It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Can someone put this into perspective for me?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 15 2013 @ 03:22 PM
link   
I had $60 to do some grocery shopping today. Friday is pay day and we were running low on breakfast and lunch foods. We have a family of 5 so $60 doesn't go very far. I can also tell you that the quality of food that can be purchased isn't the greatest. I try to buy things that can be made into several meals. Soups are great on a budget and so are eggs. There was no money for anything extra, and although we need toilet paper, I figure we have enough kleenex's in the house that we can use as substitute until Friday.

I work 40 to 50 hours a week and my husband usually averages about 60. We make ends meet most of the time. We have a strict budget and try very hard to stick to it. We do not have credit cards because we found out early on that they only lead to trouble. So if we can't purchase something with cash, then we don't get it.

Anyway, I'm at the grocery and get in the check out line behind a woman with a cart overflowing with items. She had groceries and a lot of extra things. In particlar she had a lot of candy making supplies. The cashier actually asked her if it was difficult to make all of the different types of candies that she had bought supplies for. The woman responded that is wasn't difficult, just time consuming. But she said she was a stay at home mom so she had the time. All of this was fine until she pulled out her EBT card to pay for her groceries that totalled about $150. She then used her debit card to pay for the things not covered by her EBT. The other items totaled over $300.

I stood there in disbelief and the longer I thought about it the angrier I became. I work my butt off and hardly see my children. Extras are very rare in our home, if I bring home candy my kids think its a special occasion...yet this woman who doesn't work gets her groceries for free and spends her money on
supplies to make christmas candies.....

Can someone put this into perspective for me?? Can someone please help me to understand this??

posted on Dec, 15 2013 @ 03:29 PM
link   
I believe it is called fraud.

posted on Dec, 15 2013 @ 03:31 PM
link   
Hmmm, perspective. Sounds a lot like $300 in candy supplies was more than for just her family. Perhaps she saved all year to make it as gifts for everyone. A small snippet of someones life does not an entire picture make.

For example, we have a family of seven. I spend $250 or more a week on groceries ( including non food items), but hubby and I are aghast at those who spend $300-$400.

That is perspective.
Just because your reality does not match the Jone's up the street, doesn't mean you can cry foul.

posted on Dec, 15 2013 @ 03:31 PM
link   

Can someone put this into perspective for me?? Can someone please help me to understand this??

When you live in North America, perspective and understanding of what is right or wrong is so far beyond our reach it's laughable.

The only thing I am certain of is that this is nothing compared to what is coming.

Just know that her candy making supplies won't help her out of what's coming...no matter who is paying for it.

Peace

posted on Dec, 15 2013 @ 03:39 PM
link   
These days, hard work is for suckaz.

Making oneself dependent on the government is rewarded, and the folks who benefit from ever more people dependent on government are rewarded with votes in hopes for ever more 'free' stuff.

This will go on until other peoples money runs out.

This 'running out of other peoples money' also takes the form of a devalued dollar, which results in $60 being able to buy less and less.
edit on CST03America/Chicago50Sun, 15 Dec 2013 15:40:30 -0600403033150 by TheWrightWing because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 15 2013 @ 03:45 PM
link   
reply to post by newsoul

I can only offer a suggestion.

Take pride in what you have, take pride in your family. Stand tall, stand proud. You may not be dining at 5 star restaurants, but you take care of your family. Take pride in the value of your love for your family.

You can look yourself in the mirror in the mornings.

Many can't do that.

posted on Dec, 15 2013 @ 03:48 PM
link   
My girl and I spend about $500.00 a month on groceries and have far more than we need. She cooks most meals and we avoid non organic meats and foods as much as possible.

posted on Dec, 15 2013 @ 04:04 PM
link   
Yeah I can put it into perspective:- Stop being judgmental.
edit on 15/12/13 by Cobaltic1978 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 15 2013 @ 04:26 PM
link   
Don´t get mad it´s not worth it. You have something what she might not have, you show your kids responsability and morals of coping on your own instead of milking the goverment. Your kids won´t be those who are raised to be lazy and unproductive.. in some point system will collapse and who are those who will survive the bad times.. you guess.

posted on Dec, 15 2013 @ 04:35 PM
link   
reply to post by newsoul

Most likely like someone above stated, it's fraud.
You too can do this, well... If you are ok with possible prison time and no human fiber.
But the fact you made a rant about it tells me you may be fairly well grounded, and good for you.
It does get better, my wife and I had 6 kids so we lived like the Walton's abit.
But when the kids finally leave it gets quite abit better, no more trivial little things to buy for the minions and such.
The wife and I still have a HUGE food budget, about 800 a month on average, but we eat better than most royalty.
Life is too short to eat pre packaged garbage, plus I have health concerns that do not allow boxed and bagged garbage.
It does get better.

posted on Dec, 15 2013 @ 04:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Cobaltic1978

I don't really feel that I was being judgemental at all. I feel like I work my A$$ off and can barely afford to get by and she adittedly is a stay at home mom on welfare. Maybe if she were to work outside of the home, half of my pay check wouldn't be buying her groceries. If she can afford $300 in EXTRAS, then she should be able to afford groceries without using government assistance.

posted on Dec, 15 2013 @ 04:55 PM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

I can always count on you to be the giver of good advice. And once again you are correct.

