It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why ETs Have Not Shown Up Yet, And How We Can Say "We're Ready"

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 12 2013 @ 04:09 PM
link   
The following is my opinion.

Take it for what you will.

-

Ive been thinking for a while about why ETs have not shown up, or announced themselves, or just dropped in to say "hi". The existence of Intelligent, advanced ETs to me is both logical, and I would say actually pretty common in the grand scheme of things. So why havnt they shown up?

For a long time I thought that it was because humans are just plain too stupid to deal with, but lately, while probably a factor, I no longer see it as the prime factor thats really preventing ETs from contacting in some way humanity, at least to, as said above, just say "howdy, neighbor."

Why would a general lack of intellect be an inhibiting factor in a decision to make oneself known? Even a relatively dumb people can still be an honest, good people....

Ive thought it may be a lack of wisdom, which is in even greater scarcity than intellect. But even a foolish people can have good hearts....

Perhaps it is just a generalized primitiveness that results from the symbiosis of the first two factors that makes humanity unready for contact, because any kind of contact would be responded to with wild, untamable fear and hysteria. But that answer, while satisfyingly curt, is not fulfilling... its just too vague a supposed cause with too many "why?"s; it doesnt lead to answers that might help change the situation. Its like the "it just is" cop out.

Then I look at the situation from what I think might be the perspective of an ET species... what if I was the ET who had comparably greater intellect and wisdom to some species and had an interest in social outreach, what would stop me from making contact with them? What would stop me from introducing myself to another aspect of creation and attempting to create a synergistic relationship that benefited all parties?

If they were dumb relative to me, I would be delighted to teach them appropriate-to-what-they-can-handle foundations in a hands-off manner, so they could use those foundations to learn, discover, and invent for themselves.

If they were foolish relative to me, I would be elated to introduce them to philosophy and logic.

If they were scared of me, I would be glad to show them that I really do "come in peace", as a friend.

Even if all three were added together, I dont see why it would necessarily result in "this species must remain isolated".

So I think... what WOULD stop me from contacting another species, perhaps as Ive done many times in the past with positive results?

Well... if stupidity, foolishness, and fear are all rectifiable with the right people, and in and of themselves are not full stop errors... what exactly would be such an error?

Hmm... as an ET, it would lead me to think: what can I not teach to a people, no matter how brilliant my species and I may be? What do a people have to learn completely on their own without assistance? What lesson, or attribute of a people would not be genuine if it was "taught"? What paradigm/s can only be totally self-built, lest those paradigms be supported by something else less pure, and indeed they be just facades?

Its a tough question.

But there is one thing I can think of where emulation of an action does not lead to integration into paradigm, because that thing isnt taught via replicating actions, knowledge, etc. It cant be taught, quantified, objectively measured or held in your hands.

Neither dependent on intellect nor wisdom and greater and more important than both; it is the ideal principle of harmony:

It is compassion.

And from the seed of compassion grows love, mercy, forgiveness, selflessness, and ultimately, harmony, all with other life, nature, and the self.

Without compassion, cruelty takes root, and from it grows hate, barbarism, savagery, and ultimately self-destruction.

When we look out upon the human world as a generalized form, which do we see? Is it in resonance with compassion? Or is it strongly attuned into cruelty?

What you and I can see, ETs can too. In fact from their detached perspective, "on the outside" so to speak, it is much, much clearer and easier to see than from our perspective. Being immersed for long periods in something paradoxically makes it more difficult to recognize; or perhaps in our case, just easier to ignore.

And consider that ETs do not simply want to just say "hi". When contact is made with a new species, theyll want to have that species be a member of the community, and share and learn and grow with everybody else in a synergistic manner, you know... like a community... in space.

-

Back to original question... what WOULD stop me, from the perspective of an ET, from making first contact with another species if neither general level of intelligence, wisdom, nor primitive fear of the unknown would necessarily preclude a first contact?

