It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Terra Firma Craft: Survival as it should have been (Minecraft)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 14 2013 @ 08:50 PM
link   
I've been playing this mod for about a month now... and its just awesome

IF you are a fan of minecraft as I am, and you enjoy survival... I would suggest you give Terra Firma a try

created by Bioxx, is a complete rework of Minecraft survival. The world generation is very different from vanilla Minecraft, featuring a wide variety of environments, stone layers, and vegetation, and the technology tree is much richer, encompassing pottery, stone working, metallurgy and much more. This mod is designed to make Minecraft survival more challenging and complex, while still being fun to play. Enjoy!

This mod gives the game a realistic feel... Most of the game mechanics are completely changed... and they've added seasons, temperature, so crops only mature during the correct seasons. They've also made the ground level in the world at level 165 as opposed to level 64... so you have to dig way down to get to the big deposits of ore

Along with that they've also added thirst... so one must carry a jug of water

To give a brief summery of the changes

Knapping

There are no stone picks in this mod... and you need to pick up rocks to "Knap" your basic tools like shovels and axes

Once you have enough stones the game gives you an 8x8 grid to carve your own tools from the rocks you find.

Minerals and Ore

All ore must be smelted in a pit kiln or a forge to be of any use... and there is at least 30 different ores, and gems that can be found whilst mining.

Gravity

You can no longer build anything using sand or dirt... or cobble for that matter! These materials now crumble over to the lowest positions if they don't have "support beams" or at least stable sides for support.

This also makes mining very dangerous due to cave ins... IF you mine blocks from the bottom side, stone has a chance to turn into cobble which will fall to its lowest point... mining upwards is not a smart idea in TFC

Your First Pick

Since you can't make stone picks in TFC you'll need to learn how to find and smelt ores... This involves finding copper or some base ores to make an alloy. Creating a mold and firing it in your kiln... then pouring the molten metal into your molds. IF you're going to make an alloy you have to use the correct amounts of specific ore when you smelt or you'll end up with useless metal.

*Note* There are also currently about 30 different kinds of ore as previously stated... half of which have no use at the moment. This makes finding a creating tools even more complicated

Pottery and Ceramics

You have to find clay to mold your pottery and ceramics... again, once you find clay the game will give you an 8x8 grid to create your molds, then they need to me fired in your kiln... this is necessary for all metal tools and weapons

Armor

Armor is made by smithing on your anvil... which also required plans from your scribing table... It is a hard process and takes some time to figure out. As it stands there are 6 tiers of metal armor, all of which have a different look

Leather armor is the first level of gear you can get... but you have to find animal hides, and prepare your hides using limewater, a few barrels and some tannin... also not an easy process but its fun to figure out

*Note* Nights are vicious in TFC... zombies horde very easily... and will gang up on your if they see you even from a distance... I've had 21 zombies at my door at once... Without armor or shelter you will likely not survive the night!!

Sluicing

The best way to find ore in the beginning is to make a sluice! You can toss gravel or sand into your sluice to get the occasional piece of ore... this is also a long process but it gives you something to do at night.

Farming

As you can see my garden has lots of different crops... tomatos, squash, wheat, barley, peppers, cabbage and rye are a few of the new crops available... theres about 15 different kinds

Food is scarce in TFC so making a garden helps prevent starvation... plus its lots of fun to see your garden grow!

Theres also several fruit trees that can be found in the wild... which are also helpful if you can get a sapling home

Animals are rare in TFC as well, and if you happen to find one and kill it, you might not find another one.... so the best idea is to start breeding them...

The Chisel

One of the best features of the mod is the chisel... Similar to the Knapping grid this tool gives the user the power to sculpt their own creations... the game gives a 10x10x10 grid on any solid block... and the things you can make are only limited to the users imagination... Truly AWESOME!!

Terra Firma Craft is by far the best mod I've played in minecraft...

Its very hard but worth the time you put into it...

SO IF you're a survivalist in minecraft, you have to give Terra Firma Craft a try

You will have to relearn the entire game, but once you get going its very addictive... and a lot of fun

edit on 14-12-2013 by Akragon because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 14 2013 @ 11:30 PM
link   
As an occasional Minecraft player, I may check this out once it's compatible with the latest version.

Though, it does seem to be a rather intense mod, and mods like that can tend to be more aggravating than enjoyable. Hopefully it's more fun, than annoying.