Thank you!

posted on Dec, 15 2013 @ 05:07 PM
link   

newsoul
reply to post by Cobaltic1978

I don't really feel that I was being judgemental at all. I feel like I work my A$$ off and can barely afford to get by and she adittedly is a stay at home mom on welfare. Maybe if she were to work outside of the home, half of my pay check wouldn't be buying her groceries. If she can afford $300 in EXTRAS, then she should be able to afford groceries without using government assistance.

I'm trying to understand how you take a one time event, and apply it year round? There is no proof of fraud anywhere other than during the holiday season she made a purchase of what is extra to you. You, nor anyone here has any clue where she may have come by money. For all you know she did a temporary job, or was given the money itself as a gift. It's all highly speculative, but it sounds like she was buying things to make something for others. Not like you saw her spend it on a pair of shoes.

posted on Dec, 15 2013 @ 05:17 PM
link   
reply to post by AccessDenied

Actually you are assuming that all of the extras in her cart were for making candy. She had lots of items that the EBT didn't cover, including make-up and clothing and several DVD's. You may be correct that this is a one time thing. You may also be looking at the world through rose colored glasses.

posted on Dec, 15 2013 @ 05:19 PM
link   
Maybe she's doing the only frugal thing she can to not appear like a complete hobo by saving money and making candy as to give as gifts for the holidays, rather than buying gifts. Maybe it's the only way she can gift this year.

It's none of your business. People like you are much of what's wrong with society. Mind your own business.
edit on 170000000605pmb13America/Chicago by Hushabye because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 15 2013 @ 05:28 PM
link   
reply to post by newsoul

I can explain it with one word Ponzi scheme farming. You are not a person who lives on what other people create but the ones who are at the bottom creating. And because of that you have no leverage to get what you want while other people do. So other people will treat what you create like a farmer will treat their farm animals. It is the farmer who decide and he has a lot of animals to feed on to make a decent living. And if he thinks he gets to little he will increase what he takes from you on all sides (tax/increased pricing/reduced salary).

edit on 15-12-2013 by LittleByLittle because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 15 2013 @ 05:40 PM
link   
When I was young, my children were babies and my dearly beloved was still alive and well I had a job laying block.A door sill had fallen on me and injured my back so I was out of work. I told my wife to go down and ask the food stamp folk for a bit of help.. I had her explain the circumstances and that we only needed help for about two weeks as I was sure I would be better an back to work by then.They used paper stamps back then,they gave her 6 dollars worth.Six bucks for my self,my wife and 3 kids -- one of whom was still a baby at the time. I couldn't even walk that day but I was so mad..I crawled into the food stamp office and asked your very same question...we worked hard,we never asked them for help before and we were having a hard time __ I never got the answer you are looking for. I did tell them what they could do with those 6 dollars worth of food stamps I left crumpled up on the case workers desk tho

posted on Dec, 15 2013 @ 05:43 PM
link   
Being judgmental for a one time purchase, Really, I guess I am just as guilty, why, about two years ago my wife was a manger at a dollar tree, I have said this before on these post, that she never seen so many people coming in and using the system (fraud) good example, women comes driving in a Escalade, dressed like a million dollars, high end phones (not like the tracfones I have) kids are dressed in designer cloths, she comes in and buys and buys and then comes time to pay she pulls out a EBT card.

I agree, those of us that work hard year round to make ends meet are paying for those people that want to fraud the system, I can't even get a school lunch discount because I make $40 dollars more than the federal cut off.

If this lady has time to make candy, she should go apply for a job at a candy store.

Its just wrong that people use and abuse the system, there are truly those that need it and those that don't
edit on 15-12-2013 by 19KTankCommander because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 15 2013 @ 05:47 PM
link   
She's probably going to turn the candy she makes into six hundred dollars, then spend 300 on christmas presents and 300 on bills.... turn the work she knows how to do into the presents that her children want, and use the 300 for the bills they have to go towards.

These days are tough on all of us, her included.

It very well could be that she's just a very resourceful mom. You should see her in this light. It could give you some good ideas for next christmas...

posted on Dec, 15 2013 @ 05:58 PM
link   
Today, we went to Walmart because we needed dog food, no groceries, just dog food & "treats" - I use quotes because the "treats" are used to settle down (tranquilize) our pack of mutts. With a pack of NINE our weekly dog food budget is about $60-$70... But I digress.

I'd noticed a lady with D&G eyeglasses, two gold front teeth with diamonds, a D&G handbag - purchasing all her groceries and such with an EBT card. BUT - I didn't really register any reaction at all until she loaded the groceries into her newish Lexus.

i feel for you and understand your wanting to put things in perspective - seems like you had a "WTF" moment rather than a judgemental one IMHO.

ganjoa

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join