Cruelty would stop me.

Cruelty would preclude any contact with said species indefinitely and without exception, until that cruelty was supplanted with compassion by a critical mass of that species population. To try or want to integrate a cruel species into a community of compassionate ones would run contrary to an ultimate goal of harmony since compassion cannot be taught, but has to be realized by the individual on their own.

And it doesnt take intelligence, or wisdom, to realize compassion, and live it. What exactly might precede a shift to compassion, Im not really sure. Id bet its as varied as the people themselves. However one thing does happen that is universal: a choice is made to change ones life; to change ones central operating paradigm to include compassion as a fundamental concept.

Or, the choice is made to not.

Its our choice, and we can say "we're ready" to join whatever interstellar community there is, which I believe is so much grander than anything we have imagined, by choosing compassion over cruelty. By LIVING compassionately. By being the change we want to see in the world, as Gandhi said. Want to change the world? Change yourself.

The choice really is ours. Heaven or Hell, community or exile.

And if no one is out there... whats the worst that could possibly happen?

We turn from our current trajectory into oblivion and become our own saviors, save the planet, the myriad of myriads of priceless unreplicateable genetic sequences, transform from a barbaric species into a noble one, and become the first of those space faring people who will build that interstellar community with compassion, making a very cold and hostile universe just a little warmer, and a lot more friendly.

edit on 12/12/2013 by CaticusMaximus because: grammar

posted on Dec, 12 2013 @ 04:31 PM
link   
reply to post by CaticusMaximus

We are so far from ready, its not even funny.

posted on Dec, 12 2013 @ 04:37 PM
link   

Well said, my friend; thanks for a very thought-provoking read. I'm afraid we're far from a compassionate civilization as the prevalence of animal cruelty and child abuse in today's society shows. It seems like you can't go a day without reading about the depravity of the human race. Are we getting worse, or is it just a function of the new media and more information being available? God, I hope it's the latter.

I guess all we can do is live the life of compassion and love and wait for the world to catch up. I'm afraid if the requirement for alien contact is a compassionate world, I'm not going to see it in my lifetime.

posted on Dec, 12 2013 @ 04:38 PM
link   
Maybe they are waiting for Earth to become a Type I civilisation which we are on the brink of becoming give or take a hundred years. Remember the Vulcans and Zefram Cochcrane!

posted on Dec, 12 2013 @ 04:39 PM
link   
I like to think that we're "as ready as we'll ever be." No matter what happens, there will be people who will be able to incorporate it into their lives, and people who will freak out and wreck everything for everybody else.

I think that in the long run, any kind of "alien" appearance will fundamentally destroy our existence as we know it. Nothing positive will come from it. Doesn't matter if it happens tomorrow or 500 years from now. It's a game changer.

I will likely be long dead before it happens, though.

posted on Dec, 12 2013 @ 04:54 PM
link   

OneManArmy

We are so far from ready, its not even funny.

I agree with you completely.

The state of affairs is not amusing at all. Its honestly saddening.

westo

Well said, my friend; thanks for a very thought-provoking read. I'm afraid we're far from a compassionate civilization as the prevalence of animal cruelty and child abuse in today's society shows. It seems like you can't go a day without reading about the depravity of the human race. Are we getting worse, or is it just a function of the new media and more information being available? God, I hope it's the latter.

I guess all we can do is live the life of compassion and love and wait for the world to catch up. I'm afraid if the requirement for alien contact is a compassionate world, I'm not going to see it in my lifetime.

Glad you liked it.

And I think youre spot on with all of that, especially the last line. I dont expect to see contact in my lifetime, either.

To the bolded: I have the sense its slowly actually getting worse. I cant put my finger on exactly "why", but humanity seems to devolving at a steady pace emotionally and spiritually, while continuing to advance technologically. That combination of changing factors is absolutely deadly to a species, IMO.

posted on Dec, 12 2013 @ 04:59 PM
link   
You're thread presupposes they aren't actively engaged already like Ian M Banks 'Special Circumstances' from his Culture. If we were being guided in such a manner it may not be noticeable.