Thanks for the heads up, though.

posted on Dec, 14 2013 @ 11:37 PM
link   
reply to post by ProfessorChaos

The new launcher gives us the ability to use different versions from the past... Even as low as 1.0

At the load up screen go to "edit profile"... Theres an option in that menu to use later versions without reverting

This mod is VERY intense... Armor is really hard to get... And all mobs are 400% stronger the vanilla... Punching zombies is pointless... And they will swamp you fast if you're not careful at night

Give it a try... Its just awesome bro!

And its only going to get better with future updates

Oh and one more thing i forgot to mention... You can also make several kinds of alcohol... Beer, rye, saki, whiskey etc...

Also loads of fun... It slurs your typing as it stands... Hopefully they will add more effects with future updates
edit on 15-12-2013 by Akragon because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 15 2013 @ 12:43 AM
link   
Minecraft junkie here, will so try this out, sounds like a blast.

Thank you for the heads up.

posted on Dec, 17 2013 @ 06:53 AM
link   
Speaking of the chisel... I thought i'd show you guys what you can do with it...

My Throne

And this is my garden now... fruit trees included, and my sluices at the bottem

Lots of fun guys & gals... come check it out

posted on Feb, 8 2014 @ 08:56 PM
link   

Just a heads up for anyone who wants to try TFC without the hassle of moding your client....

Download the Technic client here... www.technicpack.net...

Its worth it even if you don't want to play TFC... some excellent mod packs there

Copy and paste this to the Left side where it says "add new mod pack"...

h.ttp://www.technicpack.net/api/modpack/tomatonet-tfc

(Remove the period from http first)

Press play...

Enjoy...

By the way this is the server I play on... so you might just see me there

And IF you do... be sure to mention that you're from ATS, I will gladly give you a hand...

Er... paw

edit on 8-2-2014 by Akragon because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 20 2014 @ 02:41 AM
link   

Akragon

Just a heads up for anyone who wants to try TFC without the hassle of moding your client....

Download the Technic client here... www.technicpack.net...

Its worth it even if you don't want to play TFC... some excellent mod packs there

Copy and paste this to the Left side where it says "add new mod pack"...

h.ttp://www.technicpack.net/api/modpack/tomatonet-tfc

(Remove the period from http first)

Press play...

Enjoy...

By the way this is the server I play on... so you might just see me there

And IF you do... be sure to mention that you're from ATS, I will gladly give you a hand...

Er... paw

edit on 8-2-2014 by Akragon because: (no reason given)

im checking it out, the server is empty, lol, you guys need some advertising
edit on 3/20/14 by pryingopen3rdeye because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 20 2014 @ 02:54 AM
link   
reply to post by pryingopen3rdeye

Unfortunately, the thing with TFC is that once you hit the top tier, theres nothing to do but build...

The concept is fantastic, its not even a mod... its a reworking of the whole game...

It needs work though... More enemies... Dungeons... Tiered Bosses.... etc

Many people give up because its too hard, or give up after hiting Tier 6

Its still the best "mod" in minecraft... and that is a great server...

posted on Mar, 20 2014 @ 04:20 PM
link   
Once I get my pc fixed, first thing I'm doing is getting this. This is literally what I've been wishing for ever since I started minecraft. Thank you, Akragon.

posted on Sep, 18 2015 @ 06:11 AM
link   
a reply to: Akragon

Noice !!!... I've just got back into Minecraft myself... cheers for the tips. i'll be checking out the mod at a later date.
BTW, anyone familiar with any of the FEED THE BEAST mods? they have dozens of mods as well. i've been mucking around with the 'Techworld' mod...very cool, with heaps of additional materials, ores, vegetation etc etc.
Btw, don't forget to upgrade to 64 bit java....

posted on Sep, 18 2015 @ 08:00 PM
link   
Minecraft is pretty much the only game I play anymore, save for the occasional puzzle game on my phone. I've found a bunch of mods to make things more challenging, but I've never delved into this one. I'll have to watch a Let's Play on Youtube to learn how to play it.

Btw if you're looking for a seriously challenging playthrough, bordering on masochistic, try the Blood N' Bones modpack from the Feed The Beast launcher.

posted on Sep, 19 2015 @ 12:53 AM
link   
a reply to: thepixelgarden

played it for quite a while... loved it

but...

the pack has some serious issues... the food is just ridonkulous

IF anyone ate as much as is needed in that pack, said person would be a whale...

Terrafirmacraft is still the best mod I've ever played... and when they drop a few extra mods in there its just amazing

top topics

join