link   

Fury1984

St. Louis and St. Louis County separated in 1876.

RFT: The Great Divorce: Everything You Ever Wanted to Know About the City/County Split

For the record, I'm for smaller government and I think it is atrocious that tax money is used to build these stadiums and the infrastructure to support them. Just like I oppose TIFs for THF Realty/Wal-Mart and Sansone Group/Wal-Mart projects and all other TIF projects. If a business cannot stand on its own without government assistance, it should not stand at all.

the split between the city and county led to the cardinals leaving to Arizona imo. bad decisions a hundred years before sure came back to haunt us. the city pushed for this split and has regretted it since.

I'm not sure if this state tax is still there, I do think this tax was used to help build the new Busch Stadium, along with other tax payer money. The tax for stadiums was justified by there being 2 large cities with 2 NFL and 2 MLB teams in the state, and the income they bring in on game day. I think its elite welfare. As far as I know Boeing, or walmart or burger king doesn't ask the government to build buildings for them so why do we accept it from pro sports teams? If you can pay players $100 million a year you can build your own stadium.

anytime public funds are used for big business projects, justifies the ridiculous salaries this industry pays there ceo's and players
edit on 23-12-2013 by LDragonFire because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 23 2013 @ 11:22 PM
link   

LDragonFire
I think its elite welfare. As far as I know Boeing, or walmart or burger king doesn't ask the government to build buildings for them so why do we accept it from pro sports teams? If you can pay players $100 million a year you can build your own stadium.

Wal-Mart does ask that taxpayers finance their building projects through increased sales taxes in a particular development zone, and also pay for the infrastructure surrounding these developments.

Boeing submitted a Request for Offer from 12-15 states to build some or all of their new 777 commercial airliners. Missouri submitted a proposal that would include $1.7 Billion in tax breaks. I love lowering taxes, but I don't love the government picking winners and losers.

posted on Dec, 23 2013 @ 11:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Fury1984

lol i stand corrected, we need to boycott all business that lobby tax money.

top topics

join