Given the potential for different moralities arising from different evolutionary systems its not even certain that the end goals of such interventions would necessarily be viewed as an improvement from where we currently sit. Or even be fathomable to us.

Its tempting to imagine alien cultures to be 'like us but better', I suspect the truth will be far stranger. Just my 2 cents

posted on Dec, 12 2013 @ 05:03 PM
link   

Enough of the high-minded stuff.

If you were to accept that the ETs in their UFOs are really here and then take the logical step of collecting the reports of the sightings, the landings, and most importantly, the abduction cases that have been amassed, you would stop in the ethereal discussions such as above and say, "Oh, wait a minute. We forgot mind control."

Unless we fully recognize that there is a strong compounding factor beyond our usual scope of their higher intelligence, technology and knowledge, we are simply and wistfully whistling in the dark.

Before we allow them into our world, we must come to terms with the ample evidence that these beings have, when they wish to display and use it, the capability of complete mind control over individuals from a distance. When half of humanity can handle that concept without running crazily in the streets at the mere suggestion, then we can talk.

posted on Dec, 12 2013 @ 05:04 PM
link   

Wirral Bagpuss
Maybe they are waiting for Earth to become a Type I civilisation which we are on the brink of becoming give or take a hundred years. Remember the Vulcans and Zefram Cochcrane!

I really doubt thats what they are waiting for. I think thats a human fantasy, popularized by star trek, that all a species needs to be, well... civilized, I guess is a good way to put it, is technology.

There are many civil people living in mud huts with the best tech available being sticks or something, and many, many savages living in mansions with technology we might not even be aware of, but at a minimum, the best and the latest.

Blue Shift
I like to think that we're "as ready as we'll ever be." No matter what happens, there will be people who will be able to incorporate it into their lives, and people who will freak out and wreck everything for everybody else.

I think that in the long run, any kind of "alien" appearance will fundamentally destroy our existence as we know it. Nothing positive will come from it. Doesn't matter if it happens tomorrow or 500 years from now. It's a game changer.

I will likely be long dead before it happens, though.

I think human civilization would only be so destroyed if it were to remain as it is today.

A point I was getting at in the OP, but didnt make very clear, was that compassion in the stead of cruelty changes everything. Society would no longer be fear based; it would be operating in such a way that alien contact would be seen a wonderful event; a joining into the real community that we are a part of in the galaxy.

Its hard to describe in a concise fashion. But a species embracing compassion would be nothing like the species humanity is today.

So I guess in a sense humanity would be destroyed, at least in its current form. If it embraced compassion, it would be something totally different than what it is today.

Needless to say, it would be better beyond words.

posted on Dec, 12 2013 @ 05:08 PM
link   

Aliensun

Enough of the high-minded stuff.

If you were to accept that the ETs in their UFOs are really here and then take the logical step of collecting the reports of the sightings, the landings, and most importantly, the abduction cases that have been amassed, you would stop in the ethereal discussions such as above and say, "Oh, wait a minute. We forgot mind control."

Unless we fully recognize that there is a strong compounding factor beyond our usual scope of their higher intelligence, technology and knowledge, we are simply and wistfully whistling in the dark.

Before we allow them into our world, we must come to terms with the ample evidence that these beings have, when they wish to display and use it, the capability of complete mind control over individuals from a distance. When half of humanity can handle that concept without running crazily in the streets at the mere suggestion, then we can talk.

I have long thought that earth is just a large petri dish and we are an experiment by aliens.
I thought this long before Zacharia Sitchin came along and made the idea laughable by association.
Its just an instict, I cannot prove it at all.

posted on Dec, 12 2013 @ 05:19 PM
link   

justwokeup
You're thread presupposes they aren't actively engaged already like Ian M Banks 'Special Circumstances' from his Culture. If we were being guided in such a manner it may not be noticeable

Indeed, I do not think they are very active, if active at all, in any kind of hands on way.

I really think that humanity is in a very deep rut of blaming something else for its own issues, thinking itself to be pure, and that something else external is corrupting it.

It was demons for a thousand years (and still is to some), some today blame aliens, or even inter-dimensional intelligences (which I do consider to have plausibility as an INFLUENCING force, albeit not a compelling force, but that delves very deep into speculative notions)

I think it comes down to not wanting to take personal responsibility for actions, and that comes down to generalized immaturity, on humanitys part.

Aliensun

I am aware of, but simply just dont buy that avenue of thought.

If malevolent ETs with interstellar travel capabilities, assumed with FTL technology, wanted to do something nefarious, they could do it without a second thought, right in the open without any kind of fear of retaliation. Nothing would need to be hidden, and doing so anyway would probably consume unnecessary resources, and I dont think they would do it just for teh lulz.

Now I dont know what to make of those reports, and I dont call them fake or not real, but I dont think its likely that ETs are responsible. I would find it much more likely that such phenomena was of human origin.

Just my opinion.

posted on Dec, 12 2013 @ 05:22 PM
link   

One could make the same argument that the reason why ufo's have not shown up is the same reason god has not shown up.

posted on Dec, 12 2013 @ 05:23 PM
link   
hello readers...longtime,no post. maybe you get to be in the know by being of the proper mindset = open. very recently i viewed the whole 1st season of a series titled "paranormal" which aired in 05/06. on the second disk & second episode of that disk early/at the begging of the filling station scene if you look up into the sky you'll see a jet vapor trail w/2 dots above that that look like eyes forming what looks like a crude stick face...neither a smile or frown 'cause the vapor trail is straight. what kind of people'd watch a series like that anyways=open minded imo. perhaps someone tech savvy enough could look into this; perhaps it's a given that only the extremely observant'll notice their subtle revelations? i agree with the compassion theory. perhaps those that are compatible with them'll be beamed up so to speak if the blank does finally hit the fan? my advise= remain or develop compassion & stay alert.

posted on Dec, 12 2013 @ 05:58 PM
link   

they've shown up to me and many other people already, so it's already happened as far as I'm concerned. Not my fault if the rest can't wrap their head around it.

my money's on them already being here and they've probably been monitoring our communications and actions much longer than the nsa. My question is this: Are they going to hold us accountable for the few select people who are running things and forcing us to live this way? Why should I be penalized for being an ignorant human?

To me the best way would be first on a more personal level not on a mass scale all at once, too Hollywood.

posted on Dec, 12 2013 @ 06:48 PM
link   
Actual reason for Aliens not dropping in, even on accident:

The Universe is bigger than 500 miles across.

In fact, The universe might, maybe, possibly be even bigger than 1000 miles across.

This is a shocker to some, but, the Universe is SO big, so enormously vast, that even if all of humanity inhabited every single habitable planet in THIS Galaxy, even if there were hundreds of Billions of other inhabited Galaxies, there's still enough room that the likelihood of any other intelligent technologically advanced species finding any other is still quite small.

Do we inhabit the whole of this Galaxy?
No.
Only one tiny mote of a planet.

In the scale of things, even if we inhabited the entirety of The Milky Way, our galaxy, all of it, we'd still have a tiny footprint easily missed.

posted on Dec, 12 2013 @ 07:01 PM
link   
A lot of assumptions with this post, although I personally believe intelligent alien life is vastly spread throughout the universe and would believe some of the assumptions to be true.

Now assuming there is some galactic community that is completely benevolent and assuming they are aware of us and waiting for our development so that we would be worthy of contact, how could you not assume they would try to guide us towards compassion.

If they tried to guide us what would that look like. Could it be sending one of them to live as a human with their ideology, knowledge and advanced technology to be able to perform tasks thought to be miracles among the human population. With those miracles you could help promote a better more compasionate way of life.

If everything you assume were true then great people such as jesus may have been guides to help lead our race to the correct path.

Of course this is full of assumptions but we know next to nothing for sure. Anything truely is possible.

posted on Dec, 12 2013 @ 07:17 PM
link   
reply to post by AliceBleachWhite

You know Alice your post might have far more assumptions it seems.

You assume our little galaxy is not filled with life or it seems that you assumd we are the only intelligent life in it.

You either assume that humans are the most advanced or you assume other civilizations no matter how much older or how much more knowledge they have are not ever able to find answers to travelling such vast distances. (This assumption is far fetched considering that even we have theories being tested right now that might solve that issue such as warp drive)

You also assume for us to have a real chance at contact we must occupy our entire galaxy. That seems the craziest notion of all especially considering we keep learning the chances for finding life even in our own tiny little solar system are getting higher and higher. With possible flowing water on mars and possible water geysers on that icy moon (going blank on name). The chances of us finding life beyond earth keep increasing the more we learn in our own tiny litle solar system.

edit on 12-12-2013 by inquisitive1977 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 12 2013 @ 07:29 PM
link   
reply to post by inquisitive1977

Yep, as we learn more and more, it seems the prospect of life elsewhere off Earth just seems to increase and increase.

To me there is no question; even though Ive never seen an ET, UFO, etc, I firmly believe they exist. The universe has been around a very long time, and its almost inconceivable to me that no one and no thing came before Earth, and all outside of Earth is a dead wasteland.

IMO it takes a much more gigantic leap of faith to believe that the universe is an immense wasteland save for one tiny oasis, rather than that theres life all over, but we just have yet to discover it because we are not yet that advanced.

The "universe is a wasteland... except for here" theory, which is what I will now call it, I think is simply a symptom of a young and immature species that has yet to develop to any significant degree.

And without a big change of character, I dont think this species will develop much further before it destroys itself.

edit on 12/12/2013 by CaticusMaximus because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 12 2013 @ 07:30 PM
link   
Why do you assume they are not here already? Because they have to make an appearance according to your "movie" impressions? Their "ships" have to land, the doors open up and they come out all smiling and waving?

Thats really not giving advanced cultures much credit. What they look like....whether they "fly" around or "blip" about...have 12 arms or no arms....I think we have no way of even understanding any of it.

For that matter....I think they are here, look like nothing we can imagine...and dont "fly" around in "spaceship-flying-saucers"....

Thats not really "advanced" huh? We have to think out-of-the-box regarding their appearance, design and intents.

Thats why there will never be a unified "disclosure"....because eventually...there will have to be an "acceptance"...that by using a reasonable, intellegent assumption...that they are here and have always been here.

posted on Dec, 12 2013 @ 07:33 PM
link   

My favorite assumption about the "lack" of open contact comes pretty much in two flavors.

It is wholy inevitable that an advanced civilization would know its own impact on a variety of social and species types and based on compassion or cruelty (as you've described it) leave us alone for a number of reasons or exploit us in ways we cant comprehend.

I say cant comprehend because im sure an advanced civilization will know enough to put down a large amount of our own sacred myths, idiosyncrasies, and bad habits. With superior scientific knowledge and experiences. needless to say some facets of an advances species or civilization might blow our minds sufficiently or go over our heads utterly to the point of not caring about it (when we probably should or be mature enough to know wither or not we should).

The same reasons for keeping us in the dark could fit any personal criteria we cant imagine either.

I mean really in the long run whether were trying to prove a negative (somewhat impossible) that its not happening or proving the positive (somewhat easier) that it is the second possibility is probably more personally insulting that its not really occurred to most.

That there's plenty of ET contact, politics and situations in the winds that.. don't even effect our daily lives anymore then international events in the news affects how you eat your breakfast in the morning... and that just means were not in a club that matters.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join